The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 February 2018, 07:06 AM   #1
lilokito
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II BLNR
Buying a watch from Italy returning to the US?

Has anyone bought a Rolex from Italy and brought it back to the US?
I was just wondering if the watch needs to be declared when you get back and how much taxes you have to pay for so I can calculate if it's worth buying a watch from Italy.
lilokito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 07:08 AM   #2
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilokito View Post
I was just wondering if the watch needs to be declared when you get back and how much taxes you have to pay for so I can calculate if it's worth buying a watch from Italy.
Of course.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 07:12 AM   #3
REFZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Rolex Way
I guess you can find the answer on the website of US customs.
Old 21 February 2018, 07:25 AM   #4
lilokito
"TRF" Member

I am still trying to look for the exact calculation or tax rate but it seems to differ with the duty tax calculators as well. I was hoping someone has done it before.
Thank you
Old 21 February 2018, 07:26 AM   #5
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I am still trying to look for the exact calculation or tax rate but it seems to differ with the duty tax calculators as well. I was hoping someone has done it before.
Thank you
Use the search function, there are quite a few threads on it.
Most say to plan for at least 3 to 4% of value.
Old 21 February 2018, 07:31 AM   #6
lilokito
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
Use the search function, there are quite a few threads on it.
Most say to plan for at least 3 to 4% of value.
thanks! I just saw one member got charged 3% when he bought his watch in 2015. not bad at all! the calculators online were showing 11% lol
Old 21 February 2018, 07:33 AM   #7
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

I was in Italy last fall and no AD's had any SS sports in stock so good luck if thats what you are looking to get.

As for customs, declare it. Always . Why risk it? If you lie and are flagged, good luck with your future travels and for what? a few hundred bucks? FYI Over the years I have bought a couple watches abroad. I declared both. One agent said nice watch and waived me through and the other charged me a couple hundred to three hundred(I forget as it was years ago)bucks duty and it was over a NY minute.

They use a schedule and if I recall correctly it works out to a little over 3% of the total value.
jonnyz1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 07:36 AM   #8
lilokito
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyz1245 View Post
I was in Italy last fall and no AD's had any SS sports in stock so good luck if thats what you are looking to get.

As for customs, declare it. Always . Why risk it? If you lie and are flagged, good luck with your future travels and for what? a few hundred bucks? FYI Over the years I have bought a couple watches abroad. I declared both. One agent said nice watch and waived me through and the other charged me a couple hundred to three hundred(I forget as it was years ago)bucks duty and it was over a NY minute.

They use a schedule and if I recall correctly it works out to a little over 3% of the total value.
def declaring it. 3% sounds about what most people are saying and reading. i just have to factor that in. i do hope they have some ss in their AD's!
Old 21 February 2018, 07:44 AM   #9
billee
"TRF" Member

I have bought several watches over seas and returned to US. It depends on your customs officer. I bought Rolex last November and he looked at my slip and sent us through with no questions asked.
billee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 08:16 AM   #10
mml4
"TRF" Member

I was in Rome last month. The AD on the Via Condotti is named Hausman. It is about two blocks off of the Spanish Steps. He had 3 SkyDwellers in PM in the window and no sport watches in TT,SS or PM. The Rolex Boutique in the Airport had one GMT in YG and a few DJs' and that was it.
Check out the ITC Boutique and the Jaeger-LeCoultre Boutique on the Piazza D'Espagna. The JLC has a few special models in the window with prices over $200,000.
mml4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 08:21 AM   #11
RHJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 Mk1
In the last days I saw newly SS watches in Italy. Go in smaller cities to look for. For example Pavia is 30km in the south Milan with two ADs. Last weekend I saw there some.
RHJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 03:15 PM   #12
mvera339
"TRF" Member

Watch: YellowGold
I did a purchase in Italy back a few years and will forever regret it. It was the worst experience of my life. I would just purchase it here in the states. But back to my story, if you were to purchase over seas; make sure you double and triple check the watch. They sold me a watch that had a huge dent into the case.
Again- double and triple check the watch before leaving the AD. Good luck.
mvera339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 07:14 PM   #13
RolexWombat
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on the day
Technically there’s an extensive schedule (which you can find on line) which categorizes every thing from just movements imported in quantity to clocks and individual watches according to the metal(s) of the case, bracelet, type of movement, number of jewels, whether precious stones are used on the dial, etc...

Practically I somewhat doubt the customs officer at the airport goes into that much detail and may just go with some kind of flat % rate since you were nice enough to declare it to them rather than just wear it on your wrist walk through as if you owned the watch before your trip abroad...
RolexWombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 10:37 PM   #14
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Everything you purchase while out of the country that you are bringing back needs to be declared

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/internati...toms-duty-info
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 11:15 AM   #15
RolexNorth
Banned

Watch: YM2SS,SD43,HULK
Post mail the boxes back and wear the watch back on your wrist. Wear a long sleeve shirt i you're so concerned about it. No one's going to tell you to raise your sleeves to look at your watch. Heck, wear a light jacket if you have too.
RolexNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 12:39 PM   #16
Fort Rolex
"TRF" Member

Bought one and wore it home no problem although traveling was so hectic i forgot I had it ��
Fort Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2018, 01:48 PM   #17
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexNorth View Post
Post mail the boxes back and wear the watch back on your wrist. Wear a long sleeve shirt i you're so concerned about it. No one's going to tell you to raise your sleeves to look at your watch. Heck, wear a light jacket if you have too.
Sure... and when you get caught committing this Federal crime just say that an Internet forum said you could do it..
Old 22 February 2018, 02:05 PM   #18
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Search on the forum. There are tons of threads to answer your questiksafe travels
Old 23 February 2018, 05:33 AM   #19
bmrisko
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many...
My wife and I have brought several watches back on different trips from Tokyo that exceeded our combined $1600 allowance. We have always declared them as such and have never had to pay taxes, even though we're fully prepared to pay the ~4% and factor that into our buying decision when overseas.
bmrisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 05:36 AM   #20
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Sure... and when you get caught committing this Federal crime just say that an Internet forum said you could do it..
i agree. Not good. However almost everyone freely discusses shipping from AD to out of state addresses too. That is the same thing. State tax evasion vs federal tax evasion for import duty. IMO there is no difference.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 05:38 AM   #21
thomaswentworth
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116610 Sub
Declare it or you could have some explaining to do in a small room at the airport and risk confiscation and fines.
thomaswentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 05:42 AM   #22
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:

Encouraging people to commit a Federal crime is not a good idea.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 05:50 AM   #23
thomaswentworth
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116610 Sub
Quote:
The boxes being shipped back by themselves could maybe cause CBP to look into the matter further. Probably rare, but they could open that package you shipped to yourself and immediately draw the conclusion that you didn't declare a watch.
thomaswentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 06:10 AM   #24
fastmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
I just got back from Milan and purchased 2 sky dwellers from Pisa O the huge Rolex AD, one SS and one gold. Got my full 22% back and they took care of everything. I'm global entry so I don't mess around, declared, they said they had no time and said have a nice day.

Thanked me for being honest. The SS Sky dweller ended up costing me $1100K under MSRP plus no tax. Got a great discount on the Rose Gold as well.
fastmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2018, 06:23 AM   #25
bmrisko
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmd View Post
I just got back from Milan and purchased 2 sky dwellers from Pisa O the huge Rolex AD, one SS and one gold. Got my full 22% back and they took care of everything. I'm global entry so I don't mess around, declared, they said they had no time and said have a nice day.

Thanked me for being honest. The SS Sky dweller ended up costing me $1100K under MSRP plus no tax. Got a great discount on the Rose Gold as well.
Yup, definitely don't want to jeopardize current GE or getting it in the future if you don;t already have it!

Hopefully Switzerland and Italy have some good inventory when I'm there in a couple months.
bmrisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2018, 01:42 AM   #26
lilokito
"TRF" Member

Just got back from Italy and there were no sports models other than the Explorer I. I checked in 3 AD's in Milan close to the Duomo. I checked in Rome and Cassetti in Florence. The AD in Milan did say restocking will probably be in June or July. Thanks for the input guys!