The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 16 April 2019, 01:33 AM   #61
nick c
Banned

It’s a Quartz movement?
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 01:44 AM   #62
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
It’s a Quartz movement?
No. The quartz variants selling for about USD1,000 are replicas.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 01:57 AM   #63
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongster View Post
No. The quartz variants selling for about USD1,000 are replicas.

I see. Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 10:46 PM   #64
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongster View Post
Actually it appears the ponying up is for the customized versions. The regular versions come cheaper. And that’s where am headed. Just need to figure out the logistics.
By "pony up" for the regular version I meant you are paying over retail materially for either an original issue Joker or a Clown.

For the custom watch people don't seem to think about the additional premium the same way as they'd think about a grey market / reseller premium as it's essentially the retail cost for the custom order.

In my opinion the premium for the custom orders seems very high, if I recall correctly it was 75% or so over the price of the most recent "regular" models and 100-125% over the original Joker. Perhaps this is just Chaykin capturing the premium over retail in the market for his regular models, and I don't really begrudge him that.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2022, 10:42 PM   #65
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

I e-mailed them back at the end of 2019, the price back then started at 12.900 euro for SS and 15.000 euro for titanium.

The Clown II Audacity was only 10.500 euro.

I just looked at their current prices, starting FROM 25.000 euro/28.000 usd for the clown model. Quite the price rise.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2022, 04:27 PM   #66
Cdaddylutz
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
How about now?
Available now?
Cdaddylutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2022, 04:39 PM   #67
salnuaimi
"TRF" Member

the prices are so much for such a gimmicky watch to be honest

they almost increased by 1.5x
salnuaimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2022, 06:51 AM   #68
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Don’t these use an ETA base still? I’m all for ETA movements like two of my watches now but I’m not ok with them on anything over $10k or so.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2023, 02:40 PM   #69
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
The Time-Eater is alive! Louis Erard and Konstantin Chaykin

Image.jpg

This video is funny

Louis Erard delivers his regulator as a sacrifice to a very strange creature: a grotesque saw-mouthed cyclops. A mythological figure reinterpreted by the master watchmaker Konstantin Chaykin.
Two colour variations, in limited editions (twice 178 pieces) and in a diptych (box set limited to 28 pieces).

Louis Erard x Konstantin Chaykin. Two door openers. Louis Erard, maker of beautiful and accessible Swiss made watches, has become a mentor for cross-disciplinary collaborations under the direction of Manuel Emch, with métiers d’art (guillochage, marquetry, enamel), with creators (seconde/seconde, atelier oï, Label Noir, Massena Lab) and with the great names of independent watchmaking (Alain Silberstein, Vianney Halter) – and others to come.

Konstantin Chaykin is a member of the AHCI (Académie Horlogère des Créateurs Indépendants) with a worldwide reputation and proven inventiveness (94 patents). The master watchmaker has also earned a reputation in the very special world of watches with faces. Faces of monsters. The collection is called Wristmons (wrist monsters), it was launched in 2017 and has been expanding every year since, like a big family of happy villains.

The meeting between Louis Erard and Konstantin Chaykin gave birth to a strange creature. A one-eyed monster to which the mechanics give life. The difference is that this time we are not even looking at the time, it is the time that is looking at us: the hour is a single, large, round eye.

This cyclopean gaze takes up the original elements of the Wristmons and more particularly of Konstantin Chaykin’s first Joker watch – whose eyes were made up of white discs marked with a dot, both pupil and indicator.

Except that this Cyclops does not come from Greece, he has crossed the Balkans. The evil eye of Slavic tales, he is called Likho. Konstantin Chaykin explains how it came about: “Every Halloween I created a new type of monster, i.e. wristwatches with a Halloween theme, such as the pumpkin head watch and the Dracula watch, for example. Looking for ideas for this story, I turned to the one-eyed Likho character from fairy tales.”

So this is not Konstantin Chaykin’s first diversionary exercise. Nor is it Louis Erard’s, who has even built up a solid reputation in this field over the last few years, with special editions that link two worlds that do not normally interact: fine affordable watchmaking in the Swiss tradition and high creativity. According to the principle that proves itself from edition to edition: “Together we are always stronger” – the editions are always limited to 178 pieces, a number that symbolises the leitmotif.

Everything was ready for the meeting with Konstantin Chaykin. A new carte blanche, but still based on an imposed figure: respecting the architecture of Louis Erard’s signature regulator, with central minute, hour at noon and second at six o’clock. All that was left for Konstantin Chaykin to do was to build the face with one eye. He made it the Likho’s eye as a kind of protective amulet against evil spirits.

For the small second at six o’clock, the watchmaker dressed it in a disc with pointed teeth, turning like the devouring mouth of an ogre. Cross inspiration, as Konstantin Chaykin explains: “I remembered Francisco Goya and his Saturn devouring one of his sons. I thought of a Stephen King short story, The Langoliers, time eaters”.

The monster was only missing an arm. The central minute hand will give him that. Konstantin Chaykin makes it cross the dial and gives it “two hands turning in a circle”. And to complete the cartoonish character, the watchmaker has played with “specific finger combinations”, which give the whole thing the appearance of an arrow: a point at one end, a plumage at the other; a finger stretched out on one side, a sign of the horns at the other end. However, the watchmaker adds: “It is up to each person to interpret the meaning”.

The creature is completed with a black toad strap and comes in two versions. A purple hour circle for the 39 mm piece and a green one for the 42 mm, both at the shocking price of 4000 francs. The two versions form a diptych, proposed in a special box at 7900 francs and limited to only 28 pieces.
https://louiserard.com/press_post_co...v=baa904278574
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2023, 09:41 PM   #70
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Great video, love it!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2023, 12:52 AM   #71
WatchTimes
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
I liked the past two of his watches but this one just looks too freaky for me.
Its like some horrid monster you would see on Futurama or the Simpsons.

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote