The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 26 December 2022, 10:55 PM   #91
raclaims
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear these experiences

I’ve had a wonderful AP experience yet Patek where I’ve spent a lot of $$$ has left me in the cold dark abysss so it’s not just AP sadly
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2022, 11:19 PM   #92
Rickkk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raclaims View Post

I’ve had a wonderful AP experience yet Patek where I’ve spent a lot of $$$ has left me in the cold dark abysss so it’s not just AP sadly
I've had the exact opposite. Been treated really really well by Patek!
Rickkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2022, 01:17 AM   #93
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
The joy of ownership is defeated by the pain of denial in the "what's next?" world of accumulation.

This is Shakespearean…accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27 December 2022, 02:34 AM   #94
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I have never received a watch from the AP Boutique but I will continue to knock on their doors until I reach my retirement. Yuichiro Miura reached the summit of Everest at 80.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2022, 04:25 AM   #95
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
In regards to AP, the more I read the more I believe it is based on your SA relationship. AP has gone above and beyond for me on numerous occasions, I have had nothing but a wonderful experience over the years and appreciate the thoughtful gestures they send throughout the year.
You know those movies where they portray two different outcomes on one small outcome? I can only fathom my misstep was not hosing the tequlia tasting! Okay, but seriously, I think as Corporate has taken control of the more desirable pieces, I think it's really 70% AP itself and 30% boutique. Pretty sure I got shut down at the corporate level. Oh well. Hard to invite FHB for tequila on short notice!

Yeah, that watch you mentioned is exactly the one that has me going "hmm...interesting" on.

Quote:

Man, I bet the sales managers at AP and PP get together for draft picks to pick which customers are going to get selected for sadistic punishments! Hence the capritious line of those favoring one but usually not both!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
This is Shakespearean…accurate.
I don't know whose comment is more on points. cascavel's original sage wisdom or the shakespearean comment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I have never received a watch from the AP Boutique but I will continue to knock on their doors until I reach my retirement. Yuichiro Miura reached the summit of Everest at 80.
I have a good feeling 2023 will be your year! No need to wait until 80. Sherpas on all journeys do help literally and metaphorically though. I suppose the real question is if after getting your first you feel compelled to keep returning to Everest or relish the single trip.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2022, 06:11 AM   #96
ase_sbhwatch
"TRF" Member

This thread has taken a sour note. There are numerous postings from super excited folks who recently “got the call.” The unfortunate reality is that for every one of those, there’s 9 (or 99?) who are still waiting. This will always be the case (regardless of economic cycles) because AP can only manufacture 40-50K watches per year — as compared to Rolex’s 1M. For what it’s worth, and perhaps to offer some encouragement, I wanted to share my thoughts from an earlier post in another thread. AP refers to the relationship it builds with its clients as a ‘journey’ or ‘path.’ In my experience, Rolex & PP are far more transactional. The relationship aspect with AP goes both ways — and is a value-add above and beyond the timepiece itself. Unlike PP and Rolex, there’s a community that comes with AP. For my wife & I, this has lead to meaningful friendships and unique experiences along the way. But like every other community—social, professional, etc.—you get out of it what you put in. And like any such community, the first entrance is always the hardest. If you’re sincere, passionate, interested, and patient, in time your “call” will come. (And to put a 2-3 year wait into perspective, there’s a popular video on line showing even ‘Mr. Wonderful’ waited over 10 years for his 5711/1A.) Hang in there.
ase_sbhwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2022, 08:35 AM   #97
Crazywis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post

The last straw came when I read here someone totally new as a first time buyer being allocated a 50th anniversary jumbo.
May I ask where you read this? I hope it isn’t my post you have in mind here…
Crazywis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2022, 08:49 AM   #98
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ase_sbhwatch View Post
This thread has taken a sour note. There are numerous postings from super excited folks who recently “got the call.” The unfortunate reality is that for every one of those, there’s 9 (or 99?) who are still waiting. This will always be the case (regardless of economic cycles) because AP can only manufacture 40-50K watches per year — as compared to Rolex’s 1M. For what it’s worth, and perhaps to offer some encouragement, I wanted to share my thoughts from an earlier post in another thread. AP refers to the relationship it builds with its clients as a ‘journey’ or ‘path.’ In my experience, Rolex & PP are far more transactional. The relationship aspect with AP goes both ways — and is a value-add above and beyond the timepiece itself. Unlike PP and Rolex, there’s a community that comes with AP. For my wife & I, this has lead to meaningful friendships and unique experiences along the way. But like every other community—social, professional, etc.—you get out of it what you put in. And like any such community, the first entrance is always the hardest. If you’re sincere, passionate, interested, and patient, in time your “call” will come. (And to put a 2-3 year wait into perspective, there’s a popular video on line showing even ‘Mr. Wonderful’ waited over 10 years for his 5711/1A.) Hang in there.
I think for many people who commented here, the wait is not the problem. The issue is some boutiques are too opaque in the way the allocations are done.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2022, 09:32 AM   #99
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by startrolexendrolex View Post
I have a few APs 2 offshore 4 Royal Oaks and 1 code. I was on the hunt for more but with the crazyness of the past 24 month I haven't gotten a call or been offered a single piece. To be honest I was a bit upset at first I been a AP customer for more then 15 years and only worked with boutiques. I felt like they cast me aside at first. However after the first painful 10 to 12 month the urge to buy has reduced and now 24 month in I feel like my urge is gone completely for AP. I been buying GS, omega and some Rolex. My SA from AP called and texted me the other day and wanted to chat, I didn't feel tempted to make a purchase or even talk about what's on my "wish list" I'm officially out of the AP gang. I'm wondering if there is anyone out there that has the same experiences the past 24 month or so.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
they should rename the brand to the Royal Oak. that's all they got. the code 1159 is horrible. the CEO is out.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2022, 10:07 AM   #100
GSDLover
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5205r-010
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
I think for many people who commented here, the wait is not the problem. The issue is some boutiques are too opaque in the way the allocations are done.
Add disrespect.
GSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2022, 02:01 PM   #101
thetahoess
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDLover View Post
Add disrespect.
This.

B
thetahoess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2022, 03:08 PM   #102
Crazywis
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That has been my experience as well. Unfortunately, I feel denial is a part of the whole relationship with any brand these days. However, AP is the only brand who, in my experience, definitely counts and values secondary market purchases towards the “relationship” with the brand. I can vouch for AP in this regard and can definitely say that this is not the case with Patek.

I’ve not had experience with FPJ and RM in this regard but would be curious what others have to say.
Old 27 December 2022, 03:30 PM   #103
stanleyleecm
"TRF" Member

I hope my patient will pay off with BH Boutique. I was on the list for 26315ST for 1.5 years then it got discontinued back in May, then I requested to move me to the successor 26715ST and 15550ST for myself and 77350ST for my wife. 2 years and counting with 95% one way text communication, handful of in person Boutique visit during my vacation and business trip. Here I am still hoping that I may be next in line.

I still love the brand but losing hope at the same time. I am down to the last stretch on my AP "journey".

Edit: after reading the comment above, may be I should consider adding my Mom's vintage AP and my 26331ST (from secondary market) to my profile. :)
stanleyleecm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2022, 03:51 PM   #104
Screwly
"TRF" Member

Watch: “Pepsi”
I’ve had a good relationship so far with my boutique. I’ve gotten 2 watches (26238ti & 15510st) and 1 for my wife (77450st) after my initial 26315st purchase from a trusted seller. All these were purchased this year and my SA has been great, but to echo the previous poster, it seems my boutique offerings sped up after my initial second hand 26315st purchase.

Im working towards building my relationship and see this as a jog and not a sprint, and hoping they see that my ROO and ladies RO purchases as dedication towards the brand. I also put the starwheel on my wishlist and hope that to be my first Code. Hoping to have at least 1 offering from each of the AP models.

126613lb
326934 jubilee/blue dial
Screwly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2022, 10:23 PM   #105
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
So happy i found this thread to know that i’m not an outlier i thought i was. Obviously i’m not saying i’m happy some got a poor experience but seeing others who have been treated poorly after i’ve been treated poorly as well means it’s not with us but the issue is with the brand. I vowed never to buy an AP again and focus on other brands like FP Journe who treats me with transparency and respect. Life is too short and many brands to consider. I wish all the best for AP and their future and have no doubt they will continue to do well.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2022, 02:53 PM   #106
Crazywis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyleecm View Post

Edit: after reading the comment above, may be I should consider adding my Mom's vintage AP and my 26331ST (from secondary market) to my profile. :)
If you have a history of getting your Mom’s watch serviced from AP in the past, I suspect that will greatly help too.
Old 28 December 2022, 05:42 PM   #107
Pam673
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
What's the big deal? Rolex, PP all gave the middle finger to their old clientele in the last 5 years

Money talks and bullshit walks. Unfortunately, your collection was from years ago. If you going to drown those boutiques with money you will get any watch you want

Customer relationship is all transactional these days. It's shit but since everyone want those Nautilus, Aquanaut, RO, Daytona, GMT Master, Submariner...they have the power to piss on people...if people would just collectively tell them to piss off and not buy any more watches from them then problem solved
Pam673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2022, 11:13 AM   #108
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam673 View Post
What's the big deal? Rolex, PP all gave the middle finger to their old clientele in the last 5 years

Money talks and bullshit walks. Unfortunately, your collection was from years ago. If you going to drown those boutiques with money you will get any watch you want

Customer relationship is all transactional these days. It's shit but since everyone want those Nautilus, Aquanaut, RO, Daytona, GMT Master, Submariner...they have the power to piss on people...if people would just collectively tell them to piss off and not buy any more watches from them then problem solved
This blunt comment sums it up perfectly
Crown & Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2023, 07:29 AM   #109
SSA
"TRF" Member

Last edited by SSA; 1 January 2023 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: Removed post
SSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2023, 02:29 PM   #110
1time
"TRF" Member

I am newer in my watch collecting journey and found this thread. I think its been really insightful from a lot of perspectives. Thank you all for sharing this.
1time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2023, 06:46 PM   #111
SRG89
"TRF" Member

Reading this thread is an interesting snap shot of everyone's perceptions with the brand.
I was very fortunate to be allocated a 50th Jumbo this year which I'd been waiting on for 5 - 6 years. It was my grail watch and literally had tears in my eyes when my SA surprised me with it.
Prior to this I had purchased 5 AP's - 1 RO, 3 offshores and 1 Code. When purchasing these older models they were pretty much readily available save the RO purchase so I felt like I had shown more loyalty to the brand than the SA 'favouring' me as such.

My frustration with the brand is that I am aware of a collector who has been able to get a family member a 50th Jumbo allocated as his first watch; the same model as mine.
You may say what are you moaning for if you already have it but I really felt like I had to 'work' for mine if that makes sense. Always staying in contact with SA, explaining what the Jumbo meant to me on a personal level and purchasing other models to build my history etc.

To know that someone can ask for a Jumbo for a family member and be allocated it within the space of 3-4 months really did annoy me. I'm also aware of people being allocated multiple watches a year which again makes you question the allocation process.

I must say that I do love the brand and I have been treated really well. The boutique manager and my SA are delightful and I love chatting with them etc.
Going forwards with the 'journey' I must say that I don't think I can afford to move onwards with further models that I would love to own.

I would love a QP, a skeleton or ceramic ROC - I appreciate how hard these models are to get. With the current price increases I'm not sure how long I can have money sitting around not doing anything to hopefully one day to get the call again. How much will a QP be in 2-3 years time?

I think the brand are happy to cater for celebrities and ultra-rich who can buy a 150k watch and collect same day. The new star wheel is cool and I'd like one, but 50k is a lot of money, especially when chasing other Royal Oak models.

Maybe I should shut up and just be happy with what I have! Just thought I'd share my views.
SRG89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2023, 04:29 AM   #112
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG89 View Post
Reading this thread is an interesting snap shot of everyone's perceptions with the brand.
I was very fortunate to be allocated a 50th Jumbo this year which I'd been waiting on for 5 - 6 years. It was my grail watch and literally had tears in my eyes when my SA surprised me with it.
Prior to this I had purchased 5 AP's - 1 RO, 3 offshores and 1 Code. When purchasing these older models they were pretty much readily available save the RO purchase so I felt like I had shown more loyalty to the brand than the SA 'favouring' me as such.

My frustration with the brand is that I am aware of a collector who has been able to get a family member a 50th Jumbo allocated as his first watch; the same model as mine.
You may say what are you moaning for if you already have it but I really felt like I had to 'work' for mine if that makes sense. Always staying in contact with SA, explaining what the Jumbo meant to me on a personal level and purchasing other models to build my history etc.

To know that someone can ask for a Jumbo for a family member and be allocated it within the space of 3-4 months really did annoy me. I'm also aware of people being allocated multiple watches a year which again makes you question the allocation process.

I must say that I do love the brand and I have been treated really well. The boutique manager and my SA are delightful and I love chatting with them etc.
Going forwards with the 'journey' I must say that I don't think I can afford to move onwards with further models that I would love to own.

I would love a QP, a skeleton or ceramic ROC - I appreciate how hard these models are to get. With the current price increases I'm not sure how long I can have money sitting around not doing anything to hopefully one day to get the call again. How much will a QP be in 2-3 years time?

I think the brand are happy to cater for celebrities and ultra-rich who can buy a 150k watch and collect same day. The new star wheel is cool and I'd like one, but 50k is a lot of money, especially when chasing other Royal Oak models.

Maybe I should shut up and just be happy with what I have! Just thought I'd share my views.

I can really relate to this post. Sums up my feelings. Happy that I got allocated a few ROs over the years but unhappy with the unclear allocation system overall and seeing things like people getting a Jumbo or a green RO as first piece or the same people getting the QPs, ceramics and Openworked models over and over again while the rest of us are being told sorry not enough to go around.

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2023, 09:13 AM   #113
APhound
"TRF" Member

Closing my AP chapter

I can relate..
I had no luck getting a watch from a dealer/ boutique which probably made me want it more if I’m honest.
Right now I have a panda chrono that I paid 56k for probably five months ago.
As soon as I got it I had to send it into service and as soon as I got it back sent it right back in- was running super slow.
It’s now running like a minute fast a day and I’m frustrated because that adds up quickly. I don’t really want to have to send it back.
I was obsessed with everything they have been releasing all last year but I’m kind of over it now.
I asked a dealer what they would give me for my watch and they said 38k. That’s like a $18k loss (prob $1k for each time I’ve worn it).
I haven’t been searching for APs lately and am finding myself wearing my Rolexes and looking for more Rolexes (pm models). I really don’t know if I’ll buy another AP. I wasn’t treated nicely at the aspen or Dallas store and am just kinda over it.
I’m sure eventually things will change and if I can walk into a boutique, try a few onand buy one I’m sure I would. But that’s not today or probably this year. Will be spending my money on gold Rolexes in 23 most likely.

But damn they’re sexy

APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2023, 09:46 AM   #114
APWorldTour
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbees319 View Post
I can relate..
I had no luck getting a watch from a dealer/ boutique which probably made me want it more if I’m honest.
As soon as I got it I had to send it into service and as soon as I got it back sent it right back in- was running super slow.
It’s now running like a minute fast a day and I’m frustrated because that adds up quickly. I don’t really want to have to send it back.
I was obsessed with everything they have been releasing all last year but I’m kind of over it now.
I asked a dealer what they would give me for my watch and they said 38k. That’s like a $18k loss (prob $1k for each time I’ve worn it).
I haven’t been searching for APs lately and am finding myself wearing my Rolexes and looking for more Rolexes (pm models). I really don’t know if I’ll buy another AP. I wasn’t treated nicely at the aspen or Dallas store and am just kinda over it.
I’m sure eventually things will change and if I can walk into a boutique, try a few onand buy one I’m sure I would. But that’s not today or probably this year. Will be spending my money on gold Rolexes in 23 most likely.

Beautiful watch, I’d suggest giving it some more wrist time to bring down that cost per wear!
APWorldTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2023, 11:37 AM   #115
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I can relate..
But damn they’re sexy
That is frustrating. It’s particularly interesting that you bought this great piece grey for 56, but another grey is low balling you with 38. Not right.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2023, 11:42 AM   #116
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's complicated
Quote:
[...] Will be spending my money on gold Rolexes
Sounds like me. Bought a ceramic ROO from the boutique and it was in for service three times in 9 months of ownership, one month gone each time. Couldn't sell it fast enough. That was my (very) short experience with the brand. I'm sure I'm on the banned list of ppl never able to buy a watch from them again!!

As for PM rollie, highly recommend
Trailboss516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2023, 01:51 PM   #117
APhound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armis View Post
That is frustrating. It’s particularly interesting that you bought this great piece grey for 56, but another grey is low balling you with 38. Not right.

Well to be fair times are different. Most/ all watches are down right now. But only a couple months before I bought it was quite a bit more so I thought I was buying right lol.

Old 6 January 2023, 01:53 PM   #118
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I can relate..

But damn they’re sexy

My guess would be that most AP buyers have so many watches that they rarely wear the same watch back to back enough days to know there's a time keeping issue. In 15+ years of watch collecting, I've had zero time keeping issues with Rolex. (Other issues along the way like loctite got loose, seal got too loose or too tight, but time has been very good).

AP...oi vey. Half have gone into service for mechanical movement issues. Some at the same time! At this point I'd say the service center and insurance company are enjoying the watches on average more than me! And uh...out of warranty PQ...feels like paying for Ferrari maintenance! Ouch!!!! But i"m with you. Oh so pretty.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2023, 04:42 AM   #119
APhound
"TRF" Member

I recently traded in a bmw M8 and when I thought about how much it cost to drive it each time it was pretty silly. Had it less than five months and took a wild beating.

Old 9 January 2023, 04:04 AM   #120
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Icon7

Quote:
I recently traded in a bmw M8 and when I thought about how much it cost to drive it each time it was pretty silly. Had it less than five months and took a wild beating.

Get a new man maths calculator to soften the pain.

(Joke )
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote