The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 29 August 2022, 09:51 AM   #1
Jmaster
"TRF" Member

Unexpected incoming…

Hi all,

I went to my AD wanting to check out a few watches (see last pic) and came out with a watch that was totally not expected. Sometimes you have to hold the watch on your hand and try it out before you can really decide if the watch fits you. That’s the magic of this hobby…discovering sometime that you don’t expect. This is definitely one of those situations where I felt in love with a piece when I have it in metal…

Ever since I saw the Vacheron Constantine Fiftysix line, I was not interested. My impression from the online photos and videos is that this is VC’s way to target the younger crowd, with a modern spin to the very classic design language of such a high-end brand. All the noises about the modified Cartier movement just further turned me off, and the weird date window further hurts the design. However, when I saw this Complete Calendar in person, that impression completely changed. Here are a few things that surprised me:

- The Case. The case shape was one of my biggest surprises. It has a very nice contour to it. The maltese cross features and all the details around the complete polished case create a cushion like shape that looks a lot better in real life than just online pictures. I also like the slight recessed crown and boxes type sapphire. I read online that some people think it’s more 40mm, but to me, this watch wears a little small which fits my 6-1/2 wrist really well.

- The Dial. The blue dial with three different finishes looks amazing in real life. I found a lot more details, such as the reflections of the dates around the edge of the dial, or the white gold frame around the moon window. The Petrol Blue is a little deeper blue than your typical blue dial. It goes from bright under the Sun to dark blue indoor. This completed calendar dial layout is very well balanced and “fixed” the date window issue of the self-winding model.

- The Movement. This completed calendar is the same Geneva seal movement that goes into the Traditionalle, with a 22K gold skeleton rotor with 3 different finishing. Obviously, this is holy trinity level finishing.

- The Strap and Buckle. The dark blue alligator strap has a grey tone to it that matches the Petro blue dial really well. VC butterfly style deployment bucket fits my wrist really well, frankly a lot more comfortable than the Patek deployment buckle.

Overall, I love that the retro-modern look of this watch. In stainless, it’s less of a full dress watch that can easily go with jeans, yet I can wear it with a suit. I always see VC as a dressy brand with the exception of the Oversea line but this one seems to come a little less dressy. At the same time, I discovered a lot of VC details on this watch that make me appreciate the design. Again, completely unexpected but I walk out the store super happy with this purchase.

Hope you enjoy this “review.” Here are a few pictures.
Old 29 August 2022, 01:51 PM   #2
jed11
"TRF" Member

Huge congratulations. While I only have the simple automatic (gray dial), I too fell in love with int when I saw it in person. All three models in stainless steel represent huge value in my opinion. They are fantastic. Enjoy it!
jed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2022, 09:28 PM   #3
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2022, 02:39 AM   #4
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
Love it. Congratulations
MichelleP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2022, 12:05 PM   #5
Jmaster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed11 View Post
Huge congratulations. While I only have the simple automatic (gray dial), I too fell in love with int when I saw it in person. All three models in stainless steel represent huge value in my opinion. They are fantastic. Enjoy it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Congratulations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleP View Post
Love it. Congratulations
Thanks all.

@jed11 - agree with the huge value prop of this line, especially with the Stainless version. Also make them easier to dress down for more everyday use.
Old 30 August 2022, 03:51 PM   #6
Nathan_
"TRF" Member

congratulations on the new pick up!
Nathan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2022, 11:15 PM   #7
JayHantz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @Escapementt
Congratulations! I love this blue dial and the complete calendar is just special.
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2022, 11:51 PM   #8
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
congrats
Old 31 August 2022, 04:15 AM   #9
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

Congrats -- I'd walk away a happy camper too with that VC. Wear in good health
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2022, 07:33 AM   #10
zuckuss86
"TRF" Member

Congrats! this watch is on my radar in a big way. Debating silver or blue dial though.

Did they just have it for you at the AD? That's great if so...I've heard they're not super easy to get...
zuckuss86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2022, 08:12 AM   #11
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
Very nice reference. Congrats!
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2022, 10:56 AM   #12
Jmaster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuckuss86 View Post
Congrats! this watch is on my radar in a big way. Debating silver or blue dial though.

Did they just have it for you at the AD? That's great if so...I've heard they're not super easy to get...
Yes, they just received one and it's available for me to purchase. They get 1-2 every few months, and I just happened to be visiting when it got in. I think the Stainless models are not as widely available as the gold models, but they do come by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHantz View Post
Congratulations! I love this blue dial and the complete calendar is just special.
Thanks. It's exactly the combo of the special blue dial and the movement that pushed me over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster Sauce View Post
Congrats -- I'd walk away a happy camper too with that VC. Wear in good health
Thank you. Definitely enjoying it on my wrist. You wear yours in good health too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan_ View Post
congratulations on the new pick up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonovox View Post
Very nice reference. Congrats!
Thanks everyone.
Old 31 August 2022, 11:03 AM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Beautiful reference, congratulations
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2022, 11:38 AM   #14
zuckuss86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaster View Post
Yes, they just received one and it's available for me to purchase. They get 1-2 every few months, and I just happened to be visiting when it got in. I think the Stainless models are not as widely available as the gold models, but they do come by.
I should have been more specific, yes I meant the stainless version. That's great! congrats again.
zuckuss86 is online now   Reply With Quote