The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 15 January 2024, 11:20 AM   #1
nyrunner
"TRF" Member

Hi- I am thinking of purchasing a 5146 (I know its been discontinued)... this may be blasphemous but has anyone ever tried to put it on a different strap/band?

Also, despite being discontinued, the price hasn't changed in years (high 20s?). Any idea why the 5146 doesn't get any love?
nyrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2024, 11:32 AM   #2
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
I wonder what it looks like.?
Old 15 January 2024, 01:48 PM   #3
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Depends on the model for me as I prefer the darker dials on this one. Which are you looking at?
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2024, 04:06 PM   #4
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
The asymmetrical dial turns folks off on this one. I owned it and liked it very much. Great size, and liked the power reserve complication.

Here’s a video review which I think gives a good overview: https://youtu.be/CIRSJj3hPlU?si=qz1v1ZEMtJ7kngCa
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2024, 10:16 PM   #5
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrunner View Post
... Also, despite being discontinued, the price hasn't changed in years (high 20s?). Any idea why the 5146 doesn't get any love?
For me the 5146 AC is lost in the grey between a 3940 PC on the one hand and a simple Calatrava on the other hand which I both prefer aesthetically.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2024, 10:23 PM   #6
jcdevoe26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi- I am thinking of purchasing a 5146 (I know its been discontinued)... this may be blasphemous but has anyone ever tried to put it on a different strap/band?

Also, despite being discontinued, the price hasn't changed in years (high 20s?). Any idea why the 5146 doesn't get any love?
I personally love the 5146 (my choice is the cream dial)....and I love that its under appreciated ;-) makes the pricing better for us hahaha. I was going to go grey and get a 5146 but when the 4947-1/A came out...that became the perfect piece. I tried one on a few months ago and they can be had for a decent price below MSRP...I am putting funds together and looking out for a good deal on one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PP_4947-1A4.jpg (143.1 KB, 814 views)
jcdevoe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2024, 11:33 PM   #7
Bmats
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I think it probably hovers closers to the low 30s that high 20s if you want the later produced ones with full sets.

I personally love my 5146 and prefer it over the current annual calendars. I like the subdial look and smaller size of the dial with the more soft edges on the case compared to the similarly sized 5396. I also feel it wears much smaller than the 5205. But I get some people think it’s too busy, not modern, etc.

I’ve only tried the brown strap, but imagine it would look great on other colors — I’d lean more to matte navy or green. But I’m sure lots of other colors would work too. At least for me, I prefer the cream dial over the slate. I got rose gold but the white gold may be the best (thinking about it again).

Once I get off watch probation I’ll probably get a matte navy strap and Patek buckle, as I’m not the biggest fan of the deployant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2024, 12:57 AM   #8
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

Great Patek for the money. I have and prefer the white gold, cream dial version (I wear it on a dark brown strap about the same as the post immediately above). It's a very comfortable watch to wear, and versatile. It's traditional Patek, under the radar, and classy. At 39 mm it wears great, but does wear a bit smaller than its size would imply (not necessarily a bad thing).
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2024, 04:35 AM   #9
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmats View Post
I think it probably hovers closers to the low 30s that high 20s if you want the later produced ones with full sets.

I personally love my 5146 and prefer it over the current annual calendars. I like the subdial look and smaller size of the dial with the more soft edges on the case compared to the similarly sized 5396. I also feel it wears much smaller than the 5205. But I get some people think it’s too busy, not modern, etc.

I’ve only tried the brown strap, but imagine it would look great on other colors — I’d lean more to matte navy or green. But I’m sure lots of other colors would work too. At least for me, I prefer the cream dial over the slate. I got rose gold but the white gold may be the best (thinking about it again).

Once I get off watch probation I’ll probably get a matte navy strap and Patek buckle, as I’m not the biggest fan of the deployant.

Nothing not to love there.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2024, 07:37 AM   #10
Watchdoyouwant?
"TRF" Member

I’m a big fan.
Watchdoyouwant? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2024, 04:20 AM   #11
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdoyouwant? View Post

I’m a big fan.
The platinum version is very nice
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2024, 05:01 AM   #12
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

i liked the platinum version best because of the stick indices all around
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2024, 05:54 AM   #13
djona
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
I think the 5146 gets plenty of love. It’s my favorite annual calendar. Will probably add a 5146g with the cream dial at some point.
djona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2024, 09:39 AM   #14
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdoyouwant? View Post

I’m a big fan.
That was my first Patek back in early 2000’s. Great looking watch!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2024, 10:21 AM   #15
Watchdoyouwant?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
The platinum version is very nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by mps354 View Post
i liked the platinum version best because of the stick indices all around
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
That was my first Patek back in early 2000’s. Great looking watch!
Thanks. I tell everyone who asks that I think the 5146 is an undervalued and underappreciated watch. It has multiple complications (power and moon phase) in addition to the annual calendar, a thin profile, and is under 40mm!

The 5146p, I think, is even better. The platinum case weight is lovely, and the little diamond in the case is a fun flourish. Moreover, because the P has stick indices, it has a vertically symmetrical dial, which I find more pleasing aesthetically than the other versions with the Arabic numerals. I've also heard there is a (comparatively) much smaller population of 5145p watches compared to the G and R. It's just a nice, wearable special piece in my humble opinion.
Watchdoyouwant? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2024, 02:01 PM   #16
Jmaster
"TRF" Member

5146 is a classic design. I got the slate dial in white gold and enjoy it very much. It has had a very long production so no rare by any means. That didn’t stop me from enjoying its made little features, like the railway tracks, Power reserve, classic lugs and great portion that fits my smaller wrist well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_6753.jpeg (254.7 KB, 520 views)
Old 19 February 2024, 01:24 PM   #17
nyrunner
"TRF" Member

I love the white gold with the cream dial. So it sounds like no one has experimented with other straps to make it look a bit more casual… I’m wondering if there is a cool combo!
nyrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 01:16 AM   #18
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I love the white gold with the cream dial. So it sounds like no one has experimented with other straps to make it look a bit more casual… I’m wondering if there is a cool combo!
A casual look with a matte brown croc strap works...

I bet matte blue would work too, but I haven't tried it yet.
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2024, 11:32 AM   #19
Jmaster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I worn it with a rubber strap for a while. Kind of fun and definitely dressed it down, but my watch has a slate dial which is more casual than a cream dial.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_6794.jpeg (254.1 KB, 285 views)
Old 17 April 2024, 04:05 AM   #20
Toffeeman
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5164A

I tried with this blue. It makes the timepiece more informal and chic.

Toffeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2024, 05:03 AM   #21
Medem
2024 Pledge Member

Very nice watch

As others have commented, it is a very usable, durable and reliable watch.
I find it goes well with classical straps. I used it for years as my daily, especially after Patek upgraded free of charge during a service the original arrow-tip deployant, prone to become undone on opening (with the risk of the watch flying off your wrist) for the classic Calatrava cross deployant (something to look at if searching for a pre-owned 5146). For me it is a keeper.

5146-1.jpg
Medem is offline   Reply With Quote