The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 9 June 2020, 07:43 PM   #1
columb23
"TRF" Member

rolex 6694 correct dial

Hello,

I have a question that you might be able to answer.
So, sold my watch, a rolex 6694 champagne dial with gold markers and hands, circa 1968 made.

Thy buyer went to his local Rolex AD, and they told him that the watch is unoriginal.
They say Rolex didn't put a champagne dial on the 6694. And also that Rolex doesn't use gold hands on a steel watch.
They base this on the MyRolexWorldService.

Are they correct? Can I contradict this?

Thank you very much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200517_195616.jpg (233.0 KB, 199 views)
columb23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 10:01 PM   #2
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

Maybe not the worlds best reference but here you go:

https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-bl...on-6694-2.html
L.K Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 10:16 PM   #3
columb23
"TRF" Member

Thank you!
From that article, it seems that the dial is correct, it was used by Rolex on 6694s.
I sent the link to them, but the AD will need stronger proof than an article, I believe.
Old 9 June 2020, 10:35 PM   #4
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Maybe see if you can locate some old Rolex catalogues, in person or online. Sometimes you see some good photos of the pages, and occasionally a pdf file. They may mention dial and hand options for the 6694.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 10:37 PM   #5
shiftf7
"TRF" Member

If you look in chrono 24 there are more than 20 watches like yours with the gold/champagne dial steel case configuration, also a lot of datejusts, Airkings, etc. So that makes it very unlikely that Rolex never produced steel case watches with a gold dial/hands. I'm very curious on what base the AD makes such a statement.
shiftf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 10:46 PM   #6
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

You can also turn it around and have them show you proof that the watch never came with SS case and gold hands and markers...
Old 9 June 2020, 10:46 PM   #7
shiftf7
"TRF" Member

could your dial be refinished? and is that why the AD states it's not original?
Old 9 June 2020, 10:55 PM   #8
shiftf7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K Johnson View Post
You can also turn it around and have them show you proof that the watch never came with SS case and gold hands and markers...
Yes or have them google "rolex 6694 champagne dial" in google pictures and be amazed with the hundreds of pictures that come up of this watch.....
Old 9 June 2020, 10:57 PM   #9
columb23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftf7 View Post
could your dial be refinished? and is that why the AD states it's not original?
They don't say it is refinished, they say Rolex didn't make such a dial on the 6694...
By the number of sales of this type of watch, that claim is absurd.
Old 9 June 2020, 11:21 PM   #10
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

The dial and hands do look to be original but not for this particular watch. They are correct to say that gold indices and hands would either only come one a two tone, gold capped or solid gold watch. 6694s and parts are so abundant that most likely the dial and hands were swapped out at some point during its life to meet someones personal taste, a very common practice on the 6694. Dial and hands fit multiple models so swapping options are abundant.

It isnt the end of the world, you can pick up a dial and hands super cheap on eBay.

And yes, you can find pics of the exact same setup on Google but it doesnt mean its an original setup.
Old 9 June 2020, 11:46 PM   #11
columb23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
The dial and hands do look to be original but not for this particular watch. They are correct to say that gold indices and hands would either only come one a two tone, gold capped or solid gold watch. 6694s and parts are so abundant that most likely the dial and hands were swapped out at some point during its life to meet someones personal taste, a very common practice on the 6694. Dial and hands fit multiple models so swapping options are abundant.

It isnt the end of the world, you can pick up a dial and hands super cheap on eBay.

And yes, you can find pics of the exact same setup on Google but it doesnt mean its an original setup.
I heve rarely seen a gold, or two tone 6694, but plenty of champagne dial steel ones.
What is your source of info? I don't say you are incorrect, I just want to get to the bottom of this.
Old 10 June 2020, 12:05 AM   #12
columb23
"TRF" Member

Just an update.
The same Rolex AD that first said that the dial and hands was not used in this type of watch, after an email that I sent with links to articles and links from many legit sites that sale this watch, changed their view.

They say now that they have sent this question to Rolex, and awaiting their answer.

And that they will tell me when they will have the correct info on this matter.
Old 10 June 2020, 12:24 AM   #13
offrdmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by columb23 View Post
I heve rarely seen a gold, or two tone 6694, but plenty of champagne dial steel ones.
What is your source of info? I don't say you are incorrect, I just want to get to the bottom of this.

The 6694 was not offered in two tone or solid gold but it was offered in gold capped which is a thin layer of gold which is vacuum adhered to a stainless case. The bezel was gold plated and if it came with a bracelet, it too was gold plated. Since the 6694 was an entry level time piece, this was Rolex’ solution to offering a gold watch at a lower price point. Here are a few examples and where your dial and hands came from.

Old 10 June 2020, 12:34 AM   #14
columb23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
The 6694 was not offered in two tone or solid gold but it was offered in gold capped which is a thin layer of gold which is vacuum adhered to a stainless case. The bezel was gold plated and if it came with a bracelet, it too was gold plated. Since the 6694 was an entry level time piece, this was Rolex’ solution to offering a gold watch at a lower price point. Here are a few examples and where your dial and hands came from.

Something doesn't add up. I can't find one gold plated 6694 that has this dial, not one picture. All over the internet.
And there are hundreds of pictures with the champagne stainless steel case...
Old 10 June 2020, 12:42 AM   #15
mineral
"TRF" Member

The 6694 definitely has champagne dial and gold hands. The black gilt dial also has gold hands set too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10 June 2020, 12:53 AM   #16
columb23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineral View Post
The 6694 definitely has champagne dial and gold hands. The black gilt dial also has gold hands set too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was about to say that about the black gilt. Highly popular watch.
I also had a 6694 with an ivory dial with gold hands and markers. Also bought from reputable dealer.
Old 10 June 2020, 01:07 AM   #17
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

Here is my wife’s 6694 that has the “supposed non-original Rolex” setup:

Old 10 June 2020, 01:14 AM   #18
shiftf7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just an update.
The same Rolex AD that first said that the dial and hands was not used in this type of watch, after an email that I sent with links to articles and links from many legit sites that sale this watch, changed their view.

They say now that they have sent this question to Rolex, and awaiting their answer.

And that they will tell me when they will have the correct info on this matter.
Ah very good news... let’s see what Rolex has to say about this...
Old 10 June 2020, 01:37 AM   #19
columb23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftf7 View Post
Ah very good news... let’s see what Rolex has to say about this...
They say they sent the pictures with all serial numbers to Rolex, and that it takes 6-8 weeks to have an answer.
That sucks, because now my money is stuck in escrow on chrono24. I wrote to them, awaiting an answer.

The buyer is not right, he can't prove to chrono24 that the watch is fake, wrong etc. He had all the pictures when he bought it, all the details. The watch he received was the watch in the pictures. He admitted when he received the watch that he doesn't like it because it is to small. I must see what I can do.

Now, even an official Rolex AD can't say that the watch is fake or wrong. I think this is enough proof.

Uff
Old 10 June 2020, 02:44 AM   #20
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Can you just give the guy a refund and take back the watch. He obviously doesn't want it, so why force him to keep it.
Old 10 June 2020, 02:46 AM   #21
offrdmania

If Rolex offered a gold indices dial and gold hands in an all stainless case with stainless crown then it would be inconsistent with all of their other stainless models. If they did then it is news to me. 6694s are one the most modified models I have ever seen because there were so many of them and replacement parts are plenty. They also have the most aftermarket dial and hands on the market, Probably pretty close to that of the submariner.

I don’t think the watch isn’t authentic, it looks very real to me. It just looks modified with parts from another watch which was a very common practice with the 6694.
Old 10 June 2020, 05:17 AM   #22
columb23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Can you just give the guy a refund and take back the watch. He obviously doesn't want it, so why force him to keep it.
Because he knew very well what he was buying. Because I had another offer and lost it because of him. Because I don't want to risk damages due to transport. But mostly, because he was rude and not respectful of this passion for watches that we all have. He started saying that the watch is fake, and the transaction is a "scam".
Old 10 June 2020, 06:11 AM   #23
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Because he knew very well what he was buying. Because I had another offer and lost it because of him. Because I don't want to risk damages due to transport. But mostly, because he was rude and not respectful of this passion for watches that we all have. He started saying that the watch is fake, and the transaction is a "scam".
I understand, that's really not nice behavior. Still, some battles just aren't worth fighting.
Old 14 July 2020, 03:43 AM   #24
columb23
"TRF" Member

Just a quick update to this horror story:

After talking to chrono24 customer support, I decided to take the watch back.
Just FYI, chrono24 doesn't intervene to resolve the dispute, they only mediate. So, if an agreement is not met, the money stays forever in escrow until a settlement between the seller and buyer. So, as a seller, I was in a disadvantage because I was left without both the watch and the money. Even though I had the correct side of this dispute, I could do nothing.
So, in essence, on chrono24, if you are a private seller, you better be ready to accept returns, avoid the hassle.

Anyway, got my watch back and not even a week later I sold it to another buyer, at the same price. This time around, the buyer is very happy with the watch and I'm happy this beautiful watch got a new home.

Thank you all for the advice! Much appreciated at the time.
Old 14 July 2020, 05:22 AM   #25
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
I agree. This buyer could be more trouble for you down the road.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 05:24 AM   #26
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
. Glad you took your watch back and found a happy buyer.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote