The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 July 2020, 02:14 AM   #1
doramas
Banned

What do I want with the 3235 caliber?

I have a Datejust of almost 32 years with a 3135 movement. It was one of the first Rolex to carry this fantastic caliber, and I say fantastic because my Datejust is at -0.16666666 seconds a day, or what is the same, -5 seconds a month.
With these figures, I don't need a 3235.

Long life to the 3135 caliber

doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 02:25 AM   #2
HNS
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41
I agree that it's not accuracy or durability that you may need with the 3235 because the 3135 is a great caliber.

The only two things you may need with the 3235 is the 70 hours power reserve which is nice to have for many of us and the future availability of spare parts, albeit after a long time.

Enjoy both in good health
HNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 02:28 AM   #3
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

O.k. Your accuracy has more to do with the hands that regulated the watch.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 02:30 AM   #4
Fluster.Cluck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Anyone know when the new movement will be in the Explorer 1 (214270)?

My local AD called and said they got one in that I planned on looking at. Worried it would be updated in 2021.
Fluster.Cluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 02:32 AM   #5
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
I need my buttery smooth winding and almost silent rotor more than a 70 hour power reserve.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 02:35 AM   #6
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
What do I want with the 3235 caliber?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doramas View Post
I have a Datejust of almost 32 years with a 3135 movement. It was one of the first Rolex to carry this fantastic caliber, and I say fantastic because my Datejust is at -0.16666666 seconds a day, or what is the same, -5 seconds a month.
With these figures, I don't need a 3235.

Long life to the 3135 caliber

Didn’t know the 3135 was that old.
Hope that 30 years from now, we “3235 owners” will say the same of this caliber vs the future one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16 July 2020, 02:37 AM   #7
doramas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNS View Post
I agree that it's not accuracy or durability that you may need with the 3235 because the 3135 is a great caliber.

The only two things you may need with the 3235 is the 70 hours power reserve which is nice to have for many of us and the future availability of spare parts, albeit after a long time.

Availability of parts? But there are still new Rolexes that use that caliber. I will pass on to a better life and there will still be spare parts for the 3135. It will certainly survive me working perfectly.
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 02:39 AM   #8
R_Rated
"TRF" Member

3235 is an upgraded & updated 3125. Saying that the 3125 is just fine and tells good time is like saying a timex keeps good enough time. Appreciate owning a piece of history that has been a faithful companion but also respect that after multiple decades things can be improved upon. Something better coming along doesn't taint the memories and story you have experienced with your beloved, its just progress.
R_Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 02:40 AM   #9
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

All designs get overtaken at some point, no matter how good they are. What the new movement offers is the opportunity of years of fresh development.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 02:44 AM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HNS View Post

Well power-reserve would not be the main function in any watch for me, and when they get the few issues fixed with the cal 3235, would expect it will be as accurate and long lasting as the cal 3135.Today just like many Rolex watches like say the Daytona with 70 plus hours P/R, and those with the 32 series movement will end up on one of these so called winding machine.So is this extra power-reserve needed by making the spring-barrel very thin on the 32 series.And as for parts they still have most parts for the 15 series movements and in the case of the 31 series movements parts for another 30- 50 odd years.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 02:45 AM   #11
HNS
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by doramas View Post
Availability of parts? But there are still new Rolexes that use that caliber. I will pass on to a better life and there will still be spare parts for the 3135. It will certainly survive me working perfectly.
It will definitely serve you well my friend !
HNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 02:50 AM   #12
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Rated View Post
3235 is an upgraded & updated 3125. Saying that the 3125 is just fine and tells good time is like saying a timex keeps good enough time. Appreciate owning a piece of history that has been a faithful companion but also respect that after multiple decades things can be improved upon. Something better coming along doesn't taint the memories and story you have experienced with your beloved, its just progress.
Well said.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41 White/Romans
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 04:25 AM   #13
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Personally speaking the 70 hour powereserve.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 04:52 AM   #14
LOWERCASE GUY
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ41- champagne
The new movement is also 10x more shock resistant then the 3135 and also entirely paramagnetic. Not a deal breaker by any stretch but the increased accuracy, power reserve, shock resistance and anti magnetic features add up to a pretty impressive upgrade.

That said, the 3135 is tried and tested and has stood the test of time thus far and will continue to be effective for many years to come.
LOWERCASE GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 05:43 AM   #15
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWERCASE GUY View Post
The new movement is also 10x more shock resistant then the 3135 and also entirely paramagnetic. Not a deal breaker by any stretch but the increased accuracy, power reserve, shock resistance and anti magnetic features add up to a pretty impressive upgrade.

That said, the 3135 is tried and tested and has stood the test of time thus far and will continue to be effective for many years to come.
10× more shock resistant? I think not...

There's literally no advantage of having the paraflex shock absorber VS the Kif.
The only real reason for the 'upgrade' to Paraflex is because it is their own shock absorber, rather than someone else's design, and just another step towards being fully in-house.

Oh and the 32×× rotor ball bearing is not even nearly as shock resistant as an old type rotor axle.

I have replaced many rotors on the 32 series already, after a hard knock/drop. Plenty of them didn't even have a shattered crystal.

Yes the 32×× is brand new, has cool features and looks much better. But I cannot think of it as a better movement in terms of durability.

Not to even speak of the incredible amount of watches that need a full service under warranty...
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 05:45 AM   #16
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Rated View Post
The 3235 is not an upgraded/updated 3135, it is a completely new movement from the ground up. They're not alike at all.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 05:51 AM   #17
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
3135 is amazing and pretty much bulletproof. It would be my choice still today.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 05:53 AM   #18
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post

There's literally no advantage of having the paraflex shock absorber VS the Kif.
The only real reason for the 'upgrade' to Paraflex is because it is their own shock absorber, rather than someone else's design, and just another step towards being fully in-house.

Oh and the 32×× rotor ball bearing is not even nearly as shock resistant as an old type rotor axle.

I have replaced many rotors on the 32 series already, after a hard knock/drop. Plenty of them didn't even have a shattered crystal.

Yes the 32×× is brand new, has cool features and looks much better. But I cannot think of it as a better movement in terms of durability.

Not to even speak of the incredible amount of watches that need a full service under warranty...
Great points Bas. Also, worth mentioning those ceramic ball bearings make for a much louder rotor swing too if that sort of thing matters to one.
Old 16 July 2020, 05:55 AM   #19
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Funny about movement wars. If you believe Rolex knew how to make a movement 25 years ago, why would anyone doubt Rolex with increased technology wouldn’t build a better movement today? You either believe Rolex knows how to build a movement or you don’t. It’s not like the company and their founding principles of engineering have changed.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 06:29 AM   #20
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Funny about movement wars. If you believe Rolex knew how to make a movement 25 years ago, why would anyone doubt Rolex with increased technology wouldn’t build a better movement today? You either believe Rolex knows how to build a movement or you don’t. It’s not like the company and their founding principles of engineering have changed.
I certainly believe they can make a great movement and that the 3235 is one or has the potential at least. But like any new movement it takes a few years or more to fully work out the kinks. At least imo.
Old 16 July 2020, 06:35 AM   #21
LOWERCASE GUY
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ41- champagne
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post

The parachrom bleu hairspring has been updated for the 3235. It is now 10x more precise than a traditional hairspring in case of shocks. The shock resistance vs the kif has been improved by up to 50% so there is an advantage, albeit not as great I initially stated.

Is it not too early to judge it's durability?

Your knowledge vastly outweighs my own and I respect your point of view, I'm just a keen student trying to learn but I am a big fan of the new movement.

Peace.
LOWERCASE GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 06:40 AM   #22
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluster.Cluck View Post
Anyone know when the new movement will be in the Explorer 1 (214270)?

My local AD called and said they got one in that I planned on looking at. Worried it would be updated in 2021.
I would not worry about an update. If you like the watch and it is available now I would jump all over it. At some point there will be a gap in supply from the factory closure and a new model will be impossible to get for a while. The 3135 is a great movement without any of the documented issues of the new movement of oil problems and rotor noise. And the new movement is much expensive to repair down the road should problems arise with the escapement.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 06:48 AM   #23
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
I think its really only an temporary issue for buyers in this transition phase. At some point soon, the entire line will have the new movement and if you want a new watch it will have the new movement. The issue then is really for people debating Subs and Explorers new this year or just waiting for the upgrade. Goods reasons for both buying now or waiting.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 07:19 AM   #24
R_Rated
"TRF" Member

As soon as this movement makes its way into the sub it will be the new hotness. The primary reason for people justifying the 3135 love right now is the sub fad... and the resulting justifying the trend watch. The REAL divers already made the move to the 3235;) They[Rolex] would not have done that with durability concerns.
R_Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 08:08 AM   #25
Fluster.Cluck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
I would not worry about an update. If you like the watch and it is available now I would jump all over it. At some point there will be a gap in supply from the factory closure and a new model will be impossible to get for a while. The 3135 is a great movement without any of the documented issues of the new movement of oil problems and rotor noise. And the new movement is much expensive to repair down the road should problems arise with the escapement.

Thanks for the informative response!

I will be turning 30 and having a son in the coming months. Really wanted to get a 2020 so your reply helps keep me at ease.
Fluster.Cluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 08:21 AM   #26
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I'm happy to have both.

From my perspective the only tangible difference is the power reserve which I do find handy for the BLRO and time setting (not that it's a hassle at all really, just convenient).

The 31 is a smoother winding movement though, I do notice that.

20200715_181930.jpg20190926_153345.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 08:23 AM   #27
Napoleon
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO / Sub / Polar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
I need my buttery smooth winding and almost silent rotor more than a 70 hour power reserve.
Amen!
Napoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 09:55 AM   #28
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
3235 has had reported issues but it is a brand new movement and will take time to perfect. The 3135 has been around, improved, and refined for decades.

We are dealing with outdated technology here, so developments are going to be slow and certainly not necessary.

Also, it is pretty clear that mechanical watches, in many ways, have been quite advanced and some of the new tech being putting in comes with drawbacks. Omega now has a master co-axial but this has come at the cost of thicker movements. Rolex' 3235 doesn't feel as refined despite the technical improvements.

The 70 hour power reserve is certainly an upgrade. If you are rotating watches, that extra time can certainly save having to set your watch again. Also, maybe just my experience but I don't find the old Rolex rotors to be particularly efficient in powering a watch. You really have to wear them to keep them going so the lower power reserve of the 3135 sucks when you are rotating watches. Of course, some people don't mind setting their watches and all of this is null.
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 11:40 AM   #29
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
My SD43 can lose/gain 5 seconds in a day or two, lol.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 11:47 AM   #30
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
Agreed
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote