The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 July 2020, 02:31 AM   #91
zjd168
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
What is his wrist size?

How could nobody ask this on a watch forum?!?
because that is not important at all. I wear watch from 32mm cellini to 47mm PAM. With proper clothing they all look cool.
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 02:32 AM   #92
GolfJunkie
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 252
Either a 114060 or a 214270.
GolfJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 02:47 AM   #93
Xenon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennW2009 View Post
I really appreciate all the suggestions and feedback! The 41mm Datejust, blue dial, fluted bezel and 39mm Oyster Perpetual, white/silver dial are rising to the top for me. The Submariners he looks at seem to be special-edition types, so I'll save those, the Batman, and Daytona for when I'm feeling especially generous

Thoughts on jubilee vs oyster bracelet?
These are the options what you chose. The OP 39 does not come with a silver dial but rather a rhodium grey dial.
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 02:52 AM   #94
LOWERCASE GUY
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ41- champagne
Quote:
What is his wrist size?

Check out his current collection, he has a wide variety of case sizes in his collection already.
LOWERCASE GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 02:54 AM   #95
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletfire View Post
i think the collection would benefit from a blue dial datejust 41mm, i think you would be hard pressed to find a watch collector who wouldn't appreciate one.
+1.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41 White/Romans
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 03:16 AM   #96
RaZCaL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500,116610,VCO
Quote:
I really appreciate all the suggestions and feedback! The 41mm Datejust, blue dial, fluted bezel and 39mm Oyster Perpetual, white/silver dial are rising to the top for me. The Submariners he looks at seem to be special-edition types, so I'll save those, the Batman, and Daytona for when I'm feeling especially generous

Thoughts on jubilee vs oyster bracelet?
Jubilee for dressy and Oyster for sporty. Jubilee dial may be more comfortable and lighter. What do you think your husband would prefer? Personally I would go for the oyster on the Datejust with fluted bezel and blue dial. I feel the oyster is more casual and easier to wear with everything.
RaZCaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 04:09 AM   #97
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
definitely this one
Isn’t that the new Panerai
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 04:30 AM   #98
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Help me pick a watch for my husband

What about a Yachtmaster?

Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 04:38 AM   #99
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaZCaL View Post
Jubilee for dressy and Oyster for sporty. Jubilee dial may be more comfortable and lighter. What do you think your husband would prefer? Personally I would go for the oyster on the Datejust with fluted bezel and blue dial. I feel the oyster is more casual and easier to wear with everything.
100% agree with this

After my suggestion on the blue dial DJ at 41mm. Spec it with the flute bezel for flare and pair it with a oyster bracelet to keep the look casual

The jubilee is the obvious choice and it is incredible but it is very flashy and classic Rolex. That’s a good thing but for me, the oyster really balances it out with and puts focus on the gorgeous blue dial and fluted bezel.

That oyster is perfect once you get past the jubilee. The polished centre links gives it some flare but a relaxed look.

What I’m trying to say is put a blue dial with jubilee and fluted bezel and it’s going to be pretty stand out in shorts and tee, like a dress watch in a very dressed down environment. Oyster not so much, it works in all occasions.

Just my opinions.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 04:41 AM   #100
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post

Consider a Yacht-Master; I agree!!! Below's mine received in the past week.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 04:48 AM   #101
Mperry10
"TRF" Member

I would go for either a JLC Reverso or a Mont Blanc Geosphere 1858 blue
Mperry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 04:53 AM   #102
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
100% agree with this

After my suggestion on the blue dial DJ at 41mm. Spec it with the flute bezel for flare and pair it with a oyster bracelet to keep the look casual

The jubilee is the obvious choice and it is incredible but it is very flashy and classic Rolex. That’s a good thing but for me, the oyster really balances it out with and puts focus on the gorgeous blue dial and fluted bezel.

That oyster is perfect once you get past the jubilee. The polished centre links gives it some flare but a relaxed look.

What I’m trying to say is put a blue dial with jubilee and fluted bezel and it’s going to be pretty stand out in shorts and tee, like a dress watch in a very dressed down environment. Oyster not so much, it works in all occasions.

Just my opinions.
He has so many other watches for casual, that is why I think fluted and jubilee. I have a 114060 for more casual and 41 for more dress, but have to tell you I think it is really fine casual or dress. Look at the new gmts and the jubilee. I am sure people wear those with jeans.
JRell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 04:54 AM   #103
JRell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post

Wow that blue against the gray really pops!
Old 9 July 2020, 04:59 AM   #104
jmed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wow! Thanks so much for the quick responses! I think I would like to keep it under $7-8k. I have noticed him eyeing submariners and think he would like a Datejust, but it would need to or large as he bought me a 36mm for Christmas (see pic). He isn’t really a two-tone kind of guy so I don’t think his and hers will work here. I LOVE the blue dial datejust and think the silver or white would be nice too.

$7-8K is a lot of money, for some it may be pocket change, for others out of reach. You’ll get many great suggestions here base on PERSONAL PREFERENCE, absolutely nothing wrong with that...and ultimately you know your husband better than anyone and what he likes.....might I suggest something different, let him know the price range, or speak with your AD before hand and have them pull several models aside that fit your budget, then take your husband in and let him pick the watch he wants out within that range. It is a very nice gesture for such a purchase, and I’m sure a watch he’ll keep forever as it was a gift from you. As an owner of numerous watches I’ve picked out each one for a specific reason, I would love if my wife offered me a watch, I’m just not sure she would pick out what I’d truly want and wear, and I’d never want to hurt her feelings in any way, again you’re spending a decent amount of money. Just a different way to approach, either way good luck
jmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 05:02 AM   #105
CalSRQ1

Watch: 5513
Just a suggestion no matter the reference you choose....have the back engraved. I’d love it if my spouse did that and would make the watch so much more special to me. Others will disagree here, but I think it personalizes the gift.
CalSRQ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 05:04 AM   #106
JRell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalSRQ1 View Post
Just a suggestion no matter the reference you choose....have the back engraved. I’d love it if my spouse did that and would make the watch so much more special to me. Others will disagree here, but I think it personalizes the gift.
I agree! I know it might hurt resale value, but this is a very special gift and really love the idea.
Old 9 July 2020, 05:54 AM   #107
JohnnyM
Banned

Watch: All the good ones
Time for a Rolex obviously. You will have to go to several dealers but maybe you can find a steel Datejust 41 or an Explorer. Get what you can he will love either.
JohnnyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 05:59 AM   #108
emtee
"TRF" Member

Might have already been said but watches are very personal to a man. Ask him what he wants and then get him that. Otherwise it may just turn out to be a gift that he has to pretend he likes because the one he loves bought it for him. And that’s not good for either party.
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 06:00 AM   #109
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
For $7K you're greatly restricted in Rolex as what you can buy. You might be able to find an Oyster Perpetual or a Air King in that neighborhood. Both are great watches; I'm certain he'll be really happy with it.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 06:46 AM   #110
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Help me pick a watch for my husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
For $7K you're greatly restricted in Rolex as what you can buy. You might be able to find an Oyster Perpetual or a Air King in that neighborhood. Both are great watches; I'm certain he'll be really happy with it.

Well Lee, it all depends on new versus pre-loved piece. On pre-loved $7k can bring to the equation several nice pieces such as Datejust, Explorer I / II, Yachtmaster or even Subs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 07:05 AM   #111
Xenon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
I can buy any dial 39mm Oyster Perpetual from my grey dealer right this minute for $6,300 and have it tomorrow.
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 09:01 AM   #112
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
What is his wrist size?

He owns a Panerai and every other sized watch, so probably all we need to know. The only thing I don't see is a classic sized dress watch under 36mm. Any Rolex >40mm is out of her price range. She said the DJ41 and OP39 are top of her current list, so we know ~39mm works well. Wrist size, would only be relevant if she was considering DJ36 or YM37, though the latter is out of her price range as well.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 09:44 AM   #113
THC

Watch: 16610M
I think we all scared the WIFE OF THE YEAR away..

Ms Jenn, you are wonderful, and he will enjoy whatever you gift him
THC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 10:22 AM   #114
JakeK
"TRF" Member

Watch: VCO
I'm currently saving up for my first Rolex. It will be pre-owned for sure. One that definitely caught my eye was a Datejust 116234 with a silver roman dial on the jubilee bracelet. I also really like the blue dial Datejust too. Those would be my two choices.
JakeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 11:37 AM   #115
JennW2009
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
I think we all scared the WIFE OF THE YEAR away..

Ms Jenn, you are wonderful, and he will enjoy whatever you gift him
Ha! Not scared away, just busy tending to young children and a husband! :) I am feeling a bit overwhelmed after seeing all the options available though. I am starting to question if I should limit my search to Rolex or go with something else. $7-8k seems like A LOT to spend on something that may or may not hit the spot. Should I hold off and wait until I can go for what I think he really wants (Coke/Pepsi/Root Beer GMT)?

Last edited by JennW2009; 9 July 2020 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: Added a question
JennW2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 12:09 AM   #116
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Ha! Not scared away, just busy tending to young children and a husband! :) I am feeling a bit overwhelmed after seeing all the options available though. I am starting to question if I should limit my search to Rolex or go with something else. $7-8k seems like A LOT to spend on something that may or may not hit the spot. Should I hold off and wait until I can go for what I think he really wants (Coke/Pepsi/Root Beer GMT)?
Just my perspective but I would avoid other brands. Your husband has a good collection already, so I’d keep saving towards another Rolex if those in your price range aren’t ideal. I do think any watch enthusiasts would have a tough time finding fault with a DateJust, it’s the classic Rolex. Btw if my wife were to purchase me a watch, I’d love it regardless bc of the thought behind.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 12:36 AM   #117
Mr Wolf
"TRF" Member

Watch: It!
Why not Tudor BB GMT as someone else suggested, or even a Pelagos blue. either will jazz his collation up a little. You could buy both within your budget.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2163 copy.jpg (107.0 KB, 128 views)
Mr Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 01:02 AM   #118
Mr. Drunmond
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Should I hold off and wait until I can go for what I think he really wants (Coke/Pepsi/Root Beer GMT)?
Yes. Don't spend 8k on a watch that truly isn't what he wants.
Mr. Drunmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 01:06 AM   #119
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is definitely the safest way to go...you know best how "picky" he may be. But seriously, it does make sense for you to feel him out to get a better idea of what he might be dreaming of, and then time your purchase to be coincident with financial comfort and desires. I do think that, unless he's anti-Rolex, that Rolex is the way to go at this point in his collection. Best wishes!

Last edited by Oyster Sauce; 10 July 2020 at 01:07 AM.. Reason: typo
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 02:05 AM   #120
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Quote:
Yep, 100%. Better to wait for what you think he really wants. If he wants one of those GMTs, a DJ or OP isn't going to compare.