The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 February 2020, 12:37 PM   #31
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Don't feed into the negativity OP.

The DD is a classic, all gold. It will likely hold value. But condition means a lot here. You have to buy at the right pre-owned price. If you buy at the right price, you will not lose much of any money, you may even gain some. But I wouldn't call any of these two watches and investment, but I don't think you truly meant investment in the general sense of the word.
JacksonRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 02:24 PM   #32
speedyomega
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
These replies are uncharacteristically not helpful.

I don't know why people say the DD will lose money. It's already totally depreciated. Will definitely *lose less* than the new DJ. The DJ will never increase in value. It will depreciate and then, many years from now, it will start to go up in price based on inflation alone, not real value.

I agree watches aren't an investment, but there is an answer to the question and it's DD.
speedyomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 02:38 PM   #33
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
If my DD you’re referring to a stock symbol, then buy that investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gtnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 02:41 PM   #34
peterpl
Banned

F*k me another investment thread.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 02:50 PM   #35
Anton911
Banned

Watch: Daytona,hulk
None,don’t buy either.Not an investment
Anton911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 03:36 PM   #36
Silver_Fox
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, SPB119J1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duende01 View Post
For a long term investment choose a Total Stock Market Index Fund.

This

Silver_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 03:41 PM   #37
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Without knowing the amount of time, it would just be a guess not an investment
Nah. Whether he sells right away or waits 10 years, he's probably going to sell at a loss with those two watches. I'd hate to have to tell my friends that I bought a particular watch because I would have lost more money buying the other one.

OP, you're going to lose one way or the other. Might as well "lose happily" and buy the one you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtnator View Post
If my DD you’re referring to a stock symbol, then buy that investment.
Meh. DuPont's overvalued
Old 21 February 2020, 04:18 PM   #38
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
Whats a better investment DD 18238 or DJ 126333

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyomega View Post
These replies are uncharacteristically not helpful.

I don't know why people say the DD will lose money. It's already totally depreciated. Will definitely *lose less* than the new DJ. The DJ will never increase in value. It will depreciate and then, many years from now, it will start to go up in price based on inflation alone, not real value.

I agree watches aren't an investment, but there is an answer to the question and it's DD.

This! But you need to see if there is major stretch in the DD. If there is then it will cost you a pretty penny to have it overhauled. Does the DD have box and papers? It’s 25 years old. It will not be as robust as a modern DJ with the newest movement.

Will this be a everyday watch? Or just a dress watch. A lot of factors come into play. If your set on a classic Rolex I suggest a DJ41 fluted jubilee with blue stick dial. That watch won’t lose a lot of money in the short to medium future. It’s already an allocated piece until Rolex changes it and there is a waiting list for it. If you want a Rolex that won’t lose value look at the GMTs or submariners in SS.

In the end buy what you love. Wear it and in a few years you should get back at least 75 percent of your money on either watch. I think the DD36 is like a 10 year old BMW 7 series. You can buy them cheap but if something goes wrong the repair will be much higher then a new Lexus is250 (DJ41)

teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 04:24 PM   #39
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Both of those will lose you plenty of money.
Which is good for anyone talking about an investment and picking a gold or two tone watch. Learning it the hard way
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 04:30 PM   #40
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
A nice DD trumps a DJ.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2020, 06:40 PM   #41
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
My vote is without doubt the DD.

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2020, 07:43 AM   #42
520lux
"TRF" Member

Well I thought about it from many points of view and decided on the DD for a few reasons.

I think that if the value of a 25 year old DD watch holds the same value of a new DJ watch then that must mean something! Im sure a 25 year old DJ doesn't hold nearly as much value and I have seen them sell for as little as $2k for a TT DJ...I also thought since I already own a TT DJ II it would be nice to have a totaly different style watch and what not better than an all gold DD as that second watch..I will most likely only use as a dress watch but time will tell!

I also looked at it like this...I most likely won't be able to fork out $30K for a newer used DD 40 and If I do Im not so sure I would want to spend that type of money on a watch given my life and other obligations. Me and my wife try to be humble and although we do ok....a $30K watch is really living outside my means. I have about $1-$13K budget on watch purchasing and I will never find a 40MM DD in that price range thus will probably never own one but, thats ok because there are people that can afford those watches with no financial worries and are at another level then me and thats ok too...

I have a 3 day no hassle return if I get it and its not up to my standards or I find it just to small, I can return it and then go back to getting the newer DJ 41 so in the end I will make sure I am happy with the purchase.

The other reason for the DD 36 is that when I was a little boy I had an uncle who had an all gold DD and I always admired him and looked up to him. I always thought I would one day own a ROLEX PRESIDENT watch, I guess it is really my grail watch!! Something that really catches my eye on the 36mm over the 40mm or the 41mm DD is that the 36mm crystal sits higher than the bezel and for what ever reason (and I hope Im not the only one) that detail is like eye candy to me! I just love the way that crystal looks sitting above the bezel...Before the newer bigger models of the DD came out as I was walking in the streets, stores or where ever I was at if someone had an all gold watch that was the one thing that I would look for and think to myself damn they are wearing a ROLEX.....even the older DJ had the raised crystal and WOW just wow...I love it!!! That is one huge thing about there newer bigger watches they lack certain characteristics that the older watches have and still have today......

Now just gotta wait until tomorrow when it arrives to see if its a keeper or not...but at least at this point with the help of the forum and my wife and many hours of online searching I finally pulled the trigger...here is the one that I went with...I just love the gloss white dial with gold romans on yellow gold!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13.jpg (86.1 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 14.jpg (59.9 KB, 47 views)
<a href=https://flic.kr/p/HFRqgL target=_blank><a href=https://c3.staticflickr.com/8/7597/27361612970_e4487f9949.jpg target=_blank>https://c3.staticflickr.com/8/7597/2...e4487f9949.jpg</a></a><a href=https://flic.kr/p/HFRqgL target=_blank>sig</a> by <a href=https://www.flickr.com/photos/vipgraphx/ target=_blank>VIPGraphX</a>, on Flickr
520lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 05:30 AM   #43
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by 520lux View Post
Well I thought about it from many points of view and decided on the DD for a few reasons.

I think that if the value of a 25 year old DD watch holds the same value of a new DJ watch then that must mean something! Im sure a 25 year old DJ doesn't hold nearly as much value and I have seen them sell for as little as $2k for a TT DJ...I also thought since I already own a TT DJ II it would be nice to have a totaly different style watch and what not better than an all gold DD as that second watch..I will most likely only use as a dress watch but time will tell!

I also looked at it like this...I most likely won't be able to fork out $30K for a newer used DD 40 and If I do Im not so sure I would want to spend that type of money on a watch given my life and other obligations. Me and my wife try to be humble and although we do ok....a $30K watch is really living outside my means. I have about $1-$13K budget on watch purchasing and I will never find a 40MM DD in that price range thus will probably never own one but, thats ok because there are people that can afford those watches with no financial worries and are at another level then me and thats ok too...

I have a 3 day no hassle return if I get it and its not up to my standards or I find it just to small, I can return it and then go back to getting the newer DJ 41 so in the end I will make sure I am happy with the purchase.

The other reason for the DD 36 is that when I was a little boy I had an uncle who had an all gold DD and I always admired him and looked up to him. I always thought I would one day own a ROLEX PRESIDENT watch, I guess it is really my grail watch!! Something that really catches my eye on the 36mm over the 40mm or the 41mm DD is that the 36mm crystal sits higher than the bezel and for what ever reason (and I hope Im not the only one) that detail is like eye candy to me! I just love the way that crystal looks sitting above the bezel...Before the newer bigger models of the DD came out as I was walking in the streets, stores or where ever I was at if someone had an all gold watch that was the one thing that I would look for and think to myself damn they are wearing a ROLEX.....even the older DJ had the raised crystal and WOW just wow...I love it!!! That is one huge thing about there newer bigger watches they lack certain characteristics that the older watches have and still have today......

Now just gotta wait until tomorrow when it arrives to see if its a keeper or not...but at least at this point with the help of the forum and my wife and many hours of online searching I finally pulled the trigger...here is the one that I went with...I just love the gloss white dial with gold romans on yellow gold!!!!
Congratulations.

Great choice.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 05:56 AM   #44
doramas
Banned

The DD will outlive him.
Buy the Rolex you like best.
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2020, 06:01 AM   #45
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Neither seem like a good investment to me honestly.
Old 24 February 2020, 12:32 PM   #46
fed_fan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk
Neither. Read the latest Berkshire Hathaway annual letter...just came out this weekend. That ought to give you an idea of what an investment is...
fed_fan is offline   Reply With Quote