The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 10 April 2008, 02:01 PM   #1
2careless
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Whoa! ebay forcing transactions in paypal!

http://www.news.com.au/technology/st...014108,00.html

Australia first in June, then looks like other countries will follow later on...
2careless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2008, 03:16 PM   #2
chevycorvette
"TRF" Member

Watch: still looking
sound like microsoft antitrust cases long time. monopoly the market. indirectly forcing people to use their services.
chevycorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2008, 04:03 PM   #3
applebook
"TRF" Member

Paypal is one of the worst companies in the world. Go to paypalsucks.com and see the horrible testimonials. I can personally testify that buyers conned me out of over a $1000 worth of computer parts when I used to buy/sell/fix laptops and parts on eBay. The part-time business was fine for over a year, but then, after I received "Power Seller" status, Paypal automatically gave buyers full protection.

What happened was that I ran into a handful of unscrupulous buyers - mostly from Europe - who claimed not to have received the packages, even though I provided a CanadaPost tracking number for each shipment. The problem is that CanadaPost does not confirm delivery for out of country parcels. However, if the packages had been lost, I would have been informed, or they would have been returned to me. The final straw for me was when a buyer bought a laptop LCD from me ($350), accidentally cut the wires when unpackaging it, and then sent it back to me as damaged, and Paypal sided with him.

Paypal
Old 10 April 2008, 06:50 PM   #4
scottschoe
"TRF" Member

Paypal blows (but I still do use it)
scottschoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2008, 07:49 PM   #5
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
I have had problems myself! Once i sent someone an item- they then didn't want it. I said send it back i will refund you less postage. It gets lost, the post office admitted that it had been posted but lost. I had to refund the guy £250- $500 and had no item returned!!

Great!
Still it is safe

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2008, 08:25 PM   #6
stevemulholland3
Banned

Watch: 1680 18k sub
yes I see everyones point,but-there must be a centralized system of payment that can verify everybody identities and ensure that there is some sort of protection on this venue.
I too have had problems on paypal,but I just would not feel safe sending someone thousands of dollars via money order ,etc..,even if they are well know(many feedback).there are many cases of completely well know individuals who just one day take the money and run ,so to speak.at least with paypal there is always recourse.
just my opinion.
cheers
stevemulholland3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2008, 12:11 AM   #7
sherwin
"TRF" Member

it looks like ebay is double dipping dont you think. they take a commission out of your sales, and a percentage of "fees" for processing your transaction. sounds a bit unfair to me.
sherwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2008, 12:23 AM   #8
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
Personally i think forcing people to use paypal must be illegal there is such a thing as competition law that prevents companies monopolizing certain markets!

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2008, 10:18 AM   #9
Chappy

Watch: ND Sub 14060M cosc
As a ebay user with over 750 completed transactions , I do not like this route that Feebay is taking
I understand that buyer security is a must , but getting smashed with fees at every angle takes a bite out of the sale .... I always offer free local pick-up and accept bank money orders to try and limit the Ebay/paypal bite ... this if it comes to Canada will make me look into other avenues for sales ........ EBAY if your listening you Suck !!
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2008, 10:21 AM   #10
Scarface
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex , Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemulholland3 View Post
yes I see everyones point,but-there must be a centralized system of payment that can verify everybody identities and ensure that there is some sort of protection on this venue.
I agree with Steve on this - but still, imposing paypal this way is no the right thing
Omega Seamaster Professional Chronograph
Scarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2008, 10:22 AM   #11
CoopJr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
As a ebay user with over 750 completed transactions , I do not like this route that Feebay is taking
I understand that buyer security is a must , but getting smashed with fees at every angle takes a bite out of the sale .... I always offer free local pick-up and accept bank money orders to try and limit the Ebay/paypal bite ... this if it comes to Canada will make me look into other avenues for sales ........ EBAY if your listening you Suck !!
Also, the way that they are changing the feedback system stinks too.
CoopJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2008, 06:46 PM   #12
sherwin
"TRF" Member

i think everyone would be a lot happier, if paypal or ebay stopped fees on one side of the sale.
ie. charging on both the sale and transaction sucks, but charging one flat fee for just the transaction would be a different matter alltogether
Old 12 April 2008, 08:01 PM   #13
applebook
"TRF" Member

Here's another personal horror story for your enjoyment:

Paypal has temporarily frozen my account when I tried to withdraw a fairly sizable amount of money that has been in my balance for over a week. Apparently, my supplied UPS tracking number for the item was insufficient because the package has yet to arrive (scheduled to be delivered by Wednesday).

Evidently, Paypal has become an Escrow site, through which a seller can withdraw money only when the goods are signed, sealed, delivered, and approved by the buyer!

The buyer had nothing to do with this sleazy move by Paypal. I guess once a person sends money through Paypal, NO ONE officially owns the funds anymore --not the payer, not the receiver.

Give me a break. I need the money to pay my credit card fees. Everyday the interest is accumulating. I will never use Paypal again for expensive stuff.
Old 13 April 2008, 07:44 AM   #14
scottschoe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by applebook View Post
Here's another personal horror story for your enjoyment:

Paypal has temporarily frozen my account when I tried to withdraw a fairly sizable amount of money that has been in my balance for over a week. Apparently, my supplied UPS tracking number for the item was insufficient because the package has yet to arrive (scheduled to be delivered by Wednesday).

Evidently, Paypal has become an Escrow site, through which a seller can withdraw money only when the goods are signed, sealed, delivered, and approved by the buyer!

The buyer had nothing to do with this sleazy move by Paypal. I guess once a person sends money through Paypal, NO ONE officially owns the funds anymore --not the payer, not the receiver.

Give me a break. I need the money to pay my credit card fees. Everyday the interest is accumulating. I will never use Paypal again for expensive stuff.
It's always a good rule to never carry a balance in Paypal. Did they say when the funds would be released? Sorry to hear.
Old 13 April 2008, 07:26 PM   #15
applebook
"TRF" Member

They said that they would clear it when the buyer receives the item, as shown by UPS' tracking information.

Essentially, Paypal is playing escrow with me, and I'm too tired to try and talk to these clowns. I'll eat the $20 interest accumulation.

If I had tried to withdraw the funds last week, they certainly would have flagged my account even quicker. One of the reasons why I left the balance in there was because of the terrible exchange rate that they were giving me: around .97 per CDN dollar for each $1 USD, even though the real exchange rates were the other way around (should have been $1.03 per $1 USD).

Class A clowns.
Old 13 April 2008, 10:46 PM   #16
sherwin
"TRF" Member

that sucks... because they operate like a bank really in my opinion. and give shockingly crap exchange rates, and on top of that it cost money to withdraw the money. really sucks
Old 16 April 2008, 01:23 PM   #17
2careless
"TRF" Member

Ok, the consumer protection agency in AU is looking at this issue now, about time...
http://www.theage.com.au/news/genera...025245331.html
Old 16 April 2008, 02:26 PM   #18
ashu2289
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas,SD
I would say Paypal is a good way to transact as they provide a security of transaction.
Once I lost a handycam in transit by UPS and since i paid for the insurance to the seller Paypal refunded me $800 for the camcorder not received.
They are helpful I feel.

Everything becomes nothing after ROLEX
116520 SS Daytona White Dial
116520 SS Daytona Black Dial
116523 18K&SS Daytona Slate Dial
16600 Sea-Dweller
16710 GMT Master II Pepsi Bezel
16613 18K&SS Submariner Blue Dial
116660 Deepsea Sea-Dweller
ashu2289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2008, 03:13 PM   #19
2careless
"TRF" Member

Well, the ACCC is looking at it from a competitive angle. With Ebay's market dominance in the online auction market, they are forcing people to use their paypal service, which has much higher competition in the online-payment market. That's what the ACCC has a beef at. Similar case is Microsoft bundling IE inside Windows, and that landed Microsoft into all kinds of antitrust problems.
Old 16 April 2008, 03:28 PM   #20
applebook
"TRF" Member

Hey, it's almost Wednesday.

I can almost take out MY money from my Paypal account. How kind of Paypal to allow me to withdraw MY money. We don't need banks in the world as long as we have Paypal. Oh happy day.