ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 July 2020, 07:11 AM   #31
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
I’m pretty sure it was meant in humour
I hope it was. But anyone who is bothered by silly nicknames probably doesn’t have a sense of humor
Old 16 July 2020, 07:23 AM   #32
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
I can't believe all that gold Rolex finds in the earth isn't replanted with AU seeds of life to replenish.

I'd be much more concerned about all the cheap items we have in stores and where those come from and how they are made. Ask about the battery in your cell phone as well....
Old 16 July 2020, 07:57 AM   #33
pedrocaguirre
"TRF" Member

Watch: Grandpa's Seiko
Thank you for the links and the info, will take a look into it. To make myself clear, I never thought any waste from Rolex timepieces would end up in land-fields. After all, only the grease to make the mechanism work could remotely pollute chemically? hahaha not an expert though. What I was inquiring about was the origin and means of obtaining the materials used to make these watches. Truth is, as many have mentioned, that diamonds and gold could come from conflictive areas.

Anyways, I hope this thread does call some people's attention and hopefully it builds a nice resource/conversation piece.

Thx!
P.
Old 16 July 2020, 10:07 AM   #34
Paul7
Banned

Personally, I couldn't care less about the OP question. Let's keep politics out of this.
Old 16 July 2020, 10:14 AM   #35
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
Hi Paul. Is this a political issue, or a social issue? I know the two are frequently conflated, but I’m backing the latter here.
All best
Old 16 July 2020, 10:19 AM   #36
G.Montag
Banned

If I were you, I’d be far more concerned about the “sustainability” of the computing device that you used to make this post. Without a doubt, it was made in China or some other third world country where environmental standards exist only on paper and where labour conditions are often slavery-like. But something tells me that you already knew that but decided that the convenience of owning a computer and a cell phone outweighed whatever moral principles you claim to possess.
Old 16 July 2020, 10:28 AM   #37
LyingFlat
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ41
Apart from the opaqueness of Rolex's production, there are other sustainability concerns that affect pretty much all manufacturing businesses.

Using Rolex as an example:
  • Fossil fuels used to ship in raw materials
  • Fossil fuels used to transport parts between factories
  • Fossil fuels used to export completed watches
  • Greenhouse gasses produced during gold/steel/platinum production
  • Rubber production and it's associated effects on the natural environment
  • Precious metals and stones possibly having a conflict origin (cut & polished stones can be very difficult to trace)
  • Modern slavery concerns in the extraction of precious metals/stones
  • Heavy metals used in the manufacturing of equipment
  • Fossil fuels used in the manufacturing of equipment
  • Almost 40% of Swiss electricity is sourced from nuclear energy

Unfortunately very few manufacturing businesses can be truly sustainable. Even the term 'sustainable' is a loaded term and is probably best measured in degrees of sustainability...
Old 16 July 2020, 10:31 AM   #38
G.Montag
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
Perhaps if previous generations did less girl chasing and boozing in their 20’s we would have less problems regarding industrial sustainability, environmentalism and modern slavery/sweat shops?
Previous generations had full time jobs and families in their 20’s. The concept of a 20+ year old child is a pretty modern phenomenon.
Old 16 July 2020, 10:50 AM   #39
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolex#...nmental_rating

Full WWF report (PDF, 56 pages) here.
Old 16 July 2020, 10:51 AM   #40
Redz13
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610Lv
Manufacture like Rolex who designed products to outlast us tend to be more socially responsible than products that demanded to be change every year or so. Just my two cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16 July 2020, 11:00 AM   #41
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
For the most part Rolex is a totally vertical integrated operation which means they feed their supply train from the ground up. I suspect it is highly sustainable and a huge benefit for those who work for the company and for the people around the world who buy their products.
Old 16 July 2020, 11:24 AM   #42
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Montag View Post
Previous generations had full time jobs and families in their 20’s. The concept of a 20+ year old child is a pretty modern phenomenon.
That’s funny. But broadly speaking, it’s more true of my generation (X), in my experience anyway. Very reluctantly, I’ve had to grow up and out of a prolonged adolescence. Maybe it was a 1990s thing, but we were slack for a long time. Today’s bunch seems a lot hungrier to do well. But these broad brushstrokes are never really right, are they?
Old 16 July 2020, 11:31 AM   #43
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Rolex watches can literally last a life time. This attribute alone makes them more environmentally responsible than those plasticky, throw-away, hippy Apple watches.
Old 16 July 2020, 11:41 AM   #44
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrocaguirre View Post
So here is my last shower-time question folks (I hope it hasn't been brought up before, and if so, would anyone be kind enough to point me towards that thread?).

I consider the future of every industry needs to be responsible and sensitive both with the environment and with society. As a watch fan in my early 20's and with maaany watches yet to own (at least I hope so), I came up with the following question: How sustainable is the Rolex fabrication and manufacturing process? Are the materials used to make a modern Rolex of thoughtful and respectful provenance? Are there any guarantees that Rolex parts and materials come from fair exploitation and through fair working conditions in countries where these come from (given that the actually do come from 3rd world countries for example)?

I have never heard neither + nor – opinions/facts about this topic and find myself very curious about it.

Thanks to all who read and more so to those who have info!!!

Best,
P.
There is no way to mine, manufacture, and suppley metal parts without potential destruction to the environment and contributing to global warming. The computer that we are using to communicate is an eco destructive device to be manufactured and becomes dangerous waste when we retire these electronic machines. I do believe that new process and techniques will be invented that reduce the destruction and the danger to our environment but those things take time to be proven.
Old 16 July 2020, 11:49 AM   #45
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
Let's keep politics out of this.

I agree.
It will be hard since the question itself is a reflection of underlying social beliefs.

But the topic isn’t new to the forum. Even 14 years ago...
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=25070

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 16 July 2020, 11:49 AM   #46
zjd168
"TRF" Member

well this seems deeper than those SS scarcity rant threads
Old 16 July 2020, 11:57 AM   #47
LyingFlat
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ41
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjd168 View Post
well this seems deeper than those SS scarcity rant threads
They're probably scarce because Rolex thinks gold is more sustainable!
Old 16 July 2020, 03:52 PM   #48
LeonMorin
"TRF" Member

This WWF report linked above is a great starting point to understand the sustainability profile of the watch industry at large. It highlights that there are an array of sector specific concerns, many of which the group have touched upon. Of course extraction comes top of the list - all that smelting doesn’t happen without joules. So the question becomes, is Rolex maximizing its opportunities - right now it appears to be transparency that Rolex’s greater concern. The old adage, “if it can’t be measured, it can’t be managed” seems to ring true for a company notoriously secretive Rolex is. And as a private company they have no such public obligations for disclosure or ESG benchmarking. On that point, it makes sense that the publicly traded Richemont Group brands (IWC) would be rated as further along - if only because they have disclosure obligations.

Thanks OP for a good topic starter - I do sustainability work (for a different industry) and have a friend who worked for IWC on this very issue. I guarantee every watch company has a team plugging away at this, because their own future business depends on it. To my surprise, the prevalence of alligator straps is one of the deeper ethical issues that higher end watch makers are reconsidering.
Old 16 July 2020, 06:12 PM   #49
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Montag View Post
These 'adult children' are the progeny of the same generations you are referring to.

So if the current generation of under 30's are broadly speaking ineffectual members of society (which I wholeheartedly dispute); then it stands to reason their parents and society at large fundamentally failed them.

For clarity's sake I will point out that I do not fall in to the under 30's demographic, I simply don't subscribe to the ridiculous notion that being younger means you should shut up and listen to your elders on every matter.
Old 16 July 2020, 06:38 PM   #50
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I agree.
It will be hard since the question itself is a reflection of underlying social beliefs.

But the topic isn’t new to the forum. Even 14 years ago...
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=25070

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Seems I am always banging on about something Paul?

Old 16 July 2020, 06:39 PM   #51
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
These 'adult children' are the progeny of the same generations you are referring to.

So if the current generation of under 30's are broadly speaking ineffectual members of society (which I wholeheartedly dispute); then it stands to reason their parents and society at large fundamentally failed them.

For clarity's sake I will point out that I do not fall in to the under 30's demographic, I simply don't subscribe to the ridiculous notion that being younger means you should shut up and listen to your elders on every matter.
Yes, you should Neil.

Old 16 July 2020, 06:59 PM   #52
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Yes, you should Neil.
Old 16 July 2020, 07:03 PM   #53
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
I think this particular portion of the site is meant to talk about watches.
This topic may belong in the Open Discussion section.

Not saying it is not important to some, but if I choose to feel bad about the world today, I simply need to turn on the news.

May I please have my "safe space" to just read and discuss watches Please?
Old 16 July 2020, 07:08 PM   #54
Rochester585
"TRF" Member

Hilarious post. Why dont you take a peek at some of the homes and lifestyles of the biggest pushers and proponents of climate theory. i would imagine youre fresh out of some super liberal indoctrina....i mean university.

another question for OP....if you found out today that your Rolex watches were being produced in high carbon emission, slave labor type factories...would you take your watch off and stop buying in the future?

Just stop with this nonsense
Old 16 July 2020, 07:21 PM   #55
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochester585 View Post
Hilarious post. Why dont you take a peek at some of the homes and lifestyles of the biggest pushers and proponents of climate theory. i would imagine youre fresh out of some super liberal indoctrina....i mean university.

another question for OP....if you found out today that your Rolex watches were being produced in high carbon emission, slave labor type factories...would you take your watch off and stop buying in the future?

Just stop with this nonsense
Without wishing to tread any further in to a forbidden political discussion, all I will say is college/university education has zero correlation to one's political compass or stance on social, environmental or humanitarian issues.
Old 16 July 2020, 07:48 PM   #56
Scoobs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona & Sub C
Can’t think of a more sustainable product myself

Small amount of materials required given the end product
No plastics in end product
No batteries
Lasts for decades
Many even keep all the packaging including plastic hang tags

How old is the OP’s smart phone I wonder ?
Old 16 July 2020, 08:46 PM   #57
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Keep the shower short ,don't want to waste water .
Cold water also,dont want to waste unnecessary heat production .
Old 16 July 2020, 09:09 PM   #58
JChips
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Keep the shower short ,don't want to waste water .
Cold water also,dont want to waste unnecessary heat production .

Ha! Half measures are for weak people. I sold most of my belongings and moved in here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16 July 2020, 09:23 PM   #59
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Gotta say: Watchmaker, big fan of your posts here.
Old 16 July 2020, 09:46 PM   #60
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Without wishing to tread any further in to a forbidden political discussion, all I will say is college/university education has zero correlation to one's political compass or stance on social, environmental or humanitarian issues.

I mean, he’s got a point though.
Closed Thread