The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11 April 2016, 08:23 AM   #1
tunadubby
"TRF" Member

Why is the Milgauss so unpopular?

Is it the thickness, the thunder hands, the price, the heft?

Please share your thoughts on why the modern milgauss gets no love, while the vintage milgauss gets lots of love?
Old 11 April 2016, 08:45 AM   #2
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
Orange not a popular colour, squiggle second hand is not popular, pcls unpopular generally, no date, thick and clunky, very colorful so not great as an only piece to some, thick case and Faraday cage is a useless complication...at least you can time a pizza with a sub. I could go on...small crown...its the only sports watch to have the crappy date just clasp (no flip lock)....etc etc.

That being said I think it's a lovely watch.

As for vintage...it is only popular because it was so unpopular when it was in circulation .
Old 11 April 2016, 08:49 AM   #3
tunadubby
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by japenney View Post

As for vintage...it is only popular because it was so unpopular when it was in circulation .
Truth!....and so were the PN daytonas =)
Old 11 April 2016, 06:30 PM   #4
Bruins7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex(4),15400
I love mine!
Old 12 April 2016, 09:49 AM   #5
southcarolina1801
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Orange not a popular colour, squiggle second hand is not popular, pcls unpopular generally, no date, thick and clunky, very colorful so not great as an only piece to some, thick case and Faraday cage is a useless complication...at least you can time a pizza with a sub. I could go on...small crown...its the only sports watch to have the crappy date just clasp (no flip lock)....etc etc.

Crappy date just clasp?!? The clasp on the modern DJ's are fantastic, even without the flip lock.
Old 12 April 2016, 10:39 AM   #6
japenney
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southcarolina1801 View Post
Crappy date just clasp?!? The clasp on the modern DJ's are fantastic, even without the flip lock.
Your right, the datejust clasp is not "crappy" but the flip lock is arguably better and it is on every other sports model except the milgauss. Even the significantly less expensive 214270 explorer has a flip lock. It just feels sturdier and using the flip lock is a small pleasure in itself.
Old 12 April 2016, 11:04 AM   #7
Bruins7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex(4),15400
Quote:
Your right, the datejust clasp is not "crappy" but the flip lock is arguably better and it is on every other sports model except the milgauss. Even the significantly less expensive 214270 explorer has a flip lock. It just feels sturdier and using the flip lock is a small pleasure in itself.
You're*
Old 12 April 2016, 11:09 AM   #8
japenney
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins7 View Post
You're*
Sorry, sometimes i dont take the time to correct my grammar on an internet forum. Does that make my opinion invalid?
Old 13 April 2016, 12:43 AM   #9
bodhipooh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
very colorful so not great as an only piece to some
Funny, its "colorfulness" is a PLUS to me. ;)

While I am normally as strait-laced as they come, I am big into colorful/wild shirts, and I am particularly partial to the orange color, so I have been eyeing a Milgauss 116400GV as a second or third piece.
Old 21 April 2016, 12:36 PM   #10
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:

Not a "squiggle" but a lighting bolt. Given the watch's function, that is pretty cool. A lighting bolt would look silly on a DateJust.

That being said, the no-date and color scheme give it a more limited appeal than others in the Rolex line. I'm not a fan of green and, for example, I would never consider an LV, especially for a one-watch person. But, everyone has a different taste, and it is nice that Rolex makes some watches intentionally that are not designed to appeal to everyone.
Old 22 February 2017, 02:49 AM   #11
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:

Faraday cage is not useless. Watches get magnetized.
Old 6 March 2017, 12:57 PM   #12
KingRichard
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yep that pretty much sums it up. I've never desired a Rolex with a lightning bolt for a hand.
Old 23 March 2017, 06:02 PM   #13
Taurus75
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I don't see the white Milgauss on Rolex website. Just curious has it been discontinued too?
Old 23 March 2017, 07:55 PM   #14
wuyeah
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus75 View Post
I don't see the white Milgauss on Rolex website. Just curious has it been discontinued too?
YES. It is discontinued.
Old 22 January 2019, 09:26 AM   #15
alphasports
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This is pretty accurate tho' I dispute the anti-orange sentiment, I like that much about it (but the lightning bolt second hand is...well...let's leave it at F---ED UP). The same criticisms can apply to current Air King which IMO is just an excuse to get rid of excess Milgauss parts inventory (other than the quirky dial it's the same watch, I had an AK for a few weeks but revolted and went back to my GMT LN & Explorer). Don't really understand the Rolex mentality behind Milgauss/AK....a specialized antimagnetic watch that is has very little antimagnetic capability, like 1/15 of the Omega equivalent, at over 2x the price.

Then again we're talking about Rolex so who the F knows what they're thinking.
Old 28 August 2019, 10:18 AM   #16
TempoKing
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
Quote:

.....I couldn’t have said it better ....
Old 15 February 2021, 03:58 AM   #17
rolexjackson
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, GMT, Daytona
Quote:

Nail on the head! Every single word here is EXACTLY why

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11 April 2016, 08:45 AM   #18
soundserious
"TRF" Member

It's a nice watch but I guess people in the market for a first or other Tolex have lots of choices. I'd much rather look toward a Datejust or an Explorer personally.
Old 11 April 2016, 08:51 AM   #19
tunadubby
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundserious View Post
It's a nice watch but I guess people in the market for a first or other Tolex have lots of choices. I'd much rather look toward a Datejust or an Explorer personally.
I, too, never thought about it, until I realized for roughly the same price of the modern Explorer, I can get a clear crystal milgauss.

I still prefer the look and feel of the explorer, but the Milgauss intrigues me...
Old 17 May 2019, 08:26 AM   #20
Madman37
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundserious View Post
I would love a Tolex but they have been discontinued. Only get them on grey.
Old 17 May 2019, 08:28 AM   #21
Ricky Rolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman37 View Post
I would love a Tolex but they have been discontinued. Only get them on grey.

♛GMT II Coke 16710♛ ♛DateJust 16030♛ ♛Explorer 214270 mk2♛ Submariner 116610LN♛ 126711CHNR ♛
Old 11 April 2016, 08:48 AM   #22
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

It was quite popular when Rolex re-introduced the watch some 8+ years ago. However over the years, interest has waned. You can do a search for threads here from 2008 or so and it was quite well received back then.
Old 11 April 2016, 08:52 AM   #23
tunadubby
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
It was quite popular when Rolex re-introduced the watch some 8+ years ago. However over the years, interest has waned. You can do a search for threads here from 2008 or so and it was quite well received back then.
Interesting. Thanks, I didn't know this....
Old 11 April 2016, 11:11 AM   #24
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
It's a very nice watch w the black or blue face and green glass.
Old 6 January 2021, 02:18 PM   #25
Runfar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Exactly !!
Old 11 April 2016, 08:50 AM   #26
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Probably price as much as anything. You can get the Explorer II with two complications for the same price.
Old 11 April 2016, 08:53 AM   #27
aperna
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
IMG_0734.jpg

One of my favorites!!!
Old 11 April 2016, 08:55 AM   #28
tunadubby
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperna View Post
Attachment 730544

One of my favorites!!!
Seriously - just look at those awesome colors!!
Old 11 April 2016, 09:04 AM   #29
adawil2002
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16550 Explorer II
Unpopular? Is that a personal opinion or based on sales? Really enjoy and appreciate mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Milgauss 06.jpg (86.3 KB, 15351 views)
6284 SS, 16014 SS Jubilee silver stick, 16253 TT Blue Thunderbird, 16550 SS Exp II Cream, bought in 1986, 116400GV Z-blue Milgauss, 79260 Tudor, 116660 DSSD-Blue, 116500LV Daytona White, 116710 BLNR, 326934 Blue Skydweller
Old 11 April 2016, 09:09 AM   #30
tunadubby
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawil2002 View Post
Unpopular? Is that a personal opinion or based on sales? Really enjoy and appreciate mine.
Apologies. The better word would be under-appreciated.

This is based on its receptiveness in the second hand market. I am, in fact, considering to get one. I think it's awesome.
Closed Thread