The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 July 2020, 06:04 AM   #1
Tom_A
"TRF" Member

Icon20 New BlackBay58 Navy Blue

We all know Tudor has recently released the new BB58 in navy blue and I have been toying with the idea of adding this piece to my collection! I have been told by my AD that I can join a 8 months waiting list if I can put a 10% deposit down.

I am struggling to justify getting this piece given the state of my current collection (Chronomat Evolution, BB58 original, non-date SubC, DJ41 blue fluted jubilee). Adding BB58 blue just seems like a duplicate to my BB58 original and non-date SubC.

My questions are:

1) Is the BB58 blue different enough to be added to my collection?

2) If yes, should I pay the deposit and play the waiting game, or would I be better off hunting it around elsewhere?

3) Do you think BB58 original and/or BB58 blue will have good resale value if I ended up getting both but eventually want to get rid of one?

4) I have a 6.25" wrist, do you have any other recommendations for $6k budget?

Thanks in advance!
Tom_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 06:35 AM   #2
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
I have the 114060 and datejust 41/blue/fluted/jubilee. You are in good company! I really like the BB58 as well. It adds to your collection, no doubt. Do you have a white dial? Another good choice under 6k would be the OP 39 white dial.
JRell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 06:46 AM   #3
LOWERCASE GUY
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ41- champagne
Hi Tom, welcome to the forum.

I have my eye on a BB but I don't think i'd want both. Although plenty do.

They have good resale value atm. If I were you with your collection and budget I'd considering adding the Tudor GMT to my collection. You have the chrono, 2x divers and dress watch (awesome 4 piece collection btw). You have a diverse collection already but missing a GMT.

Just my 2c, good luck with whatever you decide.
LOWERCASE GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 06:46 AM   #4
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_A View Post

Not really.

2) If yes, should I pay the deposit and play the waiting game, or would I be better off hunting it around elsewhere?

No deposit.

3) Do you think BB58 original and/or BB58 blue will have good resale value if I ended up getting both but eventually want to get rid of one?

Sure.

Don’t get another Tudor. Check out new Zenith El Primero Chronomasters at 40% off. Or Tag or Omega. Something different. My 2 cents.

Thanks in advance!
Answers above.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 06:48 AM   #5
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
Quote:
We all know Tudor has recently released the new BB58 in navy blue and I have been toying with the idea of adding this piece to my collection! I have been told by my AD that I can join a 8 months waiting list if I can put a 10% deposit down.
lol that's a little bit of exaggeration on your sales rep's part. If you like it, just ask them to put your name down. You'll get the call far earlier than they'd care to admit.

They used the same line with me and the Tudor GMT. "50 people." Please.

Quote:
I am struggling to justify getting this piece given the state of my current collection (Chronomat Evolution, BB58 original, non-date SubC, DJ41 blue fluted jubilee). Adding BB58 blue just seems like a duplicate to my BB58 original and non-date SubC.
Agreed.

Quote:
My questions are:

Thanks in advance!
1. Not really, but if you like it, consider selling something else and make room for yet another piece in the future.

2. Ask around. ADs are still taking orders. You won't be waiting 8 months for one.

3. It depends on so much. I don't think you'll make a fat profit, but you'll probably be able to break even or limit your losses substantially.

4. I really dig the older Tudor Price Oysterdate Submariners. The older Tudor chronographs (non-Tiger) are really cool, too. My go-to response for questions like these, however, is vintage Breitling- or a vintage Rolex Datejust with a wildly toned dial.
Old 16 July 2020, 06:54 AM   #6
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

For me I think it would be a little pointless in adding this to your collection. You have the 58 in one guise and a no date sub which will be difficult to beat in most departments.

If you’re in the market for a blue diver then I’d recommend the Omega Seamaster as a blue alternative and add something completely different to your collection.
nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 06:58 AM   #7
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Makes no sense. You already have BB58, which is 39mm no date diver. Then you have 40mm no date diver in SubC. Get something else. You don't need to get every new release made by Tudor or Rolex. Ignore the marketing, its just same watch as your BB58 but in different color variation.

The alternative suggestion would be that you can still get the Blue version and sell the original BB58, so you got Rolex in black and Tudor in blue!
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 11:58 AM   #8
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

Given your collection, if you are considering the Blue Bay 58, you might actually consider parting with the original black BB58. IMO that black BB58 is possibly more redundant than the new blue one because you already have a Sub (which is also black).
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 01:15 PM   #9
usc1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub of course
Quote:

My questions are:

Thanks in advance!

I would say it’s not different to justify another 58. I would dump the black if you want the blue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
usc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 01:21 PM   #10
redmonds214
Banned

IMO the OG BB58 looks better than the Blue Bay..Passed on picking up the blue, i think the piece looks better on the web than in person...the blue dial really throws me off and much lighter in person. Hold off on duplicating imo. If you are on the fence I would pass for now, you can always revisit the idea later.
redmonds214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 04:28 PM   #11
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster Sauce View Post
Given your collection, if you are considering the Blue Bay 58, you might actually consider parting with the original black BB58. IMO that black BB58 is possibly more redundant than the new blue one because you already have a Sub (which is also black).
This - given you have the sub it makes sense to me. I don’t have a sub and have both 58’s and am thinking of offloading the original.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 05:17 PM   #12
campfire
"TRF" Member

I do like the BB58 Blue. But I wouldn't keep two BB58s.
campfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 05:35 PM   #13
importstunna
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Great collection, but adding the BBB58 would be too many non-date divers that look nearly identical to me.
importstunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 06:02 PM   #14
Dini
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060/126710BLRO
I'd have to agree with the majority here. Having a 114060 and both BB58's is redundant. Too many non-date dive watches even though they are all beautiful. Maybe offload the original and get the blue so you can have 1 black diver and 1 blue diver so it offers more versatility?

Hard decision but good luck!
Dini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 09:03 PM   #15
newshound
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO Chrono Blue
I have the blue on a bracelet and the original on the leather strap and for me they are different enough to keep the two of them.

Having both on a bracelet might be a bit redundant but with different bands/bracelets they have a totally different feel and I love them both equally.

For me the blue with leather strap was a pass.
newshound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 09:20 PM   #16
DanishDynamite
"TRF" Member

I have both BB58 OG and the new BB58 Blue. I find them to be distinctly different as there is not only a main color difference, but the BB58 OG has gilt and the red triangle.

Visually it sets them apart and they even seem different size wise a tiny bit on your eye due to the warmth and color difference.

With your no-date SubC however I think you’d land right in between the two with a black dial and white numerals.

Getting the BB58 OG would be an overkill here and you’d end up getting no wrist time on one of the three. Trust me, it’s already difficult spreading the love on two BB58s ;)

If you badly want the BB58 OG, you’d have to make the choice between the no-date SubC and the BB58 OG IMHO and I’m guessing most people in here would go SubC.

How about an alternative proposal... Get the BB58 OG and then sell the SubC and get a GMT Master II BLNR instead of it? Then you’d still have two divers, different in style plus you’d end up with a GMT and still be within total budget after selling ;)
DanishDynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 10:31 PM   #17
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
1. I have OG58 and 116610ln. Adding blue as soon as it is available. So yes, it is different enough IMO.
2. Pay deposit and shop around. If you get it elsewhere, get your deposit back.
3. Who knows. If market is flooded, won’t appreciate all that much. Regardless, you should always at least get 80-90% of $ back (if sourced at retail).
4. El primero 38 on bracelet (03.2150.400/69.M2150)

Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 11:11 PM   #18
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
I think it would work in your collection, but a collection should really just be you buying the watches you like best, so there's that.
Old 17 July 2020, 07:28 AM   #19
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Seems redundant to me - how about a 40mm exp2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2020, 10:04 PM   #20
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16710
why do you need two of them?
iliketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2020, 03:55 AM   #21
Sglass
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The throne
I love the blue and would highly recommend it. It's getting way more wrist time than anything else.

IG: CrosbyStreetVintage
Sglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2020, 03:59 AM   #22
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
A white dial 39mm OP would be on my list.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2020, 04:33 PM   #23
Ekwity
"TRF" Member

Watch: —>
Don’t think you need it, as watch enthusiasts we tend to go to the newest and latest pieces. Just hold your money until you find something else you really want or is different. In 2-3 years the 58 will be under retail anyway
Ekwity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2020, 04:46 PM   #24
Ihatecheese
Banned

It's WIS hype. As the person above shared.
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2020, 05:02 PM   #25
unknown
"TRF" Member

do it, it's more than different enough

Can't go wrong with this

Old 18 July 2020, 05:20 PM   #26
Soultime
"TRF" Member

I am sure the wait lists will dissappear with the way the global job market is looking.
In the UK the forecast is for unemployment to triple between now and Christmas. Things will be bleak!

Also similar wait lists when the Tudor GMT and BB58 launched and they soon became available.

But I would say same as many others, don't buy, or sell the black BB58.
Soultime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2020, 05:21 PM   #27
timlaw
"TRF" Member

Watch: Coke 16710
only you can decide this - see one in the flesh and if you like it sell the original one and you should not have to spend much if you can find the blue at list price

i agree with the poster above that the 16570 explorer 2 is a great piece - i just bought one - but that is way more money than a new bb58

124060 Submariner, 16710 Coke, 16570 Black dial, Datejust 41 Wimbledon dial, Tudor Black Bay GMT, Tudor Black Bay 58 Blue, Tudor Black Bay 58 925, Tudor Prince Date Chronograph (panda dial)
timlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2020, 05:35 PM   #28
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
I bought my son a BB58 for his 21st. He’s now getting himself the new blue 58. I think it’s a great decision and plenty different enough to justify. Also means he can have one on a metal bracelet and one on either leather or Nato without constantly having to mess around with strap changes.

For a smaller wrist, the BB58 is a brilliant size. I’m really tempted to get one. Arguably it shouldn’t have a place in my collection (a few Rolex, AP’s, and a Patek) but...it is the perfect size for me and looks incredible. In fact, decision made! I’m getting one!

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2020, 07:00 PM   #29
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
Arguably it shouldn’t have a place in my collection (a few Rolex, AP’s, and a Patek)

This is wrong ....
I own a few Patek ( and pretty special ones :-) ), AP, several Rolex, FP Journe and others like JLC, Zenith, IWC,.....

It started in 2012 when they made the black bay . Today I own 20 Tudors and enjoy them as much as a 5070P, 5131P and the rest
Old 18 July 2020, 07:20 PM   #30
terrywoods
"TRF" Member

Saw one in a UK ADs window the watch looks great, all but the rivet bracelet
terrywoods is offline   Reply With Quote