The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: How many members have purchased grey at a premium for a hot piece?
I have - and it hurt but it was worth it. I am enjoying the watch 153 31.48%
I won't - it goes against my principles. I'll wait the several years it might take to get the watch 333 68.52%
Voters: 486. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17 April 2019, 03:12 PM   #31
Coopdog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steerpike999 View Post
My point is that a watch is not necessary, its a luxury a want rather than a need. A kidney (or two) are a need.

I choose not to pay above recommended retail price if I want a particular watch. No criticism is implied to those that do choose to pay, Its your money Ralph!

I know I was just making a joke because it struck me that the AD is similar to a transplant - you get that call you drop everything and come running! Lol. Who’s Ralph?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 03:14 PM   #32
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
This poll is missing an option for "I haven't but I would consider it."

I don't see myself ever paying a huge markup for a watch. At some point, I'd rather just move on to a higher-tier brand. But I'd happily pay a smaller markup. There are times when they grey markup on popular watches is only a bit more than I'd pay in tax from an AD -- I'd be willing to go for that if the urge struck me.

Fair point, I should have included that option of the middle ground. I don't think there's a way to edit now!

Your comment about slight mark up was true for the Batman just 6-8 months ago when it was at around 10-11k. Insane how news of discontinuation really have driven it up so much more leading up to and after Basel
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 03:16 PM   #33
Bebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: U macallit
I would never ever pay more than msrp. It’s just a watch. No reason to pay 100% mark-up. Having said that, I would be willing to buy from grey market if their price is lower than msrp.

--- __0 __0 __0
----_-\<,_ -\<,
_(_)(_)/_(_)/ (_)
Bebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 03:19 PM   #34
Steerpike999
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopdog View Post
I know I was just making a joke because it struck me that the AD is similar to a transplant - you get that call you drop everything and come running! Lol. Who’s Ralph?

Famous Commercial in Victoria (Australia) from the 80's, always stuck in my mind and was a bit of a meme (before memes!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KQl51a8_48
Steerpike999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 03:19 PM   #35
gttime
"TRF" Member

How many members have purchased grey at a premium for a hot piece?

10% markup on my SD43 and DSSD, minimal markup and happy to have the pieces. I did eventually get the call for a DSSD from local AD and that sucked, I was surprised for sure. Would have been nice to start a relationship with them.

Would never pay some of the crazy premiums I’m seeing.
gttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 03:24 PM   #36
Steed
"TRF" Member

I’ve only ever bought from ADs in the past but for my 116519LN I went grey as the premium was very small and I didn’t want to wait. I bought a Datejust for my daughter last month from an AD and can say that the service level and care was no different from the grey. For some life is too short, for others the principal of not paying matters more. I just think - do whatever makes you happy.
Steed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 03:42 PM   #37
007timer
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
This is a very interesting thread. I wondered about this as I see SS Daytona C’s listing/selling north of $25K. Others such as the BLRO & BLNR Are still trading in the same % category as the Daytona.

I personally would buy grey (even used in excellent condition, full set, etc etc) is the price is right. I have bought from AD’s, Grey & Used and happy with all 3. I struggle deeply with paying a premium for a watch.

007timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 04:21 PM   #38
ImSorryBut...
Banned

Time > Money
ImSorryBut... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 04:25 PM   #39
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

I bought LVc from gray, but just below retail (the year after it came out).

I bought Explorer 2 42mm from gray for below retail.

I bought SD43 for about $1,000 over MSPR (plus tax).

Bought DSSD D-blue for retail from AD ... then GMT BLRO for retail from AD. Trying to only buy at retail from here on out. On list for Daytona 500C (white) and Sub LVC.
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 04:37 PM   #40
clb521
"TRF" Member

Seems like most people say they will never pay over retail. If that's the case who's buying all of these Daytonas at 24k or batman's at 17k? They always seem to sell and there are always a few for sale.

That said I only paid over retail for my Daytona. I will wait for a batman and not pay premium for it.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
clb521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 04:55 PM   #41
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
I bought SD43 and BLNR from greys with a markup. Got a discount from a grey on a Explorer II Polar. Also bought SS from ADs for MSRP.
Whatever means are necessary to expand the collection of watches I will use.
Batmannr1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 05:40 PM   #42
myusernamez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardo-sf View Post
i bought grey -- but i paid less than MSRP for the piece and saved sales tax .. so it was a better route than the AD for the sub i was buying.

if i had so much money that $10k was a drop in the bucket i would not hesitate to buy a BLRO from grey ..

unfortunately 10k is a reasonable ammount of money for me.
10K is a lot for anyone - doesn't matter how much money you have. As mentioned before I am pretty sure most of the people buying grey should not because pretty sure they all have either a low or even negative net worth. (maybe the poll should have asked about net worth also..)

All these watches will come back on the market one day, there is no global shortage if you look at how many are on Chrono so just wait and sit tight. With the money you save you'll het a new hot watch in 5 years time while the grey buyer will lose about 10-12K on his watch and shit his pants while begging the AD for a MSRP one. There is only so much money one can lose before they lose the will to "invest" in a watch.
Old 17 April 2019, 05:56 PM   #43
badlarry
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Skydweller
I bought from a grey for first time back in January for a stainless skydweller, paid about 2k over retail which I was ok with. It’s a subjective question and I didn’t think that relative to net worth as some have said, if you have money set aside for a piece and don’t want to wait a year or several years what’s the difference? A previous poster here said they’ll wait decades for the right watch at the right price, to me that’s as crazy as paying well over msrp from a grey. If a ss skydweller is $14,400 retail but wait a year or $16,000 from grey and take it tomorrow what’s really difference after tax? No one is getting one for a discount anyway so all in here in CT I was maybe 1k over what I’d have paid from AD. Anyway that’s my experience ymmv!

badlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 06:11 PM   #44
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
Was tempted. Very close.
Then I discovered a palliative measure while I hopelessly wait.

I am now a budding Seikoholic as a result of waiting for Godot aka SS Professional Model.

Maybe next year.

Sent from my TRT-LX2 using Tapatalk
yoniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 06:18 PM   #45
Brew
"TRF" Member

I don't care for these hawt pieces. I can wait until they freely appear on my doorstep.

[Note, there are one or two hawt ones I'd enter a raffle to win . . . . ]
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 06:22 PM   #46
swatty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Game
I have purchased from Grey dealers many times. At a time when their prices where lower than retail
swatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 07:08 PM   #47
Rogdogg
"TRF" Member

The only premium I would pay to get a watch faster would be priority shipping. Other than that I'll wait thanks.
Old 17 April 2019, 07:23 PM   #48
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by likestheshiny View Post
this poll is missing an option for "i haven't but i would consider it."
+1
SkyJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 08:19 PM   #49
Rollie8
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR, BLRO, Sub-C
I have never purchased from a grey but wouldn’t rule out ever doing so. The “right answer” is different for each individual. Yes, there are some on this forum who probably would be better served through patience and have no business paying hefty premiums for discretionary luxury goods as it might compromise some other aspect of their lives. Conversely, there are others who have the means and for whom time is far more valuable than the incremental next dollar or thousands of dollars sitting idly in their bank account when they could be enjoying something they really like. That’s life, no one size fits all answer for each individual. Anyways, hope everybody is off to a great start on their week.

Rollie8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 08:31 PM   #50
tng11
"TRF" Member

I paid over retail for a white 116500 about a year ago. That was a bargain compared to prices today. I enjoyed the watch but it nagged me too. I sold it in December, made some money and plowed it into the 116519LN.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 08:32 PM   #51
nick800
"TRF" Member

I really don’t understand the fascination with this topic. Who cares what people do with their money as long as it isn’t illegal or unethical.
nick800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 08:35 PM   #52
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
My max wait would be 6 months, after that I would buy the watch if I still really wanted it.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 08:42 PM   #53
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have and will again. I do not make a practice of it but if I want the watch and the Grey price is somewhat reasonable, under 20% over msrp, I will consider it. When the prices move beyond that I have not seen a model I would pay for.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 08:45 PM   #54
ccaballero
"TRF" Member

Watch: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I have and will again. I do not make a practice of it but if I want the watch and the Grey price is somewhat reasonable, under 20% over msrp, I will consider it. When the prices move beyond that I have not seen a model I would pay for.
This is a sound approach. A moderate premium is acceptable faced with a Years long wait list.
ccaballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 08:47 PM   #55
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Many will mock me, but I paid over list through a gray for this.

I dont plan on moving it, and it's one of my favourite references.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 08:50 PM   #56
peterpl
Banned

There is not a single watch that I feel that I need to have. Maybe reasonable price over msrp would be ok but when we are talking 100% markup over MSRP?

Naaahhh - its just a watch. It wont change my life in any way or form in all honesty. And in real life any watch after honeymoon period becomes less special no matter how much you think you love it. Has happened with pretty much every watch I have ever owned thats probably over 15 Rolex's easily.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 08:59 PM   #57
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliminator View Post
Just curious about how many members have purchased grey market for a hot piece (ie BLNR, BLRO, Daytona).

I know paying over MSRP is a controversial topic and many say they wouldn't go a penny over. But in this current environment - for those of you who really want a piece... How many have actually ponied up the cash and pulled the trigger? It's gotta be happening because these pieces are definitely selling as seen on watchrecon, etc.

Pics if you have 'em and stories about the kick in the pants you felt when you made the move are welcome :)
Define a hot piece is this one of the various Rolex watches the internet hype has made them must have.Or do members today buy these so called hot models to wear the watch or the hype.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 09:08 PM   #58
myusernamez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSorryBut... View Post
Time > Money
You don't lose time while waiting for a watch to arrive and it doesn't cost you anything. So that big boss statement you are trying to make is false.

That comment only makes sense if you would make more money when buying grey and make it faster instead of waiting for MSRP. Which would never be the case for a watch.
Old 17 April 2019, 09:10 PM   #59
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSorryBut... View Post
Time > Money
That would.make sense if we were discussing getting a watch at an AD by actually camping out on their sidewalk for 6 months or cutting the owners grass for a year. It's an expression I apply when deciding to pay someone to paint my house so I don't need to spend hours and hours of my time doing it.

I don't buy it as an arguement when we are simply talking about paying significantly more just to get something sooner.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 09:20 PM   #60
VegasMilgauss
"TRF" Member

I have not and would not however, for some people time is a more limited asset than money.
VegasMilgauss is offline   Reply With Quote