The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 17 May 2022, 01:17 AM   #1
Willyjo
2024 Pledge Member

Vacheron terrible boutique experience

Folks, this one takes the biscuit:

I have been on the “interest” for about a year w the boutique in Dubai for an Overseas. I pinged my SA to check and she responded that piece is finally coming very soon. Explained to her that I was travelling and suggested that I could come in and pay in advance and collect it later.

Made an appt and went there today as arranged. Sat down in the private room, offered a drink and had a nice chat. Then she asked how she could help me today. I replied I was there for my Overseas and was given back a confused look from her. And she started explaining they are so hard to get yadda yadda….

I reminded her of our conversation and showed our WhatsApp chat… her look went from confused to mortified and she said:

“Sorry, I had you mixed up w someone else who has the same name”.

She did apologise, however also made it clear that I am unlikely to ever get a VC Overseas, at least from them.

Pretty miserable experience overall. I am done w them. From now sticking only w AP, they are only ones that provide excellent customer service and experience, and their watches are second to none.

Rant over, as is my desire to get a VC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Willyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 01:44 AM   #2
RobHK
"TRF" Member

Thats just terrible, could she not save the situation somewhat. I guess you are asking for a blue. Offer you a silver/black dial or whatever..
RobHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 01:50 AM   #3
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
What lol is your name super common?

Saved you 20 plus anyways.
Old 17 May 2022, 03:51 AM   #4
Willyjo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post

My (real) name isn’t common even here in the Middle East! Flabbergasted.

Old 17 May 2022, 03:51 AM   #5
Willyjo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post

Was for the Black dial….

Old 17 May 2022, 03:55 AM   #6
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Brutal. Life is full of adventures. When the market crashes they'll have time to reflect.
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 04:04 AM   #7
raclaims
"TRF" Member

Omg that’s awful!! I mean mistakes happen but ouch! I’m sure they'll make it up to you

It’s an honest mistake I’m sure but I feel your pain
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 04:28 AM   #8
ts3
"TRF" Member

Horrible. I had a similar experience but luckily with a better outcome.

Patek AD called to say my 5711 will be coming in shortly. Next day I get another call explaining they had confused me with another guy with the same name. I do have both a very common first and last name. Then again no German name is that common overall. They did confirm that I was number 1 or 2 on the list post that mishap (forgot which exactly) and some 6 months later I got the call for real.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 04:33 AM   #9
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Ouch, and hate saying this yet you're not the only one with VC, ALS, and AP, and... This type of story is being told time and again online. The great news is that when the market goes back to some sanity and normality, we all know which brand to support because they treat their customers well.

Again, sorry to hear of your troubles.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 04:46 AM   #10
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

Terrible experience, but it sounds like you never really had access to the piece in the first place. My guess is it was not someone of the same name, but rather she just texted the wrong person. Or...you were about to get the piece and someone intervened, but that seems less likely. Either way, from eager anticipation to dejection...not a luxury experience.
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 05:49 AM   #11
jcatral14
"TRF" Member

Watch: aholic
Poor form. SA should have at least tried to make it right by offering an alternative or promising to get you the next one that comes in. Did you try to speak with the manager?

jcatral14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 07:17 AM   #12
Undefeatable
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcatral14 View Post
Poor form. SA should have at least tried to make it right by offering an alternative or promising to get you the next one that comes in. Did you try to speak with the manager?
Yea this seems like the route they should have taken. Turned a mistake into an insult when she said he wouldn't be getting one period.
Old 17 May 2022, 08:31 AM   #13
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Since it is a black dial, I would say that they should move your name to the “real” list vs the imaginary interest list and provide a solid ETA.

If it is a blue dial, I can understand why there is nothing which they can do as the list is already long.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 10:46 AM   #14
FrugalGreubel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Voutilainen (2030)
I’m sorry just happened to you. It’s messed up they didn’t try and find a way to make it right.
FrugalGreubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 11:10 AM   #15
ILoveFerrari
"TRF" Member

The market is starting to crash already. Just move on. I will however write to the VC HQ and boutique director about your experiences so they can improve.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
ILoveFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 11:10 AM   #16
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

funny because no one was buying overseas before APs became impossible to get and now overseas will be the first to go back to sitting in cases if things ever come down. they'll end up regretting it
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 01:39 PM   #17
Willyjo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
funny because no one was buying overseas before APs became impossible to get and now overseas will be the first to go back to sitting in cases if things ever come down. they'll end up regretting it

Exactly.

AP customer experience is by far the best.

Old 17 May 2022, 04:33 PM   #18
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyjo View Post
Exactly.

I have no idea how people can make blanket statements like this, other than to justify a pre-existing preference for one brand and denigrate another.
ChetBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 04:37 PM   #19
Willyjo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetBaker View Post
I have no idea how people can make blanket statements like this, other than to justify a pre-existing preference for one brand and denigrate another.

This statement is made on my extensive experience with many of these watch brands.

Old 17 May 2022, 09:47 PM   #20
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Exactly.

My experience with AP boutique has been far worse than your name mix up at Vacheron. Good luck with AP if you think asking for an overseas was bad.
Old 17 May 2022, 10:14 PM   #21
jakjuventus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
My experience with A. Lange boutique was very pleasant.

I called them first time in February to tell Im interested in their Little Lange 1 and put my name on the waitlist. I made second call around March to have some follow up and once I told them Im the guy who called you before about Little Lange 1, the SA she immediately recall my name even though I called them on landline and there is no Caller ID here.

I was very impressed.

Royal Oak : 34mm 77350st
Nautilus : 7118/1a Blue dial
jakjuventus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2022, 11:18 PM   #22
Willyjo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
My experience with AP boutique has been far worse than your name mix up at Vacheron. Good luck with AP if you think asking for an overseas was bad.

Yes. I’m sure we all have different experiences. For me AP has been outstanding. ALS is also excellent, as is Moser.

Rolex, PP, and now VC are less than pleasant to say the least.

Old 17 May 2022, 11:30 PM   #23
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
That’s a bummer OP
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 12:04 AM   #24
JF100
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Agree - my experience at AP was shithouse too. VC the best for me.
As with anything in life - unless we took a large sample we will never know the true 'best' watch brand with respect to experience.
JF100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 12:07 AM   #25
JF100
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Folks, this one takes the biscuit:

I have been on the “interest” for about a year w the boutique in Dubai for an Overseas. I pinged my SA to check and she responded that piece is finally coming very soon. Explained to her that I was travelling and suggested that I could come in and pay in advance and collect it later.

Made an appt and went there today as arranged. Sat down in the private room, offered a drink and had a nice chat. Then she asked how she could help me today. I replied I was there for my Overseas and was given back a confused look from her. And she started explaining they are so hard to get yadda yadda….

I reminded her of our conversation and showed our WhatsApp chat… her look went from confused to mortified and she said:

“Sorry, I had you mixed up w someone else who has the same name”.

She did apologise, however also made it clear that I am unlikely to ever get a VC Overseas, at least from them.

Pretty miserable experience overall. I am done w them. From now sticking only w AP, they are only ones that provide excellent customer service and experience, and their watches are second to none.

Rant over, as is my desire to get a VC.

Did you try to push for yourself to move up the allocation or to be next in line to make up for their blunder? These tactics generally work particularly in the luxury sector but also in others. As an example a friend of mine here walked into a rolex shop they thought it was someone else, got out a panda daytona (guy was shocked obviously), said he would be back tomorrow to pay. Next day goes back they say they made a blunder he 'kicked off' (in a respectful but stern way of course) and they ended up selling him the watch. An element of shock may have taken over in your case but generally in these type of situations, whether i'm in a high-end restaurant or experiencing a late Deliveroo - I will try and leverage to make it a net benefit (free dessert of token credits etc).
Old 18 May 2022, 12:15 AM   #26
Willyjo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF100 View Post
Did you try to push for yourself to move up the allocation or to be next in line to make up for their blunder? These tactics generally work particularly in the luxury sector but also in others. As an example a friend of mine here walked into a rolex shop they thought it was someone else, got out a panda daytona (guy was shocked obviously), said he would be back tomorrow to pay. Next day goes back they say they made a blunder he 'kicked off' (in a respectful but stern way of course) and they ended up selling him the watch. An element of shock may have taken over in your case but generally in these type of situations, whether i'm in a high-end restaurant or experiencing a late Deliveroo - I will try and leverage to make it a net benefit (free dessert of token credits etc).

I didn’t. I was quite surprised and just left.

May write an email to HQ and regional director (and attach a picture of my collection of other Brand’s)

Old 18 May 2022, 12:29 AM   #27
JF100
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I didn’t. I was quite surprised and just left.

May write an email to HQ and regional director (and attach a picture of my collection of other Brand’s)

I think its certainly worth mentioning you had liquidated some other areas of your portfolio to source cash for the watch which now is not needed. This incurred you costs etc and perhaps market moved against you re-establishing your position. This sort of stuff etc etc. Thats the line of argument I would take and frankly it is 100% reasonable. If that was a 150k watch you could feasibly lose a 5-10k over a few days (or more) from opportunity cost of your liquidation let-alone transaction costs of exit and re-entry.
Old 18 May 2022, 12:57 AM   #28
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raclaims View Post
Omg that’s awful!! I mean mistakes happen but ouch! I’m sure they'll make it up to you

It’s an honest mistake I’m sure but I feel your pain
She should have given him the watch instead of the other guy.

This is embarrassing. It just shows how fake these people are and act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF100 View Post
I think its certainly worth mentioning you had liquidated some other areas of your portfolio to source cash for the watch which now is not needed. This incurred you costs etc and perhaps market moved against you re-establishing your position. This sort of stuff etc etc. Thats the line of argument I would take and frankly it is 100% reasonable. If that was a 150k watch you could feasibly lose a 5-10k over a few days (or more) from opportunity cost of your liquidation let-alone transaction costs of exit and re-entry.
So much nonsense. Why would you even want to write that? Either you have the money or you don't because you 'knew' this purchase would eventually come up and happen.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 04:47 AM   #29
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
She should have given him the watch instead of the other guy.

This is embarrassing. It just shows how fake these people are and act.

So much nonsense. Why would you even want to write that? Either you have the money or you don't because you 'knew' this purchase would eventually come up and happen.

I would simply say that they should be embarrassed and that the entire experience was a colossal waste of time and that I was pissed.

BS’ing details about financial first world problems only makes people sound like a douche.

AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2022, 05:09 AM   #30
Willyjo
2024 Pledge Member

I’m moving on, too annoyed and turned off by the experience to want to deal with them anymore.

They should be chasing me to be their customer, not the other way around. This bull market will be over soon and they can start flogging them off at discount by Christmas.

Meanwhile, I will wait for my next AP.