The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 January 2020, 10:31 AM   #61
nworbled
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
My humble predictions for a 2021 50th anniversary edition of the Explorer II:

3285 movement
Green GMT hand
Green "Explorer II" lettering on the dial

It doesn't make sense to put a Cerachrome bezel on a watch that was designed to be a true tool watch so I'm guessing/hoping that Rolex doesn't add a ceramic bezel. And I'm also guessing/hoping that it stays in stainless steel with no PM alternatives. I'm not sure if it will stay 42mm or drop down to 40mm (maybe they can use the same case as the 126710 GMT Master II line).

I'm hoping to buy a Grand Seiko this year (60th anniversary of GS) and the new Explorer II in 2021. Fingers crossed.
nworbled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 11:19 AM   #62
Fallranger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk (116610LV)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlatitude View Post
Rolex design department have not been doing themselves any favours these last few years. They have thrown dignity onto the fickle fire of fashion and abandoned their long standing strategy of keeping everything very conservative and classic. Consequently, like Omega have found to their cost, some models will not endure the future decades well.

So, I am not very hopeful that anything I welcome will be produced. My ideal would be a return to the dimensions and looks of the 16570 in polar and also black with modern build standards and movements. The current model is too big and the proportions of the hands are all off.

I agree with your assessment. I prefer the looks of the older Batman with Oyster and the jubilee on the latest models isn’t something I appreciate.

My prediction is an update to the Submariner movement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 26 January 2020, 11:22 AM   #63
Fallranger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk (116610LV)
I also predict that no matter what comes out none of us will be able to get one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 26 January 2020, 12:17 PM   #64
DoraTheExplorerII
"TRF" Member

They'll make a 100% titanium case and bracelet for both colors of the Explorer II.
DoraTheExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 12:25 PM   #65
Nothingfancy01
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date
I guess I will be holding onto my polar explorer II 216570... and loving it with respect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nothingfancy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 01:31 PM   #66
DJ39
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
Many predicted Explorer II would get upgrade this year, but smarter to wait for 50th anniversary in 2021. Finally respect will be coming to the Explorer II.

Here’s my prediction fir Explorer II at Baselworld 2021:
1. Black Ceramic Bezel (fixed)
2. Both black and white dials (no change)
3. Watch remains 42mm
4. Brushed oyster or OF bracelet with Glidelock 10mm (first Rolex to offer choice)
5. 3287 movement with 70hr power reserve
6. Reference will be 226570

Price will be $9,375 and will be impossible to source, like SS Pepsi and SS Daytona.

Great prediction, but it is a year and a half away.
DJ39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2020, 12:41 PM   #67
bluemoonhops
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamorama View Post
To put a black ceramic bezel on Explorer II would be too lazy, too predictable and not in line with the spirit of the watch. I think Rolex will surprise us. Or why not keep this one in steel?

I'm pretty certain I will be buying next gen Explorer II whatever it is.. my 16570 polar needs a black companion.
I just added a Explorer II Black face to compliment the Explorer White face
bluemoonhops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2020, 01:57 AM   #68
Muzikman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub (116610LN)
Dunno if bazel will happen in 2021 now but was checking a few videos on explorer series, both 1 & 2.
Explorer 1 if comes out with a blue dial, and maybe also TT in yellow gold, would look super. I’d totally consider it. Blue dial will make it a hot piece and explorer range will be suddenly noticed and in demand! The explorer 2, if comes with a black ceramic bezel, dunno how it’d look. I mean rolex will make it look good only for sure but I’m hoping maybe they’ll come out with a two tone of the same white face with gold bezel instead and gold hands. That’d look killer too!

Muzikman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2020, 02:19 AM   #69
CaptT
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

+ for keeping the bezel as-is on the Exp2 (no move to ceramic). Perhaps, in their effort to evolve, Rolex is able to make the stainless bezel scratch-proof (a la ceramic) without materially changing the composition.

Lume on the bezel? Like the idea, if it doesn’t change the current esthetics.

And I’d be interested in a titanium version (haven’t owned a full titanium watch though).
CaptT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2020, 02:45 AM   #70
wisguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamorama View Post
To put a black ceramic bezel on Explorer II would be too lazy, too predictable and not in line with the spirit of the watch. I think Rolex will surprise us. Or why not keep this one in steel?

I'm pretty certain I will be buying next gen Explorer II whatever it is.. my 16570 polar needs a black companion.
Lazy is what defines Rolex releases, so I think it's likely to happen.
Old 15 March 2020, 02:57 AM   #71
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
I could see most of that playing out, minus the ceramic bezel. Its steel bezel has always been a part of the look and I don’t see that ever changing.

AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2020, 03:31 AM   #72
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Why in general Rolex Basel releases over the past 15-20 years have been very disappointing, with no real new watches only cosmetically changed old ones.
+1 I must say that if they put a bracelet on the new Yacht Master I will more than likely be excited but I won't hold my breath. .
socalwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2020, 05:17 AM   #73
Mr DateJust
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Ceramic on the Explorer II isn’t a good look. The steel bezel sets it apart from the other sport models. Plus it’s supposed to be the rugged model. Ceramic is scratch resistance but brittle. Steel scratches up but it isn’t going to shatter or break.
Mr DateJust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2020, 07:54 AM   #74
GMT Aviator

I have a black dial 42mm Exp2 in the collection and love it. I don't for a second think anything about it is disproportionate. It's a very well thought out design.
With respect to an update I think its 50/50 whether or not Rolex would replace the steel bezel with a ceramic one. Whichever way they swing with that, the sales jargon will define the material used as the correct choice for the watch. The mock-ups I've seen of a black ceramic bezel look good, but I agree it would detract from the DNA of the watch if it were to be, but I think Rolex will sacrifice the DNA argument to effect they changes they want.
As for scaling down the size to 40mm I think that would be a bold move on the part of Rolex. More so than going for a ceramic bezel.
This leaves Rolex with little room for manoeuvre unless they effect a complete redesign of the watch and start from scratch.
I would suggest the new PM yachtmaster may be the basis of a newly designed Explorer 2.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2020, 10:39 AM   #75
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
Many predicted Explorer II would get upgrade this year, but smarter to wait for 50th anniversary in 2021. Finally respect will be coming to the Explorer II.

Here’s my prediction fir Explorer II at Baselworld 2021:
1. Black Ceramic Bezel (fixed)
2. Both black and white dials (no change)
3. Watch remains 42mm
4. Brushed oyster or OF bracelet with Glidelock 10mm (first Rolex to offer choice)
5. 3287 movement with 70hr power reserve
6. Reference will be 226570

Price will be $9,375 and will be impossible to source, like SS Pepsi and SS Daytona.

Funny thing Mark you could be correct
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2020, 11:14 AM   #76
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228206meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Why in general Rolex Basel releases over the past 15-20 years have been very disappointing, with no real new watches only cosmetically changed old ones.
come on peter.

skydweller!!

Old 8 June 2020, 06:42 PM   #77
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16753; Bellini Dia
I’d like to see a return to the square markers of the 1655 with 12 smaller hour markers. This would basically result in an upscaled 1655 — which I think would be killer. They won’t do that, though, because they always look forward (allegedly).

I’m not into the ceramic bezel. I’d like to see the 3285 thrown in with a rubber movement mounting grommet (like Bremont’s), and I’d also like to see lumed 0-24 on the bezel — however none of that will likely happen either.

What will likely happen is a green gmt hand or ‘Explorer II’ in green. Either of which would be trite and off-putting.

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
shedlock2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 04:11 AM   #78
samcarlos
"TRF" Member

could there be a white dial sub with black bezel?? that would be sweet mimicking the panda daytona....
samcarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 04:43 AM   #79
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
A GREEN 24 hour hand for 50th anniversary . Metal bezel stays.42mm.New movement (Who cares ? )
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 10:07 AM   #80
CaptT

I'd guess we could see any one or a combination of the following:

- upgrade movement (w/ introduction of the crown between "Swiss" and "Made")
- wider bracelet (+1-2mm at claps, so slightly less of a taper from lugs)
- some new revolutionary coating that Rolex applies to make the stainless bezel virtually scratch-proof (like "tegimented" for Sinn, Diashield for Seiko, etc)
- retirement of either white or black model with some other color substituted instead (like rhodium grey, or green)
- removal of arrows on the bezel, replaced with small lines similar to 1655
CaptT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 10:36 AM   #81
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
I would like to see Rolex introduce a 36MM OP Date with some sort of new style engraved bezel (such as an updated engine turned bezel).
And, or, I would like to see some new dial options for the current 36MM OP, as well as 36MM OP with Jubilee bracelet.
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 11:10 AM   #82
Psijason
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seamster 300 Green
No one knows but I'd love to see a ceramic bezel added to the Explorer 11. For all we know Basil's replacement might get cancelled also.
Psijason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 11:18 AM   #83
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Well the Daytona went ceramic after many years and the world didn't end. I wouldn't mind at all if the Exp II got a ceramic bezel (and ideally with lumed numerals). I mean, really, who actually buys one as caving equipment? It's just a fantasy/romantic image. I would like to see a Triplock crown, for aesthetics and to align with the rest of the pro/sport range.
Old 9 June 2020, 11:20 AM   #84
Jfo122
Banned

The Exp2 is spectacular because it has a steel bezel. Any colour other than a black ceramic bezel would look scary. A New GMT2 LN with a rotating bezel would be much more desirable than a similar looking Exp2. Therefore a steel bezel is likely the only sensible choice. Also Ceramic without a metal bezel surround has obvious durability issues for a watch like the Exp2.
Jfo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 11:38 AM   #85
rockmastermike
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1982 16750
Shiny bezel on EXPII is just wrong.....leave it as is or if Rolex simply has to do ceramic at least brush it so its a matte finish
rockmastermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 11:44 AM   #86
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmastermike View Post
Shiny bezel on EXPII is just wrong.....leave it as is or if Rolex simply has to do ceramic at least brush it so its a matte finish
I think if they go ceramic it will probably be given a textured finish, perhaps like the Tudor Pelagos or even a 'radial brush' look similar to the steel bezel.
Old 9 June 2020, 11:46 AM   #87
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Yay let’s put a bezel that will fail/break 1000 times easier than the SS bezel....seems stupid
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 11:58 AM   #88
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Yay let’s put a bezel that will fail/break 1000 times easier than the SS bezel....seems stupid
Doesn't seem to have been an issue with the Daytona. Rolex are obviously committed to using Cerachrom, although I wouldn't be surprised if they kept the Exp II steel bezel going for longer.
Old 9 June 2020, 12:12 PM   #89
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Baselworld 2021 prediction - Year Explorer II gets ceramic (50th Anniversary) and fin

I feel like I’ve already replied to this but I just cannot reiterate enough how stupid a caving watch with a ceramic bezel would be......
And yes that’s what it is and why it was originally designed with a giant orange gmt hand and fixed steel bezel....so you can know if it’s day or night under ground.....

Brittle ceramic + rock = expensive

Regardless of whether anyone uses it that way anymore or not, it’s still what it’s made for.
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2020, 12:25 PM   #90
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airchitect View Post
I feel like I’ve already replied to this but I just cannot reiterate enough how stupid a caving watch with a ceramic bezel would be......
And yes that’s what it is and why it was originally designed with a giant orange gmt hand and fixed steel bezel....so you can know if it’s day or night under ground.....

Brittle ceramic + rock = expensive

Regardless of whether anyone uses it that way anymore or not, it’s still what it’s made for.

Amen. My eyes roll every time I see anything about a ceramic bezel on the ExII. It makes no sense.

I’ll look really stupid if they actually do it. I’ll take that risk.

AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
land-dweller , rolex 2020