The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 November 2013, 11:49 AM   #31
WhatTheDeuce
"TRF" Member

Watch: cha want...
Quote:
Originally Posted by www777 View Post
Just got mine today. Outstanding piece. I think my Daytona collection is complete with the following.

Platinum
WG panda bracelet
WG strap
RG strap ceramic
RG black face bracelet
SS white face

Anything I'm missing?
Something in YG?
Old 30 November 2013, 12:05 PM   #32
ufboy73
Banned

Quote:
Just got mine today. Outstanding piece. I think my Daytona collection is complete with the following.
ya think???

congrats!
ufboy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2013, 01:08 PM   #33
TimeOnMyHands
Banned

Watch: 16570
Quote:

Platinum
WG panda bracelet
WG strap
RG strap ceramic
RG black face bracelet
SS white face

Anything I'm missing?
Yes, upside if you would have invested that money instead of buying different colors of the same watch.
TimeOnMyHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2013, 01:59 PM   #34
Nidal
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC LV
You have to be a single millionaire to afford different color Daytona's with these variants.
:)
Nidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2013, 08:16 AM   #35
alexxelor
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
I would have preferred the bezel in platinum
alexxelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2013, 08:20 AM   #36
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:

Platinum
WG panda bracelet
WG strap
RG strap ceramic
RG black face bracelet
SS white face

Anything I'm missing?
Pics?? Congrats and can't wait to get mine!!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2013, 08:26 AM   #37
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

Platinum
WG panda bracelet
WG strap
RG strap ceramic
RG black face bracelet
SS white face

Anything I'm missing?

Anything you are missing???

Yes!!

Pix!

One, of the platty and, two, that immense collection. Can't wait!
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2013, 12:52 PM   #38
Perilo
2024 Pledge Member

Tried this one on while passing through the Hong Kong airport a few weeks back...looked and felt great in person...even with the plastic still intact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1 December 2013, 12:57 PM   #39
Nidal
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC LV
How much should you have in the bank to spend that kind of money on a watch, ALOT
Nidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2013, 02:28 PM   #40
themast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidal View Post
How much should you have in the bank to spend that kind of money on a watch, ALOT
So what?

I do not want to be mean but your posts, within this thread, are... how can I say...lame.
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2013, 03:11 PM   #41
TimeOnMyHands
Banned

Okay, I'll be the first....

If this Daytona was in stainless steel with that brown china bezel - and brings zero improvements/engineering advancements over the last x-years of the SS Daytona model, please explain.....would there be this much hype, if any??? If Rolex made it in un-ob-tanium - does that make it more special? What happens when someone installs that blue face with a brown bezel on a stainless model?? (yes I know that brown/black china is only avail on gold/plat models.....for now.....)

Better to buy actual troys of platinum or gold or silver...look at the prices of a used all gold Daytona vs. new. And what is Rolex trying to sell one of these for..$65K? To be honest I would rather have a plat day/date. No china, love the bracelet AND we have a day and date....whoa...!

Can anyone confirm if a Skydweller is worth more than when they were first available? And that timepiece is plenty past the Daytona in many, many ways....

Not Grinching here...but this watch is simply a Rolex marketing make-over (evidently effective) making the same Daytona with a controversial bezel/dial combo in plat. Great for their bottom line, once again!
Old 1 December 2013, 05:49 PM   #42
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOnMyHands View Post

If this Daytona was in stainless steel with that brown china bezel - and brings zero improvements/engineering advancements over the last x-years of the SS Daytona model, please explain.....would there be this much hype, if any??? If Rolex made it in un-ob-tanium - does that make it more special? What happens when someone installs that blue face with a brown bezel on a stainless model?? (yes I know that brown/black china is only avail on gold/plat models.....for now.....)

Better to buy actual troys of platinum or gold or silver...look at the prices of a used all gold Daytona vs. new. And what is Rolex trying to sell one of these for..$65K? To be honest I would rather have a plat day/date. No china, love the bracelet AND we have a day and date....whoa...!

Can anyone confirm if a Skydweller is worth more than when they were first available? And that timepiece is plenty past the Daytona in many, many ways....

Not Grinching here...but this watch is simply a Rolex marketing make-over (evidently effective) making the same Daytona with a controversial bezel/dial combo in plat. Great for their bottom line, once again!
I don't recall ever reading anyone say that this model was in any way functionally better than a steel Daytona. I think you're looking past the simple fact that people buy what they like. Be it aesthetics, weight, or whatever. Given that $75k is the price of admission, you either pay or you don't.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2013, 05:58 PM   #43
TimeOnMyHands
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
........ Be it aesthetics, weight, or whatever. Given that $75k is the price of admission, you either pay or you don't.
So you kind of feel that paying a price premium of +$66,000 (less what ever discount you may maneuver over a LNIB SS) for 'weight/aesthetics/whatever' for the same (identical in SS mechanical and dial info...) timepiece is a price of admission? Admission to what....the class of how to loose 60% of your net capital in one play?
Old 1 December 2013, 06:05 PM   #44
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
So you kind of feel that paying a price premium of +$66,000 (less what ever discount you may maneuver over a LNIB SS) for 'weight/aesthetics/whatever' for the same (identical in SS mechanical and dial info...) timepiece is a price of admission? Admission to what....the class of how to loose 60% of your net capital in one play?
Sure. You pay for what you want. Of course, I'd love for Rolex to price their watches lower but that's pretty much true of that Patek Minute Repeater I want or the AP Tourbillon or the RM... My point is I see no reason to judge people who choose to spend their hard earned dollars on what they want. If you're not willing to sit at the table, no one's editorializing your decision to do so. Intimating that anyone who buys a $75k Daytona is stupid, isn't going to win you many points.
Old 1 December 2013, 06:21 PM   #45
redsubby
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Different materials for different audience, that's why watch companies make the same watch in several types of materials. If you don't want to spend the premium on a gold/platinum watch, then don't. No one's going to tell you that your steel Rolex is junk so you shouldn't judge those who are into these heavy metals.
redsubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2013, 06:31 PM   #46
TimeOnMyHands
Banned

Quote:
..... hard earned dollars....... editorializing your decision to do so. Intimating that anyone who buys a $75k Daytona is stupid, isn't going to win you many points.
"...hard earned dollars....... " maybe it is just me, a lowly middle class guy, but I have a hard time fathoming how a hard working guy would spend "$75K >>"Hard earned dollars"<< on a watch - palatable in the same statement..

"anyone who buys a $75k Daytona is stupid, isn't going to win you many points"
This is a friendly forum, please refrain from direct insults in an effort to keep it that way. Not sure who is keeping 'points' as you note. My words conducted no stupid insinuations.

"Intimating that anyone who buys a $75k Daytona is stupid" I'll stop you right there for putting words in my mouth....just stating that Rolex has a wonderful marketing tool and the fact that this model brings little value as well as poor collect-ability....if you have $60-70k and you want a blue faced/brown china bezel Daytona w/ a clasp/case stamped 950 which looks like stainless, buy it!

Need an investment adviser..?
Old 1 December 2013, 06:40 PM   #47
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
"...hard earned dollars....... " maybe it is just me, a lowly middle class guy, but I have a hard time fathoming how a hard working guy would spend "$75K >>"Hard earned dollars"<< on a watch - palatable in the same statement..

"anyone who buys a $75k Daytona is stupid, isn't going to win you many points"
This is a friendly forum, please refrain from direct insults in an effort to keep it that way. Not sure who is keeping 'points' as you note. My words conducted no stupid insinuations.

"Intimating that anyone who buys a $75k Daytona is stupid" I'll stop you right there for putting words in my mouth....just stating that Rolex has a wonderful marketing tool and the fact that this model brings little value as well as poor collect-ability....if you have $60-70k and you want a blue faced/brown china bezel Daytona w/ a clasp/case stamped 950 which looks like stainless, buy it!

Need an investment adviser..?
I don't see how anyone's financial status has any bearing on someone working hard for their money?

"just stating that Rolex has a wonderful marketing tool and the fact that this model brings little value as well as poor collect-ability" Should have said that sooner but that's just one opinion. Some may disagree with your assessment on value and collectibility while others don't care about that (and just like the watch).

"Need an investment adviser..?" Thanks but I've got one (who wears a YG DD2) and is very supportive of my watch collecting hobby.
Old 1 December 2013, 07:09 PM   #48
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If one can truly afford it (ie to pay 66k premium) why not? I certainly would.

Admittedly my PT DDII had been mistaken by AD for a DJ2. Do I feel silly to pay that much extra? Well logic says I should but honestly I actually don't cos I buy what I like. So it's the price I paid for my own enjoyment.

What about PP"s asking price for a SS nautilus? Now we are talking

IMHO one just cannot put a logic on luxury goods where it is all about the intangible "feel good" factors.

HAGWE
jen
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2013, 07:20 PM   #49
TimeOnMyHands
Banned

Quote:
I don't see how anyone's financial status has any bearing on someone working hard for their money?

"just stating that Rolex has a wonderful marketing tool and the fact that this model brings little value as well as poor collect-ability" Should have said that sooner but that's just one opinion. Some may disagree with your assessment on value and collectibility while others don't care about that (and just like the watch).

"Need an investment adviser..?" Thanks but I've got one (who wears a YG DD2) and is very supportive of my watch collecting hobby.
You wrote; "I don't see how anyone's financial status has any bearing on someone working hard for their money?"

Well to clarify, if money means something, then a $75K version of a $10K watch might bring something into consideration. Please explain what owning a $75K version of a $10K watch is buying, what is it bringing into your life, investment savy or otherwise (focus on the otherwise..) If you have it, spend it, but Rolex has brought nothing new to the table with this iteration. Easy come. Easy go.

Money wise. Lets face it. We all have some disposable income which provides us a seat at the horology collectors table, no question. Rolex is just one card in the hand. Meaning there are many other brands to delve into!

Not insinuating that a Platinum Daytona is not a lovely timepiece, but simply stating that in Plat. w/ brown china bezel, @ $75K one may (can and will) own a lovely Rolex collection while not looking back on a poor investment, irregardless of what your investment adviser wears. A YGDD2, nice piece!
Old 1 December 2013, 07:21 PM   #50
up2nogood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
If we're going to descend into a value of luxury conversation, what uncomplicated, mass produced SS watch is worth $10k?
If the only firm legally able to make a widget in the material and design you like is charging x, how are you going to pay y?
And do they stop? Ask Duesenberg/Hispano Suiza/Bugatti. They didn't start producing compacts, they went bust. I suspect Rolex would do the same, if ever it came to that.
up2nogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2013, 07:37 PM   #51
TimeOnMyHands
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjanef View Post
IMHO one just cannot put a logic on luxury goods where it is all about the intangible "feel good" factors.

HAGWE
jen

Sure. Indeed. As I mentioned, easy come, easy go. The meaningful threads on this forum or other Rolex forums are for those who when they obtain a Rolex, when they place a Rolex on their wrists for the very first time, that it actually is a special moment in their lives.

For those who buy and sell and post solid gold Rolex in multiples - lets face it - they are not special to them are they? If you have five gold Rolex, how do you miss one, or two?? Perhaps not. Sure we love to see them and wish we could afford a $150K collection of gold Rolex, and maybe we come to this forum to live, read and view those Rolex, but realistically, we are casting baseless compliments.

Again, not on the Grinch sled, however we are lovingly applauding the owners, the millions of owners of the simple, lowly stainless Rolex, those persons where / when the watch on your wrist is worth more than the value of the watch, the experience, the history, the accuracy, the pedigree, and gold or platinum or stainless, that silly timepiece on your wrist actually means something, something which you are hard pressed to find words to express.
Old 1 December 2013, 07:45 PM   #52
TimeOnMyHands
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by up2nogood View Post
If we're going to descend into a value of luxury conversation, what uncomplicated, mass produced SS watch is worth $10k?
If the only firm legally able to make a widget in the material and design you like is charging x, how are you going to pay y?
And do they stop? Ask Duesenberg/Hispano Suiza/Bugatti. They didn't start producing compacts, they went bust. I suspect Rolex would do the same, if ever it came to that.
A Mensa quiz? If the only firm legally able to make a widget in the material and design you like is charging x, how are you going to pay y?

Legally able?
Old 1 December 2013, 08:27 PM   #53
kkwn98
"TRF" Member

Quote:

If this Daytona was in stainless steel with that brown china bezel - and brings zero improvements/engineering advancements over the last x-years of the SS Daytona model, please explain.....would there be this much hype, if any???
Maybe. Maybe not. Who knows with Rolex?
Quote:
If Rolex made it in un-ob-tanium - does that make it more special? What happens when someone installs that blue face with a brown bezel on a stainless model?? (yes I know that brown/black china is only avail on gold/plat models.....for now.....)
If Rolex made it in unobtanium, yes, it does make it more special to some.

Why do you insist on calling the ceramic "china"?

Quote:
That's fine, if that's what you want.

Quote:
Your posts suggest you are.

Quote:
You wrote; "I don't see how anyone's financial status has any bearing on someone working hard for their money?"

Well to clarify, if money means something, then a $75K version of a $10K watch might bring something into consideration. Please explain what owning a $75K version of a $10K watch is buying, what is it bringing into your life, investment savy or otherwise (focus on the otherwise..) If you have it, spend it, but Rolex has brought nothing new to the table with this iteration. Easy come. Easy go.

Money wise. Lets face it. We all have some disposable income which provides us a seat at the horology collectors table, no question. Rolex is just one card in the hand. Meaning there are many other brands to delve into!

Not insinuating that a Platinum Daytona is not a lovely timepiece, but simply stating that in Plat. w/ brown china bezel, @ $75K one may (can and will) own a lovely Rolex collection while not looking back on a poor investment, irregardless of what your investment adviser wears. A YGDD2, nice piece!
Nobody has to explain anything. Nobody owes you an explanation of their motivations.
Quote:
For those who buy and sell and post solid gold Rolex in multiples - lets face it - they are not special to them are they? If you have five gold Rolex, how do you miss one, or two?? Perhaps not. Sure we love to see them and wish we could afford a $150K collection of gold Rolex, and maybe we come to this forum to live, read and view those Rolex, but realistically, we are casting baseless compliments.
Who are you to tell me my precious metal Rolexes aren't special to me?

Quote:
Again, not on the Grinch sled, however we are lovingly applauding the owners, the millions of owners of the simple, lowly stainless Rolex, those persons where / when the watch on your wrist is worth more than the value of the watch, the experience, the history, the accuracy, the pedigree, and gold or platinum or stainless, that silly timepiece on your wrist actually means something, something which you are hard pressed to find words to express.
I'm afraid your posts suggest you are indeed on the "Grinch sled". Just live and let live.
kkwn98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2013, 08:31 PM   #54
kkwn98
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themast View Post
So what?

I do not want to be mean but your posts, within this thread, are... how can I say...lame.
x2
kkwn98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2013, 08:34 PM   #55
up2nogood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Hardly a Mensa quiz? Just taking copies out of the conversation and keeping it to original designer pricing.
In any event, I hear what you are saying. As are many of the heavy hitters in here who have abstained from acquiring one of these at RRP, I think they too agree with what your points. Sure, the ultra wealthy aren't quibbling, but there is a limit to those who would not just go and get themselves a complicated (insert name of manufacturer here) piece instead of a no date chrono in platinum.

For me, however, it's still the first Daytona I have liked. I will probably still buy one. But you can bet it won't be at retail.
up2nogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2013, 08:59 PM   #56
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkwn98 View Post

Nobody has to explain anything. Nobody owes you an explanation of their motivations.

I'm afraid your posts suggest you are indeed on the "Grinch sled". Just live and let live.
Well said and agree 100%!!

As for TimeOnMyHands: I guess you have too much time on your hands. Don't bother posting in this thread again or it could be your last. You have insulted enough people.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 1 December 2013, 09:03 PM   #57
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Incredibly good points by all. Sure it's just a platinum Daytona nothing special right.....I disagree. A Casio G-shock in platinum becomes very special to me. Why, BECAUSE platinum.
If you don't get it, oh well.
Take the Submariner 116619, just the same old Sub, but in very special clothing. It may look like ss but if you saw it on a wrist in public it would make a statement but only to those that know. 90% of real luxury is like that.
And just like when you get dressed, best tuxedo in town, crispy white shirt, immaculate shoes....you feel quite special and different than just a wife beater and cut off shorts, yet it's the same old you.

This Daytona has it's best clothes on, and dammit if doesn't look good. That's all it is and if one cannot understand "why"....then this isn't the thread.
I can't afford one but love to enjoy looking at it in a real setting the same as I admire an Enzo as it roars on by.

So let's back to the pics and perhaps start another thread and discuss its value, collectibility and blah, blah, blah.
All this talk is taking up precious picture real estate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2013, 10:58 PM   #58
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan65 View Post
Well said and agree 100%!!

As for TimeOnMyHands: I guess you have too much time on your hands. Don't bother posting in this thread again or it could be your last. You have insulted enough people.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2013, 11:06 PM   #59
HL65

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 1 December 2013, 11:30 PM   #60
Eugene-Taiwan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkwn98 View Post

Well said!
116520 Black Dial, Tudor Heritage Classic Blue,116680,NomosAhoi,116710BLNR,ROO carbon 44mm,PAM507
Eugene-Taiwan is offline   Reply With Quote