The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 13 April 2008, 05:17 AM   #1
stevemulholland3
Banned

Watch: 1680 18k sub
Unbelievable

listen to this,I notified six different sellers that their watches where fake and gave them the reasons how I knew.one in particular replied that they where a respectable watch store and that I should mind my own business,and they also stated that if I contacted them again they where going to contact law enforcement and say I was harassing them.
well I couldn't leave it at that and I replied that if they where a jeweler at all then they should have known better than to sell some crap like that ,furthermore I said that now that they have left their auction run even after they where notified that their merchandise was fraudulent that I would post it as a fake in several forums-including ours.
So,to make a long story short,this p.o.s. has contacted ebay and told them that I have been harassing them.so ebay sends me a notification stating that right now I am not in any trouble,but if I continue to harass other members I may be suspended.
unbelievable,these people can sell this junk to unsuspecting buyers as authentic and if I dare to say anything-I might be suspended!
from now on I am not even going to let the sellers know that I know they are selling fakes,I will just report it.I was naive and thought that some of these sellers just did not know-well trust me,they know.
I just had to vent for a minute,I was pissed after I recieved the notice from ebay.
oh well cheers all
stevemulholland3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2008, 06:02 AM   #2
XELOR

Ebay has let the most outrageous Rolex listings (not just questionable) remain after I reported them.

At one time I'd mention the fakes here on TRF and sometimes I wouldn't get even one reply. I guess it isn't an interesting subject to many here on TRF.

I don't get too involved now- other then an occasional reply like this here on TRF.

Even with the less obvious fakes what's happening is that many people assume they have rec'd a 100% genuine Rolex on eBay.

I here it mentioned all the time "crack the back open" or "have an AD look at it".

One of the more reputable Rolex sellers on eBay sold me a counterfeit. I first had it sucessfully authenticated by a watchmaker with thirty years experience. Then I sent it to RUSA to be absolutely sure. Even RUSA had to double check before establishing the case and bracelet was not of Rolex manufacture.

That same seller I purchased the counterfeit from warns buyers to watch out for sellers that list fakes.
XELOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2008, 06:08 AM   #3
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
Ebay is a joke with all of the counterfeit listings. I report an item if i see one but i dont think messaging the seller is of much benefit, except on a rare occassion. Last week a seller with 3000+ feedback was selling a fake franck muller i messaged him and told him and with 2 hours he apologised and removed it. Best policy is just to message the buyer after the auction has finished.
There is no point getting into an argument with a seller of fake goods, the just want there "dirty" money and couldn't care less what you say.

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2008, 06:15 AM   #4
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Feebay are only really interested in the coin.

I note that many of the fakes listed and reported are allowed to run their course.
Old 13 April 2008, 07:03 AM   #5
2careless
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Hmm, has anyone in the forum got any official contacts with Rolex itself? It is their own trademark and copyrights that they should enforce themselves properly. Have they got any conduit themselves for interested parties to report fakes?

Also, my understanding is that Rolex has previously sued ebay about all these fakes and there was already settlement that ebay would change their business process to accomodate those remedies. I suppose, if anyone here is a ebay shareholder, one can ask this question "what changes have been made?" to their investor relationship people? or even ask questions in their AGM (do they have one?)
2careless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2008, 07:14 AM   #6
meloncap78
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV C
From what I have heard, jewelry police run rampant on eBay. Apparently they have been in the sauce and can't see straight. Counterfeits are highly illegal to begin with. This subject irritates me.
Cheers.
meloncap78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2008, 07:45 AM   #7
Terry Newton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT GMT II c
Quote:
Originally Posted by XELOR View Post
At one time I'd mention the fakes here on TRF and sometimes I wouldn't get even one reply. I guess it isn't an interesting subject to many here on TRF.
I look here regularly and report many watches. I hate thieves with a passion and make it my business to report them at all costs. Please think differently. The time you posted may have been a bad day or a busy day for many and they did not have time to respond. You have my assurance that I am interested.

Terry Newton

"Z" SS Date Submariner
"Z" TT GMT-Master IIc
Terry Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2008, 07:47 AM   #8
Scarface
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex , Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshwatchman View Post
Feebay are only really interested in the coin.

I note that many of the fakes listed and reported are allowed to run their course.
I agree they are actually becoming more and more corrupted over there
Omega Seamaster Professional Chronograph
Scarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2008, 10:23 AM   #9
GMTJOHNNY
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2007 DAY DATE 18KT
Cheers To The Rolex Cop!

Hats off to you Steve! I have said it before, I will never buy another Rolex online without having you check it out.
Ebay is full of fraud and it needs to be policed better.
GMTJOHNNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2008, 10:38 PM   #10
peticks
"TRF" Member

i think reporting them to ebay would be the only logical action. remember, they do this for a living. these people have conditioned themselves that selling these fake items are not illegal untl they get caught. sad to say, there are alot of these types all over. hats to you steve for policing and helping those of us who dont have a keen eye on spotting fakes... :)
peticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2008, 01:04 AM   #11
pol
"TRF" Member

Watch: YG Day-Date/SS Sub
Fine job Steve...its just unfortunate that the system over there is more concerned in protecting crooked sellers than the unknowing buyers.

pol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2008, 04:01 AM   #12
Smoak352
"TRF" Member

Wow, I am interested in buying a used rolex, how can I be safe?
Smoak352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2008, 04:39 AM   #13
Chappy

Watch: ND Sub 14060M cosc
thanks steve for being vigilant regarding ebay fakes ... I check out this section just to see the crap you have uncovered ..
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2008, 07:59 AM   #14
stevemulholland3
Banned

Watch: 1680 18k sub
Thanks for the support all.sometimes it gets frustrating-especially when it seems nothing is being done to stop the creeps out there feeding on the unsuspecting.
anyway,as for smok352,we will help you find one if you like.just post the watch you are thinking of bidding on here in this section,also in enough time that we can get a chance to look at it and give our opinions on the watch and seller.
we try to look out for our own here.also-welcome to the forum.
cheers all.
stevemulholland3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2008, 12:53 PM   #15
Terry Newton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT GMT II c
Steve:

I enjoy working with you to get the bad guys. Keep posting and we will continue to work together to outsmart the scumbags.

Terry Newton

"Z" SS Date Submariner
"Z" TT GMT-Master IIc
Terry Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2008, 01:59 PM   #16
GMTII Owner
"TRF" Member

Watch: S/S GMT Master IIc
Steve - Terry : I read your postings on the Watch out site almost every time I am on TRF. I can't spot the fakes but am interested in helping others not get ripped off. Here's how you all helped me.....

I was considering buy a Rolex from ebay for several months. After some time, I went to my local AD and started to learn more about the Rolex styles. He told me some of the stories about ebay. I figured some of them might be true but more than not most wouldn't be as I was thinking he wanted me to purchase my Rolex from him rather than ebay. After being on the forum as a guest and reading some of your postings, I was firmly convinced not to buy my watch on ebay.

Thanks for all your help!!!!!!!!!
GMTII Owner is offline   Reply With Quote