The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 4 January 2020, 11:32 PM   #1
Lucas2020
"TRF" Member

Warranty issues

I have purchased an AP 15400 last Christmas in the grey market. Really excited until this happened.

On the warranty booklet stats date of purchase was Feb 2018 stamped by Hour Glass, Authorised Dealer. However, when I send it over to Audemars Piguet, they said that the warranty has ran out in early 2019 and the warranty was activated in 2017.

Anyone knows how is this possible? I have checked in with Hour Glass themselves and they themselves mentioned that this is highly impossible.
Lucas2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 11:36 PM   #2
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Did you register it online? It will tell you the date that the warrant starts and finishes.

I think it's 2 years warranty as standard and then an additional 3 years if registered online and bought from an official AD.

So it's 2 years from first supplied to a customer from an AD, but again, the online registration will tell you the dates that matter.
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 11:37 PM   #3
Avuong6494
"TRF" Member

Not sure exactly what the problem is, but what how I understand it is:

Warranty = 2 years from purchase

+3 additional years if you register the watch within the first 2 years.

I think what needs to be figured out is the true “purchase date”. Perhaps a receipt request from hour glass might help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Avuong6494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2020, 11:43 PM   #4
Lucas2020
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the replies!

There's no receipt as it was from the grey market. The only thing surfaced was the stamp on the booklet. I have checked in with Hourglass, and what they said was they will only stamp during the date of purchase.

I read somewhere and another forum member said that the warranty starts the moment it lands with the Authorised Dealer, not when the purchase was made. That didn't make sense though!

It's just weird!
Old 5 January 2020, 02:31 AM   #5
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Did hourglass confirm feb 2018? If so ask them to contact APSC on your behalf. That’s BS
Old 5 January 2020, 03:18 AM   #6
jestrada
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, 216570 Pol
Had a similar issue with my AP Diver. I suggest that you create an AP account online, register your watch and then email AP via the website detailing your concern. Just send them a screen shot of the warranty booklet showing the stamped date when the warranty was supposedly activated. Whole thing took me a couple hours with the back and forth and I got the extra 3yr warranty as well. Good luck and hope all works out for you.

jestrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 12:37 PM   #7
Lucas2020
"TRF" Member

GB-man I have check in with Hourglass and they are not able to comment as they have no idea why it was like this. Seemed like they are just pushing the responsibilities around. They claimed that it's not possible for this to happen and then just said they could not do much.

jestrada Thanks for the glimpse of hope! I have drafted an email and send it over to Audemars Piguet. Fingers crossed - if not a one time servicing cost around $2000. Gosh! Did you get your AP Diver from a reseller as well?
Old 5 January 2020, 12:46 PM   #8
jestrada
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, 216570 Pol
Yup. I got mine from a gray as well. Warranty booklet was stamped Dec ‘17 but when I registered the watch online, the website says that the warranty was activated earlier. I just emailed AP politely about the discrepancy and they asked me to send a screenshot of the stamped warranty booklet afterwhich they said that they’ll look in to it. Couple of hours or so later, they said all’s been handled and when I logged back in, my warranty has been extended until ‘22. Hope everything works out for you!

jestrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 12:55 PM   #9
Lucas2020
"TRF" Member

Thanks Jestrada.

I tried to register the watch but it says invalid warranty details. Weird - I called in previously and they mentioned that it was activated earlier and warranty has ended.

Sigh - hope for the best. Thanks so much!
Old 5 January 2020, 07:19 PM   #10
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
It’s strange because around 6 years ago ADs didn’t always stamp the warranty book on purchase, that’s why 1 particular well known U.K. dealer (that claims to find watches) used to say that a watch was maybe 3 years old but it was more like 6 years old in reality. That system got tightened up around 2017 and now when you buy a watch from an official source and log on to AP and look at the ‘my watches’ section all your watches are already listed there.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 07:46 PM   #11
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas2020 View Post
Thanks Jestrada.

I tried to register the watch but it says invalid warranty details. Weird - I called in previously and they mentioned that it was activated earlier and warranty has ended.

Sigh - hope for the best. Thanks so much!
I have watches in the 'my watches' section of AP's website that are no longer in warranty, so they don't get removed once they are out of warranty. Can you not add a watch, even though you tried and failed to register your watch for warranty?

As AshAP stated above, new purchases are now automatically added to the 'my watches' section of your AP account when purchased from an AD or Boutique, but you can still add your own watches from other sources, although it does seem to want to do so with a serial number and warranty number, so maybe it won't let you register an out of warranty watch. I can't test it I'm afraid.

Also, the warranty should start from when the watch was supplied to a customer from an AD, not from when it was supplied to the AD from AP.
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 03:26 AM   #12
kareemthedream33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Very odd. I've bought them brand new from Grey's and I still went online and registered them in my name and AP confirmed the extension of the warranty to five years.

I got mine from California and I took it to an AD in Toronto and they checked my serial number and honoured the warranty no questions asked.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
kareemthedream33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 03:23 PM   #13
grievor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas2020 View Post
I have purchased an AP 15400 last Christmas in the grey market. Really excited until this happened.

On the warranty booklet stats date of purchase was Feb 2018 stamped by Hour Glass, Authorised Dealer. However, when I send it over to Audemars Piguet, they said that the warranty has ran out in early 2019 and the warranty was activated in 2017.

Anyone knows how is this possible? I have checked in with Hour Glass themselves and they themselves mentioned that this is highly impossible.
Have you checked with the reseller you bought it from?

My 15400 was bought on the grey market as well but did not encounter such issue. Registered online and everything went through.
grievor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 10:21 PM   #14
Lucas2020
"TRF" Member

Hi all, manage to speak to Audemars Piguet Singapore and clarified the doubts. My watch was sold in USD, and the booklet states US. However, the stamp on the booklet was Feb 2018 by Hourglass in Singapore. Therefore, it's very likely that someone misused the Hourglass stamp.

According to AP, they said that the warranty was bought in 2016, and warranty extended until 2019. Sigh - hope it doesn't break down any time soon!

Thanks so much for all the responses and sharing given! God bless!
Old 8 January 2020, 10:54 PM   #15
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
If you think the Grey dealer or Hourglass have misrepresented the purchase date then I would ask them to pay for any work that is needed which should have been covered under the warranty they were presenting.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote