The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 January 2019, 09:44 AM   #1
edyu
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Rolex lost this battle to Patek/AP/Hublot

I was watching the Talking Watches with Biver and it got me thinking:
I believe both Nautilus and AP Royal Oak (and from what Biver said Hublot too) got the inspiration of the designs (I know Genta designed them) from yacht portholes because of the clientele they were originally designed for. Yachtmaster obviously was designed with yacht in mind (YM2 more for the regatta but similar enough) as well.
If these assumptions are correct then in this particular battle, Rolex lost because I don't think it's as popular as the other ones. Of course it's just a battle and I believe Rolex is doing well in the "war."
Anyways just a random thought as I'm omw to my meeting. Please do enlighten me if my assumptions are incorrect.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
edyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 09:44 AM   #2
BigBoy17
"TRF" Member

?
BigBoy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 10:22 AM   #3
GreatScott
"TRF" Member

So if Rolex sells more pieces than all of those combined you think they lost?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
GreatScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 11:28 AM   #4
edyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatScott View Post
So if Rolex sells more pieces than all of those combined you think they lost?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I'm only comparing yachtmaster vs Royal oak vs Nautilus. Also I'm only talking about from how receptive of the designs of these 3. :)

Old 25 January 2019, 10:29 AM   #5
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
So your saying the Yacht Master isn't as popular as the
Royal Oak Offshore , Nautilus and whatever Hublow has to offer
if I understand the point of your thread correctly.... ?

I think the Yacht Master 1 is doing just fine...
See if any AD's have one in stock...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 10:29 AM   #6
harvey
"TRF" Member

...hope your concentrate more in your meeting than this inane thread.
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 11:05 AM   #7
ivanos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edyu View Post
I believe both Nautilus and AP Royal Oak (and from what Biver said Hublot too) got the inspiration of the designs (I know Genta designed them) from yacht portholes because of the clientele they were originally designed for. Yachtmaster obviously was designed with yacht in mind (YM2 more for the regatta but similar enough) as well.
If these assumptions are correct then in this particular battle, Rolex lost because I don't think it's as popular as the other ones. Of course it's just a battle and I believe Rolex is doing well in the "war."
Anyways just a random thought as I'm omw to my meeting. Please do enlighten me if my assumptions are incorrect.

Your assumptions are indeed significantly questionable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ivanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 11:13 AM   #8
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Was that a meeting or counseling?
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 11:28 AM   #9
Largoshark
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I'm just scratching my head, trying figure out what your "assumption" even is...the Yachtmaster loses in some battle (fabricated by you) against the AP Royal Oak/PP Nautilus/Hublot because it lacks the Genta porthole inspired design?...

There is no more correlation between the Yachtmaster and RO/Nautilus than any two given watches in the industry as far as I know. Every major watch brand has its hot sellers and less desirable models. Hell, the DJ has more in common with the AP and PP you mentioned than the Yachtmaster. Seems like you are just doing some kind of random word association.

...Apologies as I realize that my response sounds harsh, but this is such a strange post.
Largoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 11:35 AM   #10
edyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Largoshark View Post
I'm just scratching my head, trying figure out what your "assumption" even is...the Yachtmaster loses in some battle (fabricated by you alone) against the AP Royal Oak/PP Nautilus/Hublot because it lacks the Genta porthole inspired design?...

There is no more correlation between the Yachtmaster and RO/Nautilus than any two given watches in the industry as far as I know. Every major watch brand has its hot sellers and less desirable models. Hell, the DJ has more in common with the AP and PP you mentioned than the Yachtmaster. Seems like you are just doing some kind of random word association.

...Apologies as I realize that my response sounds harsh, but this is such a strange post.
Nod. Probably should've worded it better. :)
I was saying that these watches were all originally designed/inspired for people who are on a yacht (I know that not necessarily true as many who owns Sub don't actually dive but I hope you get what I'm saying). Many considered Nautilus and Royal Oak (and to some degree Hublot) as successful design/releases but in comparison probably not as much for Yachtmaster.
Disclaimer I don't care for the design of either of these so I'm trying to come at an objective angle but albeit it's never objective when people are involved. :)

Anyways this post was not meant as a criticism of any of these design and I rather like Yachtmaster.

Old 25 January 2019, 11:52 AM   #11
Largoshark
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nod. Probably should've worded it better. :)
I was saying that these watches were all originally designed/inspired for people who are on a yacht (I know that not necessarily true as many who owns Sub don't actually dive but I hope you get what I'm saying). Many considered Nautilus and Royal Oak (and to some degree Hublot) as successful design/releases but in comparison probably not as much for Yachtmaster.
Disclaimer I don't care for the design of either of these so I'm trying to come at an objective angle but albeit it's never objective when people are involved. :)

Anyways this post was not meant as a criticism of any of these design and I rather like Yachtmaster.

Gotcha. It's just that I don't think that the Royal Oak and Nautilus were designed for yachting. From the way you described Biver's comments, it sounds like they merely utilized a design element found on yachts (or any boat/submersible really) because they cater to the wealthy. I could be wrong. Who knows?
Largoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 12:00 PM   #12
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
maybe...

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 12:01 PM   #13
edyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Largoshark View Post
Gotcha. It's just that I don't think that the Royal Oak and Nautilus were designed for yachting. From the way you described Biver's comments, it sounds like they merely utilized a design element found on yachts (or any boat/submersible really) because they cater to the wealthy. I could be wrong. Who knows?
You are probably right. I would think the fact you used the portholes and especially the horizontal lines of the Nautilus was inspired by the yacht deck boards I would think they were "designed" for yacht life but I was always surprised how low the WR is for Royal Oak.

Even the name Nautilus has obvious marine connection and Royal Oak is a boat name. As for Hublot I only leaned the portholes connection because of the Biver interview. These were the reason for my assumptions. Sorry if I confused you. :) This is BTW why I love the forum.

Old 25 January 2019, 11:35 AM   #14
Rp930
"TRF" Member

Whatever.
Rp930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 12:01 PM   #15
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Old 25 January 2019, 12:08 PM   #16
mjr24
Banned

Hublot is garbage.....I'm not even sure why you are mentioning them.

It's like saying there is real competition between BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and.....Scion.
mjr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 12:12 PM   #17
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Well YMs are plentiful at ADs; what does that mean?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 12:23 PM   #18
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Well YMs are plentiful at ADs; what does that mean?

Time to make fewer YMs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 12:27 PM   #19
77T

If PP wanted an inspired dial design for the Nautilus I think the shell beckons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 12:56 PM   #20
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
So to start out - Genta designed the Nautilus, the Royal Oak along with several other watches including variants of the Omega Constellation, IWC Ingenieur, as well as Bulgari and Cartier (Pasha) — he had nothing to do with Hublot or its design. Hublot has aesthetics derivative mostly towards AP.

As far as any relationship to yachts, boating or anything nautical - the shape of the Nautilus case - resembles a hinged porthole - from ocean liners, the Royal Oak bezel screws resembled screws that held potholes in place on ships. As far as the YM line — the only reference with true nautical or yachting inspiration could be argued for the YMII Chrono function, the original YM was designed as sort of a ‘dressed up’ Submariner.

The (comparison) leap staggers me — throwing stainless steel watch icons like the Nautilus and the Royal Oak into a comparative conversions with a modern stainless steel Rolex - and a trendy manufacturer - Hublot - to me just seems like an unfair comparison - that doesn’t do any of the aforementioned watches justice.

Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 01:17 PM   #21
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:

Don't think Yachtmaster was designed with yacht in mind. It is just another variation of Submariner. Didn't you a figure out that already? It is Submariner not intended for deep diving with just 100 meters depth rating and hence no moving bezel. Deisgn is just same but just marketed it differently by calling it Yachtmaster.

Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 02:27 PM   #22
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
Don't think Yachtmaster was designed with yacht in mind. It is just another variation of Submariner. Didn't you a figure out that already? It is Submariner not intended for deep diving with just 100 meters depth rating and hence no moving bezel. Deisgn is just same but just marketed it differently by calling it Yachtmaster.

You all need to take a chill pill. The OP is merely stating his assumption that the YM, RO, and the Nautilus are possibly in the same category. And in this said category, the YM is not selling over MSRP like the others making the watch less desirable. That’s all... even I can see that, and I’m stupid. I don’t understand why so many of us need to treat each other like the enemy. Most of us on the forum are here for the same reason. To share and gain knowledge of this great brand. on some of the behavior I read here

@jps3b
jps3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 05:52 PM   #23
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps3b View Post
You all need to take a chill pill. The OP is merely stating his assumption that the YM, RO, and the Nautilus are possibly in the same category. And in this said category, the YM is not selling over MSRP like the others making the watch less desirable. That’s all... even I can see that, and I’m stupid. I don’t understand why so many of us need to treat each other like the enemy. Most of us on the forum are here for the same reason. To share and gain knowledge of this great brand. on some of the behavior I read here

@jps3b
Are you really saying that to my post? I just replied to this 1 line of the OP.
'Yachtmaster obviously was designed with yacht in mind'

My response started with 'Don't think Yachtmaster was designed with yacht in mind'. It is more of another variation of submariner but not especially designed with yacht in mind. Nothing about the design reminds of yacht like other watches by Genta reminds in Nautlus or RO.

I'm truly surprised if you think my post is rude or some anti post.
Old 25 January 2019, 05:54 PM   #24
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619
Quote:
Are you really saying that to my post? I just replied to this 1 line of the OP.

My response started with 'Don't think Yachtmaster was designed with yacht in mind'. It is more of another variation of submariner but not especially designed with yacht in mind. Nothing about the design reminds of yacht like other watches by Genta reminds in Nautlus or RO.

I'm truly surprised if you think my post is rude or some anti post.

No. You are right. That was done in error. Please accept my apologies. My post was directed to the others hammering the OP for no apparent reason. Again, I’m sorry.

@jps3b
jps3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 06:07 PM   #25
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps3b View Post
No. You are right. That was done in error. Please accept my apologies. My post was directed to the others hammering the OP for no apparent reason. Again, I’m sorry.

@jps3b
No worries, thanks for clarifying!
Old 25 January 2019, 06:22 PM   #26
edyu

Quote:

I think @jps3b mis-quoted you but was directed at others and thank you @jps3b for looking out for a fellow TRFer. Your comments were constructive. :)

Ok, back to the comments. I did read somewhere awhile ago that Yacht Master was designed originally to replace/upgrade Submariner but eventually Rolex decided to be more conservative and just positioned YM as another line.
I guess I just used the name Yacht Master as evidence that Rolex was targeting the same market since it has the word Yacht in the name. :)

As for porthole I can concede that almost all round watches with bezel is technically similar to a porthole.

Anyways, it seems some just hate the name Hublot but as Biver said they came out with the rubber strap before ROO. Hublot is innovative in many fronts even if I dislike/didn't buy their watches. I should however probably leave them out in the comparison. I was referring to Biver's revelation that Hublot was based on the same porthole inspiration.
Old 25 January 2019, 06:24 PM   #27
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:

YM does have a rotating bezel

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 01:19 PM   #28
frankfrazetta
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Explorer II
Uh. Yeah. Maybe. I'm like, like wow, my mind is, like, blown here. Let me get this straight . . . Because Rolex does not make a watch that takes a design element from an ocean going vessel for a divers watch they are somehow missing some universal "water proof" watch geustalt?

I'm, like, missing something here. Please restate your case.
frankfrazetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 02:05 PM   #29
imgook
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
Totally one of the bigger historical battles lost!
imgook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 02:45 PM   #30
Speed
"TRF" Member

Mmm

Word salad.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote