The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 June 2018, 04:08 AM   #1
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
AD discount am I expecting to much

So it comes to pass that dearly beloved now wants a Rolex of her own (as you've got two!), the way I work is to save, budget research and buy preowned but oh no, if isn't spanking brand new dearly beloved is not interested in the slightest ,

joking a side we've chatted and the 116000 seems to be the likeliest reference, I found a 2014 dated version that is only £400 cheaper so not a large saving to be made and weighing things up it will save a lot of shopping around and asking the forum "Is this right?" etc etc etc, but now I feel the need to squeeze the AD for the best possible deal, am I wasting my time with this train of thought or would I be able to get a bit of a discount?
Attached Images
File Type: png 116000.png (29.8 KB, 1363 views)
Smiths W10 1968
Tissot Seastar 2011
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 04:14 AM   #2
SkyKing31
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tridor Masterpiece
Officially, Rolex frowns on their AD's giving discounts .... Depending on the AD, you could perhaps get a small discount .. 10% isn't unheard of
SkyKing31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 04:16 AM   #3
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
It definitely doesnt hurt to ask and try... the 116000 is discounted at my AD
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 04:17 AM   #4
slide13
"TRF" Member

Since it's not a sports model I'd try for a discount for sure. Not sure you'll get it with the current state of things, but I'd ask for 20% and hope to settle for 15%....but 10% wouldn't be bad these days probably.

When I bought my Sub in April 2017 I asked for 20% off and was given 15% off in the end. That was just barely before the whole SS shortage thing though.
slide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 04:20 AM   #5
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyKing31 View Post
Officially, Rolex frowns on their AD's giving discounts .... Depending on the AD, you could perhaps get a small discount .. 10% isn't unheard of
Sorry I don't buy this. Once the AD pays Rolex for the watch shipment, it can do what it wishes with them. If an AD wants to give a 30% discount on a watch to one of their VIP high rollers, they most certainly can. Why would Rolex care? They received their $$
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 04:27 AM   #6
harvey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Sorry I don't buy this. Once the AD pays Rolex for the watch shipment, it can do what it wishes with them. If an AD wants to give a 30% discount on a watch to one of their VIP high rollers, they most certainly can. Why would Rolex care? They received their $$
My AD photocopies all Rolex sales receipts so the Rolex rep can check ad hoc if they are discounting.

As always this may vary AD to AD, county to county, country to country.
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 04:27 AM   #7
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
You can ask however in this environment there is no reason to discount
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 04:32 AM   #8
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey View Post
My AD photocopies all Rolex sales receipts so the Rolex rep can check ad hoc if they are discounting.

Agree. Things in the UK seem to be much more strict than here in USA.
Old 20 June 2018, 04:36 AM   #9
SkyKing31
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You don't have to buy it .... The truth is Rolex doesn't allow their AD's to give discounts .. Call any AD, and call Rolex and they will tell you .. AD's are not supposed to give discounts, and there are some AD's who have lost their Rolex accounts for discounting.

I agree that a AD should be allowed to discount once they pay Rolex for the inventory they have in their stores, but the sad reality is Rolex frowns on discounting. I know a AD who once told me the Rolex has had reps come into the store posing as customers .. She even told me about a time when Rolex posed as a customer over the phone.
Old 20 June 2018, 04:50 AM   #10
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You don't have to buy it .... The truth is Rolex doesn't allow their AD's to give discounts .. Call any AD, and call Rolex and they will tell you .. AD's are not supposed to give discounts, and there are some AD's who have lost their Rolex accounts for discounting.

I agree that a AD should be allowed to discount once they pay Rolex for the inventory they have in their stores, but the sad reality is Rolex frowns on discounting. I know a AD who once told me the Rolex has had reps come into the store posing as customers .. She even told me about a time when Rolex posed as a customer over the phone.
That may be true in theory but I know of a dozen purchases by friends recently who paid well under retail for non-sports, non-steel models. Are you sure an AD has lost their franchise for discounting and nothing else.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 04:51 AM   #11
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

I bought 177200 for SWMBO from an AD last year. Admittedly I’m not the world’s greatest haggler but I was left in no doubts that the level of discount I was going to get was between zero and none.
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 04:54 AM   #12
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
You are correct that Rolex can't do anything about it, but that dosent mean they have to like it.

Rolex frown on AD's giving discounts as its seen as devaluing the brand.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 05:04 AM   #13
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
I’ve gotten a discount on every Rolex/timepiece I have purchased from my ADs — except the 116500 — having said that — I have NEVER asked for one in all my purchases.
That is how a ‘discount’ works in my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 05:09 AM   #14
05carbondrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
I’ve gotten a discount on every Rolex/timepiece I have purchased from my ADs — except the 116500 — having said that — I have NEVER asked for one in all my purchases.

A discount works by the Buyer not asking? Good One!
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 05:11 AM   #15
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05carbondrz View Post
A discount works by the Buyer not asking? Good One!

I’ve made many a purchase to say the least. No need to ask. Nor is it expected.

The ‘good one’ to me is the expectation OF a discount.

Cheers.

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 05:13 AM   #16
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:

like a boss
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 08:57 AM   #17
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

That is 100% false. Believe what ever you want to believe but Rolex AD's are 100% allowed to discount. It's called MSRP for a reason. What they are not allowed to do is discuss it over the phone. Walk into an AD and ask to buy a SS Datejust and ask for a discount. If you don't get at least 10 off, find a new AD. On TT and PM models you would be a fool to pay MSRP. Of course the brand doesn't want to discount b/c of maintaining an exclusive high end luxury image and all that jazz but there is no law that says they can't.
jonnyz1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 09:02 AM   #18
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:

Same here Roger. I was introduced to my AD by a forum admin and thus when we discussed the first watch and all purchases since, the AD has always let me know what price he could sell it to me for - all discounted more than I probably would have had the nerve to ask for.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 09:07 AM   #19
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyz1245 View Post
That is 100% false. Believe what ever you want to believe but Rolex AD's are 100% allowed to discount. It's called MSRP for a reason. What they are not allowed to do is discuss it over the phone. Walk into an AD and ask to buy a SS Datejust and ask for a discount. If you don't get at least 10 off, find a new AD. On TT and PM models you would be a fool to pay MSRP. Of course the brand doesn't want to discount b/c of maintaining an exclusive high end luxury image and all that jazz but there is no law that says they can't.
If I can buy a PM Sub from a big TS here and receive 25% off MSRP, and the seller can still make his profit, what does that tell you? Of course AD's discount, especially harder to move pieces such as PM models. You are right, only the foolish pay MSRP+tax for full gold watches.
Old 20 June 2018, 09:16 AM   #20
SkyKing31
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
That may be true in theory but I know of a dozen purchases by friends recently who paid well under retail for non-sports, non-steel models. Are you sure an AD has lost their franchise for discounting and nothing else.
It is true in theory, but I too have gotten discounts from the AD .. I even got a discount in 2010 on a TT YM. As for the AD losing their Rolex account, I only heard this from my AD and the company he told me about was a large company with many stores who advertised on tv a lot (although they didn't advertise Rolex watches) I know there were many stores throughout Florida, but I don't know if the company had stores in other states.

I also was told about a local independent AD who lost his Rolex account for discounting, but I believe there were some other things going on as well and I can't say discounting was the only reason. Of course it's all hearsay anyway because I only got the information from my AD and not the AD's who actually lost their accounts.
Old 20 June 2018, 09:17 AM   #21
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
But Rolex AD's are not allowed to sell new watches to Grey Dealers.
Grey Dealers can only source their new Rolex watches from flippers.

Didn't you know that?

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 09:23 AM   #22
SkyKing31
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyz1245 View Post
It is not 100% false .. You 100% don't know what you are talking about .... Rolex does not allow their AD's to discount plain and simple

Does that stop AD's from discounting? NO because I am far from a fool and have never paid retail for a Rolex watch.

This is no different than Rolex not allowing their AD's to sell to grey market dealers. Does that stop the AD's? NO, but Rolex doesn't allow it .... Just like Rolex doesn't allow their AD's to discount their watches.
Old 20 June 2018, 09:27 AM   #23
ROLEXster
"TRF" Member

Watch: is on BS wait list
Bought my wife a DJ31 ... 2 months ago (178240) smooth, rhodium, jubilee.
Listed at $7200 cad ...
Bought for $6250 cad ... about 15% off
ROLEXster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 09:34 AM   #24
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Ooof. Apologies but that's so plain! I'd definitely show her some options sans brand new + AD experience. I don't understand this 'has to be new' thing so important to many women. It's a big one off purchase so why not go for the best possible model? Mint and retailed for much more several years ago? Trying to get a measly discount from an AD on something they've had lying around for 4 years. Ouch.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 09:46 AM   #25
Jacobson
"TRF" Member

Current climate, there are no discounts on SS @ UK ADs.

Discounts on PM have started to dwindle as well
Old 20 June 2018, 09:59 AM   #26
Uppersouth
"TRF" Member

Watch: SWISS
[QUOTE=RHIII;8691011]I’ve gotten a discount on every Rolex/timepiece I have purchased from my ADs — except the 116500 — having said that — I have NEVER asked for one in all my purchases.

I’ve had plenty customers that I’ve preemptively given a modest discount due to our trading history and mutual loyalty. I get it.
-ROBERT FROST
Uppersouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 10:11 AM   #27
faaaaaaaasterrrrr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Another One?
I would go with a trusted seller if a discount is what you’re after. I got my DJ for about $1,200 below retail, brand new in box, full kit with my name on the warranty card. Just food for thought.
faaaaaaaasterrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 11:53 AM   #28
ostatedchi
"TRF" Member

I was at the local AD the other day. Other than the stainless steel sports models they came right out and said:
5% discount on SS datejusts
9% on two tone
15% on PM models.

I'm nobody to them. So I'd think that there is a bit more to be had.
ostatedchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 12:01 PM   #29
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey View Post

Well, if this is true, does Rolex provide guidelines to ADs for which models can be sold at what discount? I am certain Rolex is aware that all precious metal and two tone models are discounted, as well as SS non-professional models. I would love to hear other's input from the US and around the globe on what models are discounted and by how much. Again, if Rolex is checking the receipts for discounts then I hope they tell ADs how much discount is too much before their dealership is taken away. Its hard to meet a standard you don't know the parameters of.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 12:05 PM   #30
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have NEVER asked for one in all my purchases. That is how a ‘discount’ works in my mind.
If you only take the discount you are offered then I'm fairly certain you have left money on the table at least some of the time. Which there is nothing wrong with, as long as you understand that. Do you agree to whatever discount a car dealer offers you straight out of the gate? Then you have definitely left money on the table.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote