The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 4 March 2018, 10:24 AM   #31
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
+1
I agree.
I am very careful to ensure I only report if I am 100% sure.

On one occasion, when I later was corrected I immediately wrote both to Ebay and the seller to admit my error.

There are millions of honest sellers on eBay too!
Adam
Old 4 March 2018, 10:54 AM   #32
eelpie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15223, 6305/2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
This has been an interesting read.

At the end of the day it’s better that nobody gets screwed, including the innocent seller caught in a witch hunt. Frankly, your willingness to slander an innocent seller occasionally as collateral damage in your crusade “for the greater good” is appalling.
In as much as there's no evidence any "innocent seller" has ever been slandered, your comment is ludicrous.

Sending a report to eBay of suspicious activity doesn't expose any "innocent seller" to public view, slander or ridicule, and I would venture to say every seller I've ever mentioned by user ID on this board has done exactly what I've claimed they've done, namely, posting auctions for items they didn't own.

I have been reporting questionable auctions to eBay off and on for twenty years, and I've gotten thousands of replica and scam auctions removed.

I am not going to apologize because I have the ability to suss out scams when others see nothing more than a title, a description, and some random photographs.
eelpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 11:21 AM   #33
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by eelpie View Post
In as much as there's no evidence any "innocent seller" has ever been slandered, your comment is ludicrous.

Sending a report to eBay of suspicious activity doesn't expose any "innocent seller" to public view, slander or ridicule, and I would venture to say every seller I've ever mentioned by user ID on this board has done exactly what I've claimed they've done, namely, posting auctions for items they didn't own.

I have been reporting questionable auctions to eBay off and on for twenty years, and I've gotten thousands of replica and scam auctions removed.

I am not going to apologize because I have the ability to suss out scams when others see nothing more than a title, a description, and some random photographs.
You stated in the post I quoted that you were willing to sacrifice the occasional innocent in your holy crusades. I find that ethically unsound.

As others have suggested, pump the brakes.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 11:33 AM   #34
eelpie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
You stated in the post I quoted that you were willing to sacrifice the occasional innocent in your holy crusades. I find that ethically unsound.

As others have suggested, pump the brakes.
Innocents? Holy crusades? Dramatic much?

eBay is a business, and they enlist the help of people who can help them keep their web site, i.e., business as risk-free as possible.

I'm sorry you look on the potential victims of scams and hacked accounts with such disdain, but you'll have to pardon me if I can, in my own way, help others who don't know what to look for.

You'll have to excuse me now because I have to go report the incredibly obvious Rolex Submariner scam everyone else seems to be avoiding:

Rolex Submariner
Old 4 March 2018, 12:11 PM   #35
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As I aked once before, I wish you would post a photo of the claimed fake, so would all view it, for now and future reference
The thread/post becomes meaningless without the offending photo
Adam
Old 4 March 2018, 12:24 PM   #36
eelpie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADIATOR View Post
As I aked once before, I wish you would post a photo of the claimed fake, so would all view it, for now and future reference
The thread/post becomes meaningless without the offending photo
Adam
Can someone please explain the concepts of scam and hacked account to this gentleman.

I don't seem to be making any headway . . .
Old 4 March 2018, 12:47 PM   #37
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Can someone please explain the concepts of scam and hacked account to this gentleman.

I don't seem to be making any headway . . .
Hi
This was your original response that you decided to edit:

"What part of 'the watch isn't fake' presents a problem for you?

How, precisely, would a photo of a genuine Submariner help anyone in any way?

*The watch in the photos is real, but the account has been dormant for over a year, with zero transactions. The person who has hacked the account does not have the watch in his possession. He is selling a photo, and a story.*

That's the point of this entire thread - real watches offered by people who do not own them. Call the accounts hacked or compromised, or say the original account holder's identity has been stolen.

Again, people running scams use information and photos as genuine as possible. That is how bidders are fooled into thinking an auction is valid and that the watch exists."

If in those "scam" or "stolen photo" then post a screen shot of the incident.
When I report "stolen Photo" scams, I always give a link both to eBay and HERE of where the photos came from - then we can all follow the plot

What exactly was the issue/scam here: I am personally clueless!

"You'll have to excuse me now because I have to go report the incredibly obvious Rolex Submariner scam everyone else seems to be avoiding:

Rolex Submarine
r"

Thanks
Adam "The Gentleman"
Old 4 March 2018, 02:23 PM   #38
dera
"TRF" Member

I'm sorry, but that's just a load of garbage.
My eBay account has been "dormant" for close to 10 years now, just because I don't really use it for anything (I do log in every few years to keep it "active").
So if I were to sell something there, I would be a scammer?
BS.
dera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 03:06 PM   #39
eelpie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dera View Post
I'm sorry, but that's just a load of garbage.
My eBay account has been "dormant" for close to 10 years now, just because I don't really use it for anything (I do log in every few years to keep it "active").
So if I were to sell something there, I would be a scammer?
BS.
No, as the holder of the account, you wouldn't be a scammer.

Anyone who used your account without your permission, to sell something that person doesn't own, would be the scammer.

A scam / hacked account / compromised account occurs when one person uses another person's account without permission, without the knowledge of the account holder, and for illegal purposes.

I would suggest you Google identity theft.
Old 5 March 2018, 07:21 AM   #40
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
Never heard back from the seller.
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2018, 07:46 AM   #41
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
No, as the holder of the account, you wouldn't be a scammer.

Anyone who used your account without your permission, to sell something that person doesn't own, would be the scammer.

A scam / hacked account / compromised account occurs when one person uses another person's account without permission, without the knowledge of the account holder, and for illegal purposes.

I would suggest you Google identity theft.
Based on your posts, if dera were to now try to sell a watch on the long dormant account, you would report it to ebay as a scam. Correct?
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2018, 12:33 PM   #42
freefly
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4&5-digit Sub/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonesteak View Post
Never heard back from the seller.
Strange. I sent him a follow up message, and just got the below reply.
If you want to PM me your contact info, I will forward it over to him.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-2.jpg (54.5 KB, 30 views)
freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2018, 12:53 PM   #43
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
Can you give me some background here?

I reached out to the guy with no response, and considering he has it listed nowhere, can’t imagine he has much activity either. Not getting a response was highly questionable.

So, you reached out to him with interest? Did you make him an offer? If he wants to meet tomorrow, I’d feel it’s safe to assume there has been some back and forth? Can you give some details and numbers?

PM me if you’d like, thanks.
tbonesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2018, 01:47 PM   #44
freefly
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4&5-digit Sub/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonesteak View Post
Can you give me some background here?

I reached out to the guy with no response, and considering he has it listed nowhere, can’t imagine he has much activity either. Not getting a response was highly questionable.

So, you reached out to him with interest? Did you make him an offer? If he wants to meet tomorrow, I’d feel it’s safe to assume there has been some back and forth? Can you give some details and numbers?

PM me if you’d like, thanks.
PM sent.
freefly is offline   Reply With Quote