The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 19 December 2022, 11:36 AM   #1
startrolexendrolex
"TRF" Member

Closing my AP chapter

I have a few APs 2 offshore 4 Royal Oaks and 1 code. I was on the hunt for more but with the crazyness of the past 24 month I haven't gotten a call or been offered a single piece. To be honest I was a bit upset at first I been a AP customer for more then 15 years and only worked with boutiques. I felt like they cast me aside at first. However after the first painful 10 to 12 month the urge to buy has reduced and now 24 month in I feel like my urge is gone completely for AP. I been buying GS, omega and some Rolex. My SA from AP called and texted me the other day and wanted to chat, I didn't feel tempted to make a purchase or even talk about what's on my "wish list" I'm officially out of the AP gang. I'm wondering if there is anyone out there that has the same experiences the past 24 month or so.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
startrolexendrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2022, 12:47 PM   #2
Armis
"TRF" Member

I’m surprised by that treatment from the boutique given your collection and longstanding history buying from the boutique. But it’s sincerely saddening to read the effect of this treatment on you, although totally understandable. To see that a clear passion for a brand has been “killed” is significant, and I’m sorry that has happened. Admittedly, the range of changes in this passion/hobby going back to around 2018 has definitely progressively dampened many people’s (including me) feelings towards the hobby. In large part it is precisely because of the attitude changes and actions of many ADs that client sentiments have been understandably changing, which is hurtful overall.
But coming back to AP and your specific treatment as an established loyal client is particularly hurtful as much as it’s unexpected given the effort I think AP has been recently making based on accounts from new customers this past year. Perhaps the issue was related to the particular pieces you wanted being very scarce, or maybe it’s a given SA or that boutique. Still, the recent call may have been the start of a turnaround? Regardless, at the very least I hope that you have shared your impressions with that boutique’s manager.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2022, 01:18 PM   #3
westoque
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Apple Watch
Sorry to hear that. I’ve been waiting for 2+ years for a piece that I want as well and thought I was waiting for a long time already.

I have been offered multiple pieces in between (I do appreciate that from my SA) and hoping it was the same case for you since you have a better relationship than me having owned more APs. I was told I will not be getting a 50th which is fine and next year would be “it” so it’s expected.

I would however not throw in the towel just yet. I suggest reaching out again to AP with your concerns and maybe it will bring some luck. I remember someone here also had the same issue and also with a long history, they brought up the issue and was given an AP gold green dial chrono in good time.

AP is an amazing brand with a storied past and I think everyone should have at least one in their collection. Don’t let that one bad experience turn you off the brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
westoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2022, 01:42 PM   #4
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
I think it is the state of affairs for the most in-demand companies like AP, Rolex, Patek, FP Journe, and Richard Mille. They’re trying to find a balance between rewarding loyal customers but not completely shutting off potential new customers. In one way, I’m alright with no calls from any AD for almost two years. It has led me to appreciate the watches that I have in my collection and with the slight possibility of getting a call, I’ve been able to avoid impulse purchases. But yes it has taken a lot of the fun out of the hobby. I used to love going into stores and looking at watches. Now there aren’t many even there.

srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2022, 04:48 PM   #5
djnick
"TRF" Member

I got bored of my 15500 after a year and haven’t looked at AP since even though they keep offering me more pieces. There’s just too many other interesting watches out there than the same royal oak and Rolex that everyone is wearing
djnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2022, 05:20 PM   #6
messikens
"TRF" Member

I think you have a valid reason to have a pretty frank discussion with your boutique MANAGER, not just your SA.

Given you have a stately collection and been a long-time customer, it may be worth your while to do so. If you get nothing, it's status quo. Albeit I'd be willing to bet with the current market, you have a pretty good chance to pick up something special in 2023 if you have a chat with them
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2022, 05:39 PM   #7
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by startrolexendrolex View Post
I have a few APs 2 offshore 4 Royal Oaks and 1 code. I was on the hunt for more but with the crazyness of the past 24 month I haven't gotten a call or been offered a single piece. To be honest I was a bit upset at first I been a AP customer for more then 15 years and only worked with boutiques. I felt like they cast me aside at first. However after the first painful 10 to 12 month the urge to buy has reduced and now 24 month in I feel like my urge is gone completely for AP. I been buying GS, omega and some Rolex. My SA from AP called and texted me the other day and wanted to chat, I didn't feel tempted to make a purchase or even talk about what's on my "wish list" I'm officially out of the AP gang. I'm wondering if there is anyone out there that has the same experiences the past 24 month or so.

Good for you but the fact you made this post suggest that you might not be “over it” if that’s the case I’d take the call since they recently reached out but if you truly don’t want any AP watches going forward it makes sense.

dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2022, 06:32 PM   #8
JettyOne
"TRF" Member

Hopefully, a chat w boutique director will remedy this. 2023 will be a year for collectors. It has been a strange few years. I’m very much turned off by all these noises.

I’m taking a step back and enjoying my modest collection of useless wrist-things I’ve been hoarding for 20+ years.

I applause this. Make some room, I’ll sit on that time-out bench with you.

JettyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2022, 10:12 PM   #9
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Don't worry you aren't alone with this feeling. My disappointment stems from my SA leaving and now the new SA would not consider any further request unless a CODE is purchased as per our WhatsApp chats. The term they used is that "demand is high and we would like our customers to "strengthen" the relationship with either a CODE or a ROO". I told them that if AP releases a ROO with the strap system like the Aquanaut or Oysterflex I would definitely get one but the current ones are not for me. CODE is out of the questions as I prefer Patek dress watches.

So yeah. I have reached a dead end with AP at this point and will just work with my AD to buy other brands.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2022, 10:20 PM   #10
watchgeezer
"TRF" Member

yep. similar experiences here. been a client for over 10 years, and i could really feel that things have changed (not in a good way) over the last 3-4 years...
watchgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2022, 10:45 PM   #11
FrmrHoss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
Don't worry you aren't alone with this feeling. My disappointment stems from my SA leaving and now the new SA would not consider any further request unless a CODE is purchased as per our WhatsApp chats. The term they used is that "demand is high and we would like our customers to "strengthen" the relationship with either a CODE or a ROO". I told them that if AP releases a ROO with the strap system like the Aquanaut or Oysterflex I would definitely get one but the current ones are not for me. CODE is out of the questions as I prefer Patek dress watches.

So yeah. I have reached a dead end with AP at this point and will just work with my AD to buy other brands.
Yeah, I largely feel the same way too. Have been a customer since 2015, and even have a Code in the collection but have been given the "probably should consider X/Y/Z pieces to really show your commitment" spiel. Part of the problem for me, is that I used to have a local AD that I had a good relationship with, and then that was closed so had to move to a remote SA and that was basically like starting at square 1. I haven't been terribly pleased with my existing SA either, so have explored some other remote relationships but have basically been told that (a) that doesn't make me look like a serious collector by "jumping around" and (b) if I wanted to do that, I'd have basically start back at square 1 again. At this point, pretty over the whole experience and there is plenty of other interesting stuff out there.
FrmrHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2022, 10:51 PM   #12
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
My chapter was closed 2 years back when I was caught cheating
Old 19 December 2022, 11:11 PM   #13
Palex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
My chapter was closed 2 years back when I was caught cheating
Cheating as in selling your watch?
Palex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2022, 11:46 PM   #14
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Will always love the brand and appreciate the design and finishing of a RO. But I agree and have said it before that AP does not care for a client like me any more who would only buy a watch every couple of years and does not want to buy something I dont want. Half my conservations with my SA nowadays are about which celebrity stopped into the store and how much money other clients are spending. It is such a turn off that I rarely even stop by or want to engage in any discussion.
Old 20 December 2022, 12:16 AM   #15
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG1121 View Post
Will always love the brand and appreciate the design and finishing of a RO. But I agree and have said it before that AP does not care for a client like me any more who would only buy a watch every couple of years and does not want to buy something I dont want. Half my conservations with my SA nowadays are about which celebrity stopped into the store and how much money other clients are spending. It is such a turn off that I rarely even stop by or want to engage in any discussion.
LOL - true that. My SA is still pretty awesome and I did get my dream watch as my first watch from AP, so I will be eternally grateful and will always go back to purchase from them when I have the chance and I find something I like (and they are willing to sell it to me).

I did witness a convo in the boutique where another SA was on the phone discussing why a watch for more than $100,000 can't be put on a single CC...
Shows how small of a fish I am in the grand scheme of things
Old 20 December 2022, 12:39 AM   #16
FrmrHoss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
For sure. I can't shake my love of the history of the brand and their watches (not JUST the RO eihter), but the relationship with the sales part of it now is what has kind of tainted it for me.
FrmrHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2022, 01:46 AM   #17
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:

That is bizarre, it’s actually totally unprofessional
for the SA to divulge the spend of other people.

Regarding the number of watches that you’ve bought in your opinion making you an unattractive proposition for future watches, I disagree because that’s the frequency that I buy at and I have zero complaints with my relationship and the watches that I’m offered.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2022, 02:30 AM   #18
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
That is bizarre, it’s actually totally unprofessional
for the SA to divulge the spend of other people.

Regarding the number of watches that you’ve bought in your opinion making you an unattractive proposition for future watches, I disagree because that’s the frequency that I buy at and I have zero complaints with my relationship and the watches that I’m offered.

@AshAP, I genuinely think the sales strategy in Europe broadly (London House specifically) has evolved distinctly different than North America. US feels like it's own beast at this point, for better or worse depending on what the buyer cares about. There was an interesting post in the Patek subsection about feeling the watch hobby has entered into a 'subscription model' type mindset, and I think the posts from disenchanted US buyers would reflect that's the indirect sales model the North America execs are pursuing.

To OP, I entire sympathize and mostly agree with where you are coming from. I think regardless of how nice the product is (AP or non watch even), lots of higher spenders are breaking up with luxury brands right now because the brand botched the luxury part of the engagement. And while one product might be distinct from another, at a deeper level the emotional payoff of 'luxury' can always be found elsewhere in a different category all together.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2022, 11:52 AM   #19
jayprezzi
"TRF" Member

I never fully understood what VIP clients meant.
jayprezzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2022, 12:05 PM   #20
startrolexendrolex
"TRF" Member

Great discussion and appreciated everyone chiming in. I thought about reaching out to manager or higher ups but AP watches are a luxury I shouldn't go and beg them to take my money. I work hard for my money and I want to have a good experience while parting with it.

Old 20 December 2022, 12:41 PM   #21
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:
Great discussion and appreciated everyone chiming in. I thought about reaching out to manager or higher ups but AP watches are a luxury I shouldn't go and beg them to take my money. I work hard for my money and I want to have a good experience while parting with it.

I hear ya and totally agree, but they need to be reminded of who their long term clients are sometimes. Not anyone's fault, but just the craziness the last 2 years could have thrown this particular SA or BT for a loop. I would at least have a convo with thr BT Manager, even if it's the last one.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2022, 01:36 PM   #22
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
I hear ya and totally agree, but they need to be reminded of who their long term clients are sometimes. Not anyone's fault, but just the craziness the last 2 years could have thrown this particular SA or BT for a loop. I would at least have a convo with thr BT Manager, even if it's the last one.
I agree, feels like unfinished business to part without hearing whether someone higher up in the food chain has an opinion. Of course, for all we know OPs current drought might originate from the BT manager. Would also be good to know what OP specifically is hunting for.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2022, 02:49 PM   #23
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayprezzi View Post
I never fully understood what VIP clients meant.
You know the saying...if you have to ask... You know you are one if you are getting factory tours, special event invites, and epic swag. Note, I'm not saying these are the perks even though they are perks. I'm saying this is how you know if you made the cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
Not everyone has FHB or Bogliolo's cell phone on speed dial or has advent calendar gifts with vouchers to redeem next hot watch as holiday present!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
I agree, feels like unfinished business to part without hearing whether someone higher up in the food chain has an opinion. Of course, for all we know OPs current drought might originate from the BT manager. Would also be good to know what OP specifically is hunting for.
The man's handle is 'endrolex', let him end the journey with Rolex in peace!
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2022, 03:19 PM   #24
Harry_S
"TRF" Member

Quote:

To be honest I feel the exact same with AP at the moment. My SA left and the Boutique manager was not great. I have since moved Boutiques now and my current SA is fantastic but have been told I am essentially starting from zero square one. Which is okay I understand, but I will only buy now what I like and not just something to appease or show that i’m a true enthusiast. I think if you stick to what yoo really like and with a bit of luck and the right SA you’re love of AP will come back. Best of luck
Harry_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2022, 03:42 PM   #25
startrolexendrolex
"TRF" Member

I would like to respond to people asking me what's on my list, I gave my SA a list of interest watches, they call it "wish list" the new 43 offshore in Grey or blue. Royal oak with some complication such as chrono, perpetual or a tourbillon. Would like to complete my 3 hander royal oak with a white dial and blue dial. Would like a full gold royal oak in any configuration.

Old 20 December 2022, 03:48 PM   #26
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I would like to respond to people asking me what's on my list, I gave my SA a list of interest watches, they call it "wish list" the new 43 offshore in Grey or blue. Royal oak with some complication such as chrono, perpetual or a tourbillon. Would like to complete my 3 hander royal oak with a white dial and blue dial. Would like a full gold royal oak in any configuration.
QP and tourbillon are ambitious, but AP not coming through with some of the others in 2 years is a bit disappointing.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2022, 07:30 PM   #27
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
QP and tourbillon are ambitious, but AP not coming through with some of the others in 2 years is a bit disappointing.
I know you have some GREAT pieces in your collection but could you share what in your opinion a realistic collection is to be considered for a tourbillon or a QP?

OP already has 7 APs, how many more does he need to move up the ladder? It's not like he's going to buy the entire 11.59 collection to move up, is he? Asking for a friend :-)
Old 20 December 2022, 10:30 PM   #28
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_S View Post
To be honest I feel the exact same with AP at the moment. My SA left and the Boutique manager was not great. I have since moved Boutiques now and my current SA is fantastic but have been told I am essentially starting from zero square one. Which is okay I understand, but I will only buy now what I like and not just something to appease or show that i’m a true enthusiast. I think if you stick to what yoo really like and with a bit of luck and the right SA you’re love of AP will come back. Best of luck
Actually, why would you need to start from square one if you’re an established AP client? I thought AP has a centralized database where any boutique can look up your collection…and I remember reading occasional posts previously about how a boutique SA would change their interactions with a person once they looked up their record. This type of inconsistency of big brand boutiques is what can really be frustrating and saddening to read.
Old 20 December 2022, 10:34 PM   #29
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:

There are certainly a number of reasonable asks in your ‘wish list’, if not all. I defer to others who may know the ‘rules’ around QP or tourbillon pieces, but not being offered the others is difficult to understand, for me at least.
Old 20 December 2022, 11:48 PM   #30
GSDLover
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5205r-010
I have been experiencing what I consider rude and or disrespectful behavior from AP over the past year and a half.
In May of 2021 I was introduced to one of AP's associates who helps people who do not live near a boutique or store. I had purchased a 26331OR on a strap the year before, and was looking to add a watch on one of AP's bracelets.
His name was Jerome. I kept in contact with him via text about once a month and early on expressed my interest in a 15500st or even the or.
Forward to March 2023. I reach out just to keep in touch.
His reply "What are you looking for?".
Ugh. This time I send him pictures. And I have heard nothing.
So in September of this year, I call the AP repair center here locally in Clearwater.
I speak to a very polite woman and explain my history and experience over the past year. They know who I am because I brought in some AP rockets for them to see that I had made. She promised to call me back and let me know what she could do.
Three weeks later, no call.
So I call again. She is busy but the receptionist promised to let her know that I called and she would get back to me.
Nothing.
This is just plain rude behavior. If there is nothing available, or I am simply an undesirable, fine. But have the decency to follow through on your word.
Time to move on for me.
GSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote