The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 14 July 2020, 12:42 PM   #1
dnd2984
2024 Pledge Member

41mm Aquaterra

Hello,

I am trying to expand my collection outside of Rolex and Omega has always had a place in my heart. Our son was born few days ago and I wanted to pick up a watch to celebrate (technically I got the GMT Batman from the AD last month for first father day for this .... and I bought a TT Sub from AD earlier this year when we found out we where pregnant :)) But hey, why not get a post boy is here watch

So thoughts on the 41mm Aquaterra?
https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/w...22010412101001

Thoughts on this watch, comfort? durability? and just overall thoughts.

I tried on a 41mm awhile ago and I thought it was fine.

If I say yes, this watch will be shipped to me, not going to be making a trip to AD.
dnd2984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 12:54 PM   #2
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Its a nice watch, not a lot excites me about it though. That said you have a couple of watches with some colour so if you are looking for a nice daily, its not a bad choice.

Personally I would go for a Moonwatch if you want an Omega.
jimcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 12:56 PM   #3
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Congratulations by the way
jimcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 03:35 PM   #4
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
I recently bought the 38mm variant of the Aqua Terra with white dial. Absolutely love it, killer all-around piece.

Super comfortable, melts on the wrist, thanks to the small lugs and short end-link, keeps the lug-to-lug really short and well proportioned. The bracelet is really buttery/silky and light-weight. I have rarely experienced any pulled hairs, despite my yeti-like hairy arms. The butterfly clasp takes a little while to get used to but I think it's well executed and I've really grown to like it. No micro-adjust on the bracelet so you will have to size it appropriately, but easy to do so with the screw-down links, which are easy to size yourself. One interesting tid-bit is that the "half-links" are actually 2/3rd of a normal link size, so your sizing option is a little better than what you would get if it were truly a "1/2" link (i.e. you can size the bracelet incrementally in 1/3rds of a link).

My wrist is 6.5 inch and I personally prefer the slightly smaller and thinner profile of the 38 mm version. Definitely willing to sacrifice a little power reserve for a thinner profile. I also favor the 8800 caliber due to the conventional quick-set date feature. Frankly, I don't need (or desire) the hour-jumping time set feature that comes with the 41 mm's caliber 8900 movement, which is cumbersome to set the date if you set the watch aside for an extended period of time (particularly as part of a larger collection).

One piece of advice I would have is to buy the watch with the rubber strap option and add a metal bracelet later, if you are even remotely thinking of getting the rubber strap (which you should, because it's awesome). This is the most cost-effective route, as the rubber bracelet + deployant will set you back the same, if not more, than the factory bracelet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg omAT38.jpg (216.3 KB, 509 views)
TimeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 05:47 PM   #5
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Assorted!
+1 on the AT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alpharulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 03:48 AM   #6
giorgio.a
"TRF" Member

Absolutely get the Aqua Terra, wonderful and stunning watch. The finishing is amazing I find.

Like TimeAZ I have the 38mm white dial (with 8800 movement). I’ve had it for a long time (maybe 2 years) and I absolutely love it.

I agree that the 38mm is a much better size. Sporty but also classic, super versatile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
giorgio.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 05:20 AM   #7
wrxdev
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega
Absolutely. I got mine recently and it is the 41mm on a rubber strap. It is simple, subtle and not too flashy and goes under the radar. As TimeAZ mentioned, get the rubber strap one first and a bracelet later, as it is cheaper this way. The rubber strap by itself is crazy expensive.
wrxdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 03:00 PM   #8
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

I have the previous 8500 model with the vertical stripes. It's the white/silver dial with rose gold markers on brown croc strap.

I absolutely love it. It's somewhat thick but I don't feel overly so. It's my more dressy option but its very very versatile.

Omega's anti-reflective coating is crazy good. These ATs always look way better in person than they do on any photo. There's a quality to them that you can't pick up on photos.

I say go for it.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2020, 03:24 PM   #9
wesdaniel
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
I'm a big fan of Omega - I have 4 of them and enjoy wearing them as much as I enjoy my Rolex wathces. I don't have this particular reference, but would definitely consider adding it.

And, congratulations!
wesdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 12:39 AM   #10
PRabbit
"TRF" Member

I just sold mine two days ago. But I loved the watch. I just didn’t like the version I got. Size is perfect and it went with everything. Display back looks wonderful. I really can’t think of anything wrong with it. Especially as a watch you can wear for almost any situation. I’d recommend it. If I could do it again, I’d get the dark/true blue. I had the slate blue and I could never get over it. I didn’t know there were two different blue dials. If I had the true blue, I have no doubt it would still be in my collection. Below is my slate blue version, still a nice watch as is:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D459361E-8E31-4523-8DC2-47C6F44C559C.jpeg (75.7 KB, 432 views)
File Type: jpeg D11A7E2A-F361-42E1-BB93-853E92707204.jpeg (77.6 KB, 427 views)
PRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 07:07 AM   #11
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
I recently bought the 38mm variant of the Aqua Terra with white dial. Absolutely love it, killer all-around piece.

Super comfortable, melts on the wrist, thanks to the small lugs and short end-link, keeps the lug-to-lug really short and well proportioned. The bracelet is really buttery/silky and light-weight. I have rarely experienced any pulled hairs, despite my yeti-like hairy arms. The butterfly clasp takes a little while to get used to but I think it's well executed and I've really grown to like it. No micro-adjust on the bracelet so you will have to size it appropriately, but easy to do so with the screw-down links, which are easy to size yourself. One interesting tid-bit is that the "half-links" are actually 2/3rd of a normal link size, so your sizing option is a little better than what you would get if it were truly a "1/2" link (i.e. you can size the bracelet incrementally in 1/3rds of a link).

My wrist is 6.5 inch and I personally prefer the slightly smaller and thinner profile of the 38 mm version. Definitely willing to sacrifice a little power reserve for a thinner profile. I also favor the 8800 caliber due to the conventional quick-set date feature. Frankly, I don't need (or desire) the hour-jumping time set feature that comes with the 41 mm's caliber 8900 movement, which is cumbersome to set the date if you set the watch aside for an extended period of time (particularly as part of a larger collection).

One piece of advice I would have is to buy the watch with the rubber strap option and add a metal bracelet later, if you are even remotely thinking of getting the rubber strap (which you should, because it's awesome). This is the most cost-effective route, as the rubber bracelet + deployant will set you back the same, if not more, than the factory bracelet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgio.a View Post
Absolutely get the Aqua Terra, wonderful and stunning watch. The finishing is amazing I find.

Like TimeAZ I have the 38mm white dial (with 8800 movement). I’ve had it for a long time (maybe 2 years) and I absolutely love it.

I agree that the 38mm is a much better size. Sporty but also classic, super versatile.
I have been crushing HARD on the silver/white dial 38mm. Thanks for sharing your detailed thoughts.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 08:55 AM   #12
Drdubzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: BB58, BB36
I have the current gen 41 mm and the 38.5 mm Goodplanet from 2016. I skipped reading the other replies so I could give uninfluenced thoughts.

Timekeeping and movement quality is top notch, all the features of the movement are pretty well documented, it's a stellar machine in that respect.

I think the dial is beautiful, I went for black on stainless so it would be as classic as possible and it was the right choice for me. The lume is excellent, the bezel and indices play with the light and really shine in good light. I think the biggest drawback of the watch is the bracelet. It's very high quality and easy to adjust with screws to adjust links. But the butterfly clasp means no micro-adjustments. It does have two half links though so I've found a good after some fiddling.

Personally, I think the AT is the best offering of regular production Omegas. Though I'm a fan of the Globemaster also. The 8900 movement, for me, is reason to choose the 41 mm over the 38 which has the 8800. The primary difference being the quickset hour hand (which also sets date forward and back) on the 8900 which I prefer to quickset date on the 8800.

Just make sure to get at least 15% of MSRP so skip the boutique

last thing, I have a 6.5 inch wrist and normally the 38 mm would be my size of choice but the 41 mm is under 48 mm L2L so it's pretty tidy.
Old 16 July 2020, 08:58 AM   #13
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
i absolutely love that in gold.
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 10:59 AM   #14
Beo3

Watch: Too Many
I own the 41 in blue on a bracelet and it is by far my favorite in the stable. Well, currently that is.....
Beo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 12:23 PM   #15
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
AT 41mm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 12:24 PM   #16
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
AT 41mm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 03:14 PM   #17
Doc Savage

Watch: Submariner 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beo3 View Post
I own the 41 in blue on a bracelet and it is by far my favorite in the stable. Well, currently that is.....
Same for me, Eddie. The blue 41mm AT is beautiful and elegant. It's more dressy than a Sub or Datejust and also more comfortable to wear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AT on wrist.jpg (197.5 KB, 360 views)

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 05:40 PM   #18
Pilliam
"TRF" Member

dnd2984 -- it's an excellent watch that you'll love. I echo what all others have said: great timekeeping, solid construction, 8900 movement is outstanding, etc. Here's a link to a thread I started recently about my experience with it thus far:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=747981
Pilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2020, 07:21 AM   #19
dutch86
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR
I had one in blue and I loved it. Bought it on the bracelet, but ended up also getting the rubber strap for it. I wore it on the rubber strap 95% of the time. It was SO comfortable!
dutch86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2020, 09:01 PM   #20
chemistrynerd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 41
Always confused on the Aquaterra. Is it a Dud or a Stud?
chemistrynerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2020, 07:27 AM   #21
CKizzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tachymeter
Always wanted the AT GMT Chrono blue dial in 43mm...
CKizzy is offline   Reply With Quote