The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 August 2021, 01:31 PM   #1
BigBallerBrand
Banned

Any PM watches worth purchasing just to get SS models more quickly?

Been trying to get some hot SS models for years (Hulk, Pepsi, ND Sub, etc.) with no luck. Bought a TT bluesy in 2018 to “establish a relationship” but apparently that isn’t enough since there are much heavy spenders out there.

I’m thinking of buying a PM GMT, SUB, or Daytona. Would that help me get some SS models? Or is obtaining a PM nowadays hard to get as well?
BigBallerBrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 01:35 PM   #2
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
I wouldn’t spend a dime on anything that I didn’t really, really want. And you’re answering your own questions.
Old 10 August 2021, 01:37 PM   #3
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

No
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 01:44 PM   #4
peterpl
Banned

Why?

If you dont want PM dont buy it. Just pay market price for the piece you want.

These days even if you wanted PM there is like 6-12 months or more waitlist anyway. Nothing is available these days.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 01:44 PM   #5
quantumdna
"TRF" Member

Watch: VC 4000V
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBallerBrand View Post
Been trying to get some hot SS models for years (Hulk, Pepsi, ND Sub, etc.) with no luck. Bought a TT bluesy in 2018 to “establish a relationship” but apparently that isn’t enough since there are much heavy spenders out there.

I’m thinking of buying a PM GMT, SUB, or Daytona. Would that help me get some SS models? Or is obtaining a PM nowadays hard to get as well?

Gold is the new steel. Now there is a “waitlist” to buy PM GMT, Subs or Daytona’s. If you really wanna climb the ladder, you may have to spend money on Platinum Day Dates, jewelry or ladies watches.
Old 10 August 2021, 01:52 PM   #6
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumdna View Post
Gold is the new steel. Now there is a “waitlist” to buy PM GMT, Subs or Daytona’s. If you really wanna climb the ladder, you may have to spend money on Platinum Day Dates, jewelry or ladies watches.
Exactly!!

Gold is the new SS. Its the hyped metal now.

You wont be able to get any Gold pieces that easily and most are selling above MSRP on the gray market now anyway. Even Plat DD and Plat Daytona you wont be able to buy and these costs a bomb.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 02:38 PM   #7
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Why spend £30k+ to get a £7.5k watch???

If you really want one that much & can't get one from your AD then pay the premium from a grey dealer.

Yes, you will probably be paying double retail for a GMT but you could get 2 watches you really want for the price of 1 PM piece you don't really want.

I'm not generally an advocate of the grey market, but in this case it makes sense to me.

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 02:52 PM   #8
Sub*Man
"TRF" Member

Watch: The HYPED ones
Quote:

I’m not sure anyone has answered your question yet. Will it help you get stainless models, the answer is yes. It will build up your spend history, although depending on the A.D., Rolex dollars don’t go as far towards spend history as jewelry dollars, diamond dollars etc. But once I started purchasing precious metal models, the stainless pieces did start flowing for me. Now I prefer precious metal, so I didn’t buy those just to get the stainless, my thought was I will acquire them in conjunction.

Gold models can still be ordered, although all sports modes are allocated now. So it would be very difficult to get a gold Daytona, however you could order a gold day date.
Panerai 1033 GMT -
God is Good
Sub*Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 03:37 PM   #9
Master_Grogu
Banned

126618 and 126619 have long wait time now. Also, if you want a model and spend 40k for the right to get it, you might end up disappointed.
Master_Grogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 03:55 PM   #10
Neurogeek
"TRF" Member

In australia, PM Sports are allocation pieces. They are harder to get compare to SS sports.
Old 10 August 2021, 04:20 PM   #11
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Buying a gold Sub to get a steel Sub, a gold Daytona to get a steel Daytona, a gold GMT........

Maybe just take a pause and say it out loud to realize how insensible that sounds.

As far as purchase history, every AD is different and making up the rules as they go along, so don't count on anyone elses' experience as having any bearing, at all, on how yours might turn out....
Old 10 August 2021, 04:58 PM   #12
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
What a bizarre question, you have the means to buy a PM but want a SS but want to know if you can buy a watch you don't want that's 4x the money so you can have the privilege to buy the watch you want.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 08:00 PM   #13
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I hate to state the obvious…. But if you have the money to buy a PM watch, only for the purpose of getting to purchase a SS at MSRP…. This makes zero sense. First, i would never spend money on a watch I didn’t really want, and second, the money you “save” by getting a SS at MSRP is less then if you purchased the SS from a Gray. I know, you could then sell the PM, but I really don’t think there would be a savings of money in the long run.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 08:22 PM   #14
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
What a bizarre question, you have the means to buy a PM but want a SS but want to know if you can buy a watch you don't want that's 4x the money so you can have the privilege to buy the watch you want.
I know so weird now, a decade ago I bought SS because I couldn't or rather didn't want to afford a PM, until this forum did its usual enabling thing, how the tables have turned in this mad new world. People now buying PM as they don't want to afford a grey SS.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 08:23 PM   #15
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Mad! View Post

If you really want one that much & can't get one from your AD then pay the premium from a grey dealer.

Yes, you will probably be paying double retail for a GMT but you could get 2 watches you really want for the price of 1 PM piece you don't really want.

I'm not generally an advocate of the grey market, but in this case it makes sense to me.
This ^.

What makes more sense? - Spending £30k on something you don’t want and THEN (if you’re “lucky” enough to even be offered it) spending an additional £7.5k on a watch you do want, OR spending maybe £15k at a grey and getting just the watch you actually DO want?

Now I’m no Einstein, but £37.5k (and a watch you don’t want) sounds like a significantly worse deal than spending £15k on one you do want.

Yes, you can obviously sell the PM one, but the hassle and the aggravation in terms of selling - e.g. the time it may take to sell it, the price you may need to let it go for, sellers fees, insurance, postage, finding a trustworthy buyer, etc, etc, etc, all mounts up. Buying something you don't want (especially a watch in the tens of thousands realm) is a fools idea IMO.
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 08:30 PM   #16
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Yes get a meteorite gmt…..sell for 20k profit and get 2 SS Pepsi’s at retail for free……man that was easy!!!!!!!!
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 09:14 PM   #17
Pandos
"TRF" Member

If you have to ask, then the answer is no.
Pandos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 09:15 PM   #18
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

The PM watch worth buying is one that you want no will enjoy wearing, especially at MSRP.
You used to get them at discounts to MSRP but those days appear to be over.

I have a few and really like them for more dressy occasions and certain destinations. They can have a solid place in a collection but only if you want them and wear them.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 09:23 PM   #19
Tikandtokalot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BB41 M79540
Nuts man don’t play that game.
Tikandtokalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 09:31 PM   #20
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Depending on where you live the spend at an AD could be a lot or not so much. In larger markets it could take hundreds of thousands of dollars in spend history to move far enough up to qualify for a allocation SS watch. In other markets not so much. Why not just find the watch you want at the best Trusted Seller price and get it. If you have been sitting around since 2018 waiting, you have seen the prices of the watches go up significantly. If you had of bought Grey then imagine where you would be now in value. Same principle in play now. But for many it is about the money. Sure you want it from an AD for msrp so you are in a great equity situation should you want to sell. But you are not going to get it from an AD or at least not all of the models you want. What to do? Skip PM watches and go get the SS you want in the Grey market. Wear it and enjoy or realize it is about the money and not the watch and move on.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 09:32 PM   #21
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Any PM watches worth purchasing just to get SS models more quickly?
For me, No.

I do not buy what I do not want
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 09:36 PM   #22
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Answer to your question is nope
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 09:42 PM   #23
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

Well said Max
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 09:53 PM   #24
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

Why anyone would think of buying a very very expensive PM watch to buy a SS one, must have more money than sense IMHO. All this so called AD relationship stuff mainly exists in internet land. I sometimes wonder how Rolex manages to sell around 850000 plus watches a year. Perhaps all these buyers are heavy spenders and Rolex no longer sells any watches to the Joe public anymore.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 10:13 PM   #25
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:

+1

And depending on AD and location you may need to spend more than one PM, perhaps 2 or 3 or more.

Economically and logically it makes zero sense at any level. But hey it’s your money

Simple answer to your question: yes the more PM you buy the greater the chance of you getting an SS model like BLRO or Daytona. How many PMs is anyone’s guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 10:17 PM   #26
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Too late
Fleetlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 10:21 PM   #27
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Only if it's a PM model I intended to keep.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 10:36 PM   #28
vh2k
"TRF" Member

There is no easier way to get the pieces you want at MSRP than quickly becoming a preferred customer. You do that by confidently demonstrating that you will help the SA earn fat commissions and the AD move merchandise.

Of course, buying expensive pieces to get steel sports used to work much better when you could get PM for 10-15% off MSRP AND you reside in a location with little or no sales tax. And you have to do this in a Rolex-only store -- otherwise, you would be pressured to buy non-Rolex brands or jewelry. But the principle still applies today. ​

I walk in and buy a DD40 for $57K. In a few weeks, I walk back in and buy a $18K Cellini from the same SA. Boom! I'm instantly the SA's new best friend. I get the next Pepsi or Cermit in a few weeks.

But, you can't expect to buy expensive hot watches to get steel sports. PM Subs, GMT, and Daytonas are now very much in demand. You need to purchase "lower demand" pieces -- Cellini, PM with diamond bezels, TT DJ, etc.

I sell the DD40 and/or Cellini for a small loss (let's just assume I lose $10K). I have the watches I want at MSRP AND I have a great new relationship with the AD.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 11:04 PM   #29
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG BLRO, Sub C, WG
Day dates, cellinis and women’s TTs should get you on the right path.

PM subs, Daytona’s and GMTs are basically allocation pieces these days.

You seem like fodder for a cunning AD, maybe try the grey route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Giangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 11:04 PM   #30
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
Big Ballers rock! I say go for it!

DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote