The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 31 March 2022, 03:45 AM   #31
rag5178
"TRF" Member

The fully stainless steel Overseas is priced at about 40% the retail price of the full rose gold overseas. That same ratio would put the SS 222 around 25-26k, but given the inevitable high demand, I would bet they price it a bit higher. 30k seems like a good guess.
rag5178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 03:48 AM   #32
huydoan
"TRF" Member

Watch: pp and only pp
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Must be a boutique not just an AD. If you don't have a boutique call them at the eBoutique asap and register your interest.

I mean boutique , and hopefully to hear good news

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
huydoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 04:30 AM   #33
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

White gold or steel and this would be perfect.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 04:31 AM   #34
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118209
The Hodinkee writeup is useful:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/hi...istoriques-222

Interesting that they went with the 2455 movement here--only 40hrs of power reserve, which isn't great by today's standards. I suppose they were constricted by size, but why not use the 5300 that's in the 37mm Overseas. That has 44 hours, which isn't much better, but it is better...
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 04:44 AM   #35
rag5178
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush View Post
The Hodinkee writeup is useful:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/hi...istoriques-222

Interesting that they went with the 2455 movement here--only 40hrs of power reserve, which isn't great by today's standards. I suppose they were constricted by size, but why not use the 5300 that's in the 37mm Overseas. That has 44 hours, which isn't much better, but it is better...
Probably to save some thickness. I think the 5300 is 4.0mm and the 2455 is 3.6mm
rag5178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 04:56 AM   #36
raclaims
"TRF" Member

I'm def going to go for the SS version but am worried about the small size...but hey I'll rock it!
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 05:00 AM   #37
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
White gold or steel and this would be perfect.

It will come I'm sure. I'm guessing if you don't get the gold one it's harder to get the steel. I will try for both.
Old 31 March 2022, 05:33 AM   #38
luster
"TRF" Member

Looks outdated to me. I feel like most people would've been ok with a couple slight design changes to make it seem a little more contemporary? Guess I'm in the "if you want an old watch buy an old watch" camp.

Bottom right maltese cross is totally unnecessary, especially with another one on the dial. VC needs to stop slapping their logo all over everything, it cheapens the brand's craftsmanship and heritage
luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 06:16 AM   #39
solaire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luster View Post
Looks outdated to me. I feel like most people would've been ok with a couple slight design changes to make it seem a little more contemporary? Guess I'm in the "if you want an old watch buy an old watch" camp.

Bottom right maltese cross is totally unnecessary, especially with another one on the dial. VC needs to stop slapping their logo all over everything, it cheapens the brand's craftsmanship and heritage

I think a lot of people don't understand the 222 or the launch.

The 222 is not relaunched as a separate range it was brought back under the Historiques range. That alone define what's can / cannot be done to the model. It also means this a limited p.

VC have not slapped their logo onto the watch. The Maltese Cross has been in the DNA of vacheron for a long time.

The origonal has the mlastese cross at 5 o'clock. The below shows the new on the left & old on the right

There are some drawbacks on the new one as the case design has changed resulting in a change in WR. Movement was also selected to try and limit any additional bulk on the new model.

As for what the 2nd edition of the 222 will be... Your local boutique already knows.

solaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 06:31 AM   #40
pp3355
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush View Post
I’m a fan of the 37mm size as well. Glad they didn’t concede to the silly, gaudy hubcap movement—and there are plenty of options in the larger sizes already.

I just wish they were offering this is in ss too.

And I wouldn’t complain if they’d reissues the 2215 as well.

Altogether, though, this feels (literally) very on-brand for VC.
Now the 2215 would be epic

And the 333..
pp3355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 06:38 AM   #41
solaire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pp3355 View Post
Now the 2315 would be epic

And the 333..

2215 came out last year as a single piece & the anniversary is soon. Will it return outside of Les Collectionneurs? That's one to debate.

333 unlikely

Old 31 March 2022, 07:43 AM   #42
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG BLRO, Sub C, WG
Quote:
Originally Posted by luster View Post

It can’t cheapen the heritage - it IS the heritage. Have a look at the original, it’s almost identical.

People have to mindful that this is essentially a re-release and not a new release. Once you come to terms with that, notions of old fashioned etc disappear and you appreciate the watch for what it is meant to be.

It’s not for everyone, the overseas can accommodate those that are looking for modern looking pieces. I personally love it and I will be trying to my hardest to get one.

Giangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 09:57 AM   #43
Jmaster
"TRF" Member

At first glance it looks like an Oysterquartz (this is Rolex forum afterall…)
Old 31 March 2022, 10:59 AM   #44
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaster View Post
At first glance it looks like an Oysterquartz (this is Rolex forum afterall…)

Oysterquartz has nice lines for sure. In the metal this will make just about any Rolex look like a tissot though.
Old 31 March 2022, 12:18 PM   #45
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by raclaims View Post
I'm def going to go for the SS version but am worried about the small size...but hey I'll rock it!
did they tell you when they will release this?

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 01:45 PM   #46
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

Picture the hype when VC releases the stainless steel version at much lower price! I would definitely want one

ndrs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 05:35 PM   #47
nickorette
"TRF" Member

I talked to my VC boutique, they weren't exactly sure all the details, but were thinking around October for pieces to start coming in, they were thinking it would be low supply. I was in contact before, during and after release, so hoping I'm towards the top of the list. I probably would have preferred a SS version, but already having a 37mm RO grey dial, the SS 37mm grey dial 222 might have been too similar.

I'm not usually a fan of yellow gold, but between the brushed surface and what appears to be a less yellow color it quickly grew on me
IWC: Portuguese Min. Repeater, Pilot 36, Pallweber RG, Vintage Pilot's, Ingenieur Patek: 5098P, 5738R, 5120G, 5172G JLC: Reverso Classic, Duomètre, Polaris Memovox 50th, MUTM Enamel AP: 15450 Lange: Lange 1, Copper Blue, Richard Lange, 1815 Up/Down Rolex: 116000, 116520, 126655, 124060, 116505, 228238 Panerai: Luminor 676 Omega: Aqua Terra, SM 300, Museum N°10, SM 321, CK 859 Cartier: Santos Medium, Tank LC VC: Cornes De Vache, Triple Calendrier, 222, 4300V/120R FPJ: CS LF: Classic Micro Rotor
nickorette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 07:40 PM   #48
RobHK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
$62,500. I called and asked this morning. No fixed number production but extremely limited quantities per year.
Since Im in HK how does this price you quoted work, is it an all in price, or also VAT/tax on top of that? In HK I just got quoted HK$ 495k, so that's slightly more, but there is no tax on top of that, its all in.
RobHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 08:12 PM   #49
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickorette View Post
I talked to my VC boutique, they weren't exactly sure all the details, but were thinking around October for pieces to start coming in, they were thinking it would be low supply.
This video (a bit of promo from vc but worth watching, not least because you see the reissue side-by-side with a 1977 original) says exclusively boutiques in September in low quantity.

https://youtu.be/mBJSoVBau50

They also discuss some of the original production numbers for the 222. Only a couple hundred pieces were ever made in steel, which isn’t surprising.
Old 31 March 2022, 08:17 PM   #50
AperolSpritz
"TRF" Member

I'd have to go against the crowd here.
As much as I respect the original model for what it was in the watch evolution history and for Vacheron. I am definitely not a buyer of this 222 today. I think it's design has not aged well at all. Hard pass for me.
I must say I am very very surprised by all the positive comments it gets.
AperolSpritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 08:17 PM   #51
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giangos View Post
I was hoping that the new line would be reimagined and modern.

Far from it !

No doubt. Someone needs to go help these people. It’s no wonder you can get their pieces at below MSRP.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 10:17 PM   #52
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

But (as I think someone else already mentioned) I wonder, based on these critical remarks, if some folks are misunderstanding this release. This isn’t a new “line,” and it’s not meant to be contemporary in design: it’s a reissue.

This is essentially an archival recreation, albeit with an updated, visible movement. I’d be surprised if they make more than 200 of them and if it’s still being produced next year.

Their flagship sports piece remains the Overseas, and aside from a couple new iterations of that, it remains unchanged.

I happen to like the 222 in steel, just as it was, size and all. It’s my kind of anachronism. And if they do reissue that, I will unsuccessfully try to get one. But even if you think it’s ugly and dated now, I wouldn’t raise that a strike against VC as they’re not presenting it as a new direction. That’s not the point.
Old 31 March 2022, 10:26 PM   #53
RobHK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AperolSpritz View Post
I'd have to go against the crowd here.
As much as I respect the original model for what it was in the watch evolution history and for Vacheron. I am definitely not a buyer of this 222 today. I think it's design has not aged well at all. Hard pass for me.
I must say I am very very surprised by all the positive comments it gets.
I don't think its going against the grain. This is more of a niche watch than Overseas which is very hard to hate. Maybe Overseas is not your favorite of all watches out there, but its pretty hard to say its an awful watch that does nothing for you and a hard pass.

Compare to something like Bulgari octo finissimo, there you have something controversial. Some will love it, some will hate it, Octo is hard pass for me. The 222 is not that extreme but more towards that direction, its not a watch for everyone.
RobHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 10:49 PM   #54
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Easily one of the best releases of the year for me.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 10:53 PM   #55
alllexandru
2024 Pledge Member

One of the best releases in years, what a beauty.
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 11:39 PM   #56
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

The 222 was always a dog and this one's no different to my eyes. A design that has not aged well. It looks cheap and stuck in the 70s, unlike some competitors that have aged much better.

Original 222 prices were in the dumps for years. But some of the froth of the market for RO, Nautilus, etc. has flowed over into other much less desirable designs.
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2022, 12:07 AM   #57
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Vacheron 222 announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalsigns View Post
The 222 was always a dog and this one's no different to my eyes. A design that has not aged well. It looks cheap and stuck in the 70s, unlike some competitors that have aged much better.

Original 222 prices were in the dumps for years. But some of the froth of the market for RO, Nautilus, etc. has flowed over into other much less desirable designs.

Weren't RO and Nautilus also sitting in the case and available at a discount during much of the time you're referring to? Even not all that long ago.

In terms of a design that hasn't aged well, that is your opinion, and I think exactly the opposite. The bracelet, case finish, and bezel design look better to me. These are the 70s era competitors from a quick Google image search. Updated with some better RO and Nautilus pics.

Old 1 April 2022, 12:14 AM   #58
solaire
"TRF" Member

People will hate vacheron for being vacheron and sticking to their nda and quality.

Old 1 April 2022, 01:40 AM   #59
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Weren't RO and Nautilus also sitting in the case and available at a discount during much of the time you're referring to? Even not all that long ago.
Yes, absolutely. But the RO and Nautilus were still selling. The 222 had faded into obscurity, and for good reason IMO. And yes, of course, these are my own subjective opinions about the design. Just as others may love the style, I'm happy to forget most of the 70s styles, the 222 included. To a large extent I feel this way about the RO, and to a lesser extent about the Nautilus. I think the Nautilus has aged best of them all.

And don't get me started on the Aquanaut, which was the red headed step child of the bunch until the Nautilus skyrocketed. Apologies to red heads world-wide; I know it's offensive to compare you to the Aquanaut.
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2022, 01:45 AM   #60
raclaims
"TRF" Member

That post made me laugh 3 times...keep it coming!
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote