The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 14 August 2019, 03:47 AM   #1
Voltime
"TRF" Member

Rolex bubbleback - need information

I was handed down this Rolex bubbleback and despite searching all over the internet...I can't find one with a dial that looks just like it. So, I'm having trouble nailing down any information about it other than it likely being from the 40s. It currently is inoperable and I might see about having it repaired, but I really want to know more about it first. The local dealer said he had no information on it and wouldn't work on it. Any feedback or information is greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190813_132843(1).jpg (272.3 KB, 128 views)
Voltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2019, 01:02 AM   #2
Voltime
"TRF" Member

Been doing more digging and managed to find some photos of Rolex bubblebacks with a similar dial and hands...but not a perfect match. I'm leaning towards this being a 5050 model that has lost a good bit of its lume from the hour markers. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I would definitely like to see this watch back up and running so it can see decades more use.
Old 15 August 2019, 09:43 AM   #3
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Reference number should be located on the inside back of the case.

You said the watch was handed down, I assume in the family?
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2019, 10:21 AM   #4
Voltime
"TRF" Member

It was a great aunt's first husband's watch that she kept put away after he passed. Before she died, she gave my father this watch and the Rolex two-tone Datejust w/diamond dial that belonged to her second husband (passed two years prior). My father gave me this watch. There are no strong sentimental attachments due to it originally belonging to someone I didn't know well, but I have a strong respect for the quality and heritage of the watch and would like to see it operational again. I haven't removed the back because I'm not sure of the best way to do it and I don't want to damage anything. Any advice on that is appreciated. I've started taking a real interest in nice automatic watches and this one just feels like holding a piece of history...very cool.
Old 15 August 2019, 10:56 AM   #5
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Just curious if you knew much of the history.
I don't think there were any Rolex dealers in the USA until the 1950's.
Most of the bubblebacks I have found came from military personnel that were there during WWII or the Germany occupation.

Yes, you would need a specific wrench to open the case back, or the teeth on back will get stripped.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote