The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 13 January 2024, 04:07 PM   #1
prodigy75
"TRF" Member

Value of a watch on the second hand market

Hi,

Apart Chrono24 whick tools you use to know the value of a watch ?

Thanks
prodigy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 04:26 PM   #2
beachboy17
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tdr Sub 7021 Snflk
Use Chrono24 as a tool, showing you the range of asking prices for a watch. Not appraised value. And just because they ask that price doesn't mean they sell it for that price.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
beachboy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 04:32 PM   #3
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Contact any major grey dealer, ask them what they will buy it for, that's usually your price floor.

C24 prices are wildly inaccurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigy75 View Post
Hi,

Thanks
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 04:36 PM   #4
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Meteorite
Chrono24 and https://watchcharts.com/ as indicators. Contact dealer and ask for buying a watch and see what they say.
Rolex1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 04:52 PM   #5
prodigy75
"TRF" Member

thanks
prodigy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 05:42 PM   #6
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Chrono has prices all over the place and isn’t the best guide as to what something is worth or would sell for but at least it’s a start
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 06:33 PM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks
The value of anything is what someone is willing to pay for it.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 07:32 PM   #8
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

eBay can often be a good indicator - you can filter sold items to see some recent final sales values.
nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 10:34 PM   #9
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Join moda. Subtract 10% from prices you see there.
Old 13 January 2024, 10:42 PM   #10
taitun4life
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by gb-man View Post
join moda. Subtract 10% from prices you see there.
+1

Get what you love and wear ‘em…..
taitun4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2024, 10:51 PM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
You get a pretty good idea of what watches are selling for by looking at the sales listings of our trusted seller on this forum.

If you’re planning to sell private take off about 10-15%. If you’re selling your watch to a gray dealer take off about 30%.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2024, 12:08 AM   #12
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
You get a pretty good idea of what watches are selling for by looking at the sales listings of our trusted seller on this forum.

If you’re planning to sell private take off about 10-15%. If you’re selling your watch to a gray dealer take off about 30%.
This the answer and the numbers based on my personal experience.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2024, 02:01 AM   #13
wesdaniel

Watch: Varies
The three tips pointed out here:

* Watchcharts - This gives a lot of detail, but, in order to really get much benefit, you probably need a paid membership and that's not really worthwhile unless you're doing this for a living.

* Moda - This gives a good idea of what watches are trading for within a smaller, watch-focused community.

* Ebay - This is really your best bet (keeping in mind that you have to reduce your net by the amount of selling fees and transaction fees, so, probably 7% - 10% depending on selling price). Filter by sold items and it will give you some really good insight. As an example, we see the M.A.D. 1's listed for crazy amounts, but, when you look at actual sale histories, you see that the blue ones sell at decent prices and green sold with a bit of markup right after release, most of them are well under $5K (I paid $4,300 including tax on mine through ebay).

Chrono is worthless other than telling you what people are asking for watches. Looking through sale threads here gives you a good idea of what people are asking, but, not what final selling prices are. Also, unless you're a trusted seller, you're probably not going to come close to the prices here. Best of luck to you!
wesdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2024, 02:17 AM   #14
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesdaniel View Post
Chrono is worthless other than telling you what people are asking for watches.
I do not want to argue you, because I understand your point and I am agree on you why you wrote this. However, even in this circumstances, I do not agree with your conclusion! Chrono24 is quite good to estimate:

- the customers' need for a particular watch or for watches in general
- the very maximum asking price
- the quantity of available watches on the market.

Based on this, what I figured out that:

- the offered watches are advertised in general about 25-30% higher, then the price, what anyone would pay for a watch.
- you can see how many need is out there for a particular watch.
- and just for fun: They makes a lot of businesses, as there a lot of rookies who purchases these watches for the asking price after a "hype".

Based on the above, as far as I can see, Chrono24 is a good indicator for the reasonable market prices.
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2024, 02:21 AM   #15
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

A selling price is never an indicator, its the sold price that you want to go by. I can ask whatever I want but the market will depict what it sells for.
Old 14 January 2024, 02:25 AM   #16
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Get a quote from reseller to purchase. Add 5-10%.
Old 14 January 2024, 02:41 AM   #17
VintageVagabound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Get a quote from reseller to purchase. Add 5-10%.
I would disagree with this one. Most offers will be pawn shop prices like $5700 for a five digit sub or penny’s on the dollar for non-Rolex models. Maybe they’ll offer $500 for a Tag that they’ll list for $2600.
VintageVagabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2024, 02:44 AM   #18
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Value of a watch on the second hand market

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageVagabound View Post
I would disagree with this one. Most offers will be pawn shop prices like $5700 for a five digit sub or penny’s on the dollar for non-Rolex models. Maybe they’ll offer $500 for a Tag that they’ll list for $2600.

Your opinion. My comment is based on actual experience with Rolex and VC references. What they'll pay and what you can get selling it yourself aren't that far apart.

Nashville watches. Takuya. OC. Not pawn shop offers.

They get their trading prices from places like MODA so if these guys are valuing your watch at $5700 then that's because it's a $5700 wholesale watch they can sell for $6700 or so.
Old 14 January 2024, 02:56 AM   #19
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks
average price on Chrono24 minus 20% generally gives you a fair market price.
Old 14 January 2024, 09:45 AM   #20
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

I find now a days the dealers on this forum list at some of the highest prices on the market. No bargains here anymore, but there are sometimes good prices. Sometimes.

Moda is definitely the place where you see where prices are going.
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2024, 09:55 AM   #21
wesdaniel

Watch: Varies
Quote:
Originally Posted by INC View Post
I do not want to argue you, because I understand your point and I am agree on you why you wrote this. However, even in this circumstances, I do not agree with your conclusion! Chrono24 is quite good to estimate:

- the customers' need for a particular watch or for watches in general
- the very maximum asking price
- the quantity of available watches on the market.

Based on this, what I figured out that:

- the offered watches are advertised in general about 25-30% higher, then the price, what anyone would pay for a watch.
- you can see how many need is out there for a particular watch.
- and just for fun: They makes a lot of businesses, as there a lot of rookies who purchases these watches for the asking price after a "hype".

Based on the above, as far as I can see, Chrono24 is a good indicator for the reasonable market prices.
Except that a substantial number of watches on Chrono aren't even watches that are in a seller's hands. There are a number of sellers who post watches they don't have at ridiculous prices to fish for views, contacts, calls, etc.

I'm not sure how you can use a selling forum (C24) to see the "need" on the buyer side - especially one where there are so many phantom watches listed.

Agreed that there are some number of people out there who buy watches from C24 for inflated prices, but, that doesn't serve to establish the value of a watch or what one might expect to get selling a watch unless they get extremely lucky.

OP's original question was tools to know the "value" of a watch. The value is only what a willing buyer will pay a willing seller which can only be established by looking at actual transactions - which C24 doesn't show.
wesdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2024, 10:39 AM   #22
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
To me a watch is worth what a competitive used watch dealer who regularly trades in the type of watch will pay me for it. Call one and you have your answer. Private selling a watch is difficult if your new at it and frankly not worth the hassle. An exception would be a local sale to someone you know.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2024, 10:40 PM   #23
Rolexwatchman
Banned

I think watchcharts or watchereacon does that.
Rolexwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2024, 08:59 PM   #24
INC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesdaniel View Post
I'm not sure how you can use a selling forum (C24) to see the "need" on the buyer side - especially one where there are so many phantom watches listed.
That's correct. But in the same time, you are able to create your own watchlist, so you can follow the market. Also, there is a chart for the prices of the models, so you can see where the market goes, up, or down. With these two tools, way you can follow particular offers and even the number of the sales. Of course, this takes time.

Quote:
Agreed that there are some number of people out there who buy watches from C24 for inflated prices, but, that doesn't serve to establish the value of a watch or what one might expect to get selling a watch unless they get extremely lucky.
We are agree on this too. However, if you add this to the aboves, you will see, that there is a chance to sell your watch even for that prices, if you have time, and you know, where the market goes.

Accordingly in my opinion:

Quote:
OP's original question was tools to know the "value" of a watch. The value is only what a willing buyer will pay a willing seller which can only be established by looking at actual transactions - which C24 doesn't show.
I think, no one can give OP a proper answer without knowing his preferences. In my view, it is just like a stock market: there is a spread between the selling and the asking prices. In my experience the differrence is, that for a watch with a huge demand that spread is narrow, while there is an almost impossible to estimate this difference for a non hyped watch mostly because there is no real need out there to purchase that watch. For example in this case to find out the actual market price is nearly impossible.

For example I am following the SS Daytona second hand prices for fun, and it can be clearly seen, that the $17000 offering range gets to be too high even on Chrono24 soon! There are already offers in the $16k range, which prices are still not falls into the term of "bargain, one time only price" range.

Basically this means, that an ASAP price should be somewhere in the $13-$14k range, which sounds so strange, that it is a hard to believe. So I think, this is not the perfect time to be a watch dealer.
Old 20 January 2024, 08:05 PM   #25
INC
2024 Pledge Member

^^-- mixed up the currencies, no $, but €...
Old 23 January 2024, 09:19 AM   #26
355F1
"TRF" Member

Check the SOLD listings on EBay. That’s the easiest way to find out the actual market value of almost anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
355F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 07:40 AM   #27
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
To me a watch is worth what a competitive used watch dealer who regularly trades in the type of watch will pay me for it. Call one and you have your answer. Private selling a watch is difficult if your new at it and frankly not worth the hassle. An exception would be a local sale to someone you know.

I would agree - I usually tend to either call a dealer and ask what they'd pay me for it and then compare it against what for example another dealer (or as an approximation use a low C24 estimate and take off another 10-15%).

If you use the midpoint of the two numbers you're usually bang on
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote