The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 18 June 2018, 01:06 PM   #1
gambit023
"TRF" Member

Need Rolex Submariner Serviced - Maryland

Hey folks. I need my late model Submariner Date serviced.

Edward Arthur Jewelers (an AD) here in Columbia, MD quoted me $950. Is that how much services are these days? Everything works fine on the watch.

Where do you guys recommend me taking (or shipping) it?
gambit023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 04:56 AM   #2
SearChart
TechXpert

Standard starting price for professional models is €700 ($800) I'd demand a clarification, that price is pretty steep if it's just the service without extras.
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 05:54 AM   #3
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060, 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Standard starting price for professional models is €700 ($800) I'd demand a clarification, that price is pretty steep if it's just the service without extras.
What is the averae price for a full-service? Just 700??
By the way,, how many years do you recommend service intervals? Is it indeed 10 years ?
crazymcmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2018, 05:59 AM   #4
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymcmichael View Post
What is the averae price for a full-service? Just 700??
By the way,, how many years do you recommend service intervals? Is it indeed 10 years ?
That is the starting price if you just need a service without extras (crystal, crown, etc).

You'll need a service when it's needed... Can't tell when that is going to be. Most daily worn watches won't reach 10 year intervals.

I'd only bring it in if it's acting up, could be 4 years, could be 12. Let's hope for the latter.

And if you're in the water a lot then a change of gaskets every 5 years and maybe a few extra pressure tests won't hurt, better safe than sorry.
Old 19 June 2018, 06:05 AM   #5
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That is the starting price if you just need a service without extras (crystal, crown, etc).

You'll need a service when it's needed... Can't tell when that is going to be. Most daily worn watches won't reach 10 year intervals.

I'd only bring it in if it's acting up, could be 4 years, could be 12. Let's hope for the latter.

And if you're in the water a lot then a change of gaskets every 5 years and maybe a few extra pressure tests won't hurt, better safe than sorry.
cool to know! Has a daily worn watch significant more wear than a watch that for example is only weared 1 day a week and runs for only 48hrs ? Firstly i thought it was ''better'' to keep it running constantly, but i guess, reading ur story it is more of the opposite if we are talking just about service intervals and wear-tear right ?
Old 19 June 2018, 06:15 AM   #6
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymcmichael View Post
cool to know! Has a daily worn watch significant more wear than a watch that for example is only weared 1 day a week and runs for only 48hrs ? Firstly i thought it was ''better'' to keep it running constantly, but i guess, reading ur story it is more of the opposite if we are talking just about service intervals and wear-tear right ?
Ideally you would have to have it run for a while (one full wind) every 2 weeks orso just to keep the lubricants moving where they should be.

Keeping it running constantly will definitely have more impact than just wear it once a week. Wearing it more means more wear in the movement, simple as that.
Old 19 June 2018, 05:34 PM   #7
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ideally you would have to have it run for a while (one full wind) every 2 weeks orso just to keep the lubricants moving where they should be.

Keeping it running constantly will definitely have more impact than just wear it once a week. Wearing it more means more wear in the movement, simple as that.
thank you for the explanation, i think this is also very usefull to know:) thanx !!!
Old 9 July 2018, 05:05 AM   #8
uzj100
"TRF" Member

Quote:

FWIW, I have a 1987 vintage SS GMT and I've only had it serviced once...and that was after I dropped it into the garbage disposal! Runs like a champ.
uzj100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 02:58 PM   #9
Vicc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Broad Arrow
If you're willing to send it to NY you could have it serviced for half of that.
Vicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2018, 01:22 AM   #10
Kal723
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust II
I'm new to the forums and a little late on the post but in your area. Try "John Alabaster Watch & Clock". They are out of Vienna, VA he is trained by Rolex and service with him should be around $550.
Kal723 is offline   Reply With Quote