The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 18 January 2021, 02:58 AM   #1
KonradvonMarburg
Banned

Jaeger poor man's Patek?

Hi all,

Would you consider a Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Control an acceptable alternative to an entry level Patek for those who can't afford, or are not ready to go straight to Patek?

Some of their (JLC) designs look similar to entry level PPs.

Any thoughts?
KonradvonMarburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 03:11 AM   #2
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonradvonMarburg View Post
Hi all,

Would you consider a Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Control an acceptable alternative to an entry level Patek for those who can't afford, or are not ready to go straight to Patek?

Some of their (JLC) designs look similar to entry level PPs.

Any thoughts?
Yes, JLC are outstanding, beautiful timepieces and much underrated IMO. Fantastic value and quality for what you get.
Old 18 January 2021, 03:49 AM   #3
Vipes
"TRF" Member

JLC has great quality for the price but finishing can’t compare to Patek, IMHO.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 03:49 AM   #4
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
I heard once that a patek watchmaker wears a JLC
Buy a JLC and you will enjoy the watch and to top it off the AD will love you for buying it. The only downside is if you ever want a sell the watch but otherwise a great watch
Favorite JLC’s for me are the Memovox and the Reverso

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 03:54 AM   #5
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Rich mans patek when it comes to service costs.
Old 18 January 2021, 04:00 AM   #6
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
JLC has great quality for the price but finishing can’t compare to Patek, IMHO.
Is finishing on patek really all that?
I have some macros of my PC that aren’t so compelling.
Old 18 January 2021, 04:28 AM   #7
Vetracer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Rich mans patek when it comes to service costs.
I second that. I nearly fell off my chair when I got a quote to service a Master Perpetual Calendar I previously owned.
Vetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 04:30 AM   #8
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
I heard once that a patek watchmaker wears a JLC
Buy a JLC and you will enjoy the watch and to top it off the AD will love you for buying it. The only downside is if you ever want a sell the watch but otherwise a great watch
Favorite JLC’s for me are the Memovox and the Reverso

I agree. I personally love the Reverso. And the now discontinued ultra-thin 1907.
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 04:41 AM   #9
djona
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonradvonMarburg View Post
Hi all,

JLC is great. I spent much time debating between the JLC MUT Perpetual and the Patek 5196, and ultimately decided on the latter. I still might add that JLC to the collection one day.
djona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 04:55 AM   #10
w220
"TRF" Member

JLC is perhaps the most underrated brand in the business.
w220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 05:01 AM   #11
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Jaeger poor man's Patek?

They are two different brands for different customers and taste, and should not be considered a “cheaper” version of another. There is always something better so if you have that mentality, you be chasing tails your whole life.

Just buy what you like and enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 05:01 AM   #12
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Is finishing on patek really all that?
I have some macros of my PC that aren’t so compelling.
It is when I compare the JLCs that I’ve had with my Pateks. In general, Patek cases are more detailed and better finished than JLCs. I have no experience with JLCs higher priced offerings though.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 05:02 AM   #13
LDesp
"TRF" Member

I would like to share my recent experiences which may be relevant to the matter.

I purchased a piece from the new JLC Master Control collection before Christmas. I always do a lot of research before buying and came to the conclusion that this would be a great everyday watch.

JLC have a lot going for them: history, everything is made in-house (although not everyone cares about that, I know), sapphire caseback, good finishing, the '1000 hours control', 8 year warranty, and very good power reserve (+- 70 hours on the new Master Control models).

For a given budget, it's very difficult to find all of these advantages elsewhere at the same price point.

Still, I'm on the hunt for a dress watch in precious metal and have always had a desire to own a Patek Philippe. Therefore, I recently visited a Patek dealer to look at some Calatrava models. If I were buying new, I would probably look at the 5196R or 5227R. Alternatively, I love the look of the discontinued 5296R-010.
Fortunately the dealer had some Calatrava models in stock (although not in rose gold) and I had the opportunity to view them under a loupe.

Looking back, my first close encounter with these Calatrava models was not 'love at first sight'. I'm not saying that these are not impressive timepieces, of course they are. In fact, they're beautiful. It's just that at many times the price of the JLC, I had expected the difference to be bigger.
One final thought is that the finishing on the 'higher end' models will potentially be better, although these are not the pieces I would compare to JLC.

During the same visit, I was also shown some of the A. Lange & Söhne Saxonia models. Now these are impressive! I almost pulled out my credit card on the spot, but given that they are readily available (according to the SA) I didn't.

Between JLC and Patek, of course there is a difference (just like there should be, given the price difference).

The finishing on the JLC is good, although less elaborate than the Patek. How big is that difference? I guess it would depend on whom you ask. I would say not that big, but it's absolutely there.
I have found it to be a nice piece to wear frequently, and it tracks time within 1 second per day so far.

That's not to say that I won't still add a Calatrava to my collection in the future. I fully expect to do so, but if you were to really calculate the 'bang per buck' the JLC looks hard to beat. Still, Patek is a step up without a doubt, but you will have to pay for it.

This is just my opinion and current thinking. Hope it makes sense!
I'd be happy to hear other thoughts on the topic.
LDesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 05:25 AM   #14
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Great watches from the back side, not sure I love the dials, but a brand is a brand. Gotta pay up for the name. I would personally just go straight Patek because it sounds like what you really want and almost all collectors regret settling for something else than what they want - Patek or not.

I do think some older dress Patek's feel like a good value (for wearing and enjoying) these days vs the dizzying prices of the hot pieces.

I also personally like the FPJ route for dress watches if going to pay in the $40-$50k range.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 07:13 AM   #15
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
if it comes down to choosing between the patek calatrava that you originally wanted and choosing a decent alternative in JLC, i would say go with the watch you originally wanted.
because if you don't get what you really want the first time you end up purchasing twice
Old 18 January 2021, 07:26 AM   #16
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azizu View Post
if it comes down to choosing between the patek calatrava that you originally wanted and choosing a decent alternative in JLC, i would say go with the watch you originally wanted.
because if you don't get what you really want the first time you end up purchasing twice
twice Or more, maybe much more chasing the dragon.

Agree get what you want the first time.
Old 18 January 2021, 07:43 AM   #17
ganiccus
Banned

Watch: Exp II
I would rather say H Moser is a poor man's Patek when it comes to dress watches at least. Better finishing than JLC for sure and at a fraction of the price compared to Patek Calatravas.
ganiccus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 09:44 AM   #18
Uros
"TRF" Member

Reverso is amazing watch in every aspect...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Uros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 09:53 AM   #19
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

JLC, watchmakers watch. Nothing entry level IMO.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 09:57 AM   #20
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Buy what you like. If you want a PP but are settling for a JLC, then I would hold off and keep saving. I wish someone gave me that advice years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 11:51 AM   #21
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Over the last several decades, Patek's production numbers and prices have incresased while their quality and innovation has decreased, in my opinion; I think they've been resting on their laurels for quite a while. Patek's case and movement finishing is still better than JLC's but the gap isn't nearly what it was. JLC is far more innovative these days and they are called the watchmaker's watchmaker, as they have made movements for Patek, among others, in the past.

If you're looking for a dress watch either with or without complications and you're okay with steel, I think the JLCs are some of the best values out there. If you're interested in complications in steel, I'd also look at Vacheron's Fiftysix and Historiques line. A lot of people say JLC is Patek quality at Rolex prices and that's not too far off these days. If you have to have gold, however, the JLCs become less compelling, as their prices double and if you're spending that much, I'd look at Lange and Vacheron. Vacheron has better cases than Patek, in my opinion, and both have better finished movements.

Watches, however, are about emotion so buy whichever watch speaks to you. It's definitely cheaper to get what you want first rather than something you don't, only to sell it at a loss later and buy what you originally really wanted.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 12:15 PM   #22
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganiccus View Post
I would rather say H Moser is a poor man's Patek when it comes to dress watches at least. Better finishing than JLC for sure and at a fraction of the price compared to Patek Calatravas.
X2 Exactly what I was thinking as well.
MILGAUSS88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 01:42 PM   #23
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I enjoy my Patek and my JLC. Both nice luxury watches with their own pros and cons. I am happy to have them. Not really into rating them.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 01:11 AM   #24
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

i'd get for a JLC over a typical basic PP all day long UNLESS you're talking $350k+ PP grand complication (no bling) as that's when their quality reaches what it once was as 'normal' back in their glory days. The more i look, the H Moser is a level equal to or higher than basic Patek imho. If you want true unbridled quality, FPJ and MB&F of course plus other high-level handcrafted timepieces.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 04:56 AM   #25
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
First of all I would say that there is truly no substitute for Patek Philippe - period there are however some very good alternatives - and Jaeger is most definitely one of them.

I agree with some of the aforementioned comments - Jaeger might be the most underrated brand with the highest pedigree. They have made movements for some of the most haute horological pieces - modified JLC movements can be found in the 3700 and the 5402 - two of the most iconic watches in present times.

It’s a watch that packs a ton of value! Especially if you’re looking at complications.

Cheers!

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 05:52 AM   #26
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

JLC is an excellent value and very high quality. Might be my next acquisition (after the PAM1118 coming later this month).
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 19 January 2021, 09:07 AM   #27
Burlington
"TRF" Member

The watchmakers choice.

They are a great manufacturer

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 10:59 AM   #28
MeepHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: TV
JLC is famous for high service costs. I’ve been told stories by former JLC ads that make me cringe. But, they’re on par with patek for me. If you’re trying to compare a master control to a Callatrava, well, that’s not a fair comparison. However, if you’re comparing a yellow gold JLC ultra thin or even a gold reverso to a patek, JLC holds its own to me. JLC should be twice the price for many of its pieces, or maybe 60 percent higher. I’ve owned a reverso for years and it keeps perfect time , wears well, and the sheer genius of that piece cannot be emphasized enough. That JLC has made movements for vacheron, patek, AP, and others is quite telling. It’s unfortunate richemont doesn’t better market JLC. The master control should be 9k usd for what it is. They’ve made some giant missteps with the master control sector dial, the reverso squadra, and their navy seal pieces. It’s a shame.
MeepHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 11:20 AM   #29
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDesp View Post
During the same visit, I was also shown some of the A. Lange & Söhne Saxonia models. Now these are impressive! I almost pulled out my credit card on the spot, but given that they are readily available (according to the SA) I didn't.
So, and maybe I'm reading you incorrectly... you really wanted it, but because it is available you didn't buy it??? So if they were not esey to get you'd buy it?

On a different note, you guys should also check out the Bvlgari Octo, immense value and amazing engineering.

Old 19 January 2021, 02:01 PM   #30
2Redbulls
"TRF" Member

Watch: I give up..
I think JLC is a great brand with fantastic quality. I love my Reverso and will never flip it. The new Master Control line is great also. I find the updates to make a world of difference to me.
2Redbulls is offline   Reply With Quote