The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 22 January 2023, 02:30 AM   #1
terrywoods
"TRF" Member

5167A-001 What’s the typical wait

Is it possible to even get one at retail and what’s a typical wait time for the watch?
terrywoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 02:49 AM   #2
ts3
"TRF" Member

There is no typical wait as each AD is different. It is probably fair to say that your chances at this point will be next to zero if you are a new customer. That said, you can always try your luck and visit some ADs and see what they say.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 07:43 AM   #3
terrywoods
"TRF" Member

If I’m a 1st time customer how to become a customer isn’t it chicken and egg
terrywoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 07:58 AM   #4
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrywoods View Post
If I’m a 1st time customer how to become a customer isn’t it chicken and egg
No, you can buy several hideous ladies models or complications and then if you buy enough pieces that nobody wants eventually you can be like me and be blessed with a 5167.

Before I had mine, life was in black and white but after receiving one I could finally see in color.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 08:34 AM   #5
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
No, you can buy several hideous ladies models or complications and then if you buy enough pieces that nobody wants eventually you can be like me and be blessed with a 5167.

Before I had mine, life was in black and white but after receiving one I could finally see in color.

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 10:34 AM   #6
unotaz
"TRF" Member

Thank you for that. I needed a good laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post

unotaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 10:34 AM   #7
watchvert
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrywoods View Post
Is it possible to even get one at retail and what’s a typical wait time for the watch?
It is possible to get it. Yes, you'd have to buy a grand complication or at least a complication piece or something classic to even have a chance to express interest. Without it, it is very unlikely.
Typical lead time with big ADs is 24-36 months, but can vary.
watchvert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 11:19 AM   #8
francoamerican
"TRF" Member

watchbox often has them come up for sale - none in stock at the moment though. They would sell for about 55K-60K usd right now. 5164 seem like a bit more for the money right now as those are about 65K-70K and a bit more interesting.

Dealers can make greater profits overall by choosing to sell them to customers that help turn over lower demand and/or higher margin products.
francoamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 11:40 AM   #9
Nico81
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchvert View Post
It is possible to get it. Yes, you'd have to buy a grand complication or at least a complication piece or something classic to even have a chance to express interest. Without it, it is very unlikely.
Typical lead time with big ADs is 24-36 months, but can vary.

Nonsense sorry

I got it as new customer by buying micro brand Le Rhone ($13,000)
Was package deal
Also got 59901a blue dial with $30k jewelry purchase recently

One thing for sure it will require some form of spend but not grand complication

Nico81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 12:15 PM   #10
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by unotaz View Post
Thank you for that. I needed a good laugh
Haha. When I bought mine I walked into the store, saw it in the case, didn’t buy it. Called my SA from another store and had her ship it to my local store and bought it from her. Very easy transaction.

I pulled it from the safe on Friday because I was going to sell it, but looking at the watch I don’t think I can sell it.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 12:27 PM   #11
Bmats
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico81 View Post
Nonsense sorry

I got it as new customer by buying micro brand Le Rhone ($13,000)
Was package deal
Also got 59901a blue dial with $30k jewelry purchase recently

One thing for sure it will require some form of spend but not grand complication

Out of curiosity, what year was that if you don’t mind sharing. For the first, not the more recent. Spending on other things makes more sense to me than another piece I don’t want, but I always hear you need to get at least one Patek first. At least in the current environment.

Last edited by Bmats; 22 January 2023 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: Added
Bmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 09:02 PM   #12
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
There is no typical wait as each AD is different. It is probably fair to say that your chances at this point will be next to zero if you are a new customer. That said, you can always try your luck and visit some ADs and see what they say.
When you say "next to zero" do you mean "greater than zero" or "less than zero"? I would have assumed the latter.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 09:31 PM   #13
ExplorerI
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I
I asked about them at a couple ad. No spend with either. One said forget about it the other said probably looking at 10+ years.
ExplorerI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2023, 09:49 PM   #14
DigitalNsane
"TRF" Member

You have to buy 2 or 3 PP before buy the Aquanaut ;)
DigitalNsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2023, 04:31 AM   #15
WatchingAustin
"TRF" Member

Watch: iwatch
IDK what people are saying. My first PP was a 5164. It was sitting in the case in 2017. Should be easy to get a 5164 if you have a time machine.
WatchingAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2023, 12:53 PM   #16
seadubs
"TRF" Member

My first PP was a 5167R in late 2020. Not impossible. No real meaningful spend at the AD. Since then, have been delivered a 5712G, 7010 1R, 5327G and a 57261A.
seadubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2023, 05:05 AM   #17
Preacher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex of course
Buy 100k jewellery and you'll probably get on the list for one?
Old 25 January 2023, 07:51 AM   #18
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by francoamerican View Post
w

Dealers can make greater profits overall by choosing to sell them to customers that help turn over lower demand and/or higher margin products.
You put that so eloquently.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2023, 08:20 AM   #19
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchingAustin View Post
IDK what people are saying. My first PP was a 5164. It was sitting in the case in 2017. Should be easy to get a 5164 if you have a time machine.
If I have access to a Time Machine, buying Patek will probably be the last thing on the to-do list.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2023, 08:48 AM   #20
DK7
"TRF" Member

1-3 years or forever
DK7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 05:51 AM   #21
Miexpeman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Sky Dweller,
I don’t think you’ll get two answers the same here. There are so many contributing factors and individual circumstances, not to mention luck. Personally I got my 5167a, in May last year. I had waited almost exactly 3yrs. I had no previous Patek purchase history, but I had bought 3 Rolex professional models over a 3yr period from the AD. It was after the 3rd purchase I was given the opportunity to go on “the list” for the Aquanaut. I was told them my wait would be 3yrs. The AD, gets one 5167 per year from Patek and that’s how he was able to tell me how long the wait would be. Continued to buy further Rolex professional watches, one per year in 2020, 2021 and then got the Patek call in May 22 whilst cutting my grass late on a Friday afternoon. Collected it the next day. So in my case I didn’t have to buy anything that I didn’t want, such as jewellery or less popular watches and didn’t have to buy any other Patek reference before getting the opportunity of the 5167. Just glad I got it before last years price rise and the next one due tomorrow, Feb 1st.
Miexpeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2023, 01:54 AM   #22
Munch520
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/Cermit/SM300
Bit of a necropost but a related discussion, I've been waiting for a 5167a or 5164a from my AD, which happily also happens to be my Rolex AD. Expecting a new Daytona soon and I'm told, possibly a 5164 soon after. Maybe later this year.

I am a good customer, buy 2-3 watches a year, but haven't been a Patek-specific customer, despite being offered a 5119G last year. I straight up told them I'm in jeans or golf attire most days and sports watches are all I wear. 5119 just wasn't for me and I hoped it would go to someone who could wear it frequently. Was told that this wouldn't hurt my chances per se, and they were glad I didn't gobble up everything in my quest for an Aquanaut lol.

We shall see, but bottom line is I'm sure it varies greatly.
Munch520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2023, 02:02 AM   #23
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch520 View Post
Bit of a necropost but a related discussion, I've been waiting for a 5167a or 5164a from my AD, which happily also happens to be my Rolex AD. Expecting a new Daytona soon and I'm told, possibly a 5164 soon after. Maybe later this year.

I am a good customer, buy 2-3 watches a year, but haven't been a Patek-specific customer, despite being offered a 5119G last year. I straight up told them I'm in jeans or golf attire most days and sports watches are all I wear. 5119 just wasn't for me and I hoped it would go to someone who could wear it frequently. Was told that this wouldn't hurt my chances per se, and they were glad I didn't gobble up everything in my quest for an Aquanaut lol.

We shall see, but bottom line is I'm sure it varies greatly.
It is too bad people have to buy watch styles they do not want from ADs to get what they do want. But the current market is what it is.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2023, 04:47 AM   #24
Munch520
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/Cermit/SM300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
It is too bad people have to buy watch styles they do not want from ADs to get what they do want. But the current market is what it is.
Completely agree, and that's the prevailing mentality. They were pretty shocked when I tried it on, liked it, but turned it down.

That, among other things though, I feel like shows them I'm in for the 'right' reasons. Also lucky to have a pretty great AD that doesn't play the games for the most part.
Munch520 is offline   Reply With Quote