The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 25 February 2012, 07:40 AM   #1
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
Thing to Consider Before Buying a Pre-Owned AP!!!

I hope this can become a sticky on the AP Forum as I believe a lot of people considering buying a pre-owned AP would benefit from the advice I am giving out.

Always keep in mind the following when making a purchase of a pre-owned AP. Especially when buying a Royal Oak or a Royal Oak Offshore.

1. If you own a vintage AP and don't know the service history on the watch do not send it in for service at AP unless it stops running. Don't let an independent watchmaker work on a vintage AP no matter what. The money you save today, you'll have to pay it tomorrow.

2. If you buy a pre-owned modern AP RO or ROO try to get one that is not very old (F series and up) ideally with some service history and in overall great shape. Don't by a beater even if it's a good deal! You'll pay the difference afterwards.

3. If you buy a 5402 be very careful with the crown and avoid using the quick-set calendar advance feature that comes with cal. 2121. (While the watch doesn't have a date setting crown position, you can quickly advance the date by going with the hands past midnight to around 1am or 2am and then back to 10pm to adjust the date without having to go around 24hrs for each day). This is not an isolated case as on the four 5402s that I've owned I always had problems with the crown stem breaking and the crown coming off will pulling it out to set the time. On one of them this happened twice in a two-year period. When pulling the crown out to set the time, pull very slowly! Another thing to consider will be to wind the watch via the crown by turning it no more than 5-7 turns.

4. On 5402s even after being serviced, AP doesn't guarantee any water-resistance. Don't even get it wet while washing your hands.

5. If you buy a ROO (Pre F-series) make sure it comes with service papers or service history. Otherwise stay away, unless you know the owner or the watch is really flawless.

6. Do not have the watch or bezel polished by independents. You might lose the AP bevels and bezel will become rounded over time and thin out. AP uses a special machine to keep the octagonal shape intact and polished/brushed areas perfectly balanced.

7. If you buy an AP still under warranty make sure to get the warranty registered and get your third year sticker. If the warranty is close to expire send the watch in and work will be done under warranty giving you another 2 years.

8. If you open a case back on a ROO do not attempt to open the anti-magnetic casing that holds the movement inside as those screws are very delicate. If you open the case back you are voiding any warranty on the watch as AP will know it was opened. Get it pressured test it if you do.

9. If you want to go AP make sure you have done your research, tried the watch on and have money ready for the service when the time comes. As Ken accurately mentioned, the service on modern APs will be expensive but not as expensive as it is on a Vintage piece like mine unless something is seriously wrong or other watchmakers before your ownership messed up the movement.

10. Stay away from a RO Quartz as changing the battery is something that needs to be done every 2-3 years. To change the battery you need to disassemble the whole watch. Remove the bezel, dial, hands, crown, etc. to access the movement and then replace the battery. If done by an independent there are a ton of things that can go wrong. Then again you will need to have AP do it and it gets really pricey even when it's just a battery change as they will still force you to do a periodic service.

I hope other owners and future owners learn from my experience and use this advice moving forward. I would hate to see anyone else go through the ordeals I've been dealing with this week.

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2012, 11:59 AM   #2
oceandweller

Omg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submarino View Post
I hope this can become a sticky on the AP Forum as I believe a lot of people considering buying a pre-owned AP would benefit from the advice I am giving out.

Always keep in mind the following when making a purchase of a pre-owned AP. Especially when buying a Royal Oak or a Royal Oak Offshore.

1. If you own a vintage AP and don't know the service history on the watch do not send it in for service at AP unless it stops running. Don't let an independent watchmaker work on a vintage AP no matter what. The money you save today, you'll have to pay it tomorrow.

2. If you buy a pre-owned modern AP RO or ROO try to get one that is not very old (F series and up) ideally with some service history and in overall great shape. Don't by a beater even if it's a good deal! You'll pay the difference afterwards.

3. If you buy a 5402 be very careful with the crown and avoid using the quick-set calendar advance feature that comes with cal. 2121. (While the watch doesn't have a date setting crown position, you can quickly advance the date by going with the hands past midnight to around 1am or 2am and then back to 10pm to adjust the date without having to go around 24hrs for each day). This is not an isolated case as on the four 5402s that I've owned I always had problems with the crown stem breaking and the crown coming off will pulling it out to set the time. On one of them this happened twice in a two-year period. When pulling the crown out to set the time, pull very slowly! Another thing to consider will be to wind the watch via the crown by turning it no more than 5-7 turns.

4. On 5402s even after being serviced, AP doesn't guarantee any water-resistance. Don't even get it wet while washing your hands.

5. If you buy a ROO (Pre F-series) make sure it comes with service papers or service history. Otherwise stay away, unless you know the owner or the watch is really flawless.

6. Do not have the watch or bezel polished by independents. You might lose the AP bevels and bezel will become rounded over time and thin out. AP uses a special machine to keep the octagonal shape intact and polished/brushed areas perfectly balanced.

7. If you buy an AP still under warranty make sure to get the warranty registered and get your third year sticker. If the warranty is close to expire send the watch in and work will be done under warranty giving you another 2 years.

8. If you open a case back on a ROO do not attempt to open the anti-magnetic casing that holds the movement inside as those screws are very delicate. If you open the case back you are voiding any warranty on the watch as AP will know it was opened. Get it pressured test it if you do.

9. If you want to go AP make sure you have done your research, tried the watch on and have money ready for the service when the time comes. As Ken accurately mentioned, the service on modern APs will be expensive but not as expensive as it is on a Vintage piece like mine unless something is seriously wrong or other watchmakers before your ownership messed up the movement.

10. Stay away from a RO Quartz as changing the battery is something that needs to be done every 2-3 years. To change the battery you need to disassemble the whole watch. Remove the bezel, dial, hands, crown, etc. to access the movement and then replace the battery. If done by an independent there are a ton of things that can go wrong. Then again you will need to have AP do it and it gets really pricey even when it's just a battery change as they will still force you to do a periodic service.

I hope other owners and future owners learn from my experience and use this advice moving forward. I would hate to see anyone else go through the ordeals I've been dealing with this week.

This is the only established brand-name watch, I have never owned. I believe it has a fabulous movement, second only to Patek Philippe.

With such an invaluable advice from you, I may have to rethink about owning a vintage example. The old Royal Oak is on the hit-list but as of now, it will not be a desirable piece, for me.

Though, I will not get anything with a quartz movement, it is good to learn the AP battery-change is akin to overhauling a watch.
oceandweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2012, 01:52 PM   #3
aboen
"TRF" Member

Great advise. Thanks
aboen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2012, 12:56 PM   #4
andrew79
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
perfect advise, thanks.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2012, 01:49 AM   #5
sms261

thumbs up for these great tips
sms261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2012, 02:03 PM   #6
cruvon
"TRF" Member

Wow, a lot of do's and dont's, thanks for the headsup. Wondering why the independents are not good enough to service vintage AP's though if decided to leave it unpolished, especially since I just saw a thread about AP quoting a 4 grand servicing bill on a vintage AP.

Last thing I remember, I was Running outta sight
I had to find the passage back,To the place I was before.
’Relax,’ said this Rolex place,We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like, But you can never leave!
cruvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2012, 02:09 PM   #7
psv
"TRF" Member

Informative. Thanks.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2012, 05:47 AM   #8
GeoffIsringhausenJr.
"TRF" Member

Great information, thanks!!
GeoffIsringhausenJr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2012, 09:56 AM   #9
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That

This one only applies if somethings is wrong with the watch within the initial warranty perios or are you recomending sending it in regardless?

Also I understand to get the three year warranty the watch much be water proof checked before the 2 years is up. How would you go about this if you don't live near a Boutique?

Very informative, thanks.

Dan

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2012, 06:18 PM   #10
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post

This one only applies if somethings is wrong with the watch within the initial warranty perios or are you recomending sending it in regardless?

Also I understand to get the three year warranty the watch much be water proof checked before the 2 years is up. How would you go about this if you don't live near a Boutique?

Very informative, thanks.

Dan
Yes Dan, You can register your watch on audemarspiguet.com and receive the sticker, Then wait until almost 2 years and send your watch and sticker to Clearwater Service Center for the extended warranty

And yes send it in regardless!

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2012, 05:09 AM   #11
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSW View Post
Yes Dan, You can register your watch on audemarspiguet.com and receive the sticker, Then wait until almost 2 years and send your watch and sticker to Clearwater Service Center for the extended warranty

Will do, thanks Thomas.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2012, 05:27 PM   #12
Dickson Lim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSW View Post

Thomas, I had enquiry my AD about this issue. The manager told me that it is not necessarily the case to send in your watch to a service centre for water resistant check once it is updated in AP datebase (you will now obtain the 3rd year warranty), as some places don't have a service centre in the country, just like mine (the estimated turnover time range from 8-12weeks). However, not sure if it is 100% correct. Hope it helps.
Old 22 April 2012, 05:29 AM   #13
dsio
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680 '79
Do you guys have some service cost examples (both for regular servicing and for major overhauls).
-- Rolex Submariner 1680 "Ghost" '79 --
-- Rolex SS Daytona 116520 '04 --
dsio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2012, 06:22 AM   #14
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio View Post
Do you guys have some service cost examples (both for regular servicing and for major overhauls).
You can find the regular service rates at http://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/ser...ge=maintenance

A vintage AP overhaul completely different story.

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2012, 01:15 AM   #15
2th Dr
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Good Lord! I was actually considering buying an AP, but with all this information, I'm not sure it's worth it. Think I'll stick with Rolex for now...
2th Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2012, 07:33 AM   #16
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2th DR View Post
Good Lord! I was actually considering buying an AP, but with all this information, I'm not sure it's worth it. Think I'll stick with Rolex for now...
What scares you? There is nothing to be worried about (especially if you bought new). Go get one...you won't regret it
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2012, 10:15 AM   #17
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2th DR View Post
I wouldn't let this scare you Mark. I have nothing but good experience with AP and found their service quite reasonable. My AP RB2 Ti is at AP Service Center now in Clearwater and my cost for full overhaul and parts was roughly $1K total. JMHO so take it for what it's worth.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2012, 10:54 AM   #18
dimitros
"TRF" Member

Watch: NDSub/PAM176/R1931
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan65 View Post
I wouldn't let this scare you Mark. I have nothing but good experience with AP and found their service quite reasonable. My AP RB2 Ti is at AP Service Center now in Clearwater and my cost for full overhaul and parts was roughly $1K total. JMHO so take it for what it's worth.
Wow, costs almost as much as the 4 year major service on my P-car...
As far as vintage APs, about as reliable as a Jag from the same year?

If you get a 15300 for $10K, preloved, today. In 5 years you send it in for service that runs about or greater than 10% of the value of the watch?
Sounds like something straight out of the Maserati playbook.

I guess you gotta pay to play!
dimitros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2012, 11:02 AM   #19
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitros View Post

Yep

Now come on over the 15300 is C A L L I N G you...get one quick
Old 30 May 2012, 11:02 AM   #20
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Wow, costs almost as much as the 4 year major service on my P-car...
As far as vintage APs, about as reliable as a Jag from the same year?

If you get a 15300 for $10K, preloved, today. In 5 years you send it in for service that runs about or greater than 10% of the value of the watch?
Sounds like something straight out of the Maserati playbook.

$1k for a $48k watch isn't bad IMHO. Don't forget a $7,000 dollar Rolex costs about $750-$800 for full service. Any expensive or high end watch is going to cost a fair amount to service. If one has to worry about cost of service probably shouldn't be buying high end watches.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2012, 11:10 AM   #21
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I have a swear jar that I contribute $1 every time I cuss. The funds go towards watch maintenance. I swear too much. Sh!t it's better than drinking coffee or smoking. At this rate I'll have enough to service ALL my watches within the year..

kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2012, 11:42 AM   #22
dimitros
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan65 View Post
$1k for a $48k watch isn't bad IMHO. Don't forget a $7,000 dollar Rolex costs about $750-$800 for full service. Any expensive or high end watch is going to cost a fair amount to service. If one has to worry about cost of service probably shouldn't be buying high end watches.
$1K for service on a $48K watch isn't bad at all... Esp if its something like a Patek and will maintain or increase value.

Analogy:
$6K to service a $250K late model Ferrari, that you can sell in a few years for for not too much off of what you paid is one thing.

But $6K on a Maserati which will be worth 60 to 70K, and even less the next time around, not a great value unless you really love Maserati. BTW That Gran Turismo sure is purrrrty....

Back to watches: Service fees amounting >10% of a watch that doesn't hold its value like others... Not a great value proposition.
Just sayin'...
Not that buying a luxury watch is a "rational" decision in the first place...
I am just asking myself how badly I want the 15300...
Old 30 May 2012, 11:47 AM   #23
dimitros
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
I have a swear jar that I contribute $1 every time I cuss. The funds go towards watch maintenance. I swear too much. Sh!t it's better than drinking coffee or smoking. At this rate I'll have enough to service ALL my watches within the year..

Haha, I swear too!

but in foreign languages...

It makes me feel more worldly!
Old 30 May 2012, 11:57 AM   #24
S``
"TRF" Member

dimitros,

honestly speaking, I've seen the 15300 pre-loved increased from around 7.5-8kish 2 years ago for a G serial to go 10-10.5k for it...

don't think it's losing that much value...

my 0.01 cents
S`` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2012, 12:17 PM   #25
dimitros
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S`` View Post
dimitros,

honestly speaking, I've seen the 15300 pre-loved increased from around 7.5-8kish 2 years ago for a G serial to go 10-10.5k for it...

don't think it's losing that much value...

my 0.01 cents
Its nice to know what one is getting into before going into a piece and this hobby in general. I am grateful to Submarino for posting his Sticky. Its invaluable and could potentially save others from heartache and headache. Perhaps it spooked me a little.

To one of our esteemed moderators,
Maybe I am not lucky or smart enough at this point in life to be able to afford multiple haute grand complications piece like some here. I am from modest means and have worked hard to get where I am, but I won't stay where I am or improve my standing by making imprudent decisions. I assure you I can afford the pieces that I own or I wouldn't have bought them in the first place. I can afford the 15300 easily, I could stretch into a grand complication. But to imply I shouldn't be into luxury watches in general, I find a little harsh. But I respect that opinion. I am a but a WIS acloyte, seeking someday to become a member of the horological cloth.

Thanks for your input S'.
Thats what I love about this board, its a community of enthusiasts who are willing to share opinions, experiences and useful insight about this hobby.
Old 30 May 2012, 09:41 PM   #26
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Its nice to know what one is getting into before going into a piece and this hobby in general. I am grateful to Submarino for posting his Sticky. Its invaluable and could potentially save others from heartache and headache. Perhaps it spooked me a little.

To one of our esteemed moderators,
Maybe I am not lucky or smart enough at this point in life to be able to afford multiple haute grand complications piece like some here. I am from modest means and have worked hard to get where I am, but I won't stay where I am or improve my standing by making imprudent decisions. I assure you I can afford the pieces that I own or I wouldn't have bought them in the first place. I can afford the 15300 easily, I could stretch into a grand complication. But to imply I shouldn't be into luxury watches in general, I find a little harsh. But I respect that opinion. I am a but a WIS acloyte, seeking someday to become a member of the horological cloth.

Thanks for your input S'.
Thats what I love about this board, its a community of enthusiasts who are willing to share opinions, experiences and useful insight about this hobby.
Back to enabling..

Okay so are you settled on a 15300
Old 30 May 2012, 09:55 PM   #27
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
My thread is informative and shouldn't deter anyone from buying AP. IMHO this is a brand that it's worth every penny. I love how discreet APs are among non-WIS people and being part of the holy trinity of watchmaking is something else. I just wanted to help people make more educated buys. We all know that this hobby involves a lot of impulse buying and that could be dangerous. All I can say at this time is GO FOR THE 15300!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Watches are the new currency!

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2012, 08:12 AM   #28
BgJoe79
"TRF" Member

I be wanting to buy an ap roo and that was the best info I ever heard by anyone about this watch I've been holding back because I don't want Pre owned and brand new is up there but love that watch Thankx for that info I will probably get one through an authorized dealer cause I'm very particular about my watches Thankx SUBMARINO
BgJoe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2012, 09:43 PM   #29
captiva

I am interested in the 44mm AP ROO chronograph, ref 26400 stainless steel. Any experts can advice if this a good time piece to own as in the following.

1. Cost of maintaince
2. Value of investment (any idea how many % des AP increase fees yearly)
3. How much should I pay a Preowned watch?

Thank you for your help.
captiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2012, 09:50 PM   #30
Blue Owl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV 116610LV
Thanks for this great info, H!
Blue Owl is offline   Reply With Quote