The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 July 2020, 06:57 AM   #121
LOWERCASE GUY
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ41- champagne
Can you not show him the images of the two you are considering and pretend to casually gauge his opinion. Like ask your friend to post them on their own IG private story as a purchase they are considering or something or would that be too obvious/devious?

No doubt he'd give his honest opinion and give you more feedback on his own likes/dislikes.
LOWERCASE GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 08:00 AM   #122
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Perhaps a Stainless Steel Skydweller if it has to be a Rolex
Depends upon the budget I suppose.
You will need to factor in a new/bigger watchbox as well
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 08:17 AM   #123
alwinnng
"TRF" Member

Rhodium, blue, redgrape op39

His collection pretty much black/white/dark blue only

Something with different coloured dial..

Can consider 36mm white grape/champagne dial colour as well
alwinnng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 08:27 AM   #124
lencap
"TRF" Member

Jenn -

You are wonderful to try to find the perfect gift for your husband's 35th birthday, and I'm sure whatever you decide will be ideal.

I had the same thought and wanted to get a special gift for my wife's 30th birthday. I planned to surprise her with a watch, but at that stage of our life together we had never had the opportunity to splurge on a luxury purchase. This was to be my first plunge, and I wanted it to be something we'd both remember, so I didn't want to make a mistake.

The more I thought about it I realized that, for us, it was better if I shared my thoughts with her and we went together to the jeweler to find "The Watch". And so we did, and she decided that the Rolex 24mm Gold/Silver DateJust/Jubilee was perfect for her (they no longer make that size - my wife is very petite in stature and it fits here well). I'm glad I asked her to pick it out because I wouldn't have selected the watch she did. She loved her watch so much that she encourage me to buy a 36mm DJ for me, and I did.

Her birthday was last month, and she's been wearing her watch every day since then for 39 years. And the fun we had all those years ago sharing the excitement of a significant purchase has been a memory that is priceless. This year I'll celebrate my 70th birthday, and a little more than a year from now our 50th anniversary. I offered to update her watch to a new model, but she doesn't want to. "It's mine, and I love every memory I've had with it. Nothing can replace that." My watch is now on my son's wrist - a gift for his 21st birthday nearly 25 years ago. We enjoy seeing how these watches have become part of the family's memories for each of us.

I wish you the same the same joy.
lencap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 08:32 AM   #125
LOWERCASE GUY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lencap View Post
Jenn -

You are wonderful to try to find the perfect gift for your husband's 35th birthday, and I'm sure whatever you decide will be ideal.

I had the same thought and wanted to get a special gift for my wife's 30th birthday. I planned to surprise her with a watch, but at that stage of our life together we had never had the opportunity to splurge on a luxury purchase. This was to be my first plunge, and I wanted it to be something we'd both remember, so I didn't want to make a mistake.

The more I thought about it I realized that, for us, it was better if I shared my thoughts with her and we went together to the jeweler to find "The Watch". And so we did, and she decided that the Rolex 24mm Gold/Silver DateJust/Jubilee was perfect for her (they no longer make that size - my wife is very petite in stature and it fits here well). I'm glad I asked her to pick it out because I wouldn't have selected the watch she did. She loved her watch so much that she encourage me to buy a 36mm DJ for me, and I did.

Her birthday was last month, and she's been wearing her watch every day since then for 39 years. And the fun we had all those years ago sharing the excitement of a significant purchase has been a memory that is priceless. This year I'll celebrate my 70th birthday, and a little more than a year from now our 50th anniversary. I offered to update her watch to a new model, but she doesn't want to. "It's mine, and I love every memory I've had with it. Nothing can replace that." My watch is now on my son's wrist - a gift for his 21st birthday nearly 25 years ago. We enjoy seeing how these watches have become part of the family's memories for each of us.

These stories warm my soul. If anyone should question the justification of a luxury watch purchase they should be directed to this post.
Old 10 July 2020, 08:37 AM   #126
Warregl
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing
Quote:
Jenn -

What a great story! You are a true gentleman sir.
Warregl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 10:34 AM   #127
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennW2009 View Post
Ha! Not scared away, just busy tending to young children and a husband! :) I am feeling a bit overwhelmed after seeing all the options available though. I am starting to question if I should limit my search to Rolex or go with something else. $7-8k seems like A LOT to spend on something that may or may not hit the spot. Should I hold off and wait until I can go for what I think he really wants (Coke/Pepsi/Root Beer GMT)?
Good for you to get him a watch! Unless you’re willing to spend about $8k, you will be limited in your choices of Rolexes. Even the blue DJ is almost $10k at retail and is not easy to find.

Also, not to burst your bubble, but other than the Rootbeer, all the other watches you listed are WAY above list and all are in the $14-18k range. Unless you have a FANTASTIC relationship with you AD, you will have to purchase those watches on the secondary market.

However, people have suggested Tudor and I think it would be a fabulous choice. Tudor is a Rolex company and most would agree that they have that old Rolex vibe and provide a ton of value for your money.

The two I’d consider would be the Tudor GMT and Black Bay 58 in blue. Both watches are obtainable albeit with a wait and are way under your budget. In fact, you could get them both and be at the $8k range.

Your husband is a lucky guy. Good luck!
Phooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 11:13 AM   #128
JennW2009
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Perhaps a Stainless Steel Skydweller if it has to be a Rolex
Depends upon the budget I suppose.
You will need to factor in a new/bigger watchbox as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnorpheus View Post
8k limits it pretty significantly for Rolex. Fluted bezel is out for the DJ41. If you want a Sub at 8 will have to wait out the AD. Would go further with other brands. Bump it up to 10k and you have more options that you can actually acquire right now.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg poor.jpg (15.5 KB, 299 views)
JennW2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 11:24 AM   #129
JennW2009
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Jenn -

Thank you for sharing your experience and the well wishes; very heartfelt! After reading several suggestions here to ask my husband about his personal preferences, I did just that last night. He tried on all of the watches in his current collection and explained that they are each special to him because of the thought and work I have put into obtaining them for him. I have no idea if they are exactly what he would have picked out for himself and he is too kind to say otherwise. Honestly, I think I am the lucky one :).
Old 10 July 2020, 11:27 AM   #130
JennW2009
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnorpheus View Post
Yep, 100%. Better to wait for what you think he really wants. If he wants one of those GMTs, a DJ or OP isn't going to compare.
Thanks! I asked him to give me his top 3 Rolex models and none of them were in the range I am looking at. I'll keep adding coins to my piggy bank for now! :)
Old 10 July 2020, 12:15 PM   #131
west8720
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, 16750
OK listen carefully....., are you listening? Submariner date! He will thank you everyday. 😀 (just my humble opinion) Good luck and which ever one you get, he’s going to love it!
west8720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 12:36 PM   #132
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsthetime? View Post
Good recommendation. She could also get it with the blue dial, which she mentioned she liked regarding the DJ.

Attachment 1147520
That would be a splendid choice, I think.
Lew Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 12:37 PM   #133
JennW2009
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by west8720 View Post
OK listen carefully....., are you listening? Submariner date! He will thank you everyday. 😀 (just my humble opinion) Good luck and which ever one you get, he’s going to love it!
Well, well, well. I pour him a bourbon and he agrees with this. Men... haha
Old 10 July 2020, 01:12 PM   #134
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Help me pick a watch for my husband

Quote:
Thanks! I asked him to give me his top 3 Rolex models and none of them were in the range I am looking at. I'll keep adding coins to my piggy bank for now! :)

You can get a 14060m in your price range. One of the greatest subs in my opinion as it is not vintage and not modern. Just classic.

For the gmts, your looking at 50-70%+ increase of your budget for a good condition watch.

If that is okay with you, 100% wait.

Otherwise, explorer 1 ($7-8k) is truly special (though understated, which can be a turn off to some). 14060m($7500-9k+), 116610ln ($10k+), 114300 white($6500) has one of the greatest dials in the Rolex line up, 16570 is an awesome GMT ($6500-7500) to name a few great options.

Also, download Chrono24 and watchbase on phone to get an idea of the used market prices. Great tools.
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 05:35 AM   #135
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Which ones were they?
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 11:51 AM   #136
JennW2009
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
Which ones were they?
Pepsi GMT on Oyster Bracelet is his current favorite followed by Submariner with date and to round it out nicely.... Everose Root Beer
Old 11 July 2020, 12:23 PM   #137
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Pepsi GMT on Oyster Bracelet is his current favorite followed by Submariner with date and to round it out nicely.... Everose Root Beer
All three are fan favorites here - best wishes on this journey!
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 12:24 PM   #138
givemeawatch
"TRF" Member

Hi jenn, if I was your hubby, and you got me a subby, you will get lots of lovin with my subby lol
givemeawatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 01:08 AM   #139
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Geez 2 PM options there lol Submariner Date may be the way to go in SS or TT. Love mine. Good luck in your search
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 02:43 AM   #140
Rolexatlast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Excellent choices, but a Pepsi GMT would be unobtainable from an AD and significantly above budget at a grey dealer.

SubC date is the obvious choice. Although I have the non-date version, which I prefer for the symmetry of the dial. That might be an option, which has the bonus of a lower price
Rolexatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 10:46 PM   #141
LOWERCASE GUY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Pepsi on oyster bracelet is only available in white gold i think. Sure is a good looking watch though, especially with that meteorite dial, an absolute stunner.
Old 14 July 2020, 11:48 AM   #142
JennW2009
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wolf View Post
Why not Tudor BB GMT as someone else suggested, or even a Pelagos blue. either will jazz his collation up a little. You could buy both within your budget.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamorama View Post
Tudor Black Bay GMT would be a good one. Haven’t followed the thread though.

Btw, nice of you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So, I have spent the last few days thinking about watch options and would still really like to get my husband a watch for his birthday. I shared with him that I was considering an Omega Planet Ocean or Aqua Terra blue teak and he mentioned that in that range, he does like the Tudor BB GMT as well. I have read a few reviews but other than that, don't know much about Tudor. Convince me one way or the other....

P.S. my apologies if I am not referencing watches appropriately; I'm trying to learn the lingo! :)
Old 14 July 2020, 12:29 PM   #143
bay-dweller
"TRF" Member

I would suggest you buy a submariner produced in his birth year. If my math is right this is 1985.
They can be had for $9k and up.
Clearly he likes dive watches.
That would be really special!
bay-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 12:33 PM   #144
ScarletFire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bay-dweller View Post
I would suggest you buy a submariner produced in his birth year. If my math is right this is 1985.
They can be had for $9k and up.
Clearly he likes dive watches.
That would be really special!

Vintage isn’t for everyone, I would go Tudor GMT before going this route IMHO

ScarletFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 12:37 PM   #145
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
Quote:
So, I have spent the last few days thinking about watch options and would still really like to get my husband a watch for his birthday. I shared with him that I was considering an Omega Planet Ocean or Aqua Terra blue teak and he mentioned that in that range, he does like the Tudor BB GMT as well. I have read a few reviews but other than that, don't know much about Tudor. Convince me one way or the other....

P.S. my apologies if I am not referencing watches appropriately; I'm trying to learn the lingo! :)

Get him a submariner. It’s in your price range and he will treasure it more. Some say the Tudor is a lesser of a watch then a Rolex. If he wants a Rolex only a Rolex will scratch that itch. You will save money in the long run. If you buy him the Tudor he will still want a Rolex. It’s hard to explain. I have watches that are considered “better then Rolex” yet I always wear my Rolex. A SUB ND (no date) is about $7500 retail I believe.

The key is that he said he liked a watch in that range. In other words he would be settling. YOLO. Every collection needs at least one sub. I have 2. 3 if you count my 43mm sub. Lol

teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 01:31 PM   #146
RaZCaL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500,116610,VCO
Agreed.....get the Sub if you can. You will not regret it and he will love it! :)
RaZCaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 08:35 PM   #147
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Help me pick a watch for my husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWERCASE GUY View Post
Pepsi on oyster bracelet is only available in white gold i think.

That is correct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 08:57 PM   #148
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Omega seamaster.
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 09:30 PM   #149
LOWERCASE GUY
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The Planet Ocean is Omega's equivalent to the Rolex Deep Sea. It's a polarizing piece and kind of risky, right up my street I may add but defo not for everyone.

Tudor (sister company to Rolex) went in a new direction in 2010 and started producing heritage pieces harking back to the early days which struck a cord with the watch industry, they've been unstoppable ever since.

The Tudor BB GMT took off like a rocket when it launched at Baselworld in 2018: featuring a now-iconic bicolour bezel and fitted with Tudor’s trademark snowflake hands, it was a true show stopper.

Tudors are truly awesome. The regular BB's are 41mm and the BB 58's are 39mm (& hard to get). I prefer the 41mm but most prefer the 39mm as it is a homage piece and more traditionally sized. Personally, I think the size is a preference thing.

I'm a big Omega fan too but have a preference towards the Tudors. They also hold their value more (if that's a factor) but that doesn't really come into my decision making at all. To me, they (Omega & Tudor) have different target audiences but, yes, are similarly priced.
Old 16 July 2020, 12:36 PM   #150
JennW2009
"TRF" Member

Icon6

Quote:
Originally Posted by teabags001 View Post
Get him a submariner. It’s in your price range and he will treasure it more. Some say the Tudor is a lesser of a watch then a Rolex. If he wants a Rolex only a Rolex will scratch that itch. You will save money in the long run. If you buy him the Tudor he will still want a Rolex. It’s hard to explain. I have watches that are considered “better then Rolex” yet I always wear my Rolex. A SUB ND (no date) is about $7500 retail I believe.

The key is that he said he liked a watch in that range. In other words he would be settling. YOLO. Every collection needs at least one sub. I have 2. 3 if you count my 43mm sub. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWERCASE GUY View Post
The Planet Ocean is Omega's equivalent to the Rolex Deep Sea. It's a polarizing piece and kind of risky, right up my street I may add but defo not for everyone.

Tudor (sister company to Rolex) went in a new direction in 2010 and started producing heritage pieces harking back to the early days which struck a cord with the watch industry, they've been unstoppable ever since.

The Tudor BB GMT took off like a rocket when it launched at Baselworld in 2018: featuring a now-iconic bicolour bezel and fitted with Tudor’s trademark snowflake hands, it was a true show stopper.

Tudors are truly awesome. The regular BB's are 41mm and the BB 58's are 39mm (& hard to get). I prefer the 41mm but most prefer the 39mm as it is a homage piece and more traditionally sized. Personally, I think the size is a preference thing.

I'm a big Omega fan too but have a preference towards the Tudors. They also hold their value more (if that's a factor) but that doesn't really come into my decision making at all. To me, they (Omega & Tudor) have different target audiences but, yes, are similarly priced.
Thanks for the comments and pics! We are going to try on some pieces this weekend and will see what we find out!