The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 July 2020, 07:39 AM   #1
CWLDJ
"TRF" Member

RSC service time

My watch was sent to RSC for a warranty repair due to condensation that would most likely need a full service. I was told that it would need six weeks and longer. The actual time for a watchmaker to work on it should be shorter. Does anyone know roughly the full service time for a water damaged watch? I am hoping to get the watch back sooner than later.
CWLDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 08:28 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Most of the waiting time is in the queue; they aren't just sitting there waiting for your watch, there could be many ahead of you.

Doesn't really take much more time for water damage as they do not usually repair damaged parts, they replace them.

So, they take it apart, toss the damaged/rusted parts, collect the new parts, and put it all back together - then you get the bill.
Old 16 July 2020, 08:39 AM   #3
CWLDJ
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the reply. The AD called the RSC and said the watch will be repaired under warranty. Hard to believe a practically new DJ (126200) has a water problem. At this point I don't know what was the cause. I am very sure the crown was closed fully as I have always been careful on closing the crown. Since there is water inside the watch, while waiting in the queue does the RSC do some initial treatment to prevent further rusting?
Old 16 July 2020, 11:40 AM   #4
matthew_r
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114200
I sent my watch to RSC Dallas on the 26th of May. I just got word that It would be ready in about 1 week, making the wait about 9 weeks. If you have a trusted watchmaker near you it will likely be a shorter wait time. Hope this helps!

Not really sure if they do any work to the watch to prevent any further damage while it is waiting to be serviced. If I was to guess, they probably just expect to have to replace the majority of the parts, and do not try to prevent its spread before being serviced.
matthew_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 01:11 PM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWLDJ View Post
. . . At this point I don't know what was the cause. I am very sure the crown was closed fully as I have always been careful on closing the crown. Since there is water inside the watch, while waiting in the queue does the RSC do some initial treatment to prevent further rusting?
Too many people dwell on the crown - that isn't the place that is likely to leak on a relatively new watch. More likely the crystal to case seal failed.

They won't likely to anything initially. Any parts that would be destroyed by rust have already begun the process and will simply be tossed. If it is warranty work, they might just replace the whole movement and be done with it.
Old 16 July 2020, 01:51 PM   #6
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Last Friday, I received an 8-week turnaround estimate from RSC NYC. This was pretty disappointing, since they had the watch for 4 months during the shutdown (from early March to late June) but never fixed the problem, so I sent it back to them a few days after getting it back from RSC in early July. Ah well.
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2020, 11:47 PM   #7
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

RSC is about 9 weeks out in total. Keep in mind they were closed for a bit due to CV.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2020, 12:22 AM   #8
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Any watch sent in for service is totally disassembled & parts are replaced where needed. After the watch is assembled, it's pressure tested. Therefore the time frame is the same regardless of reason the watch was sent in for.
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2020, 12:34 AM   #9
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaggi View Post
Any watch sent in for service is totally disassembled & parts are replaced where needed. After the watch is assembled, it's pressure tested. Therefore the time frame is the same regardless of reason the watch was sent in for.

Ordinarily that’s true - in this case it’s warranty effort. It’d be cheaper for Rolex to put a new movement into the case and update records for that serial number. Toss the rusted movement and move on to next job ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2020, 12:44 AM   #10
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
Sent my Daytona in 06/01, received by RSC email on 06/08. Estimated date of return 08/06. Appears at this point to be 8-9 week process in Dallas.

I really want my watch back!
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2020, 01:29 AM   #11
CWLDJ
"TRF" Member

From noticing condensation to RSC receiving the watch from the AD was about 10 days. If RSC leaves the watch untouched for another couple of weeks while waiting in the queue, rusting would then likely occur. I wonder what might be the SOP of RSC dealing with water damage. Just replace the movement does seem to be the most logical and cheapest way. I am hoping for a new movement of course. It has been about 6 weeks since I took the watch to the AD.
Old 17 July 2020, 04:53 AM   #12
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRickles View Post
Sent my Daytona in 06/01, received by RSC email on 06/08. Estimated date of return 08/06. Appears at this point to be 8-9 week process in Dallas.

I really want my watch back!
Patience my friend, patience. It was 9 weeks door-to-door for me.