The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 September 2020, 05:12 AM   #1
DarkPool
"TRF" Member

RSC maintenance - worth it?

Hello fellow aficionados.

I'm the proud owner of an Explorer which I purchased from an AD and a 116660 Deep Sea I purchased a couple of weeks ago. Recently I tested the power reserve of the Explorer, which wasn't great at only 29 hours. Took it back to a RSC and the watchmaker gave it 50-60 winds, which yielded a less than impressive 32 hours this time.
I now winded it all the way to the clutch slip to see if I can get in in the low 40s, if not I will return it to have it tested. Since it's still under warranty there will be no costs involved. Different story with the 1166600. Since the availability of the Rolex tool watches is universally known, I decided to go for an 11-year old model in truly mint condition. Tested the power reserve and I got about 34 hours out of it. The thing is that after a full wind, I wear it for one day during 12 hours, the day after that, I wear it for say 8 hours and the morning after it usually will have stopped. Given the age, it just surpassed the recommended 10-year service window.

Since I don’t know the service history (the vintage dealer gives it a brief revision), I’m considering to go all out and have the full Rolex service which comes with a hefty price tag of course. The dealer I got it from also works with an independent watch maker at a lower cost and a quicker turnaround time.

What’s your experience with the RSC service? Worth it? The main reason for me would be to increase the power reserve and exclude any problem with the auto-winding mechanism.
DarkPool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 05:49 AM   #2
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

TLDR ... winding, power reserve, yadda yadda. If the watches are due for a service, have them serviced. There are plenty of independent watchmakers who will do as good a job as RSC or better, but I have no idea whether your watchmaker is in this category.
Old 22 September 2020, 05:54 AM   #3
DarkPool
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
TLDR ... winding, power reserve, yadda yadda. If the watches are due for a service, have them serviced. There are plenty of independent watchmakers who will do as good a job as RSC or better, but I have no idea whether your watchmaker is in this category.
Right, you must be the fun guy at parties. 🙄
Old 22 September 2020, 06:18 AM   #4
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
I wouldn't take it to an RSC unless I just wanted to get some Rolex documentation to go along with the watch. Sometimes nice to have. Plus you the risk the high possibility of having newer parts on your watch. (losing the original ones).
In less than an hour, A good watchmaker should be able to test it , open it up and check if it needs service.
With no service history, it is the wise thing to do. It might not even be water proof.
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 06:37 AM   #5
DarkPool
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaini3 View Post
I wouldn't take it to an RSC unless I just wanted to get some Rolex documentation to go along with the watch. Sometimes nice to have. Plus you the risk the high possibility of having newer parts on your watch. (losing the original ones).
In less than an hour, A good watchmaker should be able to test it , open it up and check if it needs service.
With no service history, it is the wise thing to do. It might not even be water proof.
Yes, one of my colleagues main reasons not to take his Datejust to a RSC was exactly the new parts thing, didn't want the originals being replaced in case value would plummet. Guess I will be taking it to an independent then.
Old 22 September 2020, 06:54 AM   #6
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Okay...these are both CURRENT watches...I'm assuming with luminova dials and hands...what exactly is it that they would replace that would cause the value to plummet?...that's right NOTHING.

If you have a 2017 Mercedes and the abs module fails...and you have Mercedes replace it and your car becomes collectable in 2037 do you actually think the ABS module is going to hurt the value? Shit wears out...it needs to be replaced...this hobby...no matter how wonderful it is, has created a pandemic of paranoia about things that DON'T matter.

SURE if you have a Red sub...with an original dial and hands you don't want them to replace them...got it! Makes sense. They won't service it anyway at this point.

They aren't likely to replace the dial and hands on a DEEP SEA and they would ask you anyway.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 07:05 AM   #7
DarkPool
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.W.T. View Post
Okay...these are both CURRENT watches...I'm assuming with luminova dials and hands...what exactly is it that they would replace that would cause the value to plummet?...that's right NOTHING.

If you have a 2017 Mercedes and the abs module fails...and you have Mercedes replace it and your car becomes collectable in 2037 do you actually think the ABS module is going to hurt the value? Shit wears out...it needs to be replaced...this hobby...no matter how wonderful it is, has created a pandemic of paranoia about things that DON'T matter.

SURE if you have a Red sub...with an original dial and hands you don't want them to replace them...got it! Makes sense. They won't service it anyway at this point.

They aren't likely to replace the dial and hands on a DEEP SEA and they would ask you anyway.
I wouldn't even mind. I'm not reselling my watches, I will keep them all and enjoy them.
Old 22 September 2020, 09:51 AM   #8
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPool View Post
I wouldn't even mind. I'm not reselling my watches, I will keep them all and enjoy them.
I’ve said the same about every vintage Rolex I’ve owned.

They’ve almost all been sold and replaced with OTHER vintage Rolexes!
Kingface66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 10:23 AM   #9
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
I'd have no issues having the watches serviced at an RSC, especially since it sounds as if they're modern-ish. (Although you don't mention the reference of your Explorer.)

With the RSC service you get Rolex paperwork which adds value. And any good watchmaker will be pricey anyway. It's not as if you'd be saving tons of money going to an independent.

The fear of an RSC replacing parts without letting owners know in advance is way overblown. Before the work is performed, they tell you what must be replaced and what they recommend replacing. You get to decide in advance what you want to do, and it's all on paperwork that you have to sign.

Good luck!
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 10:25 AM   #10
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
My personal preference:

I do not do RSC.

I do CW21 for repairs and that is that. (Even if I had a warranty issue I would try to pay a CW21 to do the work.) They take CARE with your watch and do not treat it as a $20 cheapo from Target or Wal-Mart.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 03:32 PM   #11
DarkPool
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
I’ve said the same about every vintage Rolex I’ve owned.

They’ve almost all been sold and replaced with OTHER vintage Rolexes!
Would like to see that list ;)
Old 22 September 2020, 03:41 PM   #12
DarkPool
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
I'd have no issues having the watches serviced at an RSC, especially since it sounds as if they're modern-ish. (Although you don't mention the reference of your Explorer.)

With the RSC service you get Rolex paperwork which adds value. And any good watchmaker will be pricey anyway. It's not as if you'd be saving tons of money going to an independent.

The fear of an RSC replacing parts without letting owners know in advance is way overblown. Before the work is performed, they tell you what must be replaced and what they recommend replacing. You get to decide in advance what you want to do, and it's all on paperwork that you have to sign.

Good luck!
It's the 214270, so still under warranty.
Old 22 September 2020, 03:45 PM   #13
DarkPool
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post

Good luck!
It's the 214270 so still under warranty. Again, I wouldn't mind them replacing parts since they are not highly sought after vintage collector's items with very specific dials or bezels.
Old 22 September 2020, 06:10 PM   #14
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Right, you must be the fun guy at parties. ��
You did ask for opinions, to be fair.

Like when my wife says "Does this suit me?" and I say "Well, not really...," and she gets p*ssed at me.

Personally I don't worry too much about reserve power time. As Dan says, just get your watches serviced as necessary.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 06:22 PM   #15
Bazza.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots of them
Just under 2 years a I had RSC (in house service) work on my DRSD and they did a great job .They asked what I wanted done to the watch I ask them not to touch the dial, hands and bezel and they did a great job even gave me a bag of the replaced parts and the Rolex service card

I also sent my LV of to RSC and wow came back fully sticker up and looking amazing

Zenith 1931 Pocket Watch, Laco Memmingen,Corum Jumping Hours LE 001/300 , Sinn EZM1 LE ,EZM2-GSG9 , U2 Black, EZM13 , UX-GSG9 ,556A, 104 , 144 60th Anniversary , Oris Diver 65 1st gen , CIGA X Series Titanium , Dwiss R2, Pequignet Royal Manual
Bazza. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 06:47 PM   #16
bmb15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 214270Explorer View Post
My personal preference:

I do not do RSC.

I do CW21 for repairs and that is that. (Even if I had a warranty issue I would try to pay a CW21 to do the work.) They take CARE with your watch and do not treat it as a $20 cheapo from Target or Wal-Mart.
I cannot confirm at all that RSC does not "CARE" and do treat it as you describe. This must be specific to your area.
bmb15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 07:09 PM   #17
bmb15
Banned

-> Bazza "Just under 2 years a I had RSC (in house service) work on my DRSD and they did a great job .They asked what I wanted done to the watch I ask them not to touch the dial, hands and bezel..."

Exactly, I confirm the same POSITIVE experience from Rolex.

For several vintage or classic watches I asked RSC what they should do during a service, e.g. only a revision of the caliber, and (more important) what they should NOT do, e.g. no works on and no exchanges of the dial, the crystal, the hands, the bezel insert, no case polish, no bracelet polish etc. If you request that before the service, there will (or should) be no surprises with any RSC, otherwise they should not a be a Rolex Service Center!

I see no harm, but even the need, that pieces of a caliber get changed after many years, or even earlier if required. The same is done with high-value cars and other objects.

If somebody is not happy with a RSC, you always have the option to report negative experience to the Rolex Head Quarter in Geneva, or send your watch directly there; obviously, living in Europe might be easier for sending or bringing it personally to the service center in Geneva, which is the perfect option.

To answer the OP's question RSC maintenance - worth it? my answer is YES.
Old 22 September 2020, 07:30 PM   #18
bmb15
Banned

Quote:

I'm the proud owner of an Explorer which I purchased from an AD and a 116660 Deep Sea I purchased a couple of weeks ago. Recently I tested the power reserve of the Explorer, which wasn't great at only 29 hours. Took it back to a RSC and the watchmaker gave it 50-60 winds, which yielded a less than impressive 32 hours this time.
I now winded it all the way to the clutch slip to see if I can get in in the low 40s, if not I will return it to have it tested. Since it's still under warranty there will be no costs involved. Different story with the 1166600. Since the availability of the Rolex tool watches is universally known, I decided to go for an 11-year old model in truly mint condition. Tested the power reserve and I got about 34 hours out of it. The thing is that after a full wind, I wear it for one day during 12 hours, the day after that, I wear it for say 8 hours and the morning after it usually will have stopped. Given the age, it just surpassed the recommended 10-year service window.

Since I don’t know the service history (the vintage dealer gives it a brief revision), I’m considering to go all out and have the full Rolex service which comes with a hefty price tag of course. The dealer I got it from also works with an independent watch maker at a lower cost and a quicker turnaround time.

What’s your experience with the RSC service? Worth it? The main reason for me would be to increase the power reserve and exclude any problem with the auto-winding mechanism.
If I understand correctly, your main issue is the power reserve, right?

That's only linked to the caliber. Get your watch(es) measured with a timegrapher and you will obtain the caliber deviations (s/d), the amplitudes (degrees) and the beat errors (ms) in all 6 watch positions. This will indicate an expert what needs to be done! If you don’t know anybody with a timegrapher, the "poor man" solution is a Timegrapher App. I use both. If you want to better understand how a timegrapher and caliber works, there are tutorials available, search for Witschi.

This one is excellent (if you understand German)
https://www.witschi.com/assets/files...0Grundkurs.pdf

I hope that helps you to take the right decision.
Old 22 September 2020, 09:13 PM   #19
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would and do go with RSC. Costs a little more but it is worth it to me.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 09:23 PM   #20
t3bkmzd
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3800, DDs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazza. View Post
Just under 2 years a I had RSC (in house service) work on my DRSD and they did a great job .They asked what I wanted done to the watch I ask them not to touch the dial, hands and bezel and they did a great job even gave me a bag of the replaced parts and the Rolex service card

I also sent my LV of to RSC and wow came back fully sticker up and looking amazing

Cool they let u keep the replaced parts. Don think the RSC in my country would allow that. real bummer
t3bkmzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 09:24 PM   #21
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
RSC only for me. Few hundred more doesn’t bother me every 15/ 20 years or so.
Old 22 September 2020, 09:58 PM   #22
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
OP,
If its still under warranty, then yes ofcourse..... why void the warranty by taking it somewhere else? You posted in the Vintage section, thought you meant the older explorers. Nothing to worry about then regarding replacing parts and losing value. Let Rolex handle it then. ;)
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 10:58 PM   #23
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably send it to RSC, but with the knowledge that RSC can be a pain to deal with if the repair isn't completed successfully -- meaning when you send it in again, you might have to wait just as long (2-3 months), etc. With RSC, at least the NYC one, you're dealing with more of a corporation than a human being.

I've had this happen on several occasions. Ironically the first time was with a 116660 DeepSea, when RSC accidentally left a bit of debris on the rehaut ring around the dial that I could clearly see with my naked eye. I had to send it in again to get that removed, and it took 6-8 weeks. This most recent time was with a DD40 -- after receiving the watch for the third time and being unable to repair it, RSC told me they wanted to replace the movement (fine with me, of course!). So that's one advantage of RSC, as replacing the movement is something that wouldn't happen with your independent watchmaker, but by the time I get it back RSC will have had the watch from February-October 2020 (8-9 months total).
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 11:08 PM   #24
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaini3 View Post
What difference if there are newer internal replacement parts? If you have a ten year old car you probably have newer replacement parts.

I have no problem sending a watch to a better independent Rolex service operation, some have former Rolex employees. A RSC doesn't guarantee it will be done right, only a higher bill.
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 11:09 PM   #25
Watchflair

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Depends on the watch. Modern pieces I would let RSC handle - vintage pieces I'd go with a well known independent with impeccable references - there's a few that come to mind.
Old 22 September 2020, 11:17 PM   #26
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I do not think Rolex service comes with a hefty price tag. Take it to an independent and you get what you get. Sounds like your watch needs a service, but if its does not stop while wearing, keeps proper time and does not feel dry when setting or winding you can delay the service for a bit as the normal wear parts which are worn out are replaced in a full service whenever you get it.
Calatrava r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 11:17 PM   #27
Bazza.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3bkmzd View Post
Cool they let u keep the replaced parts. Don think the RSC in my country would allow that. real bummer
I had the LV done in Germany and didn't and I just got the watch no goodie bag
The DRSD was done in Prague they were super helpful and gave me the parts
My Red Sub was done just before I got got my hands on it at a 3rd party
Which also returned the parts replaced

Zenith 1931 Pocket Watch, Laco Memmingen,Corum Jumping Hours LE 001/300 , Sinn EZM1 LE ,EZM2-GSG9 , U2 Black, EZM13 , UX-GSG9 ,556A, 104 , 144 60th Anniversary , Oris Diver 65 1st gen , CIGA X Series Titanium , Dwiss R2, Pequignet Royal Manual
Bazza. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 11:20 PM   #28
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

First there is no clutch all that happens when mainspring is fully wound up it just slips in the spring-barrel. Second most dont fully wind correctly movements like the 31 series need 40 plus full crown turns clockwise only as they only wind on the forward wind. Third wearing a watch does not wind any watch its wrist movement that make the winding pendulum swing to wind the mainspring. And after full manual wind when off the wrist it should run anything between 39-48 hours give or take a hour or so.Myself would always recommend RSC or one of the independents that are fully authorised for service by Rolex and have a Rolex parts account.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 11:40 PM   #29
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
First there is no clutch all that happens when mainspring is fully wound up it just slips in the spring-barrel. Second most dont fully wind correctly movements like the 31 series need 40 plus full crown turns clockwise only as they only wind on the forward wind. Third wearing a watch does not wind any watch its wrist movement that make the winding pendulum swing to wind the mainspring. And after full manual wind when off the wrist it should run anything between 39-48 hours give or take a hour or so.Myself would always recommend RSC or one of the independents that are fully authorised for service by Rolex and have a Rolex parts account.
Valuable information.

Key is "full turns."
Old 23 September 2020, 01:18 AM   #30
DarkPool
"TRF" Member

I've read some of your previous comments and this was confirmed by the Rolex watchmaker so I wound them 60+ times to gauge the power reserve. Explorer came out at 32 hours which seems far too low, the Deep Sea gets a better reserve, around 35 hours, but seems to stop after a fill wind and some days on the wrist. Don't know if a full Rolex service would resolve this.