The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 7 January 2011, 07:25 PM   #331
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by candelmo View Post
Chris,

I need help with finding the correct box and all other paraphernalia that would have been included with the sale of my watch when it was new. It is a Rolex 18239 Serial "A" which would have been around 1998-1999. I also need a highly recommended Rolex service/repair person that would be local to Orange County, CA. Thanks for any help you can give me. Jim
If I'm honest, I'm not 100% sure about exactly what would have came with a Day-Date of that period - I think it should have been the large leather box with a buckle on it, with a Rolex cardboard outer, and your usual paperwork. At that time, I think the leather guarantee holders still contained the little calendar card. It's a little before my time, but I think that's what there was.

And my thanks to Mambo for rescuing me on the subject of OC watchmakers, it's a little out of my jurisdiction
Old 7 January 2011, 10:01 PM   #332
Sose
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Chris, once again I must say an excellent idea for a thread and a real good read.

Thanks,

Dan
Getting your post count up I see, after all the quadruple posts!
Rolex GMT Master IIc, Explorer II
Old 8 January 2011, 03:50 AM   #333
jonboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMT Master View Post
That's quite alright, ask as many as you need By not having the extension link as well as the Glidelock, it's not quite as versatile as the Deepsea. Saying that, however, there should be enough adjustment in the clasp to deal with most wetsuits - if worst came to the worst, you could always stick a spare link back into the watch if you knew you were diving, that would give you the flexibility to get it over the wetsuit. Hope this helps!
thats kind of stop me in my tracks now. was going to go for a sub-c
i think i may have to go second hand now.
Old 8 January 2011, 06:02 AM   #334
TyCoon53

Watch: Blue Sub TT 116613
Wedding Present

Very nice thread Chris. Thank you for all your answers.

Just wanted to know whether your store will provide the Prince and future Princess with matching Rolexes as a wedding gift. I think two Royalties (Presidents) would be excellent!
Old 8 January 2011, 04:02 PM   #335
bolo
"TRF" Member

Greeting from Bangkok!
Happy new year Chris
This thread is amazingly informative. Thks a lot for ur contribution.

I just bought a Deepsea few days ago. it's a very beautiful watch and really suits my big wrist. A truly engineering triump like u said.

However, Deepsea doesn't sell well in Thailand.
What about its popularity in UK?
How many pieces did u sell last year?
and why I haven't seen its serial newer than " V"?

Warmest Regards,
Bolo
Old 8 January 2011, 07:03 PM   #336
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCoon53 View Post
Very nice thread Chris. Thank you for all your answers.

Just wanted to know whether your store will provide the Prince and future Princess with matching Rolexes as a wedding gift. I think two Royalties (Presidents) would be excellent!
If you ever bump into them, send them my way
Old 8 January 2011, 07:06 PM   #337
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolo View Post
Greeting from Bangkok!
Happy new year Chris
This thread is amazingly informative. Thks a lot for ur contribution.

I just bought a Deepsea few days ago. it's a very beautiful watch and really suits my big wrist. A truly engineering triump like u said.

However, Deepsea doesn't sell well in Thailand.
What about its popularity in UK?
How many pieces did u sell last year?
and why I haven't seen its serial newer than " V"?

Warmest Regards,
Bolo
Hi Bolo,

The popularity is good in the UK, we sold maybe 5 or 6 last year. Very steady seller indeed, it seems to have filled a nice niche in the market. There are other serial numbers out there now on it (I've seen random serials, can't say I've seen G serials as of yet), but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Some people are going on about the Mk II dial, but any changes have been largely insignificant. It's a great watch, and I hope you enjoy wearing it
Old 12 January 2011, 11:22 AM   #338
RolexWatcher
"TRF" Member

Hi Chris,

I am new here and stumbled on this thread while doing some searches. I have yet to buy a Rolex for myself but planning to buy one this year.

My questions are:

1. What month does Rolex usually release their new price list? Is it the same month globally and does it happen yearly?

2. What is normal service internal to get a Rolex serviced? I was reading a thread that most people don't go for the usual 5 year service and some AD even said to get it service when its broken.

3. What is the usual cost for a standard service for a Rolex (e.g. professional models like Sub, Milgauss, GMT)?

Many thanks for giving us the opportunity to ask questions like these.
Old 12 January 2011, 04:28 PM   #339
acadianl79

Watch: Rolex Deep sea
Hi Chris,

Thanks a lot for your time and your contribution.

The Deepsea is considered a " niche " watch by many here on TRF.

Do you think the Deepsea is just " trendy " due to its size and recent introduction or a watch that will pass the test of time for a couple of decades as done by the SS Submariner and the SS Daytona.

Curious about your opinion on how possibly weak markets for this watch in the fast developing economies of Asia ( hear that quite often but don't know if it'S true...) might affect the future worldwide desirability of this watch (future demand for it )

How would you compare and " guesstimate " the number of Deepsea sold Yearly vs. other Rolex sports model like the SS Submariner or SS Daytona ?

Are the sales of the Deepsea still growing year after year and gaining market share against the Submariners and SS daytonas, Staying flat in growth and market share or steadily declining versus other Rolex SS sport models.

Thank you again, Awesome thread.
Old 12 January 2011, 06:56 PM   #340
Mike77
"TRF" Member

Hi Chris, great thread and thanks for all the info.

Do Rolex prices differ in different countries at local AD stores, considering the exchange rates (e.g. UK, US, China,..)? If so can you name some countries/cities where Rolex prices at AD's are lower and some where they are considerably higher?

Also which Rolex/es do you wear? :)
Old 12 January 2011, 09:02 PM   #341
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexWatcher View Post
Hi Chris,

I am new here and stumbled on this thread while doing some searches. I have yet to buy a Rolex for myself but planning to buy one this year.

My questions are:

1. What month does Rolex usually release their new price list? Is it the same month globally and does it happen yearly?

2. What is normal service internal to get a Rolex serviced? I was reading a thread that most people don't go for the usual 5 year service and some AD even said to get it service when its broken.

3. What is the usual cost for a standard service for a Rolex (e.g. professional models like Sub, Milgauss, GMT)?

Many thanks for giving us the opportunity to ask questions like these.
Hello!

Have you decided which watch to get yet?

Here are my answers:

1. There is no pattern to Rolex price increases except for the fact they shift with currency and gold prices. There have been several price increases in the past few years because of the varying strengths of the Pound, Euro and Dollar against the Swiss Franc, and the large increase in Gold prices. I'm hoping they'll stabilise, but there could well be another price rise at some point this year. There's no real way of predicting it, and Rolex usually only gives us a couple of weeks' notice

2. I personally recommend 5-7 years. Yes, they can sometimes go for longer than that, but you don't necessarily know what damage you could be doing to the movement as oils run out. I also think it's good to get the bracelets looked at regularly, particularly the pre-solid link bracelets. The cost of a replacement is so high these days, it's better to get it looked at regularly, and have its life prolonged for as long as possible. I've seen some watches that haven't been properly maintained come back with massive bills (£1500 plus in the very worst cases). When the new service centre at Kings Hill clears its backlog and gets up to full speed, they'll be turning around most men's watches with new calibres (bar the Deepsea and Daytona, which are a little more complicated) in 4 weeks, which is pretty impressive

3. Standard service prices for a Sports Rolex range between £300 and £400, depending on the model

Hope this answers your questions!
Old 12 January 2011, 09:16 PM   #342
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianl79 View Post
Hi Chris,

Thanks a lot for your time and your contribution.

The Deepsea is considered a " niche " watch by many here on TRF.

Do you think the Deepsea is just " trendy " due to its size and recent introduction or a watch that will pass the test of time for a couple of decades as done by the SS Submariner and the SS Daytona.

Curious about your opinion on how possibly weak markets for this watch in the fast developing economies of Asia ( hear that quite often but don't know if it'S true...) might affect the future worldwide desirability of this watch (future demand for it )

How would you compare and " guesstimate " the number of Deepsea sold Yearly vs. other Rolex sports model like the SS Submariner or SS Daytona ?

Are the sales of the Deepsea still growing year after year and gaining market share against the Submariners and SS daytonas, Staying flat in growth and market share or steadily declining versus other Rolex SS sport models.

Thank you again, Awesome thread.
Hello,

I think the thing with the Deepsea, as usual with Rolex, is that the form is crafted from function. It might be big, but it's been designed for a singular purpose, with typical Rolex over-engineering. It's not everyone's cup of tea, and the more cynical amongst us might argue that it is just pandering to the big watch trend. I disagree: Rolex did this because they love to be at the top of the queue, to produce watches that can go anywhere, to prove the impossible possible. It has a bit of drama that most Rolex models lack, yet it still keeps the core design that made Rolex diver's watches the benchmark: a simple, clear legible dial and a bracelet designed with diver's in mind. I see this as a professional tool, and it has been proven by its extensive use by professional divers around the world: oil rig divers have been seen to be wearing them, and they're currently being used on an under the pole expedition. Rolex knows that in order to sell a watch, it has to have a back story, and I think the Deepsea has both the historical lineage dating back to the Deep Sea Specials, and is making its own reputation on its own merits.

As for future trends, there's really no way of predicting it. I don't think it'll ever be a runaway success, but it is a very strong seller in the range in my experience. I think even in the Asian markets, there is a certain degree of admiration for the Deepsea, I wouldn't worry about its future too much. I don't think it's ever going to be a "rare" watch, however: if there was going to be one that could have future collectible potential, I think it would be the white Milgauss.

In terms of sales, I think we've sold 6-8 Deepseas this year, compared to 8-10 Daytonas, Subs and GMTs, they're not far off. We can turn over around 100 watches a year, about 40-ish will be sports models, the rest Datejusts and other "dress" models. In terms of relative sales, the Deepsea has been a bit better this year compared to last year, I've been very impressed. Between August and November, I don't think we got one into the window

Hope this answers your questions

Chris
Old 12 January 2011, 09:23 PM   #343
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike77 View Post

Do Rolex prices differ in different countries at local AD stores, considering the exchange rates (e.g. UK, US, China,..)? If so can you name some countries/cities where Rolex prices at AD's are lower and some where they are considerably higher?

There is always going to be some disparity with regards to currency and local taxes, but I do think the UK can be relatively competitive for overseas customers. As long as you live outside the EU, you can get a VAT rebate (the VAT rate being 20%) as well as any discount you can secure as well. A lot of people cite Dubai as being good to buy in, but I think prices are closer than a lot of people would think. I think Australian customers, with the strength of the $Aus can get some really good deals at the moment, particularly in America. Some EU countries with particularly high levels of sales taxes mean it doesn't make sense for EU customers to go there, but again, if outside the EU, you can get the tax refund.
Old 12 January 2011, 09:33 PM   #344
RolexWatcher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hello!

Have you decided which watch to get yet?
Hope this answers your questions!
Thanks for your answers!

I am trying to narrow down to a used LV or a SD (as I don't think I can afford a new one) but I do like the new Milgauss!

Decisions, decisions
Old 14 January 2011, 01:21 AM   #345
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike77 View Post

Sorry, I forgot to answer your final question, I own and wear an all steel Datejust 116200 on a black Arabic dial and Oyster bracelet. Very happy with it!

Old 14 January 2011, 05:33 AM   #346
lykame
"TRF" Member

Dear Chris,

Thanks so much for such an informative thread, I have read all of it and have thoroughly enjoyed the read. Thank you for giving so much of your time to this.

I was wondering something:

I recently bought a 26 mm Datejust from an authorised dealer in England. The person who served me is a lovely gentleman called Paul, and I feel he has been very good to me as a customer, and it's been nice feeling like that. I don't know whether he HAS gone beyond the call of duty so to speak, but he has seemed to, and not in a bad way. I'm grateful to him.

Indeed, seven days after I bought my Datejust, with its mother-of-pearl and diamond dial, I decided that I didn't like the mother-of-pearl. I phoned him and told him, and he very kindly liaised with Rolex and they agreed to send in more mother-of-pearl and diamond dials for me to assess. He told them my very specific requirements and therefore the very first dial they sent in for me to look at matched! So I have agreed for the dials to be exchanged. This is being done for free. :D

I have read that Rolex will exchange a dial in the first three months if there's a valid reason for it to be exchanged, because as much as Paul is lovely I doubt he would do anything for a loss. Having said that, I guess he also didn't have to go to those lengths to make me happy, especially as mother-of-pearl is so tricky, and when I posted about it here someone suggest I reward him....

I was therefore wondering - how could I do so? What would work? Will he be happy just that I'm happy? And that he's guaranteed that with his kindness, patience and professionalism I'll go back to him always? Or is there a little something extra I could do? Write to Rolex and compliment him, perhaps? Or...?

Any suggestions? Anything special that a customer has done for you?

I was also wondering if you know what will happen to the dial that was originally in my Rolex? I hope that it will go to someone else, because it was a beautiful dial, just not to my taste. :)

Many thanks and best wishes,
Lydia.

Last edited by lykame; 14 January 2011 at 05:36 AM.. Reason: To add more thoughts! :)
Old 14 January 2011, 05:58 AM   #347
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lykame View Post
Dear Chris,

Thanks so much for such an informative thread, I have read all of it and have thoroughly enjoyed the read. Thank you for giving so much of your time to this.

I was wondering something:

I recently bought a 26 mm Datejust from an authorised dealer in England. The person who served me is a lovely gentleman called Paul, and I feel he has been very good to me as a customer, and it's been nice feeling like that. I don't know whether he HAS gone beyond the call of duty so to speak, but he has seemed to, and not in a bad way. I'm grateful to him.

Indeed, seven days after I bought my Datejust, with its mother-of-pearl and diamond dial, I decided that I didn't like the mother-of-pearl. I phoned him and told him, and he very kindly liaised with Rolex and they agreed to send in more mother-of-pearl and diamond dials for me to assess. He told them my very specific requirements and therefore the very first dial they sent in for me to look at matched! So I have agreed for the dials to be exchanged. This is being done for free. :D

I have read that Rolex will exchange a dial in the first three months if there's a valid reason for it to be exchanged, because as much as Paul is lovely I doubt he would do anything for a loss. Having said that, I guess he also didn't have to go to those lengths to make me happy, especially as mother-of-pearl is so tricky, and when I posted about it here someone suggest I reward him....

I was therefore wondering - how could I do so? What would work? Will he be happy just that I'm happy? And that he's guaranteed that with his kindness, patience and professionalism I'll go back to him always? Or is there a little something extra I could do? Write to Rolex and compliment him, perhaps? Or...?

Any suggestions? Anything special that a customer has done for you?

I was also wondering if you know what will happen to the dial that was originally in my Rolex? I hope that it will go to someone else, because it was a beautiful dial, just not to my taste. :)

Many thanks and best wishes,
Lydia.
Hello Lydia,

Firstly, congrats on the Lady Datejust, I saw your pictures, it looks lovely

Now, if I have understood correctly, you started out with a white mother-of-pearl dial, but didn't like the particular colours within it, so swapped it for another: I can understand that, every MOP dial is unique, so it's a little hard to gauge when first buying the watch. It is true that Rolex offer a free dial exchange within the first three months (with the exception of the Daytona, where they charge a small fee, but that's beside the point!), we've often sorted out dial swaps both within the three months and at later points of the watch's life (can be a relatively cheap way to spice up the watch, and make it look different). Rolex are always very happy to send up dials for the customer to see before installing them, they always have plenty in stock at HQ, so it's no trouble for them. However, Paul should be commended for looking after your needs, and obviously has a bit of nous when it comes to watches for knowing about how much MOP can differ.

Praise from customers can be quite a rare thing, but it's always great to hear back from someone if they've been happy with the way they've been treated. Just popping in to say hello and saying how happy they are with the watch is a nice thing to see, as are letters as well. If you did want to write a letter, then writing direct to the shop would be the best way to ensure he got the message, but writing to Rolex certainly wouldn't hurt! I've personally had a couple of letters, as well as customers who come back to deal with me, and once a customer (who is actually a TRF member, but I shalln't name names - if you do read this though, thanks again ) got me a few bottles of my favourite beer to say thankyou, which was a lovely gesture. Do whatever you feel is right - I'm sure a small gift would be really appreciated.

As for your old dial, I expect it'll be returned into stock at King's Hill, and then find its way onto a watch at some point in the future. I'm sure it'll make someone very happy

Thanks for the question

Chris
Old 14 January 2011, 02:07 PM   #348
lykame
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hello Lydia,

Firstly, congrats on the Lady Datejust, I saw your pictures, it looks lovely

Now, if I have understood correctly, you started out with a white mother-of-pearl dial, but didn't like the particular colours within it, so swapped it for another: I can understand that, every MOP dial is unique, so it's a little hard to gauge when first buying the watch. It is true that Rolex offer a free dial exchange within the first three months (with the exception of the Daytona, where they charge a small fee, but that's beside the point!), we've often sorted out dial swaps both within the three months and at later points of the watch's life (can be a relatively cheap way to spice up the watch, and make it look different). Rolex are always very happy to send up dials for the customer to see before installing them, they always have plenty in stock at HQ, so it's no trouble for them. However, Paul should be commended for looking after your needs, and obviously has a bit of nous when it comes to watches for knowing about how much MOP can differ.

Praise from customers can be quite a rare thing, but it's always great to hear back from someone if they've been happy with the way they've been treated. Just popping in to say hello and saying how happy they are with the watch is a nice thing to see, as are letters as well. If you did want to write a letter, then writing direct to the shop would be the best way to ensure he got the message, but writing to Rolex certainly wouldn't hurt! I've personally had a couple of letters, as well as customers who come back to deal with me, and once a customer (who is actually a TRF member, but I shalln't name names - if you do read this though, thanks again ) got me a few bottles of my favourite beer to say thankyou, which was a lovely gesture. Do whatever you feel is right - I'm sure a small gift would be really appreciated.

As for your old dial, I expect it'll be returned into stock at King's Hill, and then find its way onto a watch at some point in the future. I'm sure it'll make someone very happy

Thanks for the question

Chris
Dear Chris,

Thank you so much for such a prompt and thorough response.

Wow that you saw my pictures! Yes, the watch is awesome. And I love the pictures, honestly. If the dial had looked like that in real life I would have been more than happy, but you have understood the situation perfectly. Unfortunately all the way from 10 until 6 it was very very green. Like a sort of solid-ish, artificial looking lime green, in nearly all types of light. And all the way from six until ten it was pink. The pink was more okay, somewhat. In the shop it was quite a nice combination, more subtle, and in the sun the dial was very pretty and pale, but under any other sort of artificial light it was gaudy and not at all 'white' EVER, even though it was technically 'white' mother-of-pearl. I was really gutted. For a whole week I agonised over it and felt like my disappointment was this big knot in my throat. For me this is a life-time watch, and I didn't even like the dial in the first week! That's not what I wanted.

Okay, so the new dial isn't 'white' either, but it doesn't have either pink or green in it - phew!

Oooh I just had one of those moments - if the dial is silver and the hands are silver, I hope it isn't too hard to read the dial?! Hahahahaha. I hadn't thought of that. You know what? I don't care. I love the new mother-of-pearl. I'm sure the mother-of-pearl will provide enough contrast against the straight lines of the hands.

Thank you for those suggestions. You have eased my mind; I will attempt to do all those things. Popping into the shop definitely, just when I'm on my way past. I think I will write that letter to the shop too, and cc it to Rolex. Having said this, eep! Paul gave me a 10% discount and two years interest free finance. But presumeably I should NOT mention those things if I'm going to send a copy to Rolex? Furthermore, is it okay to talk specifically about the dial change? I changed because I didn't like the dial - I would imagine that's a good enough reason? I really don't want to write a letter that inadvertently gets him into trouble!!!

As for a present - how did the gentleman that very kindly got you your favourite beer find out about that? Great idea - I had thought about such things but was concerned it would seem too much like... not enough.

And yay about the dial. I was concerned that it would get some sort of black mark against it. Or that it would become 'second-hand', which I guess technically it is, now, even though I'm sure it's pristine. Hopefully someone will get years of enjoyment out of it; I'm jealous of them already for loving it - I wish I had been able to.

Thanks again, Chris.

The best of regards,
Lydia.
Old 14 January 2011, 05:49 PM   #349
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Chris
Hi pal hope you are well.

Quick question do you find since the clasp updates on the sports range that people are put off buying one of the models which hasn't been updated yet ?

I have found myself looking at the ExpII and YM but since having my Sub-C find the old clasp just doesn't cut it ! Tried on a YM a few days ago and the loved the look but the bracelet/clap just didn't cut it !

I know Rolex are going through the process of updating the clasps etc but seems to be only a few a year ! I would of preferred it to be across the board.

Maybe this is just limited to people like myself who have the new style to compare and may not effect the general buyers who just make the one off purchase ?

Many thanks
Sam

P.S yeah didn't think the choc's would survive !!
Old 14 January 2011, 11:31 PM   #350
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lykame View Post
Dear Chris,

Thank you so much for such a prompt and thorough response.

Wow that you saw my pictures! Yes, the watch is awesome. And I love the pictures, honestly. If the dial had looked like that in real life I would have been more than happy, but you have understood the situation perfectly. Unfortunately all the way from 10 until 6 it was very very green. Like a sort of solid-ish, artificial looking lime green, in nearly all types of light. And all the way from six until ten it was pink. The pink was more okay, somewhat. In the shop it was quite a nice combination, more subtle, and in the sun the dial was very pretty and pale, but under any other sort of artificial light it was gaudy and not at all 'white' EVER, even though it was technically 'white' mother-of-pearl. I was really gutted. For a whole week I agonised over it and felt like my disappointment was this big knot in my throat. For me this is a life-time watch, and I didn't even like the dial in the first week! That's not what I wanted.

Okay, so the new dial isn't 'white' either, but it doesn't have either pink or green in it - phew!

Oooh I just had one of those moments - if the dial is silver and the hands are silver, I hope it isn't too hard to read the dial?! Hahahahaha. I hadn't thought of that. You know what? I don't care. I love the new mother-of-pearl. I'm sure the mother-of-pearl will provide enough contrast against the straight lines of the hands.

Thank you for those suggestions. You have eased my mind; I will attempt to do all those things. Popping into the shop definitely, just when I'm on my way past. I think I will write that letter to the shop too, and cc it to Rolex. Having said this, eep! Paul gave me a 10% discount and two years interest free finance. But presumeably I should NOT mention those things if I'm going to send a copy to Rolex? Furthermore, is it okay to talk specifically about the dial change? I changed because I didn't like the dial - I would imagine that's a good enough reason? I really don't want to write a letter that inadvertently gets him into trouble!!!

As for a present - how did the gentleman that very kindly got you your favourite beer find out about that? Great idea - I had thought about such things but was concerned it would seem too much like... not enough.

And yay about the dial. I was concerned that it would get some sort of black mark against it. Or that it would become 'second-hand', which I guess technically it is, now, even though I'm sure it's pristine. Hopefully someone will get years of enjoyment out of it; I'm jealous of them already for loving it - I wish I had been able to.

Thanks again, Chris.

The best of regards,
Lydia.
Hi Lydia,

Glad the new dial is spot on - when MOP is right, nothing else can compare 10% discount and 2 years IFC is a very impressive deal, but I would agree that mentioning the price perhaps isn't the best thing to do - just focus on praising the customer service, and I would mention the dial change too. You had a perfectly valid reason to change the dial, and Rolex are just as happy to see satisfied customers as sales staff I'm sure Rolex are very happy to hear when their sales staff go the extra mile, especially given how much negative press ADs seem to attract. People are always more likely to complain about a bad experience than praise a good experience, which makes someone going out of their way to say thankyou all that more special.

As for how my chap knew about the beer, he asked me I wouldn't worry about it not being enough, the gesture speaks far more loudly than the gift, especially if you've put some thought into it. As for the dial, it's not as if it'll have been damaged when you had it on your watch or when it was being swapped, so for all intents and purposes, it's as new

All the best,

Chris
Old 14 January 2011, 11:42 PM   #351
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
Chris
Hi pal hope you are well.

Quick question do you find since the clasp updates on the sports range that people are put off buying one of the models which hasn't been updated yet ?

I have found myself looking at the ExpII and YM but since having my Sub-C find the old clasp just doesn't cut it ! Tried on a YM a few days ago and the loved the look but the bracelet/clap just didn't cut it !

I know Rolex are going through the process of updating the clasps etc but seems to be only a few a year ! I would of preferred it to be across the board.

Maybe this is just limited to people like myself who have the new style to compare and may not effect the general buyers who just make the one off purchase ?

Many thanks
Sam

P.S yeah didn't think the choc's would survive !!

Hi Sam,

I'm well thanks, and yourself? How's the Sub-C treating you?

I have found that the non-revamped models are getting harder and harder to sell, especially if they're being compared directly to the new models. The ND Sub, for example, can be very hard to shift - people come in and love the look of it, but go away disappointed with the feel of the bracelet. They expect more from a watch costing so much, as a general rule. Of course, there will always be people who love the watch just the way it is, and I'm grateful for that, but it is hard to sell a ND Sub to a non-WIS these days.

At least with the YM and Exp II they're not quite as "jangly" as the ND Sub, but it still can be a hard sell, especially if they're upgrading from brands like Omega, for example. Indeed, I think the clasps and bracelets on Omegas are what really spurred Rolex into action, because they felt years ahead. I mean, some of these designs are pushing 20 years old, and no matter how many interim updates they put on them (SELs, slightly modified clasp designs, non-lughole cases), at some point they have to be retired. I think Omega benefit from having much shorter lifespans on their models, maybe half the life of that of a Rolex model. What was good in 1991 won't necessarily cut it in 2011: I have observed that last year, Explorer II and YM sales were pretty much dead in the water. I think all three of the models I've discussed will be seeing a change this year - the YM, for example, just needs the GMT IIc-style clasp, and it'll be fine. The Exp II and Sub ND need a little more work, IMO. Once they get those sorted, I honestly think Rolex will have the most consistently strong range of models of any mid-level luxury brand - Omega and Breitling, for all the gems in the range, have a lot of non-entities too, and have become very bloated, Omega particularly.

All the best,

Chris

PS. I never even got a look in with the chocs!
Old 15 January 2011, 12:05 AM   #352
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Chris

Yes I'm still loving the Sub-C :-)

TBH that was the downfall of both the ExpII and YM after taking off the Sub to try these on just felt underwhelmed ! Do love the YM and think it would be a great partner to the Sub but not until a clasp upgrade.

As we talked about did find a fellow WIS with a lightly modified Sub ND on NATO but again didn't push enough buttons well not when I know I'd always reach for the Sub-C in the morning!

I still kind of open to an idea on a second piece, did miss a blinding deal on a PO LM :-( but walked away and it was gone a week later when I went back.

Still think a YM or Milgauss might happen but then the second issue I have is the ever increasing price hike ! Wasn't to much an issue with the Sub as it was a new release and I got a great price and service but can imagine in a year or so it will be a good 1k up and I for one get put off something I could of purchased a year ago and exactly the same now but 1k higher !

Don't get me wrong I don't mind and understand a certain % increase and as models are revisted and updated but there is always a limit on price going up and the product being stagnant !

Sam
Old 15 January 2011, 03:21 AM   #353
George Ab
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Them
Hi Chris,

Have any TRF members seeked you out to buy from you at your store?

My other comment would be to UK TRF members who are looking to buy from an AD, "Why the hell not?".

Old 15 January 2011, 03:30 AM   #354
George Ab
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Them
Quote:
Originally Posted by candelmo View Post
Chris,

I need help with finding the correct box and all other paraphernalia that would have been included with the sale of my watch when it was new. It is a Rolex 18239 Serial "A" which would have been around 1998-1999. I also need a highly recommended Rolex service/repair person that would be local to Orange County, CA. Thanks for any help you can give me. Jim
I believe Chris is answering questions from an AD's salesperson perspective and his knowledge of how an AD works. As opposed to all things Rolex.

With some effort on your end, we have the resources right here on TRF for those types of questions. This thread discusses what box goes with what watch based on series/year: http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=74592. With that an eBay or other watch resouces you should be able to complete the package. Also in the reference section is a thread on independent watchmakers: http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=32666. Hope this helps.

Old 15 January 2011, 05:18 AM   #355
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
Chris

Yes I'm still loving the Sub-C :-)

TBH that was the downfall of both the ExpII and YM after taking off the Sub to try these on just felt underwhelmed ! Do love the YM and think it would be a great partner to the Sub but not until a clasp upgrade.

As we talked about did find a fellow WIS with a lightly modified Sub ND on NATO but again didn't push enough buttons well not when I know I'd always reach for the Sub-C in the morning!

I still kind of open to an idea on a second piece, did miss a blinding deal on a PO LM :-( but walked away and it was gone a week later when I went back.

Still think a YM or Milgauss might happen but then the second issue I have is the ever increasing price hike ! Wasn't to much an issue with the Sub as it was a new release and I got a great price and service but can imagine in a year or so it will be a good 1k up and I for one get put off something I could of purchased a year ago and exactly the same now but 1k higher !

Don't get me wrong I don't mind and understand a certain % increase and as models are revisted and updated but there is always a limit on price going up and the product being stagnant !

Sam
I would hope that the price rise that has just happened will be the last for a long time, but there's never any telling with Rolex, unfortunately. Anyway, keep an eye on Basel, maybe you'll see something you like

Chris
Old 15 January 2011, 05:19 AM   #356
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Ab View Post
Hi Chris,

Have any TRF members seeked you out to buy from you at your store?

My other comment would be to UK TRF members who are looking to buy from an AD, "Why the hell not?".
Hi George,

Yes, I have been approached by and dealt with several TRF members before, all an absolute pleasure

Chris
Old 15 January 2011, 05:28 AM   #357
Scandinavian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Chris. You are just a gentleman! Allways happy to read any of your opinion! Sorry my english, hope you get my point ps. what is your favourite beer?
Old 15 January 2011, 06:56 AM   #358
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandinavian View Post
Chris. You are just a gentleman! Allways happy to read any of your opinion! Sorry my english, hope you get my point ps. what is your favourite beer?
Thankyou I'm glad you enjoy reading my thoughts. As for my favourite beer, it's Marston's Pedigree - a proper English beer

Old 15 January 2011, 09:56 AM   #359
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thankyou I'm glad you enjoy reading my thoughts. As for my favourite beer, it's Marston's Pedigree - a proper English beer

Never even heard of that one. Have to make a trip over the pond to try it out.
Old 15 January 2011, 10:04 AM   #360
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
Never even heard of that one. Have to make a trip over the pond to try it out.
One of Burton-upon-Trent's finest, in my opinion Burton beers have a unique taste anyway due to the water, can't get anything else quite like it
Closed Thread