The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 1 October 2015, 05:27 AM   #1
jandj275
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT-Master
"Original" date wheel on 1675

Hi,

I have a 1675 w a 1.6million serial number. The back casing says II.67. While I was doing my research on the watch, i noticed most from that era have open "6" and "9" on the date wheel. Mine, however, has closed "6" and "9". I read in some blogs that some of the dates wheels had variations like that and I was hoping someone could shed some light on the subject.

Thanks.
jandj275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2015, 05:33 AM   #2
TimeToGo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Welcome to the Forum!

By chance, does it have the "round" 3s and hooked 7s?
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2015, 08:17 AM   #3
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandj275 View Post
Hi,

I have a 1675 w a 1.6million serial number. The back casing says II.67. While I was doing my research on the watch, i noticed most from that era have open "6" and "9" on the date wheel. Mine, however, has closed "6" and "9". I read in some blogs that some of the dates wheels had variations like that and I was hoping someone could shed some light on the subject.

Thanks.
Contrary to what you read, the open 6 and 9 for your watch is incorrect.

You should have closed 6s and 9s, with a distinctive vertical hook on the top left side of the 7.

The fonts are fat.

The color is "off-white."

Here is the correct date wheel you need for mid 1960s to early 1970s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img_6466.jpg (180.8 KB, 450 views)

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2015, 01:01 PM   #4
Dries
"TRF" Member

Hi JP,
My watch is 1675PCG 623xxx with flat3 & open 6,9 date wheel.
Is it a period correct one? Thanks

Dries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2015, 01:10 PM   #5
Vintage Baby
Banned

Right, what springer said is correct...
Vintage Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2015, 11:05 PM   #6
jandj275
"TRF" Member

Hi all,

Yes the 3's are round and the 7 is hooked. Thanks for all of your replies. I was hoping it hadn't been changed out. It just bugged me how I saw many 1675's with the open 6 and 9 and how mine might have been altered.
Old 1 October 2015, 11:41 PM   #7
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

I had the same question too. Glad there are experts like Springer willing to share their expertise. My series 1 matte small arrow says hello with a closed six.
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2015, 11:46 PM   #8
jandj275
"TRF" Member

While we are discussing 1675s, I also wondering if Springer or anyone else here knows about the lume on something from the late 60's. My 1675's lume is still pretty good considering its almost 50 years old. Does anyone else find their lume to still be good?

Smellody's markers and lume looks similar to mine; white with a a slight green hue.

Old 2 October 2015, 01:26 AM   #9
iclick
"TRF" Member

My 2.32m 1675 with IV68 case date has the same date wheel Springer shows in Reply #3 with closed 6s and 9s and hooked 7s. I have had the watch since new and to my knowledge the date wheel is original.

Quote:
While we are discussing 1675s, I also wondering if Springer or anyone else here knows about the lume on something from the late 60's. My 1675's lume is still pretty good considering its almost 50 years old. Does anyone else find their lume to still be good?
Mine can be seen if I put my eye right up to the watch in total darkness, but it's very dim. I can actually read the time at night if I concentrate a bit. Original dial never relumed. The color is off-white with a slight beige and/or green tint, but not much, and not quite as white as depicted in the photo.

iclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2015, 10:19 AM   #10
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

Yep, my 1675 and 5513 from the same time period still glow; excitedly with LED flashlights.

Quote:

Smellody's markers and lume looks similar to mine; white with a a slight green hue.

Old 2 October 2015, 10:59 AM   #11
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

My 5513 "glowing"
Old 2 October 2015, 02:49 PM   #12
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Some of the 1960s models can still exhibit a little glow and it can become even more discernible when exposed to a bright light.

There are a few threads here on the forum regarding the tritium glow found on some of these older models.

Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 6 October 2015, 08:06 AM   #13
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Contrary to what you read, the open 6 and 9 for your watch is incorrect.

You should have closed 6s and 9s, with a distinctive vertical hook on the top left side of the 7.

The fonts are fat.

The color is "off-white."

Here is the correct date wheel you need for mid 1960s to early 1970s.
I actually just read quite a compelling debate on VRF about this exact same topic. I own a 1675 with a 2.88 serial that has Flat 3's & 7's and open 6's & 9's. I will state openly that I do not know the previous service history before it got to me but I was told it was a one owner watch. TimeToGo was also in this debate and I am sure he knows the two threads I am referring to as he was going back and forth with Philip on which date wheel is correct. The only proof from Rolex I saw was that there was Rolex Parts Catalog printed in 1969 showing Rolex part # 7090 which has Flat 3's & 7's and open 6's & 9's. So it appears that both could have been used during that era as it appears there is evidence of both.

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2015, 08:11 AM   #14
TimeToGo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLS View Post
I actually just read quite a compelling debate on VRF about this exact same topic. I own a 1675 with a 2.88 serial that has Flat 3's & 7's and open 6's & 9's. I will state openly that I do not know the previous service history before it got to me but I was told it was a one owner watch. TimeToGo was also in this debate and I am sure he knows the two threads I am referring to as he was going back and forth with Philip on which date wheel is correct. The only proof from Rolex I saw was that there was Rolex Parts Catalog printed in 1969 showing Rolex part # 7090 which has Flat 3's & 7's and open 6's & 9's. So it appears that both could have been used during that era as it appears there is evidence of both.
I will not argue with you there. It is just tough when someone goes against the current and states that they were not available (round 3s hooked 7s).. and that is that period...

TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2015, 08:14 AM   #15
SLS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToGo View Post
I will not argue with you there. It is just tough when someone goes against the current and states that they were not available (round 3s hooked 7s).. and that is that period...

Yes, that is tough as there is certainly evidence of both date wheels being used.

Member No. 922
Old 6 October 2015, 08:59 AM   #16
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLS View Post
Yes, that is tough as there is certainly evidence of both date wheels being used.
I did not see any evidence to the contrary in the VRF post by this Phillip gentleman that the date wheel I posted was not correct. His source is a parts book and the R-4s (Rolex parts book) have the same style of date wheels into the 1980s. The discussion concerned original date wheels, not service date wheels. The date wheels in the R-4 are shaded a gray color, so regardless if originals, were white, off-white, champaign, silver etc, they all pretty much look the same in this book.

I find that if responses are not made to this misinformation, it becomes gospel the next time someone asks "what date wheel....etc etc?"

This topic has really been discussed extensively and has really been "beat to death." If you want a correct date wheel for your vintage 1960s GMT, it should be off-white, have the rounded three, closed sixes/nines and the hooked seven. If you really don't care, like most owners, then it really doesn't matter.

Old 6 October 2015, 09:35 AM   #17
SLS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I did not see any evidence to the contrary in the VRF post by this Phillip gentleman that the date wheel I posted was not correct. His source is a parts book and the R-84s Rolex parts book) have the same style of date wheels into the 1980s. The discussion concerned original date wheels, not service date wheels.

I find that if responses are not made to this misinformation, it becomes gospel the next time someone asks "what date wheel....etc etc?"

This topic has really been discussed extensively and has really been "beat to death." If you want a correct date wheel for your vintage 1960s GMT, it should be off-white, have the rounded three, closed sixes/nines and the hooked seven. If you really don't care, like most owners, then it really doesn't matter.
John, I was only stating what I read and saw and commented on that. I will say that it seemed that most on VRF agreed with you. As far as the misinformation, I did not say that it was fact, all I am saying is that if a parts book printed in 1969 shows Flat 3's & 7's and open 6's & 9's that it may be possible that my 2nd quarter 1970 GMT may have an original date wheel and not a service replacement. All we can do as a community is pool our resources and learn from each others experiences.

Scott

Member No. 922
Old 6 October 2015, 09:18 PM   #18
nsumner
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
not again
nsumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2015, 01:01 AM   #19
Vincent65
"TRF" Member