The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 18 April 2019, 02:29 AM   #1
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Is Dress watch required anymore?

I'm very tempted to buy a dress watch on leather. I have a Nomos Club and couple of inexpensive dress watches on straps which I hardly wear as they seem never tempting for any occasion. I don't have a lifestyle where it demands such a fine watch. But I'm always tempted to own one even knowing I will never wear it. Even when wearing suite and for any events, I think any Rolex or datejust is more than enough and doesn't warrant a leather strap watch. For daily wear I prefer bracelet and I stay at warmer climates. So, when would a normal, regular person can buy this watch and wear it?

I'm in love with Cellini, JLC, Nomos and even Zenith but never gets enough motivation to buy them as I will not wear them enough.

Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 02:31 AM   #2
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Has one ever been required?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 02:32 AM   #3
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
No. I myself would never buy a dress watch. But each to their own.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 02:34 AM   #4
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Personally, I opted for a cocktail time and put it on leather and used the saved funds on more sports models. Why spend $$ on something that might get worn a couple of times a year? You'll probably regret it.
herts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 02:36 AM   #5
quakeroatmeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Watch
My first watch was a dress watch, well at least I think it was a dress watch.

I was maybe 18 or 19 and bought a Rado V10K. I fell in love with it the moment I saw it, and paid it off little by little over the course of a summer.

Every week I would go to the mall (Menlo Mall in NJ) visit my watch and make a payment.

I rarely wear that watch now, but I still think its a beauty. I had no idea about watches then, but still loved this watch!

I usually only wear steel sports watches now though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg watch-rado-v10k-151797-large-1.jpg (35.3 KB, 453 views)
quakeroatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 02:36 AM   #6
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
I'm very tempted to buy a dress watch on leather. I have a Nomos Club and couple of inexpensive dress watches on straps which I hardly wear as they seem never tempting for any occasion. I don't have a lifestyle where it demands such a fine watch. But I'm always tempted to own one even knowing I will never wear it. Even when wearing suite and for any events, I think any Rolex or datejust is more than enough and doesn't warrant a leather strap watch. For daily wear I prefer bracelet and I stay at warmer climates. So, when would a normal, regular person can buy this watch and wear it?

I'm in love with Cellini, JLC, Nomos and even Zenith but never gets enough motivation to buy them as I will not wear them enough.

Well, anyone of these would look great with a shirt/tie, sport coat, or even chinos and a button down shirt as well. One can argue that for very formal events, watch is not required/to be worn anyway. The watches you posted here would look good with anything business casual.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 02:46 AM   #7
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
I see a dress watch as anything nice. No rules. It's more about how you wear your watch than what you wear. It may not work with clothes or shoes, but I've worn my GMT Master II BLRO with a tuxedo.
Old 18 April 2019, 02:50 AM   #8
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

My father purchased a Cartier Tank a decade or so ago and he never wears it except for the few times he wears a tuxedo. It's not a particularly expensive watch, but it certainly doesn't seem worth the investment. I own a Datejust 41 with a fluted bezel and Jubilee bracelet. I realize this doesn't qualify as a dress watch, but it fills the niche for me and can easily be used for more casual wear. If I were to purchase a "true" dress watch, I'd probably get something from Lange.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 03:14 AM   #9
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Nothing is required. I'm about to buy a Tank/Reverso simply because I find them brilliant and I wear suits often.
Old 18 April 2019, 03:19 AM   #10
Brew
"TRF" Member

None of these watches are "required" any longer. Go for it!
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 04:39 AM   #11
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
As to your specific dilemma, it sounds like you won’t wear it, so I’d say no.

To the broader question, a dress watch isn’t required, but if you enjoy the style it can be worn daily or for special occasions. Even what people consider a dress watch has changed. Few think twice about wearing a nice watch on a strap, with complications, at a dressy or formal affair.

My personal preference is to wear thinner strap watches with long sleeves, but I’m sure others would wear one with a short sleeve knit shirt too.

To use an example, most of Patek’s non-Nautilus/Aquanaut catalog are not “dress” watches in the traditional sense, but would be fine for dressed up occasions. They also make really nice daily wear watches.

Good luck with your decision.
bobernet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 06:32 AM   #12
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Love dress watches. And unless you're going for ultra-fine models, you can dress them down easily. JLC is a fabulous choice on a variety of straps. Recent Zenith offerings are not bad either.
Old 18 April 2019, 06:48 AM   #13
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I have a Patek Calatrava, JLC Reverso, Omega vintage from the 1940s, Seiko cocktail time, Hamilton Intra-matic and a bunch of others...I enjoy them and wear them.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 08:12 AM   #14
ts3
"TRF" Member

I am wearing my 3998P Calatrava much more than my 5711/1A Nautilus... Any jeans, unicolor T Shirt, and boots and I will happily wear the Calatrava not worrying about it being a dress watch... Won't ever sell that Calatrava either. Not so sure about the Nautilus though I am no seller currently...
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 08:26 AM   #15
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

I'd guess by all accounts these two would be classified as dress watches. that said, i wear both in all sorts of dress attire - casual, business, formal.

i love the fact that variations in straps for both allow such versatility.
i didn't seek them out with the intent is acquiring a 'dress watch'. rather, just wanted models that i considered perennial classics.
it just so happens that they easily handle that particular category need.

tonupbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 10:47 AM   #16
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Some might consider this a dress watch. I don’t. It gets worn frequently.

bobernet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 10:55 AM   #17
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Assorted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
I am wearing my 3998P Calatrava much more than my 5711/1A Nautilus... Any jeans, unicolor T Shirt, and boots and I will happily wear the Calatrava not worrying about it being a dress watch... Won't ever sell that Calatrava either. Not so sure about the Nautilus though I am no seller currently...

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alpharulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 10:59 AM   #18
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

In my opinion the Calatrava with the hobnail bezel is the definitive dress watch!

The JLC MUT or even the Vacheron Patrimony should do very well with a suit / tuxedo / tails ...

Or you could wear the Calatrava just because you can with your t- shirt and jeans as I do!

Old 18 April 2019, 11:16 AM   #19
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Had to illustrate!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 12:58 PM   #20
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Keep in mind that, in the past, a person's everyday watch was a dress watch. While times have changed, a dress watch can still easily be worn and not look out of place with khakis and a button down shirt. I wear this combination often and enthusiastically wear a dress watch.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 01:26 PM   #21
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Ever since my company went casual, I wear a suit maybe once or twice a year.

I manage a large software development organization.

I’m torn because I always thought one should wear a dress watch with a suit, but now I’m not so sure. I think I’m changing my mind on this.

I think a Sub and a Datejust are all that you need.

Plus, dress watches are a lot more fragile. For example, you can’t take them to the kitchen sink and give them a good bath with soap and water. You can do that with a sub and datejust though...

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 01:35 PM   #22
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I don’t think a strap time only watch need only be for formal attire. Also black tie proper form would be no watch at all. My take is do what you want.
Old 18 April 2019, 08:30 PM   #23
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I think a thin time only piece of any make on leather looks better than any diver in most situations. But to each his own.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 08:48 PM   #24
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
As stated before no need for a so called dress watch. But part of the fun of the watch game is buying what you like and wear. I cannot say go for it as I don't believe that you will wear it enough to justify the cost but if it is what you want, it is your money.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 12:15 AM   #25
evsnow
"TRF" Member

My ALS Saxonia Thin in WG is a dress watch but it really dresses up and down well. I like to wear it with jeans, t-shirt and sneakers and it looks great!
evsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 01:46 AM   #26
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

I wear a Panerai for everyday inc jacket and jeans, and recently bought a vintage Rolex DayDate for other occasions where a double-cuff won't allow my Panerai to be worn.
Old 19 April 2019, 02:21 AM   #27
kunlun
"TRF" Member

You can wear a dress watch with jeans or anything, just like a sub with a suit. Buy what you like and wear it.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 02:48 AM   #28
Drkitch109
"TRF" Member

I say no since I rock my 116660 with a suit

Drkitch109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 08:08 AM   #29
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
Had to illustrate!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 19 April 2019, 08:42 PM   #30
janice&fred
Banned

Watch: all of them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post
Keep in mind that, in the past, a person's everyday watch was a dress watch. While times have changed, a dress watch can still easily be worn and not look out of place with khakis and a button down shirt. I wear this combination often and enthusiastically wear a dress watch.
yep very true. watch the old movies and see what is on wrists. then watch new movies and be pleasantly surprised at how many casually dressed actors are wearing leather strap watches nowadays. same on the streets in real life. times did change but some stuff still works as it did 50 years ago. heck we have presidents and world leaders wearing plastic cheapie watches during formal state affairs so what's the difference nowadays?

the only point the OP brought up that hasn't been discussed much is wearing leather strap watches in hotter climates. here in the south pacific it's done but best to wear them on the loose side so they kinda "air out" on the wrist if one is outside away from air conditioning. oh and by the way the watches pictured in this thread are stunning! that hamilton intra-matic screams 60's snazz!
janice&fred is offline   Reply With Quote