The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 22 September 2019, 02:30 AM   #1
sabel
"TRF" Member

Quiz : what's up with this 16800?

OK - so there is this 16800 sub in the window of this jewellers. Being sold as matt dial transitional sub, collectable etc etc -- with a price to match. Looks pretty crisp doesn't it? Can you see what's wrong with it?

It's such a dumb mistake I am wondering if it's actually not intentionally fake but a real replacement dial, post 2000. The guy selling it doesn't have much of a clue. Does anyone know if rolex replacement dials for 16800 ever looked like this?
Attached Files
File Type: zip 16800.zip (1.40 MB, 135 views)
sabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 03:06 AM   #2
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Can't see much from that photo, but it looks like it has service SL hands and dial. So nothing clearly "wrong" with it, unless it's advertised as all-original.
Old 22 September 2019, 03:34 AM   #3
Storky
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1680
X2 - IMHO Tritium dot in the insert, just a service dial and hands so it can’t be ‘all original’
Old 22 September 2019, 07:24 AM   #4
Kowaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: G Shock
Typical Rolex service replaced dial and hands during service because the Tritium would crumble and get in the movement. A few years ago no one cared, in fact getting a new face and hands and polish made the watch brand new. My guess is that during service that’s what happened but no reason to change out the bezel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kowaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 09:26 PM   #5
sabel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Can't see much from that photo, but it looks like it has service SL hands and dial. So nothing clearly "wrong" with it, unless it's advertised as all-original.
The weird thing is the "SWISS MADE" at 6 O'clock. These dials would normally have "swiss T<25" or similar. But anyone faking a dial would know that and simply copy the correct thing. Hence the puzzle. I know sea dwellers since 2000 have "SWISS MADE" at 6 O'clock.
Old 22 September 2019, 09:28 PM   #6
sabel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storky View Post
X2 - IMHO Tritium dot in the insert, just a service dial and hands so it can’t be ‘all original’
Yes I agree I think the insert actually is original and aged correctly.
Old 22 September 2019, 11:45 PM   #7
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabel View Post
The weird thing is the "SWISS MADE" at 6 O'clock. These dials would normally have "swiss T<25" or similar. But anyone faking a dial would know that and simply copy the correct thing. Hence the puzzle. I know sea dwellers since 2000 have "SWISS MADE" at 6 O'clock.
That's not weird and not fake, it's just one type of luminova service dial. Google it and you will find other examples.

OK, here is one example I found quickly:
https://www.hqmilton.com/timepieces/...ice-dial-A1327
Old 23 September 2019, 03:23 AM   #8
sabel
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=Dan S;9999149]That's not weird and not fake, it's just one type of luminova service dial. Google it and you will find other examples.

OK - thanks!! Good spot. I have never seen a matt service dial before -- didn't know matt service dials are even a thing in fact.

Price = £6750 = $8327 -- ?? Bit much for something not original?
Old 2 October 2019, 04:26 AM   #9
Cmoe
"TRF" Member

Good afternoon everyone, it’s a long shot, after emailing and messaging people on everything from ADs to Chrono24, I’ve found myself on this forum looking for my dads watch. He had a Rolex 16800 serial number 7478XXX, he sold the watch to get my brother into college and I’m looking to purchase the watch. He sold it in the 2011 to 2013 time frame in Texas through eBay and at the time it had its original box and papers, if anyone can help me find it that would be amazing.
Cmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2019, 05:59 AM   #10
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoe View Post
Good afternoon everyone, it’s a long shot, after emailing and messaging people on everything from ADs to Chrono24, I’ve found myself on this forum looking for my dads watch. He had a Rolex 16800 serial number 7478XXX, he sold the watch to get my brother into college and I’m looking to purchase the watch. He sold it in the 2011 to 2013 time frame in Texas through eBay and at the time it had its original box and papers, if anyone can help me find it that would be amazing.
You will probably want to start your own thread so that your post doesnt get mixed up with the original posters here.

Also, it will be quite hard to find your dads watch since there is no serial number database. You will need to post a WTB ad with a Pledge membership or start asking around to 16800 owners and specifically ask if their watch is your dads. Good luck to you.
Old 2 October 2019, 06:37 AM   #11
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoe View Post
If sold on eBay you can go onto his account and find the buyer no?
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2019, 06:59 AM   #12
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Getting back to the OP’s topic...

The price being asked is a bit high if you consider the replacement dial. But as a 30 y.o. SD it’ll work just fine despite that.

Not an item a flipper should buy, but if you hold it for 20 years or so and then sell it, I think you’d do well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote