The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 4 January 2023, 04:48 AM   #1
Johnald
"TRF" Member

Day-Date Hunting

Happy new year gents!
I’ve been waiting patiently for a call from one of the ADs in my area about a new watch (my first Rolex). In the meantime, I’ve been searching online forums and secondary market retailers for Rolexes both old and new, PM, SS, and TT. I’m particularly interested in a Day-Date.

I have come across a WG Day-Date, apparently from ‘83 (one year off from my birth year) that I want as the “dress watch” in my collection.

I would love to get opinions on the watch (pics attached) and what a reasonable price would be. Sorry the pics aren’t the best, I had some trouble formatting everything to fit using my tablet.

Also, it seems like vintage DDs are selling for less as a percentage of their new MSRP than pro models like the Submariner. I know their are a lot of variables there, but at least anecdotally, it seems to to be the case in my searches. I wonder if it’s because the DDs come in so many different combos (bezel, bracelet, dial, gems, etc.) and finding the right buyer for a given configuration is more difficult than a watch like the submariner which is more of a “cookie cutter” watch for lack of a better term, which has a broader appea.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 96B9F07B-E243-4A06-BA41-19C6FA53C659.jpeg (181.8 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpeg 41709388-6707-4BAD-AC8B-2ED40A12DC28.jpeg (167.5 KB, 250 views)
Johnald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2023, 09:26 AM   #2
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
I would guess the value is about $16k.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Carree 2961, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2023, 09:56 AM   #3
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

There have been many many DayDates produced since the 50’s, hence the reason they are “cheaper”. Yellow and rose gold aren’t in style like the 80s either so there just isn’t as much demand as the sport watches.

That said, I love mine and wear it more than my other ones.
TheWatchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2023, 10:43 AM   #4
agsstructures
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzsiam View Post
I would guess the value is about $16k.
in agreement with this, pretty good estimate without b&p
agsstructures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2023, 03:05 PM   #5
Johnald
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post

That said, I love mine and wear it more than my other ones.
This watch is a little too fancy for my daily wear/work watch, but man I think it’s a killer. I’ll have to take the wife out more often so I can have a chance to wear it.

Thanks for the replies gents!
Old 4 January 2023, 03:21 PM   #6
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 60s to 90s
Based on just the 2 pics it looks like a single quick 18039 with decent bracelet tightness, correct roman dial, and fairly light polishing.
I like what I can see but you should check all of it out, or post several more photos.
Old 4 January 2023, 04:00 PM   #7
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Looks good.

But gold is yellow.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2023, 10:53 PM   #8
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Not a fan of the dial but if it works for you then go for it.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2023, 10:56 PM   #9
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum John

You could search for the same reference number on a site like chrono24 to get an idea of comparisons.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2023, 01:59 AM   #10
Johnald
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Welcome to the forum John

You could search for the same reference number on a site like chrono24 to get an idea of comparisons.
Thanks!

I have done this, and the prices mentioned above seem to be pretty accurate, but there are so many nuances to these watches like “rare” dials or parts that have been replaced or refinished that I wanted to hear from some experts. I’m just getting started in this hobby so I’ve got a ton left to learn.
Old 5 January 2023, 02:00 AM   #11
Johnald
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Looks good.

But gold is yellow.
I can’t pull off a full yellow gold. I could do a YM rose gold on oyster though….
Your point is well taken, I think what you’re saying is that I need platinum.
Old 5 January 2023, 02:56 AM   #12
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

The thing about vintage Day-Dates is that the rarer the dial the more expensive they are.

There are a few variations like bezels but generally it's the dial that adds the most value since there were so many produced but many of them are rarely seen like the coral or full baguette sapphires, etc. The WG dials are also multiple times more valuable than their YG cousins.

A loose WG vignette dial can sell for what a complete YG DD costs. A factory coral you're looking close to 6 figures.
Incroyable12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2023, 04:04 AM   #13
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnald View Post
Also, it seems like vintage DDs are selling for less as a percentage of their new MSRP than pro models like the Submariner. I know their are a lot of variables there, but at least anecdotally, it seems to to be the case in my searches. I wonder if it’s because the DDs come in so many different combos (bezel, bracelet, dial, gems, etc.) and finding the right buyer for a given configuration is more difficult than a watch like the submariner which is more of a “cookie cutter” watch for lack of a better term, which has a broader appea.

What do you guys think?
I think it has more to do with size and metal. DD now available in 40mm.
Vintage DD's are 36mm. Vintage Subs are 40mm.

Gold models tend not to have as good of resale than their cheaper steel counterparts.

Throw in dress watch versus sport watch on top, as a 3rd reason.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2023, 04:12 AM   #14
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

On one hand they do seem like a good deal when looking at steel models. On the other hand the prices have gone up 50% from 2 years ago. Are the prices inflated at this point?
It took 8 years 2012 to 2020 to go up 40%.
Old 5 January 2023, 06:24 AM   #15
Johnald
"TRF" Member

I really picked the wrong time to finally be able to afford one of these… I’ve wanted a Rolex since I was about 14 or 15 years old. Fast forward to now when I can finally justify the purchase, I walked into an AD and boy did I get a rude awakening! If only I had the cash a decade ago.

As an aside, when I was finishing up undergrad in May of 2017 my buddy was finishing his masters in business. At a get-together I was hosting for graduation he was really pushing people to invest in bitcoin. I look at the price of bitcoin in May of 2017 and what it did shortly thereafter and just laugh. I sure missed that boat! Not that I had a whole ton of cash to throw into it…
Old 5 January 2023, 06:58 AM   #16
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnald View Post
I really picked the wrong time to finally be able to afford one of these… I’ve wanted a Rolex since I was about 14 or 15 years old. Fast forward to now when I can finally justify the purchase, I walked into an AD and boy did I get a rude awakening! If only I had the cash a decade ago.

As an aside, when I was finishing up undergrad in May of 2017 my buddy was finishing his masters in business. At a get-together I was hosting for graduation he was really pushing people to invest in bitcoin. I look at the price of bitcoin in May of 2017 and what it did shortly thereafter and just laugh. I sure missed that boat! Not that I had a whole ton of cash to throw into it…
I think the majority of increase in price was due to the influx of crypto. The values just went up too much, too quickly, from a historical perspective.
And the hyped models have come back down with crypto as well, although with a lag.