The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 March 2020, 02:44 PM   #1
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Explorer II vs Sea-Dweller 43

Gents,

I'm thinking about adding the new Sea-Dweller 43 to my collection. I've been wearing an Explorer II (216570) for years, so I'm used to a larger watch. But can anyone comment how the two compare on the wrist? Does anyone have accurate dimensions, weight, thickness numbers they can share? Comparison pictures - if anyone has both - would be super helpful. The more details the better.

Thanks in advance!

Mike
chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 03:19 PM   #2
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Exp II is super comfy and light on the wrist. SD43 feels like a brick in comparison as it sits higher with the thicker case. Both awesome but I personally didn't click with the SD43.
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 03:54 PM   #3
drthornton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SD43
I have both and rarely wear my Polar Explorer II. I've had my SD 43 for about 1.5 years now and I still admire it on my wrist. Its not too heavy for every day and the adjustable clasp is awesome for changes in wrist size due to activity or weather. There is a difference on wrist so if you are sensitive to the extra weight it may bug you. I am opposite and think the Explorer feels too light.

They are both beautiful watches but I choose the SD43 easily over the Explorer II

Combo 1 resized.jpg
drthornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 08:14 PM   #4
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Few watch models can combine rough tough industrial design with charm and classiness the way the SD43 does. I'm not surprised to hear over and over that it the watch getting most of writs time.
As per the clasp, I'm finding it a huge feature as I'm adjusting it twice daily. When I wakeup my wrist is thicker by one full notch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drthornton View Post
I have both and rarely wear my Polar Explorer II. I've had my SD 43 for about 1.5 years now and I still admire it on my wrist. Its not too heavy for every day and the adjustable clasp is awesome for changes in wrist size due to activity or weather. There is a difference on wrist so if you are sensitive to the extra weight it may bug you. I am opposite and think the Explorer feels too light.

They are both beautiful watches but I choose the SD43 easily over the Explorer II

Attachment 1122658
Old 27 March 2020, 09:16 PM   #5
Frits1980
"TRF" Member

Have both. Sd43 is thicker ofcource but the dial is small so it opticaly wears smaller imo. Exp2, thin bezel and big dial makes it wear larger. Not a fan of both do. Sd43 is to heavy and the exp2 is to big.
Frits1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 09:19 PM   #6
tanask211
"TRF" Member

SD43 shall be my next purchase.. Waiting for better price.

Sent from my HMA-L29 using Tapatalk
tanask211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 09:25 PM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
The main difference you will notice is in the weight.

Since I don’t own the EXP2 I don’t have the size/weight specs of that reference but here is the SD43 compared to the DSSD.

SD43: 185gms
DSSD: 212gms

The SD 43 is actually larger than the 126660 DSSD when measured end link to end link.

SD43: lug to lug 50.4 mm, End link to end link 53.7 mm, height 15.2 mm
JC gen 1: LL 52, EL to EL 55.6, Height 17.7
JC gen2: LL 51.8, EL to EL 53.3, Height 17.7

In practical terms the EXP2 wears much lighter and flatter to the wrist. For me it would be the more comfortable daily wearer YMMV.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 09:26 PM   #8
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Agree the SD43 wears small due to the small and black dial, it is thicker but not out of proportion, a 43mm that was thin would feel wrong and like a satellite dish, had that on some IWCs in the past, not good.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 09:53 PM   #9
chloebear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drthornton View Post

Attachment 1122658
Thanks for the side-by-side pic Danny! I sort of felt like 42mm was the top end of my size range, but they look about the same in your pic because - as others have mentioned - more face to bezel on the Explorer II versus more bezel to face on the SD.

I certainly don't mind a bigger heavier watch, so I'm not worried about the extra weight at all. I picked up the SD4K a few years ago and just never really bonded with it. It felt a tad too small and it bothered me not having the cyclops. The SD43 seems to fix both of those issues and the touch of red is cool too. I love the fully graduated bezel as well.

Thanks for the feedback....The SD43 is in serious contention.
Old 27 March 2020, 09:58 PM   #10
chloebear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
The main difference you will notice is in the weight.

Since I don’t own the EXP2 I don’t have the size/weight specs of that reference but here is the SD43 compared to the DSSD.

SD43: 185gms
DSSD: 212gms

The SD 43 is actually larger than the 126660 DSSD when measured end link to end link.

SD43: lug to lug 50.4 mm, End link to end link 53.7 mm, height 15.2 mm
JC gen 1: LL 52, EL to EL 55.6, Height 17.7
JC gen2: LL 51.8, EL to EL 53.3, Height 17.7

In practical terms the EXP2 wears much lighter and flatter to the wrist. For me it would be the more comfortable daily wearer YMMV.

Thanks for the great info Brian. I had no idea the JC changed that much from gen 1 to 2! That's a watch I've flirted with for years and have always admired.

You are correct that the Explorer II is extremely comfortable. It was the most comfortable watch I'd ever owned until I picked up the BLRO. That's clearly the comfort champion (as you know) because of the jubilee, great lugs and just a relatively light and balanced watch.
Old 27 March 2020, 10:14 PM   #11
pianomankd
"TRF" Member

Exii!
pianomankd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 10:19 PM   #12
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloebear View Post
Thanks for the great info Brian. I had no idea the JC changed that much from gen 1 to 2! That's a watch I've flirted with for years and have always admired.

You are correct that the Explorer II is extremely comfortable. It was the most comfortable watch I'd ever owned until I picked up the BLRO. That's clearly the comfort champion (as you know) because of the jubilee, great lugs and just a relatively light and balanced watch.
Mike, the SD43 would be a great addition to your collection IMO, especially since you have the BLRO. Green light go
Old 27 March 2020, 10:31 PM   #13
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
I picked up the SD4K a few years ago and just never really bonded with it. It felt a tad too small and it bothered me not having the cyclops. The SD43 seems to fix both of those issues and the touch of red is cool too. I love the fully graduated bezel as well.
There's your answer, get that SD43!
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 10:33 PM   #14
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I own the Polar Explorer II and the black dial Explorer II as well as a SD43. The two models are very different, in a good way. The Explorer II is thin and sits very flat on my wrist which is 7.5-7.75, depending on the weather. The SD43 is everything in a Rolex diver I could want, size, glide lock, red text, bezel and even the cyclops. It is a hard either/or for the watches and both get a lot of wrist time. My experience with larger watches is that the bracelet sizing has everything to do with wear and comfort. Once you get then SD43 set up right you will not have an issue with the size or weight. As an addition to an already nice collection I would say go for it.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 12:54 AM   #15
franktehtank
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipereaper30 View Post
Exp II is super comfy and light on the wrist. SD43 feels like a brick in comparison as it sits higher with the thicker case. Both awesome but I personally didn't click with the SD43.
I think we found Prince Harry's secret rolexforums account.

franktehtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 01:26 AM   #16
brmott
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SubC
I sold my Explorer II 42 and recently purchased the SD43. I actually love them both, but I prefer the SD. I have a 8” wrist and large hands, and the SD43’s wider bracelet just feels more substantial to me. Yes, the SD43 is thicker than an Exp or a Sub, but nowhere near as thick as the DSSD or newer Planet Oceans I’ve owned. The SD43 is superb all the the way around!
brmott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 01:35 AM   #17
Nanasaka90
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600, 126600, 126
I had both at one point, the Explorer II was more comfortable, but I was perpetually conflicted about the proportions. The dial always seemed just a bit too large, in fact I felt the whole watch was made large for no proper reason.

The SD43 on the other hand, is heavier and less comfortable but very satisfying as far as the proportions go; which is why I ended up keeping it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nanasaka90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2020, 02:22 AM   #18
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I have both, Polar and SD43. I like both, but they wear much different. The SD is thick. It wears big (tall) to me. I am 6'4" with just under 7.5" wrist, but my wrist is more round than flat.

Both great watches. Good luck, happy hunting.

E-
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 10:30 PM   #19
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Can anyone here tell me how much the ExpII weighs?
Old 29 April 2020, 11:07 PM   #20
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
I have a Explorer II 216570. With all links I believe it weighs 158 grams
Batmannr1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 11:16 PM   #21
RTG

Watch: Sky-Dweller
Quote:
Gents,

I'm thinking about adding the new Sea-Dweller 43 to my collection. I've been wearing an Explorer II (216570) for years, so I'm used to a larger watch. But can anyone comment how the two compare on the wrist? Does anyone have accurate dimensions, weight, thickness numbers they can share? Comparison pictures - if anyone has both - would be super helpful. The more details the better.

Thanks in advance!

Mike
The SD43 was on my list too. Perfect watch on paper to compliment my daily 42mm Explorer II. Unfortunately I did not find it perfect on the wrist. The small dial and hands underwhelmed me. The EXPII with its big dial, strong hands and crystal clear legibility is a hard watch to follow up on.
RTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 11:34 PM   #22
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Have both, love both. If forced to get rid of one, it would be a very, very tough call. In an effort to pare the collection down, I've actually done some thinking along these lines, without any success, I might add.

My thoughts: Bottom line, I think it's a good add to your situation, but I wouldn't replace the EXP2 with it. I qualify that statement by saying if you're looking for something great but different, than it's full speed ahead. Good luck, brother.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2020, 12:23 AM   #23
173rdabn

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
Unless you're a hardcore diver, why buy one? Nice watch, but it really isn't designed to impress folks around the local pool.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2020, 02:54 AM   #24
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
Only the Glidelock feature is a plus plus. Go for the SD43!

Enviado desde mi SM-G975F mediante Tapatalk
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2020, 04:56 AM   #25
BogdanS
"TRF" Member

Explorer II vs Sea-Dweller 43

Both on my 7.5 - 7.9 inch or 19-20 cm wrist.

Hard decission, I’d hate being in your spot, I’d rather keep both and decide later, after giving them both equal chances, preferably one full month each at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BogdanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2020, 05:03 AM   #26
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Have both, love both. If forced to get rid of one, it would be a very, very tough call. In an effort to pare the collection down, I've actually done some thinking along these lines, without any success, I might add.

My thoughts: Bottom line, I think it's a good add to your situation, but I wouldn't replace the EXP2 with it. I qualify that statement by saying if you're looking for something great but different, than it's full speed ahead. Good luck, brother.
Interesting to hear this my friend I may be looking to add then
Old 30 April 2020, 05:35 AM   #27
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
I had an SD43. Nice watch but I found the dial looked way too small compared to the case and I found the glidelock clasp big and bulky. I never adjust the fit after a watch is in use anyway.

Sold it.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2020, 06:05 AM   #28
-dustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG View Post
The SD43 was on my list too. Perfect watch on paper to compliment my daily 42mm Explorer II. Unfortunately I did not find it perfect on the wrist. The small dial and hands underwhelmed me. The EXPII with its big dial, strong hands and crystal clear legibility is a hard watch to follow up on.
I'm surprised the dial+hands legibility deal isn't mentioned more often. It's one of...if not the only...reason I swapped my 16570 for a 216570.
-dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2020, 03:54 PM   #29
PNBLWZD
"TRF" Member

When I got my EXPII Polar, it was my gateway watch to the 40+ size Rolex offerings. I loved the fit and it looked so much better than a 40 gmt or sub on my 8” wrist. Then my SA suggested a SD43, and I’ve had it about 6 months. Since getting it, all my others just sit despite me trying to rotate - including the polar. The SD43 is perfection, I highly recommend.
PNBLWZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2020, 04:18 PM   #30
Zoomerang

Watch: 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by -dustin View Post
I'm surprised the dial+hands legibility deal isn't mentioned more often. It's one of...if not the only...reason I swapped my 16570 for a 216570.
Agree with this. The SD43 has great proportions but I'm disappointed with the dial size, which appears to be about the same size as the sub.

Prefer the Exp II proportions.
Zoomerang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
explorer ii , sea dweller