The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: How many members have purchased grey at a premium for a hot piece?
I have - and it hurt but it was worth it. I am enjoying the watch 153 31.48%
I won't - it goes against my principles. I'll wait the several years it might take to get the watch 333 68.52%
Voters: 486. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17 April 2019, 12:09 PM   #1
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

How many members have purchased grey at a premium for a hot piece?

Just curious about how many members have purchased grey market for a hot piece (ie BLNR, BLRO, Daytona).

I know paying over MSRP is a controversial topic and many say they wouldn't go a penny over. But in this current environment - for those of you who really want a piece... How many have actually ponied up the cash and pulled the trigger? It's gotta be happening because these pieces are definitely selling as seen on watchrecon, etc.

Pics if you have 'em and stories about the kick in the pants you felt when you made the move are welcome :)
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 12:14 PM   #2
astewartconst
"TRF" Member

I have not and would not. For me the value is lost on the mentioned pieces at the prices they are going for thought gray market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
astewartconst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 12:17 PM   #3
mrporter
"TRF" Member

I bought my BLNR and Daytona C from grey. But of course the Daytona had more premium compare with the BLNR. Was really nervous when picking up the Daytona but since I got it for my bday Im all good.

Old 17 April 2019, 12:22 PM   #4
Steerpike999
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
If we are taking a poll, my answer is no.

I can and have waited for a piece I have wanted and purchased from an AD at retail or below.
I have wanted many watches but never needed one so badly that i would pay more than its retail cost.

It's a watch not a kidney.
Steerpike999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 12:30 PM   #5
HEDHNTR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Snoopy 50th
Purchased my SD43 from a grey. Excluding Seattle sales tax, in addition to MSRP, paid about a 10% premium. Worth it to acquire this watch when I wanted.

HEDHNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 12:30 PM   #6
BzKneez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steerpike999 View Post

I can and have waited for a piece I have wanted and purchased from an AD at retail or below.
I have wanted many watches but never needed one so badly that i would pay more than its retail cost.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
BzKneez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 12:37 PM   #7
timeisfathaoftruth
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,Daytona,GMT,YM
Haven't and wouldn't. Just doesn't make sense to me.
Old 17 April 2019, 12:48 PM   #8
Coopdog
"TRF" Member

Bought this two weeks ago for a pretty decent grey market price considering the prices I have seen.

I had picked up a new 116710LN a couple months before Baselworld and I hadn’t really worn it. I love that watch, but the Pepsi has been holy grail status for me ever since it was released. I had resigned myself to just not getting a Pepsi because I couldn’t justify the cost on the grey market, and I don’t really have a shot with an AD in my area. When the LN got discontinued, secondhand prices for recent versions popped up. I took the opportunity and using that as trade value plus selling some odds and ends, I was able to get this awesome watch. Still hard for me to believe I’m actually wearing it, it’s amazing!

Without going on a rant, I’m a big fan of the grey market. I get that some purists don’t want to pay over retail, but for me it’s way better than pandering to ADs to buy the watch you want. I can afford a nice watch or two but I definitely can’t afford to spend the kind of money it would take to actually “get on the list” in Los Angeles. Nor would I want to, I don’t have any need for jewelry and precious metal watches - it isn’t my style.

At least on the grey market my money is as good as anyone else’s. Also for a watch enthusiast the price increases / decreases sort of cancel out. Sure the BLRO was expensive, but I owned a different stainless Rolex that had increasing trade value since the whole market is insane. If the whole market goes down, my BLRO will still trade for another great watch if I ever wanted to get rid of it (don’t think I will...).

Coopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 12:50 PM   #9
zengineer
"TRF" Member

I'll pay a few dollars now and then to get something I bought a day or two quicker. I'm not paying $8,000 to get a watch faster.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 12:53 PM   #10
JayHantz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @Escapementt
I got all mine from my AD, however if there is ever one that I can get for a discount (DJ, etc) then I may go gray.
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 01:04 PM   #11
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

I’ve only bought used from gray dealers. Never at a premium.
Old 17 April 2019, 01:06 PM   #12
Charlie3755
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16520:18239:16750
Quote:

Charlie3755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 01:21 PM   #13
Gotgolf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Majority of us have good relationships with local AD, we prolly able to get rare pieces at AD rather than paying grey prices.
Gotgolf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 01:25 PM   #14
dnpina
Banned

Watch: 126610 LV
Terrible pic, but all 3 at msrp from the same AD. Before owning the new steel blro i would have said "not a penny over retail". After having it, i would go grey. For me, it's the perfect watch and worth whatever you are willing to part with for it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
dnpina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 01:36 PM   #15
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnpina View Post
Terrible pic, but all 3 at msrp from the same AD. Before owning the new steel blro i would have said "not a penny over retail". After having it, i would go grey. For me, it's the perfect watch and worth whatever you are willing to part with for it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Wow! Awesome pieces. What was your purchase history with this AD prior?
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 01:42 PM   #16
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopdog View Post

Bought this two weeks ago for a pretty decent grey market price considering the prices I have seen.

I had picked up a new 116710LN a couple months before Baselworld and I hadn’t really worn it. I love that watch, but the Pepsi has been holy grail status for me ever since it was released. I had resigned myself to just not getting a Pepsi because I couldn’t justify the cost on the grey market, and I don’t really have a shot with an AD in my area. When the LN got discontinued, secondhand prices for recent versions popped up. I took the opportunity and using that as trade value plus selling some odds and ends, I was able to get this awesome watch. Still hard for me to believe I’m actually wearing it, it’s amazing!

Without going on a rant, I’m a big fan of the grey market. I get that some purists don’t want to pay over retail, but for me it’s way better than pandering to ADs to buy the watch you want. I can afford a nice watch or two but I definitely can’t afford to spend the kind of money it would take to actually “get on the list” in Los Angeles. Nor would I want to, I don’t have any need for jewelry and precious metal watches - it isn’t my style.

At least on the grey market my money is as good as anyone else’s. Also for a watch enthusiast the price increases / decreases sort of cancel out. Sure the BLRO was expensive, but I owned a different stainless Rolex that had increasing trade value since the whole market is insane. If the whole market goes down, my BLRO will still trade for another great watch if I ever wanted to get rid of it (don’t think I will...).

Did you get a significant premium over the price you paid for your SS watch from the grey dealer? I was told they gave you the price based on what you paid for it, not what it’s worth now?

Interested to hear how that works. Thanks.

♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
BumbleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 01:47 PM   #17
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
I paid a premium at a Grey delaer in Tokyo for my Deepsea Blue which was brand new. I paid about 10% extra. I had a reputation with an AD back home as I had bought a PM for my wife and and SS years ago but the waiting list was too long (they told me more than 3 years). So i just got it in Tokyo from a grey seller. Glad i did it because it’s been my main watch ever since.

♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
BumbleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 01:51 PM   #18
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
I almost always buy new from AD. I did buy my last AP ROC from. Gray dealer. It was BNIB and under msrp so I thought that was better than buying from an AP AD. But when we are talking over msrp I’d rather just sit tight and wait until my AD comes through. They almost always do.

Old 17 April 2019, 02:11 PM   #19
ricardo-sf
"TRF" Member

i bought grey -- but i paid less than MSRP for the piece and saved sales tax .. so it was a better route than the AD for the sub i was buying.

if i had so much money that $10k was a drop in the bucket i would not hesitate to buy a BLRO from grey ..

unfortunately 10k is a reasonable ammount of money for me.
ricardo-sf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 02:12 PM   #20
wisguy
"TRF" Member

Some sage once said "he who hesitates... masturbates"
Old 17 April 2019, 02:15 PM   #21
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

Never. I'll wait decades to get what I want at the right price.
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 02:15 PM   #22
Coopdog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleB View Post
Did you get a significant premium over the price you paid for your SS watch from the grey dealer? I was told they gave you the price based on what you paid for it, not what it’s worth now?

Interested to hear how that works. Thanks.

If you want to hear the whole story PM me because it’s kind of convoluted. I like wearing different watches so I trade em out through different avenues. Short answer I made about 30% net on the watch I traded away.

Old 17 April 2019, 02:25 PM   #23
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Bought my first Rolex SS GMTc LN for £4950 from a grey dealer and have continued dealing with greys ever since. Only one piece from AD. Have moved country so many times over last 10yrs so no chance to build ‘relationship’ anyways.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 02:39 PM   #24
Maverick_1908
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:

“It’s a watch, not a kidney.”

Quote of the year.

Maverick_1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 02:43 PM   #25
InitialAndPitch
Banned

Watch: GMT-II BLRO PEPSI
I’m watching the survey results that so far say most wouldn’t pay a premium. It shows one of 3 things. 1. This forum is unrepresentative of the Rolex buying world or 2. It only takes 20% paying a premium to cause the bubble or 3. Maybe a few have fudged their answers.

Hard to know which one.
InitialAndPitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 02:58 PM   #26
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialAndPitch View Post
I’m watching the survey results that so far say most wouldn’t pay a premium. It shows one of 3 things. 1. This forum is unrepresentative of the Rolex buying world or 2. It only takes 20% paying a premium to cause the bubble or 3. Maybe a few have fudged their answers.

Hard to know which one.
Or unrepresentative proportion is answering this survey.. maybe the “I won’t pay over retail and I want my name on the card”-crowd is more passionate about the subject.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 02:58 PM   #27
Gmt21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1665
I would love to do a survey of sorts of the people willing to shell out for hot watches/ vs the many people I see commenting that they will never ever pay over retail?

Say in five years I wonder how many of those “never pay over retail” have given up? Or sucked up to the Greys. After 3 years on one list I gave up and paid up, but I got what I wanted.
Gmt21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 03:00 PM   #28
Coopdog
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Exactly. People wait on lists for kidneys. If you want a watch just go buy it :).

Old 17 April 2019, 03:08 PM   #29
Steerpike999
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopdog View Post
Exactly. People wait on lists for kidneys. If you want a watch just go buy it :).
My point is that a watch is not necessary, its a luxury a want rather than a need. A kidney (or two) are a need.

I choose not to pay above recommended retail price if I want a particular watch. No criticism is implied to those that do choose to pay, Its your money Ralph!

Steerpike999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 03:10 PM   #30
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

This poll is missing an option for "I haven't but I would consider it."

I don't see myself ever paying a huge markup for a watch. At some point, I'd rather just move on to a higher-tier brand. But I'd happily pay a smaller markup. There are times when they grey markup on popular watches is only a bit more than I'd pay in tax from an AD -- I'd be willing to go for that if the urge struck me.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote