The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 January 2023, 07:51 AM   #1
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

Do we ever feel fulfilled or complete?

Seeing threads & videos about quitting on brands and frustrations on waiting for certain models, I feel I want to share my perspective as it gives me a sense of peace when it comes to these challenges.

We all recognize times is different for watch collecting comparing 10 or even 5 years ago. As I was able to get into this hobby early, I am fortunately enough to acquire pieces I truly love through ADs and boutiques without paying over retail. The wait is always there, sometimes weeks and sometimes years. With the increasing # of collectors in the hobby and not many increase in supply, many of us are unable to acquire pieces we want even as genuine collectors. I feel over time, I learn to understand - and accept - that there is no way I will always get what I want. The last piece I got from AP could be the very last AP I acquire, and that's OK. I learned to let go of the feeling that I should be entitled to own a certain watch. As I have to face the reality that for every watch there could be hundreds of even thousands people aiming to acquire it. I do value my relationship with the SA. We check in with each other regularly and she allowed me to try on pieces that I think eventually will be in Philips or Christies (think Royal Oak minute repeater, ceramic perpetual, gold tourbillion, etc.). I appreciate all of them and already feel satisfied being able to try on it instead of owning it. Guess what, I would never think I will be having that level of budget anyway.

With the mindset that every incoming piece could be my last, I feel better and in a way "complete" with whatever already in my collection. There is no one to impress other than myself as a collector. While I wish everyone can reach to a point where they no longer feel frustrated or painfully sharing with the world that "I am done", I feel there is a lot we can feel grateful for by being in a position that allows us to continue to pursuit the next piece - whether it's your first piece or not. Happy Friday everyone.
EdwardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 08:01 AM   #2
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Nice write up Edward. I agree with what you are saying. I don't feel entitled to own any piece from any brand. This hobby is a journey and enjoying the process has been half the fun for me. Like you, I feel blessed that I'm in a position to be able to pursue the pieces I want even if I can't obtain them. Have a great weekend!
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE / AP 26574st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26331.or/ AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 08:38 AM   #3
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Appreciate your comments and mostly agree. For me, the frustration hasn’t only been from not being able to get another AP for years. It has been the lack of interest and appreciation for the customer from the SAs. As I get older, I have less and less patience for playing these games where I have to prove my worth to someone and have them sit on the other side like they can’t be bothered. This was not my experience with AP 5+ years ago. In fact the opposite.
Old 21 January 2023, 09:04 AM   #4
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG1121 View Post
Appreciate your comments and mostly agree. For me, the frustration hasn’t only been from not being able to get another AP for years. It has been the lack of interest and appreciation for the customer from the SAs. As I get older, I have less and less patience for playing these games where I have to prove my worth to someone and have them sit on the other side like they can’t be bothered. This was not my experience with AP 5+ years ago. In fact the opposite.
It's definitely the opposite years ago. even for brands like PP and FPJ. I remember we used to get hand written thank you card by FPJ himself if you purchase a watch from the boutique less than 10 years ago. Now? Even a FPJ watch cloth can sell for hundreds. That's beyond me.

Although times is different, I (as the collector) am still the one who needs to spill the cash to acquire anything. So I wont beg or play games that I dont enjoy at all in order to acquire a watch. If it's free that may be different, but my hard cold cash, energy and effort should not be wasted.
EdwardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 10:14 AM   #5
serenerabbit
Banned

Watch: VTNR
You've said well what many need to hear and understand.

Sadly, some will never get it, the it being far more important than any watch. I see daily situations that make any entitled watch collector's gripes seem less than trivial, so much less they almost offend. But I don't take offence, because that in itself would be self indulgent. So I just continue to appreciate all I have and try to never lose sight of what really matters.

Thanks for the thread
serenerabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 02:21 PM   #6
7sins
"TRF" Member

For some, nothing will ever be enough and they have a false sense of entitlement that they are OWED an allocation because they spent more than their peers at the boutique. It never used to be like this. I look forward to a regression to the means, back to below MSRP and the hype dies down. Like you, I read many of these posts from other threads and I think it is partially due to the unfortunate circumstance of having a terrible SA. For those of us lucky to have an understanding and welcoming SA, it makes the world of a difference.

Now, I do often contemplate, how many variations of a Royal Oak do I or anyone really need? Would I be better suited with different iconic designs and have more variations amongst brands opposed to an AP design octagonal bezel which is just a small derivative of all other Royal Oaks. So, that instills the question, can a collection ever feel complete or at the very least, gratifying?
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 06:06 PM   #7
dauster
"TRF" Member

I think we don’t need to get overly philosophical on this - I think it’s simple. If I spend my hard earned money on unnecessary trinkets I want to enjoy the experience- same goes for fancy clothes and if that’s not given eventually I’ll move on to other things. In general a lot of “luxury” boutiques not just watch or even AP boutiques haven been seriously lacking good customer service plain and simple.

But yes there are lot of successful people that have a strong sense of entitlement also but I feel luxury SA should be trained on this and that’s part of the job to work with sometimes difficult people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 06:30 PM   #8
AperolSpritz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
I think we don’t need to get overly philosophical on this - I think it’s simple. If I spend my hard earned money on unnecessary trinkets I want to enjoy the experience- same goes for fancy clothes and if that’s not given eventually I’ll move on to other things. In general a lot of “luxury” boutiques not just watch or even AP boutiques haven been seriously lacking good customer service plain and simple.

But yes there are lot of successful people that have a strong sense of entitlement also but I feel luxury SA should be trained on this and that’s part of the job to work with sometimes difficult people.

Amen
AperolSpritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 07:10 PM   #9
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
For some, nothing will ever be enough and they have a false sense of entitlement that they are OWED an allocation because they spent more than their peers at the boutique. It never used to be like this. I look forward to a regression to the means, back to below MSRP and the hype dies down. Like you, I read many of these posts from other threads and I think it is partially due to the unfortunate circumstance of having a terrible SA. For those of us lucky to have an understanding and welcoming SA, it makes the world of a difference.
Couldn't agree more with this. I can't remember which thread it was now but I remember reading about people bringing their lawyers to demand watches or suing the AD for a display piece they wouldn't sell them Doesn't really get much more entitled than that.
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 11:01 PM   #10
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Even though I have never received any AP from the Boutique, I feel zen about it and will continue to love the brand and the Royal Oak. There is no bitterness at all I'm happy to see incoming posts of other happy AP enthusiasts getting their allocation. Yes I hope to receive one but I understand the game and have no complaints.

Please continue posting pics and keep the fire burning
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 11:06 PM   #11
DonLee
"TRF" Member

I guess, true collectors and watch lovers will never be done.

However, I think financial standing does affect opinion. I've gotten a lot of watches in the last 2 years and picking up a Nautilus later this month. And I kind of feel, I might not be "done" but if I were to not buy another watch ever, I'd be ok with that.

However, if I suddenly make like 2x as much money as last year, who knows...
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2023, 11:46 PM   #12
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

I feel it’s a bit of a dance between a collector knowing what they want and how well a brand is able to keep manufacturing desire with innovation / next generation products / or enough tweaks to make something fresh again.

For example with Rolex, I was mentally done with the brand for years until the SS Ceramic Daytona came out. There was simply nothing else in the line I cared for that I didn’t already have. on the extreme end of the spectrum, it’s very unlikely for something to top the platinum Daytona, so it’s easy to stay content (or bored!) with the Rolex line after dabbling in the professional line of the catalogue.

I feel like I’m super close to fulfilled with PP and AP. Maybe it’s old age and not liking a lot of change.

There are many watches in the box, but I reach but basically the same 3-5, and not much is unseating the top watches now. Thankfully for the wallet!

Finally as I mentioned in another post, while I appreciate the 15510/26240 line, I have many small atheistic, entitled collector qualms with nuances of the design where I don’t yearn for them that much, other than for a dial color change of green. But of course if they said you can make a piece unique, I wouldn’t say no!
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 04:34 AM   #13
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Now, I do often contemplate, how many variations of a Royal Oak do I or anyone really need?
I’d say a steel RO and ROC, a PM Jumbo (to avoid the default steel/blue combo), something ceramic, an openworked and a QP, maybe in Ti for some variety would do. Maybe add something vintage, and perhaps another RO with a different dial on a strap…

Oh, wait, that was a rhetorical question??

AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 05:45 AM   #14
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
I’d say a steel RO and ROC, a PM Jumbo (to avoid the default steel/blue combo), something ceramic, an openworked and a QP, maybe in Ti for some variety would do. Maybe add something vintage, and perhaps another RO with a different dial on a strap…

Oh, wait, that was a rhetorical question??

Haha interesting view I agree with but I think you could consolidate, IE a ceramic openwork QP in one via the 26585CE. Then a 15202bc for wg/slamon for a PM jumbo and a blue ROC either 26240 or 26315. That covers the majority of your materials, dials and case shapes with most complications ex tourb. Possibility of including a ROO and or a RG AP for a colored metal to really cover all your bases ex code. So 4-5 AP's max?
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
Old 22 January 2023, 07:17 AM   #15
AperolSpritz
"TRF" Member

I've been in this hobby for 15 years.
I am one of these guys who would think about the next one just a few days after the last buy...
But something that I never thought would happen, happened after my last incoming...
I feel, maybe not totally complete, but satisfied.
The last incoming was an AP 15416CE... and it's just totally amazing. I rotate it with a PP 5980 rose gold and that's about it. I have another dozen watches in the collection, 5 other APs, PPs, VCs, Moser... but they don't get any wrist time...
And I don't follow the new models launch as much as I used to, neither spend endless hours on websites thinking about the next one...
Strange...
Maybe I have found my 2 watches...
AperolSpritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 07:56 AM   #16
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Some will. Most won’t.

It’s all about perspective. These are just toys
Old 22 January 2023, 11:04 AM   #17
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

I custom ordered an Armin Strom with a comblemine baseplate and special engraving they put in the serial number. not a perfect watch but I am really really happy with it. usually when I get something new I still rotate other watches but this has been it for weeks. I still look at what's for sale every day and am interested in picking something else up. I used to get hyped up about some LE or hard to get watch but there are SO MANY different watches that I like and would be happy to have. from realizing there's always going to be "something else to get" it makes me care less about getting the next hottest thing.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 11:18 AM   #18
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Haha interesting view I agree with but I think you could consolidate, IE a ceramic openwork QP in one via the 26585CE. Then a 15202bc for wg/slamon for a PM jumbo and a blue ROC either 26240 or 26315. That covers the majority of your materials, dials and case shapes with most complications ex tourb. Possibility of including a ROO and or a RG AP for a colored metal to really cover all your bases ex code. So 4-5 AP's max?
This is the way Doesn't save any cash though
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
Old 22 January 2023, 12:31 PM   #19
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is the way Doesn't save any cash though
Maybe we can start a gofundme for us
Old 22 January 2023, 05:43 PM   #20
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
...but there are SO MANY different watches that I like and would be happy to have.
On this note, as someone relatively new to watch collecting... how do you guys decide what to buy? There are so many amazing watches from so many amazing brands that I would love but I can't afford to buy everything

I tell myself often that even if I can never get another watch I'm super lucky and already have more than enough, but then a few days later I'm reading forums and browsing for sale ads again
Old 22 January 2023, 07:32 PM   #21
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtButt View Post
On this note, as someone relatively new to watch collecting... how do you guys decide what to buy? There are so many amazing watches from so many amazing brands that I would love but I can't afford to buy everything

I tell myself often that even if I can never get another watch I'm super lucky and already have more than enough, but then a few days later I'm reading forums and browsing for sale ads again
Very easy, sad but true…they let you know not the other way around!

If going gray, then I try and imagine if I can wear the watch 1 month straight without getting bored
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 09:28 PM   #22
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Does anyone who commented in this post not already own 10 watches? It's easy to sit on the sidelines and observe people new to this hobby beat their brains out trying to figure out how to get a watch at retail if you were doing this in 2012 and ADs would call you up with the latest thing they had for sale. But wrist watches are an envy driven market so I guess the answer to your question is "no". Unlimited greed is the human condition.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2023, 02:59 AM   #23
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtButt View Post
Well, Rolex, PP and VC don't want to sell me anything I like. AP, OTOH, will happily take care of the totality of my watch budget. So there we go.
Old 23 January 2023, 04:06 AM   #24
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Very easy, sad but true…they let you know not the other way around!

If going gray, then I try and imagine if I can wear the watch 1 month straight without getting bored
haha that's true, when I add up the total value of the watches I've asked for it's a bit disgusting... just hope they don't all show up at once. I do need to learn to be more picky about what I would actually wear though.

Quote:
Well, Rolex, PP and VC don't want to sell me anything I like. AP, OTOH, will happily take care of the totality of my watch budget. So there we go.
It's interesting (or sad really) how different the experience can be for people in different regions/boutiques/SAs. I got my first Patek last year in 2 weeks but I'm still trying to get into AP and VC. I was just called in to the AP boutique on Friday to chat about 2023 and my SA said he would try to make something happen this year so fingers crossed!