The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 16 April 2019, 04:22 PM   #1
asechase
Banned

Watch: 6265 Daytona
Icon20 15000 Price speculation

I placed my deposit for a 15000 grey dial last week, taking delivery in August.. I have the opportunity to get a black dial as well. Is it worth it? How do you think these will be priced in the secondary market? Do you think they will trade below the 15400? Would love to hear your thoughts
asechase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 04:31 PM   #2
alielali
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500,26574,16610
Are you buying the watch to enjoy it or to satisfy other people opinions . Why would you care about secondary market , purchasing a watch is to enjoy it in good health , not to grow concern on what others think and how it will preform in secondary market . Its about you !

I don't think its worth the hassle obtaining the black dial unless your flipping , making a couple of extra is not bad if you have a desperate buyer ready.

Speaking in terms of performance , depends on how people accept the new design , demand and supply is the game .

Sent from my HTC U11 plus using Tapatalk
alielali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 05:17 PM   #3
DennTs
"TRF" Member

Watch: flik flak
Quote:
Originally Posted by alielali View Post
Are you buying the watch to enjoy it or to satisfy other people opinions . Why would you care about secondary market , purchasing a watch is to enjoy it in good health , not to grow concern on what others think and how it will preform in secondary market . Its about you !

I don't think its worth the hassle obtaining the black dial unless your flipping , making a couple of extra is not bad if you have a desperate buyer ready.

Speaking in terms of performance , depends on how people accept the new design , demand and supply is the game .

Well Said
DennTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 08:36 PM   #4
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Yes, don't flip and certainly don't come on a watch forum and announce that is your intention, very bad form.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 12:51 AM   #5
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I think they will be hot. Probably trade above msrp if BNIB but once you wear it I imagine they will trade near msrp or msrp+tax. There are better investments out there but whatever floats your boat.
Old 17 April 2019, 02:37 AM   #6
s14roller
"TRF" Member

I think the posters above have missed an important detail. If I had a chance to buy a watch that AP never released to the public, I’d also buy it and expect it to do well.
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 03:54 AM   #7
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by alielali View Post

Seriously, +1
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 03:48 PM   #8
Hauxrologist
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few :)
Fair question, sometimes value should come into play (those that might not normally buy a nautilus can knowing that it will at least be free to wear if you needed to move away from the watch after a few years) and there is nothing different than buying a car you love and holds value. I drive Porsche’s for that reason. Buy them right and they’re nearly free to own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hauxrologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 05:25 PM   #9
Helmi
"TRF" Member

I thought the grey commands higher value than the black. At least that was the case with the 15400.

Always thought it blue > grey/rothinum > black white/silver

Am I wrong?
Helmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 08:18 PM   #10
mr_gray
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMURF
i think in 2019 if AP offer you a RO at RRP you buy it.

if nothing else you can decide which one you like the most.

i sincerely doubt 15500 will trade below 15400 but if it does it won't be by much (and that would still make it above retail). Availability for the 15500 is very limited where i am and if i had your opportunity i would buy both.
mr_gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 11:53 PM   #11
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmi View Post
I thought the grey commands higher value than the black. At least that was the case with the 15400.

Always thought it blue > grey/rothinum > black white/silver

Am I wrong?
Grey was a much shorter run on the 15400. I sense black has higher demand than grey. I was told by a dealer I could chose from grey or blue. I am assuming black was filled because the hurdle for allocation was lower than blue.
Old 18 April 2019, 12:01 AM   #12
karasus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Grey was a much shorter run on the 15400. I sense black has higher demand than grey. I was told by a dealer I could chose from grey or blue. I am assuming black was filled because the hurdle for allocation was lower than blue.
This, grey 15400 has less than a 1 year run, and basically we can almost assume less than 1000 made if not much much less.

Despite being rare, grey wasn't on the market very long so people haven't become "familiar" with the product. So its demand is overshadowed by other colours.
karasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 01:10 AM   #13
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Watch: No Rolex
Sure, it's great to own a watch, knowing it holds it's value well. But I'm not going to encourage buying up watches at MSRP in anticipation of rising secondary market prices. While it may (or may not) be healthy to your wallet, it's not healthy for our community of watch lovers, and the market in general.

That said, I know there will always be speculators and profiteering. I don't think that's what this community is about, but these conversations are unavoidable.
RolexZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2019, 04:55 AM   #14
asechase
Banned

Watch: 6265 Daytona
Last week I get a call from the boutique, they offered me at 15400, last one they had. I relinquished my spot in line for a 15500.
Incoming!

asechase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2019, 03:53 PM   #15
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asechase View Post
Last week I get a call from the boutique, they offered me at 15400, last one they had. I relinquished my spot in line for a 15500.
Incoming!

Congratulations Alec enjoy it