The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 31 January 2020, 07:28 AM   #1
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
JLC Deep Sea Alarm Tribute vs. Rolex Sea-Dweller discussions?

Hello, a while back, there were discussions comparing the Rolex Sea-Dweller with the Jaeger-LeCoultre Deep Sea Alarm Tribute. A handful of users here have owned both and were kind enough to provide their take on the two.

I posted this question on the "other watches" subforum, but by virtue of less traffic (and this JLC being somewhat rare), I don't think any owners of that particular JLC saw it.

So I thought I'd ask the question here: if you've owned the JLC Tribute to Deep Sea Alarm, what has your experience been like swimming with the watch? I know it's not pressure rated like the Rolex Sea-Dweller (or even Submariner) but have you taken it into open salt water nevertheless?

This wouldn't be an issue if it wasn't for the blurb in its booklet that says "we recommend that you don't take it swimming," which contrasts the company's 100m pressure rating (what gives?).
Old 31 January 2020, 08:29 AM   #2
Roli4life
"TRF" Member

I have owned, and love both. The JLC for it’s Aesthetics more than functional ability in water. I have swam w/ them w/o issues, but was always worrying about its integrity, and scratching the glass/case. I eventually sold the DST, and was able to pick up a NSA Incursion. Now I have the alarm, and worry free durability, also some of the same design cues of the old Polaris dial.

Roli4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 08:59 AM   #3
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roli4life View Post
I have swam w/ them w/o issues, but was always worrying about its integrity, and scratching the glass/case.
Thanks for sharing- is the JLC's DST known to have a scratch-prone crystal? Did you go really deep with the DST? I

I really dig the design, but I'm wondering just what I can do with it in the water.
Old 31 January 2020, 10:31 AM   #4
psv
"TRF" Member

I answered in your other thread.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 02:36 PM   #5
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
I answered in your other thread.
Thanks- I responded (and somewhere in there is a follow-up question).
Old 31 January 2020, 03:53 PM   #6
Roli4life
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daOnlyBG View Post
Thanks for sharing- is the JLC's DST known to have a scratch-prone crystal? Did you go really deep with the DST? I

I really dig the design, but I'm wondering just what I can do with it in the water.

The glass is acrylic, or plexiglass, so it will scratch easily compared to sapphire. I did not do any serious deep diving with it. More like vacation snorkeling kind of stuff. Usually if I’m doing anything like scuba with an automatic watch, I use something like my Pelagos. It’s a bit more worry free due to its HEV valve, price, and depth rating. I know it says deep-sea, but I prefer to have screw down crowns, for my own piece of mind.
Roli4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 04:00 PM   #7
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roli4life View Post
The glass is acrylic, or plexiglass, so it will scratch easily compared to sapphire. I did not do any serious deep diving with it. More like vacation snorkeling kind of stuff. Usually if I’m doing anything like scuba with an automatic watch, I use something like my Pelagos. It’s a bit more worry free due to its HEV valve, price, and depth rating. I know it says deep-sea, but I prefer to have screw down crowns, for my own piece of mind.
Are you a commercial diver or in a diving bell? - I've never given marks to a helium release valve for my 30M diving. But yes, I wouldn't be doing even recreational diving with any of my plexi dive watches, not worth it as they're old anyway!
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 04:08 PM   #8
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Page View Post
..But yes, I wouldn't be doing even recreational diving with any of my plexi dive watches...
I have to wonder- would it be feasible to throw on a sapphire crystal, or is that asking for trouble?
Old 31 January 2020, 04:24 PM   #9
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daOnlyBG View Post
I have to wonder- would it be feasible to throw on a sapphire crystal, or is that asking for trouble?
I wouldn't mess with it, I dive with 5 and 6 digit subs I have but all are sapphire Chrystal

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2020, 05:56 PM   #10
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Hey, thank you all for answering my questions. I'm guessing it's a watch you go swimming with and not much else. If I were to go snorkeling with it, I'm guessing 10-20 feet would be the absolute deepest I'd attempt.

We'll save the serious diving for... dive watches, I guess lol

Tags
jaeger deepsea , jaeger-lecoultre , sea dweller , submainer