The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 19 June 2006, 07:54 PM   #1
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Speed Cameras.

In most civilised countries, the legal system incorporates certain rights for people accused of breaking the law. These rights are articulated before police begin asking questions of a suspect. Basically, people have a right not to incriminate themselves and the police have a legal duty to tell them so. You know the thing: “You have a right to remain silent, blah, blah, blah,and so on.

So how come this right disappears when the thieving bleeders suspect you of speeding on the basis that your car (not you) has been flashed by a speed camera?

You get a letter that informs you that you’re legally obliged to tell the police who was driving the car at the time. So, a murderer can shut the fek up,say nothing, and so can a paedophile. But a motorist who’s done say 35mph in 30mph area can’t. He’s legally obliged to incriminate himself.

Anyway, last time it happened to me I just told them three people had shared the driving all day. And as I did not have a clue where their camera was, I could not give a name. Asked them for their photo evidence in case I could identify the driver that way.

They blustered and threatened in several correspondences back and forth. I just told them if they have evidence against a particular driver, take it to bleeding court and fine the correct driver. Anyway, in the end they just gave up. Sod um.one up for me.

Don’t let these trumped up bureaucrats rob you.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2006, 11:06 PM   #2
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
In most civilised countries, the legal system incorporates certain rights for people accused of breaking the law. These rights are articulated before police begin asking questions of a suspect. Basically, people have a right not to incriminate themselves and the police have a legal duty to tell them so. You know the thing: “You have a right to remain silent, blah, blah, blah,and so on.

So how come this right disappears when the thieving bleeders suspect you of speeding on the basis that your car (not you) has been flashed by a speed camera?

You get a letter that informs you that you’re legally obliged to tell the police who was driving the car at the time. So, a murderer can shut the fek up,say nothing, and so can a paedophile. But a motorist who’s done say 35mph in 30mph area can’t. He’s legally obliged to incriminate himself.

Anyway, last time it happened to me I just told them three people had shared the driving all day. And as I did not have a clue where their camera was, I could not give a name. Asked them for their photo evidence in case I could identify the driver that way.

They blustered and threatened in several correspondences back and forth. I just told them if they have evidence against a particular driver, take it to bleeding court and fine the correct driver. Anyway, in the end they just gave up. Sod um.one up for me.

Don’t let these trumped up bureaucrats rob you.
There are lots of myths in the legal system, that's for sure. One is the situation you refer to, the other is "innocent until proven guilty." With regards to health and safety law in Ontario, that is certainly not the case - if someone gets hurt on the job, you are guilty, and it's up to you to prove your innocence through a "due dilligence" defense.

We once had speed cameras here, but they didn't care who the driver was, they just fined the person that the vehicle was registered to. It didn't matter if you were driving it or not - they didn't care as it was only a cash grab.

Fortuntely we no longer have speed cameras......
Old 19 June 2006, 11:08 PM   #3
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post

Fortuntely we no longer have speed cameras......
Dont count your chickens yet, Al.
Old 20 June 2006, 02:44 AM   #4
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
The driving here in Saudi is insane. You get idiots weaving in and out of traffic at ridiculous speeds. In an effort to stem this, the police are clamping down on speeding. If you are 20 km/hr over the limit you get a fine of approx £130, a day in a very unpleasant gaol and your car is impounded for 5 working days. The length of gaol sentence, fine and period of impoundment increases with the speed you are doing. We don't have speed cameras yet but we do have some draconian punishments.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote