The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: How many members have purchased grey at a premium for a hot piece?
I have - and it hurt but it was worth it. I am enjoying the watch 153 31.48%
I won't - it goes against my principles. I'll wait the several years it might take to get the watch 333 68.52%
Voters: 486. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17 April 2019, 09:47 PM   #61
Luke@TRF
"TRF" Member

Would rather buy PM than paying prem for ss at grey tbh. Don’t make no sense
Luke@TRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 10:00 PM   #62
Sky21
"TRF" Member

I have purchased used from the gray market but not a new current production model. I have purchased two BNIB from my local AD and haven’t yet felt the need to pay over MSRP for a hot model. I answered no to the poll but I have nothing against the current market principles at work, although I do hope the supply of most models at my local AD increases a bit over what they’ve had the last 18 months or so.
Sky21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 10:03 PM   #63
Moggo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, SD4K, Exp 1
Never would pay over retail, if any greys out there want to sell for under retail I’m all in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Moggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 10:05 PM   #64
Jonesy2099
"TRF" Member

I think Rolex MSRP/ RRP prices are good value but if you are thinking of paying over then you need to consider alternative brands. There are plenty of superb watches out there.
Jonesy2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 10:14 PM   #65
Jacobson
"TRF" Member

Paid a circa 25% premium on a black DaytonaC this time last year, happy with it.
Old 17 April 2019, 10:32 PM   #66
nikesupremedunk
"TRF" Member

I bought from grey before the shortage and saved thousands. Also bought from them when there was a shortage and paid slightly more. All in all, it pretty much evened out for me in the end. Would I pay $25k for a Daytona C? Hell no. But would I pay $1000 more for a watch I want now? Definitely.

Grey is the only dealer that wanted my money. Apparently my money is no good at AD’s so they can shove it and I’ll just pay the extra to someone that wants my business.
Old 17 April 2019, 10:58 PM   #67
ricardo-sf
"TRF" Member

poll needs a 3rd option --

"I have - but did not pay a premium"
ricardo-sf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 11:08 PM   #68
ricardo-sf
"TRF" Member

one thing that bugs me is that there is an undercurrent at TRF that paying a large premium (like BLRO) at a grey dealer is a bad thing or a less than smart thing.

But heck -- If i had $50M in the bank, i don't think that $10k in premium would slow me down in acquiring something i coveted.

-- i dont have $50M .. (or even $5m) - so i'll wait for MSRP. -- but i recognize that for some folks spending the extra $10k on a BLRO at grey the threshold of how much money they have in the bank is much lower, like possibly just $10k, and to them i say: "go get em tiger", YOLO.
ricardo-sf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 11:20 PM   #69
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

This means I will not be landing a hot piece anytime soon. I will not kiss the axx of the salespeople at these stores, or be bundled, or buy jewelry I don't want.

Yesterday, my wife was in NYC at Hudson Yard. I asked her to stop in to WOS and inquire about the GMT Pepsi. The salesperson said they don't have it in stock and generally sell to existing customers. True or not true? I don't know. But my guess is that many people put their names on multiple AD lists, so when they get the call to buy, their name is moot on another list and eventually skipped over. I think these so called "lists" are smoke and mirrors, but in the meantime no buying over msrp for me.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2019, 11:55 PM   #70
DrThom
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliminator View Post
Just curious about how many members have purchased grey market for a hot piece (ie BLNR, BLRO, Daytona).

I know paying over MSRP is a controversial topic and many say they wouldn't go a penny over. But in this current environment - for those of you who really want a piece... How many have actually ponied up the cash and pulled the trigger? It's gotta be happening because these pieces are definitely selling as seen on watchrecon, etc.

Pics if you have 'em and stories about the kick in the pants you felt when you made the move are welcome :)
It used to be a case of reaching out to the Grey market or a trusted vendor was done as a means to get a "good deal"? WTH happened?!

It seems that Rolex in attempting to control the market via supply vs demand has only elevated the profitability of the very people they wished to control, that being the secondary market.

Personally, there's no way in hell I'll ever pay at or above MSRP for any watch on the secondary market because it violates the very premise of going to the secondary market. As long as there are WIS out there willing to do so, we'll always have this result.
DrThom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 12:13 AM   #71
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Many will mock me, but I paid over list through a gray for this.

I dont plan on moving it, and it's one of my favourite references.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Outfit matches the watch perfectly.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 12:15 AM   #72
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by myusernamez View Post
You don't lose time while waiting for a watch to arrive and it doesn't cost you anything. So that big boss statement you are trying to make is false.

That comment only makes sense if you would make more money when buying grey and make it faster instead of waiting for MSRP. Which would never be the case for a watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
That would.make sense if we were discussing getting a watch at an AD by actually camping out on their sidewalk for 6 months or cutting the owners grass for a year. It's an expression I apply when deciding to pay someone to paint my house so I don't need to spend hours and hours of my time doing it.

I don't buy it as an arguement when we are simply talking about paying significantly more just to get something sooner.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
He's talking about waiting, not a difficult concept to grasp, just ask Gordon Gekko who defined being wealthy as not having to waste time. Didn't mean anything to me when I was a teenager but now I get it.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 12:19 AM   #73
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

https://www.watchrecon.com/?query=blro

It's crazy - look at all the Pepsi's that have sold recently in the 16-17k range. Some of them in HOURS of the posting
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 12:19 AM   #74
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I don't fit either of those options either. I'm never desparate to get any certain watch. In my long history the BLRO was the first watch I ever had to wait for and it was reasonable at seven months.
The next watch I would like to have is a Black Daytona and I believe I will have it this year from the same AD. Buying from grey/AD is not a moral issue to me just a practical decision.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 12:20 AM   #75
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Outfit matches the watch perfectly.
Thanks my friend ... it's my only sweatshirt...

brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 12:25 AM   #76
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
I don't fit either of those options either. I'm never desparate to get any certain watch. In my long history the BLRO was the first watch I ever had to wait for and it was reasonable at seven months.
The next watch I would like to have is a Black Daytona and I believe I will have it this year from the same AD. Buying from grey/AD is not a moral issue to me just a practical decision.

7 months isn't bad at all. For 7 months, I really think 99% of the community would wait it out. I think the issue a lot of enthusiasts are facing is that the wait could be YEARS without any clear idea of when.

Theres a lot of talk about buying other great watches that are readily available but what if there isn't any interest in those pieces?
Old 18 April 2019, 12:26 AM   #77
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

How many members have purchased grey at a premium for a hot piece?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Many will mock me, but I paid over list through a gray for this.

I dont plan on moving it, and it's one of my favourite references.

Beautiful! What's the ref number? I love blue panerais :D
Old 18 April 2019, 12:29 AM   #78
Milehighmiracle
"TRF" Member

It’s already hard enough to stomach MSRP - I couldn’t do it unless it was for a very slight premium (500-1000).
Milehighmiracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 12:31 AM   #79
justdate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
I haven’t, but then I paid a premium at my AD for gold pieces in the past instead of saving a few quid going grey. My AD hasn’t forgotten this.
justdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 12:36 AM   #80
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
He's talking about waiting, not a difficult concept to grasp, just ask Gordon Gekko who defined being wealthy as not having to waste time. Didn't mean anything to me when I was a teenager but now I get it.
I grasp it, I just am saying that the time vs money equation has traditionally been about trading one for the other (as in paying someone $20 an hour to wax your boat so you are free to go make $200 an hour lawyering or something...and not about paying just to get something a few months sooner. Financially, paying $6,000 extra to get a watch a year sooner is equivilant to renting a watch for $500 a month.

I don't care what others do but can we at least agree there is a difference?

zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 12:48 AM   #81
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Look there are both fair agreements between sticking to your guns and not paying the premium vs. those who are willing to do so. There is no right or wrong and everyone is free to do whatever they like with their time and money.

Everyone who truly wants these hot models are almost always willing to wait an extended period of time to get their watch, but that is assuming they are actually allocated one and will in fact get one. With what’s happening in the market most will not be able to.

That’s equally why we see numerous threads with “If I got to XXXXX will I get a BLRO/BLNR/DaytonaC, etc”. We all laugh at those but those threads are usually based on the fact that the individual has no options at home. People making comments of my AD always pull through and I’m happy to wait a few years, I applaud either your AD is great and true or that you are optimistic. Not all local markets are the same. What might be possible in your city does not apply to world stage.

If you want the watch and your only means is going grey, go for it.

And historically the Daytona as example always had a premium. The modern/today's premium may seem high but you also dealing with more individuals who want watches. You are dealing with a market where many watches are selling extremely strong and a vintage market that has gone insane. People are too arbitrarily stuck on the MSRP number... as soon as it becomes discontinued we don’t hear a peep about the no-no premium. $25k on a Daytona may be a tough pill to swallow but it’s one of the original if not the original watch that commanded a premium and wait. Now that other models are hot and vintage Daytona’s have hit the stratosphere, the Daytona has equally extended further. For many the current Daytona C is already discontinued. They simply can’t get it via an AD.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 12:53 AM   #82
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
Look there are both fair agreements between sticking to your guns and not paying the premium vs. those who are willing to do so. There is no right or wrong and everyone is free to do whatever they like with their time and money.

Everyone who truly wants these hot models are almost always willing to wait an extended period of time to get their watch, but that is assuming they are actually allocated one and will in fact get one. With what’s happening in the market most will not be able to.

That’s equally why we see numerous threads with “If I got to XXXXX will I get a BLRO/BLNR/DaytonaC, etc”. We all laugh at those but those threads are usually based on the fact that the individual has no options at home. People making comments of my AD always pull through and I’m happy to wait a few years, I applaud either your AD is great and true or that you are optimistic. Not all local markets are the same. What might be possible in your city does not apply to world stage.

If you want the watch and your only means is going grey, go for it.

And historically the Daytona as example always had a premium. The modern/today's premium may seem high but you also dealing with more individuals who want watches. You are dealing with a market where many watches are selling extremely strong and a vintage market that has gone insane. People are too arbitrarily stuck on the MSRP number... as soon as it becomes discontinued we don’t hear a peep about the no-no premium. $25k on a Daytona may be a tough pill to swallow but it’s one of the original if not the original watch that commanded a premium and wait. Now that other models are hot and vintage Daytona’s have hit the stratosphere, the Daytona has equally extended further. For many the current Daytona C is already discontinued. They simply can get it.
I am not so much stuck on MSRP other than it happens to be the lowest possible price you can pay to get a SS model. If the blue Skydweller had a $21,000 MSRP I would still consider it overpriced.

zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 01:01 AM   #83
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Fortunate to have bought from ADs at retail or TS at a discount prior to when the supposed shortage began. If I were to approach this hobby today, 10% would be my max from TS. Ok going on AD list and wait or buy something else.

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 01:08 AM   #84
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
I am not so much stuck on MSRP other than it happens to be the lowest possible price you can pay to get a SS model. If the blue Skydweller had a $21,000 MSRP I would still consider it overpriced.

That is again assuming you can get it at MSRP. Not all people have that option so that is not the lowest price for others. Overpriced in your standards, market price for others.

And not so long ago, the lowest price on most watches were sold below MSRP. So has everyone been lured in to pay the MSRP premium for those watches or is that now the market norm. No different than the current situation of paying above MSRP. It’s just a number.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 01:12 AM   #85
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Bought my 116500 from Bob's at considerably less than they were selling for on the Forum. It was in perfect shape. I owned it for a year or so and traded it into an AD for a significant profit. Buying right doesn't necessarily mean buying at list or below, fwiw.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 01:24 AM   #86
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Bought my 116500 from Bob's at considerably less than they were selling for on the Forum. It was in perfect shape. I owned it for a year or so and traded it into an AD for a significant profit. Buying right doesn't necessarily mean buying at list or below, fwiw.

Traded into an ad? Do you mean grey seller? Why would anyone AD pay over MSRP for this piece? Was it an AD with a pre-owned section?
Old 18 April 2019, 01:27 AM   #87
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliminator View Post
Traded into an ad? Do you mean grey seller? Why would anyone AD pay over MSRP for this piece? Was it an AD with a pre-owned section?
Yes, the AD paid $2K+ more than I paid for the watch. They have a strong estate and used business. Perhaps they felt they could sell it at a profit. It's not like Rolex is providing an endless supply of hard to get pieces; that's why they're are to get.

Old 18 April 2019, 01:31 AM   #88
Coopdog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Yes, the AD paid $2K+ more than I paid for the watch. They have a strong estate and used business.

I fully don’t understand this. It’s a Rolex AD, who can only sell this watch for $12.4k NEW per “the rules,” but they will sell it USED for $25k? I feel like that violates the spirit of the AD/customer relationship...

Coopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2019, 01:33 AM   #89
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
I have a philosophical aversion to paying a gray dealer a premium price. But it's easy for me to stick to my principals because I have the Rolex watch I always wanted. I'm good with my GMT Master II BLRO. Not having the burning desire for an unobtainable watch makes sticking to my principals moot.
Old 18 April 2019, 01:35 AM   #90
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopdog View Post
I fully don’t understand this. It’s a Rolex AD, who can only sell this watch for $12.4k NEW per “the rules,” but they will sell it USED for $25k? I feel like that violates the spirit of the AD/customer relationship...

Their words were "if some wiseguy comes in having to have the watch, right now," they will sell it for what they can. I see no issue what so ever. I sold them 19 watches in a single deal and picked up the Pt Daytona at a discount and without tax. I also picked up a watch (DJ) for my wife and had my ExpII serviced by Rolex at their expense.