The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 August 2019, 04:00 AM   #1
Eelco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400 & 114200
Would you make this trade for a Daytona?

So, I have two watches at the moment, a white dial Milgauss 166400 from 2008 and a Olive dial OP 34mm 2019. Eventhough I love both of my watches, I got an offer to sell my watches for close to what I payed for them, plus some extra money for a decent priced 2008 Daytona 116523. So I won't really lose too much money on this trade. I think a TT Daytona is such a beautiful watch but I could use some input from my fellow watch enthusiasts on whether I should pull the trigger.

I like the idea of an all-in-one watch so the idea is that i'll become a One Watch Guy. At the moment I swap my watches everyday and i do enjoy wearing both my watches, so hopefully i can stick by previous comment in the future.

But I am bit worried about the gold effect. I'd say my Milgauss is the flashiest out my watches, but would the Daytona be a lot more in your face? Occasionally i'll get the Is-that-a-Rolex-question and that's okay, but I don't really need more people noticing me wearing an (even more) expensive watch.

And I feel like the Daytona could be a more sought after watch (now and maybe more so in the future), i like the idea of something relatively exclusive (I know, I know, Rolex watches are mass produced products.)

Anyways, would you make this deal or just leave it as is? And are there other factors me to take in consideration?

Tips in the sorts of 'don't ask a bunch of strangers online' or 'do what you like best' are not really needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex-Daytona-116523---123429.jpg (90.6 KB, 695 views)

Last edited by Eelco; 4 August 2019 at 05:09 AM.. Reason: Picture of the specific watch
Eelco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 04:04 AM   #2
JP.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 16610
I bought the 16613 twice... I love the watch but I just don't want to wear gold.

If you're worried about gold, don't buy gold. It felt a bit ostentatious.

Nothing to take away from the watch and the people who like gold. It's just not for me.
Old 4 August 2019, 04:05 AM   #3
Cesium137
Banned

I would absolutely make that deal. Yes this is more in your face that the other 2, buts it’s still TT. Not crazy in your faceness.
Cesium137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 04:06 AM   #4
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
I have the 116523 and it isn’t that flashy
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 04:09 AM   #5
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Superocean 44not42
I'm not a big Daytona fan, but I'd do this trade. Whenever you're worried about attracting too much attention to your watch somewhere, bring a Casio along.
SpeakWithMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 04:10 AM   #6
dxbtousa
"TRF" Member

Big yes from me.
dxbtousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 04:13 AM   #7
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
The 116523 white dial is a great watch. It has a bit of bling on it, so if you are concerned, think twice! Having said that, the one you show above is a bit polished (see bezel and crown guards). I would wait for a better example but if that doesn't bother you, go for it. But I would still negotiate to just avoid paying cash on top of your 2 watches.
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 04:13 AM   #8
GJ-PGMTII
"TRF" Member

Would you make this trade for a Daytona?

The gold in the bracelet, the pushers - which physically stick out more and are polished (not to mention gold as well), the iconic three rings will EACH alone draw more attention than the miligaus.

Depends how safe you feel being seen around traveling or on a train... Rolex makes you a mark, gold does too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GJ-PGMTII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 04:17 AM   #9
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
I'm not much of two-tone fan but yes. I would do this trade w/o the slightest regret as long as extra money thrown in isn’t much. Be sure this watch will need to be serviced immediately so factor in the $900 that will cost.

Now about your “one” watch comment . This is def not the watch for that. Even with a plan brown leather strap, it will still be dressy.

These are my 2 cents.
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 04:40 AM   #10
Tom5518
Banned

Watch: Air King
Just my humble experience, but I feel that I can contribute to your query:

I got my first "2-tone" this past January when my AD surprised me with a 126711 "Rootbeer". I went in to ask about getting a 116710 knowing they didn't have one but wanted to know how long the "list" was. They told me I could have the next one that came in. Then he said he had an idea and came out with a box and popped it open and there was the 126711. I was a little shocked but it took me about half a second to say I'll take it. I was very self-conscious the first time I wore it, but quickly learned that nobody paid attention to it. I now wear it and enjoy the heck out of it.

The Daytona is a great watch. If you want it, go for it! After a couple of days you will think nothing of wearing it.

Tom5518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 04:45 AM   #11
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Would certainly do that trade
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 05:06 AM   #12
Eelco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faimag View Post
The 116523 white dial is a great watch. It has a bit of bling on it, so if you are concerned, think twice! Having said that, the one you show above is a bit polished (see bezel and crown guards). I would wait for a better example but if that doesn't bother you, go for it. But I would still negotiate to just avoid paying cash on top of your 2 watches.
I'm sorry, I was too lazy to include the specific watch earlier, it was just a random Internet pic. Included is a picture of the watch I'm looking at. Seller says it's unpolished. What do you think?

Also, I'm pretty sure it's an F-serie 116523, cause the RolexRolex rehaut isn't there. Not sure if that makes a big difference maybe in the sought after department but I'm sure there are Daytona connaiseurs who can shed some light on this..

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A600FN met Tapatalk
Old 4 August 2019, 05:10 AM   #13
Eelco
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the replies so far guys, it's really helpful for me to make my mind up!

Old 4 August 2019, 05:30 AM   #14
SearChart
TechXpert

I wouldn't.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 05:40 AM   #15
drtii
Banned

Watch: 216570 | 126660
I wouldn't do it for that watch, but I get the trade if you like that model of Daytona. It's super flashy in person so keep that in mind.
drtii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 05:48 AM   #16
Brew
"TRF" Member

Not a trade I'd make. Can't stand the screw down pushers and I'd get more use out of your current two pieces.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 06:07 AM   #17
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Sure, I would trade for that TT Daytona
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 06:59 AM   #18
bobby81
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eelco View Post
So, I have two watches at the moment, a white dial Milgauss 166400 from 2008 and a Olive dial OP 34mm 2019. Eventhough I love both of my watches, I got an offer to sell my watches for close to what I payed for them, plus some extra money for a decent priced 2008 Daytona 116523. So I won't really lose too much money on this trade. I think a TT Daytona is such a beautiful watch but I could use some input from my fellow watch enthusiasts on whether I should pull the trigger.

I like the idea of an all-in-one watch so the idea is that i'll become a One Watch Guy. At the moment I swap my watches everyday and i do enjoy wearing both my watches, so hopefully i can stick by previous comment in the future.

But I am bit worried about the gold effect. I'd say my Milgauss is the flashiest out my watches, but would the Daytona be a lot more in your face? Occasionally i'll get the Is-that-a-Rolex-question and that's okay, but I don't really need more people noticing me wearing an (even more) expensive watch.

And I feel like the Daytona could be a more sought after watch (now and maybe more so in the future), i like the idea of something relatively exclusive (I know, I know, Rolex watches are mass produced products.)

Anyways, would you make this deal or just leave it as is? And are there other factors me to take in consideration?

Tips in the sorts of 'don't ask a bunch of strangers online' or 'do what you like best' are not really needed.

Yes I think the T/T Daytona’s are lovely Watches having owned two, the one in your photo & the Daytona 116503 (New Model) with the White MOP 8 Diamonds Dial, which is my present Watch. The T/T Daytona is dressy a dressy but I think it is a practical Watch as well. I have my present Daytona just a little over a year & it has been recognized only a couple of times. Maybe others have noticed it as being a Rolex & just haven’t mentioned it to me. Here are a couple of photos of my Watch. I am still in the honeymoon period with it but it really is a nice Watch. Photos do not do it justice, it is far nicer in the flesh so to speak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bobby81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 07:08 AM   #19
justjay82
"TRF" Member

From a value proposition, I think it’s a fair trade. But personally don’t like the idea of going to just one watch. I like variety.
justjay82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 07:25 AM   #20
PeterC4
"TRF" Member

There are places where you can test the relative value of what you are giving up in exchange for the Daytona. I personally like the TT Daytona. I think it wears well and I believe PM has more inherent value, but you wouldn't know it from the resale market. Anyway Rolex is a traded commodity. That is the brand that management has created. Just add up the consideration you are paying and equate it to what you are receiving. If its close, do it.
PeterC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 07:35 AM   #21
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtii View Post
I wouldn't do it for that watch, but I get the trade if you like that model of Daytona. It's super flashy in person so keep that in mind.
Never had anybody show any signs of noticing this watch on me and have had since 2006. It is not as noticeable as the Bluesy.
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 08:51 AM   #22
Vansin
Banned

Yup.
Vansin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2019, 09:24 AM   #23
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I like what you have better than a TT Daytona and own a Milgauss as well. So for me it's a "NO"

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2019, 05:16 AM   #24
Eelco
"TRF" Member

Maybe you guys have seen my other post about a scratch on a bracelet, so I don't think we'll have a deal after all.

Most likely I wouldn't have made deal anyways, the Daytona is great but the two tone is a bit of an 80's vibe for me. So, the reasons for buying would've been more what the market appreciates and value aspects.

Next watches will be a Cellini Prince 5443/9 and a 34 or 39 mm red grape OP! But that will be a future thread some day. For now I'll stick to these two bad boys. Picture is from before yesterday :(

Old 9 August 2019, 05:18 AM   #25
marc12
Banned

Watch: Blue Steel SD
The only two tone daytonas I would consider are these

marc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2019, 06:01 AM   #26
pkincy
"TRF" Member

I love the TT Daytona with white dial. It will be my next addition. So if you don't buy this please pm me its location and I will.

I just traded my 3 month old Explorer for a TT Bluesy and it hasn't been off my wrist since I bought it and I have a normal 5 watch rotation, that is turning into a 1 watch GADA.

And do understand that historically SS<TT<WG<YG. So the love of SS is a fairly recent phenomena in glacial times. And I would expect a reversion to the norm over the next whatever time.
pkincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2019, 06:04 AM   #27
jaychief
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea
Not a massive fan of bi metal but its a Daytona and looks the part...
jaychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2019, 07:09 AM   #28
Luther89
Banned

Do it
Luther89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2019, 07:17 AM   #29
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Whatever makes you happy OP

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2019, 07:26 AM   #30
eric1
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub,gmt2, daytona
I have that exact Daytona and I love it.
eric1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
116523 , daytona