The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 April 2018, 12:26 AM   #391
Luchi12
"TRF" Member

Had a big scare last week.

Usually I always put my watch in my casebudi and then in my carry on prior to security. This time I was in a rush and had forgotten to remove my watch, when I got to security I was told to take my watch off and put it in the tray along with my phone and a couple of other things.

The airport security was super busy so it was very difficult to keep an eye on my things. So I get to the other side and empty my tray and start to put everything back on, shoes, jacket, belt etc. Then I realise my watch is not there, it is nowhere to be seen. So obviously I start to panic and I'm saying to the lady at security where's my watch!? It was in this tray right here and it's no longer there! She has a little look around the trays next to mine and we can't see it, she then goes and has a look further down conveyor belt and my watch is dangling off the edge of the conveyor with bags basically rolling over it!

Luckily there was no damage to the watch but I will not be making that mistake ever again that's for sure, I had a mini heartache and it made it worse as the security was so busy!
Luchi12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 12:32 AM   #392
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I have never been asked to take mine off, nor would I. If I'm wearing a $50k watch I'm not putting it in a tray or bag. I think on domestic flights here you can ask for the wand search or body search if they give you a hard time; I'd rather have that then give them access to my watch.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 12:42 AM   #393
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
I fly on the odd military flight where when your asked to take something off, your best do as told. Hence always put my watch in a case buried at the bottom of my carry on until im thru to the lounge
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 12:46 AM   #394
dafuture
"TRF" Member

Before I get to the front of the line I slip mine in a little velvet pouch I carry. It goes in an inside pocket of my bag and is the first thing I reach for when I grab security.
Old 25 April 2018, 12:52 AM   #395
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

In the past I’ve always put the watch an omega into my carry on. Never had a problem. But this was before 9/11 and tsa and homeland security.

Now I keep it in the safe and fly with a Apple Watch. A pink one. Vacation is supposed to be stress free. I don’t want to worry or end up with a lost watch that I care about. Even with insurance, it’s still going to ruin the trip if something happens.

So if the Apple Watch gets stolen it will be a bummer but life will go on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 01:00 AM   #396
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
travel all the time and have never had to take a watch off.
Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 06:33 PM   #397
oldsalt
"TRF" Member

Watch: ?????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finslayer83 View Post
travel all the time and have never had to take a watch off.
Ditto.... off to Europe next week...with my watch firmly on my wrist...

cheers
Old 25 April 2018, 07:07 PM   #398
lawler
"TRF" Member

Flying back from Rome to London I was asked to take my SubC off.

Also asked to take it off at security for the Vatican.

You just need to be vigilant and keep a beady eye on it for the few second sit is off your wrist!
lawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 07:09 PM   #399
swatty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Game
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsalt View Post
Ditto.... off to Europe next week...with my watch firmly on my wrist...

cheers
If you are stopping over in the Middle East you will need to take it off, so be prepared . Happened to me last month.
Old 25 April 2018, 08:29 PM   #400
challer
"TRF" Member

I leave it on. If I'm PRE, nothing happens. If I'm not PRE, my wrist always get a pat down. If force to take it off, it goes in a watch case, which is much harder to steal. TSA employees have told me to never remove a Rolex or Apple watch...
challer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 12:49 AM   #401
nfld
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub & Aqua Terra
If I have to take it off I put it in my coat so it won't get scratched, Then when I get through I immediately put my watch back on, it's the first thing I do, always. Then I look around and see if my wife is still with me...priorities!!!
nfld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 12:59 AM   #402
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Usually I go through no problems as I said up thread. Once they asked to look at it on my wrist after going through the scanner. On a flight this past Friday I was asked after I went through to take it off and let them see it. So I did.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 01:05 AM   #403
JW1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-date
Def keep on wrist!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JW1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 06:42 AM   #404
Otto
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona and others
Flew out of Narita into DFW and back over the last two weeks and never took my watch off.
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 06:44 AM   #405
Ungucpho
"TRF" Member

watch stays on for me. doesn't matter if it is an apple watch or rolex, i'll only take it off if i walk through the scanner and TSA asks me to take it off
Ungucpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 07:10 AM   #406
T01
"TRF" Member

Always leave it on, have yet to have an issue with it going through.
T01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 05:31 PM   #407
oldsalt
"TRF" Member

Watch: ?????
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatty View Post
If you are stopping over in the Middle East you will need to take it off, so be prepared . Happened to me last month.
Stopped over for a few days in Dubai last year and going there again this time.... didn't have to take my watch off ... (of course you may mean some other part of the Middle East)...

cheers
Old 26 April 2018, 05:53 PM   #408
SilverFoxUK
"TRF" Member

I am travelling to Chicago soon and have been following this post keenly. I think half the comments say leave it on, half say pack in your hand luggage/carry on. I am quite new to Rolex ownership and am torn between taking my watch on holiday/vacation and leaving it in the safe at home. I know life is for living, but with the uncertainty over security check I am not yet decided what to do. I’m a first time visitor to Chicago, so am wondering how safe it would be to walk around the city with a steel GMT or Dj41 on wrist? Or if people see it on you in a bar, might that be a risk? Forgive me for going off OP question a little.
SilverFoxUK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 06:41 PM   #409
BadBoyR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubsGMTsSDsYM2DJ41
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFoxUK View Post
I am travelling to Chicago soon and have been following this post keenly. I think half the comments say leave it on, half say pack in your hand luggage/carry on. I am quite new to Rolex ownership and am torn between taking my watch on holiday/vacation and leaving it in the safe at home. I know life is for living, but with the uncertainty over security check I am not yet decided what to do. I’m a first time visitor to Chicago, so am wondering how safe it would be to walk around the city with a steel GMT or Dj41 on wrist? Or if people see it on you in a bar, might that be a risk? Forgive me for going off OP question a little.
I took my BLNR with me to Paris and I had to remove the watch on the return journey, its only at their request. I keep my travel case in my hand luggage.

Just take it with you, I never felt uncomfortable walking around Paris and visiting all the tourist attractions.
BadBoyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 06:50 PM   #410
WVG7
"TRF" Member

Usually while waiting in the line I have a look at what other persons in front of me do. Sometimes they just keep their watch/jewels on and if the screener does not beep I feel no urge to take of mine.

In case there is no other way around, I just put it in my jacket and try not to get it out of sight.
WVG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 08:25 PM   #411
swatty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Game
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsalt View Post
Stopped over for a few days in Dubai last year and going there again this time.... didn't have to take my watch off ... (of course you may mean some other part of the Middle East)...

cheers
Have a good trip
Old 26 April 2018, 11:03 PM   #412
jatco
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatty View Post
Have a good trip
..and be safe.. ..

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 07:28 AM   #413
GeezyAF
"TRF" Member

Watch: es and sneakers
Quote:
I was just in Chicago this last weekend. I'm assuming you'll be sticking around downtown, in which there will be no problem wearing a Rolex. Lambo and Porsche owners are plenty.
GeezyAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 08:34 AM   #414
Rsubnodate
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I have walked all around Chicago with a Rolex. I took a TT Datejust with no issues. Just use common sense when in the city.
Rsubnodate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 02:32 PM   #415
rachelsung
"TRF" Member

My husband never took it off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rachelsung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 12:29 PM   #416
bay-dweller
"TRF" Member

Travel case is like $15. I bring one when I travel because I don't sleep with my watch on.

Sometimes I put in the travel case and let them x-ray it.

If I don't take it off I raise my hands above my head when I walk through the metal detector. I think the machine is more sensitive to metal in your midsection.

I don't think stainless steel is undetectable in a metal detector, that would be a ridiculous design flaw.
bay-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 12:57 PM   #417
lkngshrp
"TRF" Member

Travelled for years with my TT SubC to Europe and USA and Caribbean without ever removing it. I’ve also travelled to the USA pre Covid with my Platona and no issues there. My watches never leave my wrist even if asked to. I’ll get a pat down instead.
lkngshrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 12:59 PM   #418
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
I’ve been asked a few times to take it off and I politely decline. Never had an issue.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 01:01 PM   #419
wilsonpepper
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
Non ferrous metals do not set off the metal detector !
wilsonpepper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 01:11 PM   #420
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
I’ve been asked a few times to take it off and I politely decline. Never had an issue.
Yeah, same here, I said no, they took me into a back room, asked me to strip, brought out some latex gloves and....just kidding....