The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 February 2020, 11:41 PM   #1
MillyS
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, 126710BLNR
AD Suggestions

Hi All

After wanting the Rolex Sub since I was 15, I promised myself I would get one after hitting certain milestones, I am now in a position to purchase one. As this will be my first Rolex, I am willing to wait (though not happy about it) for one to be made available via an AD.

I approached an AD in Lakeside, Essex - Asked if I had a purchase history with them (I don't) and was then told there are hundreds on people before me but I can fill out an interest form - felt like a polite 'you wont get one from us'.

Any recommendations for ADs in London, UK?

Also, any particular questions I should be asking ADs?

Thanks in advance
MillyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 08:15 AM   #2
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillyS View Post
Hi All

After wanting the Rolex Sub since I was 15, I promised myself I would get one after hitting certain milestones, I am now in a position to purchase one. As this will be my first Rolex, I am willing to wait (though not happy about it) for one to be made available via an AD.

I approached an AD in Lakeside, Essex - Asked if I had a purchase history with them (I don't) and was then told there are hundreds on people before me but I can fill out an interest form - felt like a polite 'you wont get one from us'.

Any recommendations for ADs in London, UK?

Also, any particular questions I should be asking ADs?

Thanks in advance
With no purchase history at an AD, You will certainly struggle. However people have got lucky, so you have a chance, although slim.

Spending will get you in their good books, and best customers will always get priority.

If you’re not prepared to put in the leg work, just go grey and spend over RRP and you’ll get one immediately. As the AD says, loads are after a sub at RRP.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 08:23 AM   #3
IndianRider
Banned

Watch: ing shameless
Go grey. At least in the US, MSRP with tax comes to around 10k. You can get one grey for 12k. You may be waiting a year in the US. From what I've read this could be longer in the UK. So just spend the extra and get grey. I wouldn't say the same thing if you wanted a batgirl, pepsi, or daytona, but yes for a sub. Enjoy and congrats
IndianRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 08:27 AM   #4
shas95
"TRF" Member

I’m in the exact same boat as you. Got told it could take 4-6 years by a small AD. They still took my details down in a piece of paper.
shas95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 08:33 AM   #5
IndianRider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shas95 View Post
I’m in the exact same boat as you. Got told it could take 4-6 years by a small AD. They still took my details down in a piece of paper.
4-6 years versus paying 2000 USD...definitely go grey.
Old 21 February 2020, 08:36 AM   #6
mcnealstash
Banned

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
Based on comments I've seen on this forum the past few months, London seems to be one of the hardest markets to get any SS sports models in. Where I live in the midwest U.S., it only took me about 3.5 months to get a Black SubC date.

I'd probably just go grey, or be willing to move somewhere the demand is lower (sorry that this is just the state of the game at the moment...).
mcnealstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 08:42 AM   #7
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
Don't be frustrated. You were asked about your history with the store and offered to be put on a list. That doesn't mean that the AD doesn't wish to get a sub for you. Sub is a very common piece and the big spenders probably already have a sub if they want one. So be patient, keep going in to that AD, and find out when their shipment arrives, probably on Friday, and be there asking if they got a sub.
Old 21 February 2020, 08:49 AM   #8
IndianRider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rado63 View Post
Don't be frustrated. You were asked about your history with the store and offered to be put on a list. That doesn't mean that the AD doesn't wish to get a sub for you. Sub is a very common piece and the big spenders probably already have a sub if they want one. So be patient, keep going in to that AD, and find out when their shipment arrives, probably on Friday, and be there asking if they got a sub.
This would work in the US but I doubt in the UK
Old 21 February 2020, 08:54 AM   #9
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
I was on vacation in Barbados over December and it felt like 8/10 British men had a submariner on. 5/10 British ladies seemed to be wearing datejusts.

It was by far the most rolexes I had ever seen in the wild. I was very surprised how popular they were with the British tourists.

So not surprised to hear how tough it is in the UK to find SS subs
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 02:01 PM   #10
cdubg21
Banned

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by shas95 View Post
For a black submariner?!?!
cdubg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 02:06 PM   #11
gracian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
That’s crazy. Maybe you could get lucky traveling where they are less popular. Seems like a lot of good incoming stories recently.
gracian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 06:59 PM   #12
MillyS
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, 126710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
With no purchase history at an AD, You will certainly struggle. However people have got lucky, so you have a chance, although slim.

Spending will get you in their good books, and best customers will always get priority.

If you’re not prepared to put in the leg work, just go grey and spend over RRP and you’ll get one immediately. As the AD says, loads are after a sub at RRP.
Its a shame really, as this is how I planned on starting a relation ship with an AD. There are a few Rolexes I would like to eventually own.

That said, my wife likes a DJ so will get her one too. Maybe ADs will look more favourably on a 2 watch purchase.

I was offered the Sub for £7700 and the DJ at 10% discount to MSRP - almost brings the total on par with the MSRP - but from another retailer -considering this but would still rather the AD experience for my first purchase.
MillyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 01:15 AM   #13
shas95
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubg21 View Post
For a black submariner?!?!
Yep no date 114060. I offered to leave a deposit which they declined even though reviews on google indicate that a deposit secures a watch.
shas95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 01:21 AM   #14
bp1000
"TRF" Member

A new sub is possibly coming out at Basel World this year.

So I highly recommend you watch out for that and ring your local AD(s) ASAP.

AD's do typically start a new list when a new watch is released. BUT if you are a good client, if that happens to be an update version of a watch you are on a list for already, they transfer you.

But, point being, ring up asap and you should be in a decent place.

Providing they know you are a serious and you go in from time to time, it can help.

P.S. 4-6 years is to put you off. You should get a no date sub within 6-18 months. With 12-14 months being more likely. Add another 1/3rd onto that for a date.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 02:16 AM   #15
Roli84
"TRF" Member

I’ve tended to find the watches of Switzerland group of ADs far more difficult than other ADs in London and Home Counties.
Roli84 is offline   Reply With Quote